Oklahoma City Thunder vs San Antonio Spurs - OKC WINS in 6, Congrats!

Over the course of 11 games, he's missed 15 more than Durant. That's all that chart tells us. He's also averaged about 2 TOs per game, which is better than his average, and around 4-5 assists and 4-5 rebounds a game. Westbrook, along with KD and Harden gets to the line a lot, the three of them are top ten in the league.

I'm obviously a Westbrook fan, but I do my best to stay rational and unbiased.. but I just don't get this recurring storyline of Russ being the downfall of this team and that Durant secretly hates him. Durant, Harden, Westbrook, are three of the best and youngest players in the game, on a team that's improved every year they've been together, and they're going up against a veteran team playing dominant basketball, with a HOF coach, HOF PF/C, a PG that's playing career ball, and a deep team filled with great role players who know their role. If they lose this series, even if they're swept, it's hardly time to panic.

Few teams in this league would complain if they had a "problem" like OKC. You could replace Russ with Rondo and the team's offense would probably flow better because Rondo is obviously the superior passer and true PG. But adding a guy like Nash or Rondo won't make Ibaka score like KG, or give Perkins a dominant post game like Shaq. And yeah, a PG focused on passing more than scoring would free up Durant to score more.. but it's not like the guy is struggling to put up points. He's the 3 time scoring champ.

Originally Posted by Savraj1

Originally Posted by HankMoody

It's hard to believe that OKC's big 3 scored 88 yet the team was never within even 5 points and often more than 10 back in the second half. 88.
Clearly the Thunder are not as deep as people claim them to be. Also, I think it's a result of Pop shrewdly playing "pick your poison."
THIS!!! WHen you look at a box score and see Durant with 31, Harden with 30, and Westbrook with 27 and not think it was a blowout win in OKC's favor.  Has anyteam ever gone undefeated an entire playoff??

a few things...

- I said this a lot last year in the WCF and its true again this year...Scott Brooks is getting destroyed. Straight up outcoached. I think most bums could take this team to the WCF but it's going to take a real coach to make the real leap of being a champion. Prove your worth one time Scotty

- I love Westbrook but if he keeps on attempting more shots that Durant this series will be over before he knows it. Durant is obviously shooting a real good percentage so feed him as much as possible. Once again this sounds a lot like last year

- This Spurs offense is beyond unreal. Everything is an open shot but with that being said this Thunder defense seems real slow compared to what I've seen from them before. I expect it to look a lot better at home. Spurs penetrate into the lane every single possession, not making them uncomfortable at all.

Lastly with all that being said I think this series is far from over. OKC will win game 3, but its that tricky game 4 that will be the victory that is most important.

Originally Posted by MonStar1

Originally Posted by Dcypoe

Originally Posted by buggz05

KD is not even carrying this team in the playoffs. KD has consistently defended Russ' role of being the aggressive attacker. I think your missing the message.
you really think KD is gonna bust out with "yeah, Russ is taking too many shots," right now, in the middle of the playoffs...Russ is being the aggressive attacker, but he's missing waay to many shots.
...but when is he?  I mean KD gotta say or do something.  His friendly demeanor and Coach Brooks offense has created this Westbrook monster.  Fans see 1. KD and 2. Westbrook...but I'm starting to wonder if KD sees it like that?  Realtalk,  he stay talking that 1A 1B stuff and Westbrook is doing the Birdman hand rub in the shadows planning Worldwide domination like Baby Stewie.  This won't end well for OKC.  KD didn't put his foot down early as the alpha dog.  As great as Russell is hes a 6'3 slasher.  KD is a 6'10 skilled perimeter player.  You tell me who's the unique talent and who should be the #1 option.  
They are both very unique. Russell has unmatched athleticism at his position imo. He's a freak of nature. 
IMO half of Russ' crazy shots are because the offense is not even designed for russ to have a high percentage shot.  However I do agree with everyone in the regard that Russ needs to take better shots, as in he needs mature from there. The kid has matured greatly in the span of a year though.

Originally Posted by Dcypoe

you really think KD is gonna bust out with "yeah, Russ is taking too many shots," right now, in the middle of the playoffs...Russ is being the aggressive attacker, but he's missing waay to many shots.
...but when is he?  I mean KD gotta say or do something.  His friendly demeanor and Coach Brooks offense has created this Westbrook monster.  Fans see 1. KD and 2. Westbrook...but I'm starting to wonder if KD sees it like that?  Realtalk,  he stay talking that 1A 1B stuff and Westbrook is doing the Birdman hand rub in the shadows planning Worldwide domination like Baby Stewie.  This won't end well for OKC.  KD didn't put his foot down early as the alpha dog.  As great as Russell is hes a 6'3 slasher.  KD is a 6'10 skilled perimeter player.  You tell me who's the unique talent and who should be the #1 option.  
They are both very unique. Russell has unmatched athleticism at his position imo. He's a freak of nature. 
IMO half of Russ' crazy shots are because the offense is not even designed for russ to have a high percentage shot.  However I do agree with everyone in the regard that Russ needs to take better shots, as in he needs mature from there. The kid has matured greatly in the span of a year though.
Nothing we havent seen before....even D.Rose and John Wall can do what he does.  Now show me a 6'10 player with the perimeter game of KD? I'll wait....he's a one of one. 

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Over the course of 11 games, he's missed 15 more than Durant. That's all that chart tells us. He's also averaged about 2 TOs per game, which is better than his average, and around 4-5 assists and 4-5 rebounds a game. Westbrook, along with KD and Harden gets to the line a lot, the three of them are top ten in the league.

I'm obviously a Westbrook fan, but I do my best to stay rational and unbiased.. but I just don't get this recurring storyline of Russ being the downfall of this team and that Durant secretly hates him. Durant, Harden, Westbrook, are three of the best and youngest players in the game, on a team that's improved every year they've been together, and they're going up against a veteran team playing dominant basketball, with a HOF coach, HOF PF/C, a PG that's playing career ball, and a deep team filled with great role players who know their role. If they lose this series, even if they're swept, it's hardly time to panic.
You can't blame Russ for taking that many shots though. In the first two rounds, he had a clear advantage over his two opposing PGs, while KD has to go up against two very good perimeter defenders in Marion/MWP. Yes, KD has shot much better, but it's not like Russ has been playing terribly. He's at 45%, 1.6 turnovers per game, while KD is 49%, 3.1 turnovers per game. I'm not saying you specifically Big J, I'm referring to others when I say this; you can say whatever you want about Russ, but if they do end up losing this series, it's not because of his play, it's because the Spurs played better.

I might panic a bit outside of their big 3 if they get swept. Just imagine if they had Russ, KD, Serge, and Tyson.
eek.gif
. They could've traded Serge+Jeff Green for a real nice player to add to that core. You can't go ahead and say they'd draft Harden after that, maybe they do, but that's going too deep into speculation.

Also, something no one has mentioned that people always rip LeBron for; KD is 1/5 for first two games of the series in the fourth.

Isn't an MVP caliber kind of guy supposed to step up in the WCF and make baskets for his team? Same kind of criticism LeBron gets all the damn time.
laugh.gif

Nothing we havent seen before....even D.Rose and John Wall can do what he does.  Now show me a 6'10 player with the perimeter game of KD? I'll wait....he's a one of one. 

They don't play defense like Russ does. And today's game should not be the case for Russ defense, that falls on the pick and roll defense/help defense. 
If KD wants to be the big man then KD needs to step up and be the big man. Get open, make plays instead of passing the ball. No one on that team has ever told KD that he can't shoot the ball more. Not Russ, not Brooks, not Presti. No one.

Originally Posted by AG 47

Originally Posted by bakedFresh707

Because the Robinson's, Duncan's, Parker's, and Ginobili's just grown on trees.

last years Heat proved that you need a coach for every great team

Totally agree. Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all time. But to say he's better than Phil because Phil had Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe is a baseless argument. I mean, Duncan is widely regarded as the best player EVER at his position. And the rest? They're only hall of famers
laugh.gif
MJ is regarded as the best player of all-time. I'm a Laker fan, but Pop keeping the core of this Spurs team in championship contention for over a decade speaks volumes.

Originally Posted by goldenarmz97

Originally Posted by bakedFresh707

last years Heat proved that you need a coach for every great team

Totally agree. Pop is one of the greatest coaches of all time. But to say he's better than Phil because Phil had Jordan, Pippen, Shaq, and Kobe is a baseless argument. I mean, Duncan is widely regarded as the best player EVER at his position. And the rest? They're only hall of famers
laugh.gif
MJ is regarded as the best player of all-time. I'm a Laker fan, but Pop keeping the core of this Spurs team in championship contention for over a decade speaks volumes.

David Robinson? 

Originally Posted by Prince Of Shoes HEAD

Originally Posted by goldenarmz97

laugh.gif

David Robinson? 
Dave was a key component in the 1st championship. The second? He was on his way out. Tim played alot at center that year.

a few tweets from around the NBA

Deron Williams: The way the spurs play is so much fun to watch! Extra passes are a lost art! yesterday

JR Smith: Even if you don't like the #Spurs you have to respect them! they play the same way all the time no matter what an together! #POPCOTY yesterday

Ricky Rubio: Dictionary: Team; San Antonio Spurs... OMG! yesterday
Jared Sullinger: Drivers, great passers, shooters, rebounders, great defense....... Name one thing the spurs don't have??? yesterday

Jared Dudley: OMG!!!!! The SPURS are toying with OKC now lol yesterday
JJ Redick: I don't root for other teams but the basketball lover in me really enjoys watching the Spurs play. Seems like every play is the right play. yesterday
Damien Wilkins: That is how the game of basketball is supposed to be played!! #spurs #NBAPlayoffs yesterday

Jamal Crawford: Spurs do it the right way, every time..(Pause) yesterday

Ty Lawson: Spurs spacing is crazy... I think they should put sepholosha on Parker so Westbrook can attack on offense yesterday

Greg Monroe: This is as close to perfect bball you can get.. yesterday

Shawn Marion: This game is nuts SA ball movement is serious yesterday

Chase Budinger: The spurs just look like machines out there! #nba yesterday

Adonal Foyle: I figure it out Tim Duncan made a deal with the devil and he got 10 years of youth. yesterday

Marshon Brooks: Them SPURS tough.... yesterday

Landry Fields: Timmy D.. looking ten years younger! yesterday

Jodie Meeks: The Spurs play great team basketball! yesterday

Originally Posted by Big J 33

J, you're one of the few guys on here who pretty much always makes sense when you post. Well said.
Anyway, can't front... I expected OKC to win in 5. I still don't think the series is over yet though.

Big J 33 always makes salient points but Westbrook is not a PG, he's a scorer & a scorer only. He pointed out the Thunder role players basically shooting 20% or so for the game but what he failed to realize is that Westbrook didn't do a good job of involving those guys & getting them shots. They can't create for themselves. Conversely you saw Parker do exactly what Westbrook should've done which is dribble penetrate & get his teammates the ball along with scoring when the opportunity presented itself.

One can stat monger all they want but that doesn't come close to telling the whole story (gotta love what fantasy sports has done for sports culture). Kyle Boller's career passer rating is 56.7 & Michael Vick's is 56. Does that mean Boller is as good a QB or slightly better than Vick?

This should be a different series when it gets to Oklahoma City (hopefully).

What an asinine analysis. Maybe Splitter, Diaw, and Duncan just catch and finish better than Perkins, Ibaka, and Collison. Dudes literally fumble the ball uncontested and miss dunks. It doesn't matter who passes them the ball.

And Brooks got us off to a bad deficit in the late 1st, early 2nd when he went with our bench guys (no Russ or KD) for 6 minutes and Manu feasted, think we were down 6 and it pushes to 14 before he bought them back

Edit: Looked it up. KD has 12 in the first, sat until the 7:00 mark of the second, during which the Spurs went on a 14-7 run. And Fish for the entire 4th? Opening every game with a Perkins post up? Might as well just punt the ball into the stands, same result.

Well...I give it TP. He backed up his words. He is killing Russ.
And OKC's offense is not the problem. That kind of output from their main 3 beats every other team in the NBA. The Spurs are just manhandling them. Ball movement is damn near flawless. If they not getting shots at the rim, someone is wide open on a kick out EVERY play.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I have no idea what OKC tries to accomplish on offense most of the time. And I don't blame Westbrook, Brooks should be able to figure things out a little better.

And there's no way that they're going to beat the Spurs with this freelance offense that they've been doing so far.

The problem to me isn't that Westbrook is taking more shots than KD but its the kinda shots that he's taking. He is a explosives scorer and he has a big advantage over most PG's cuz of his athleticism but he dribbles way to much and to many times he comes down the court and shots a bad jump shot w/o even making a pass. KD has to get some dog in him and be more aggressive, getting the ball and asking for the ball. Forget all this being nice and being friends #%#%.

Basically....at a certain point and time you just have to commit some hard fouls and be like "we are not going to let you run that pick and roll all game and get wide open easy jumpers."  Get tough...start playing like this is the WCF and you have a shot a title. 

OKC reminds me of the Sacramento Kings teams earlier in the decade with Webber and Jason Williams.  Super talented....but lacking toughness and their regular season success/stlye of basketball didn't translate into postseason success. 

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

Basically....at a certain point and time you just have to commit some hard fouls and be like "we are not going to let you run that pick and roll all game and get wide open easy jumpers."  Get tough...start playing like this is the WCF and you have a shot a title. 

OKC reminds me of the Sacramento Kings teams earlier in the decade with Webber and Jason Williams.  Super talented....but lacking toughness and their regular season success/stlye of basketball didn't translate into postseason success. 

So on point with everything in your post, had to quote it for emphasis.

Originally Posted by psk2310

Bg J 33 always makes salient points but Westbrook is not a PG, he's a scorer & a scorer only. He pointed out the Thunder role players basically shooting 20% or so for the game but what he failed to realize is that Westbrook didn't do a good job of involving those guys & getting them shots. They can't create for themselves. Conversely you saw Parker do exactly what Westbrook should've done which is dribble penetrate & get his teammates the ball along with scoring when the opportunity presented itself.

One can stat monger all they want but that doesn't come close to telling the whole story (gotta love what fantasy sports has done for sports culture). Kyle Boller's career passer rating is 56.7 & Michael Vick's is 56. Does that mean Boller is as good a QB or slightly better than Vick?

This should be a different series when it gets to Oklahoma City (hopefully).
I love how just saying FG% is now stat mongering. I didn't bring in complex or detailed advanced stats, it's a simply number. I watched the game, I saw Perkins, Collison, Ibaka fumble the ball after a good pass right under the hoop. The Spurs big men are superior passers and finishers, so yes.. I fully expect if Parker dumps it off to them that they either finish or look for the open man, two things that the Thunder bigs don't do as well. Westbrook doesn't drive with the intention of passing enough, that's completely true, but his supporting cast is not as balanced and capable as Parker's, it's that simple.
All that said, I'm not forgetting how fantastic SA has been playing. Incredible ball movement and spacing, Parker is running Russ all over the court and through multiple screens every play, and unsurprisingly, Pop is doing a great job.

Even I respect and acknowledge field goal percentage. That isn't an advanced stat in anyway.

Didn't think the Spurs were the real deal... I now believe it!

I just hope whoever wins beats the Heat.

Back
Top Bottom