Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I caught up on some comedies, watched 30 Minutes or Less, Horrible Bosses, and Zack & Miri.

None were standouts, but I thought each had it's moments. I'm a sucker for Liz Banks so I enjoyed Zack & Miri quite a bit, plus it's homage to Monroeville, :pimp:

Horrible Bosses was probably my favorite of the three, just because I enjoyed each of the bosses probably more than I enjoyed the characters.

- Arbitage is awesome, super slick movie about a hedge fund manager.
- About Cherry the new james franco thing, is an utter waste of time.

Who's in Arbitrage? Is it kind of like Margin Call?

Dirk, JA, what are those "Steelbooks" you guys speak of? Do all Blu's have Steelbooks, or only special movies have those?

I caught up on some comedies, watched 30 Minutes or Less, Horrible Bosses, and Zack & Miri.

None were standouts, but I thought each had it's moments. I'm a sucker for Liz Banks so I enjoyed Zack & Miri quite a bit, plus it's homage to Monroeville, :pimp:

Horrible Bosses was probably my favorite of the three, just because I enjoyed each of the bosses probably more than I enjoyed the characters.

The whole part with Justin Long at the high school reunion in Zach & Miri was so damn hilarious

Who's in Arbitrage? Is it kind of like Margin Call?
Dirk, JA, what are those "Steelbooks" you guys speak of? Do all Blu's have Steelbooks, or only special movies have those?

Nah, :lol: .

Steelbooks are special cases that some movies come with. They are usually exclusive to a store. Best Buy has some, Target has had some from time to time, but for collectors, some of them won't even buy a Blu-ray if it's not a steelbook. Personally, if it's there and it's a decent price, I'll pick it up.

Examples of a couple steelbooks I own:

-26586032809448086770.jpg

theavengersfutureshopsteelbook2.jpg

scarface-steelbook-mm-1-original.jpg

0.jpg

0.jpg

Some of these are considered "metal-packs," but that's just getting nitpicky. People are mostly interested in cases that aren't plastic. Basically just highly sought-after, as are slipcovers and digibooks. Normally you'll have to pay collector's prices (40+) if you are trying to get this on Amazon/eBay. I know the Iron Man 2 I got is probably worth a bit because it's 40/30,000. Used copies go for 50-75 bucks of that.

There's a ton more steelbooks that come out in Canada though. Tons of films released on Blu-ray in Canada are steelbooks.

Last edited:
"...Is that like a sequel, or...?" :lol:
Excuse me, can I get a cup of coffee... black?
Can't you see we talking, white?

:lol:

And yeah, I normally find Justin Long incredibly annoying in a lot of stuff, but I thought he came off well in this movie.

So, now that the summer is officially over, if you had to live with one, The Dark Knight Rises or The Avengers?

My high has died now, and I think I will enjoy The Avengers more often than I will The Dark Knight Rises. I still enjoyed both a lot, but if I had to live with one, I think I have to go with The Avengers. TDKR is a better film aesthetically, but I got everything I wanted out of The Avengers.

So I caught The Possession... :lol:

I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I had a horror-itch, and I thought if anything, it would be half as good as Insidious was.

Well, it wasn't. :lol:

I'll give it props in that there were maybe a scene and a half that were creepy, like sitting in the dark in a morgue looking for a possessed little girl. But she wasn't really that creepy herself. The film was made to scare anyone under 16, and I'm sure it did for some of them, but it just didn't do it for me. Maybe it's just a sign of how I'm maturing as a movie-goer. Back in the day, The Ring/Grudge frightened me. If I saw them today for the first time? I'm not sure. Neither really has the lasting-appeal like The Exorcist/Ringu do.

The entire reason I wanted to see it was because of the badass song they played in the trailer. Of course, the song isn't even in the movie... :lol: Each time they showed passage of time they started to play a gong from the song, but never played the entire thing.

I felt bad because Jeffrey Dean Morgan man, he really tried hard in this one. Kyra was pretty bad, everyone else in the film was pretty bad, and I checked out when a bunch of Jewish rabbi try to help JDM out. Nope, I'm done. :lol: . But Morgan still tried. The worst part of these films (like The Devil Inside, The Apparition, etc.) is that they never know how to end their films.

4/10.

Any early reviews on that new Joaquin movie about the cult? From the trailer and commercial it looks great and I can't wait for it.

It's got an 89 on Metacritic. The only bad review is from some tool that gave Melancholia a 0, among other mind baffling scores.

I might see it this weekend. The consensus on Rotten Tomatoes sounds good 
Smart, powerfully acted, beautifully filmed, and solidly engrossing, The Master extends writer/director Paul Thomas Anderson's winning streak of challenging films for serious audiences.
I'm also tempted to sneak into like 3 other movies. I have a feeling House at the End of the Street is awful since there aren't any reviews before its release (which is usually a bad sign). But Jennifer Lawrence looks extra good in it.. so there's that.

Plus End of Watch has gotten good reviews and seems interesting (plus I like Anna Kendrick).. and because I love Amy Adams I might have to double down and see Trouble with the Curve too.

I don't need reviews to tell me that House at the End of the Street will be terrible. Jennifer Lawrence looks terrible man, she looks like a caked up 14 year old. I have no interested in seeing it. Saw the trailer for the first time today in front of the very mediocre The Possession, which looks like it's made for the same audience. No thanks.

Yall see the new Robocop suit? Yay or nay? At first I was like ehhh, but I can see it pulled off.

Also, caught up with Sleepy Hollow for the first time in probably 5-7 years tonight. Man, I miss early Tim Burton. So good man. Ed Wood, Sleepy Hollow, Batman, Beetlejuice, Edward. :smh:

Anyone read Maximum Ride, The Devil in the White City, or Beautiful Creatures?

Devil/White is the Leo project comin up next year ain't it? I think Kev and RyGuy both read it, I've only read up some like wiki notes on the premise of the story, but not the book itself. I'm lazy.

House at the end of the street... Good god did it suck. Jennifer Lawrence's breasts looked great though. 2/10... Each breast gets a point.

End of Watch was fantastic. Tense, dramatic, good action, surprisingly funny. As with most of the found footage movies, there's some things you have to ignore, such as using the format as a style and not 100% faithful, but that was the only complaint. 8/10

House at the end of the street... Good god did it suck. Jennifer Lawrence's breasts looked great though. 2/10... Each breast gets a point.
End of Watch was fantastic. Tense, dramatic, good action, surprisingly funny. As with most of the found footage movies, there's some things you have to ignore, such as using the format as a style and not 100% faithful, but that was the only complaint. 8/10[/quote

Telling you man, we're not the audience for that.. :x

The Devil in the White City was a fantastic read. Really engrossing, even the parts that arent about HH Holmes. Felt like fiction in many parts. Right now it's among my favorites from what little I've read in the past few years.

Just bought it off your recommendation noskey. Better be good

They have used ones for under one buck on amazon if anyone's interested. 3 99 shipping

Last edited:
Just watched Martha Marcy May Marlene for the second time. Incredible.

It's on the Cinemax channels these days. Highly recommended. Easily one of my favorites of the past five years.

The Master was good, but not great. The acting was excellent, but the narrative didn't really go anywhere after 2 hours - I felt as though there needed to be something else happening in the movie, maybe a defined villain or counterforce to Dodd's Cause. Maybe I need to watch it again - I liked There Will Be Blood a lot more on the first viewing, though.

I thought Arbitrage was terrible. The acting sucked, there was no reason to care about any of the characters, and the story reeked of a CBS made-for-TV movie. Really disappointing. It was the writer/director's first movie, and it definitely showed. It had lines like, "It's a cold world out there." "Then you better get a warm coat." :stoneface:

Movies I want to see that are out right now are Robot & Frank, Lawless and Premium Rush. Hopefully going to see Robot & Frank either today or tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom