P90X Discussion

i'm considering this. what (besides the dvd's) do i need to buy? it would be nice to work out at home, but since i normally go to the gym..i don'treally have any weights or anything at home. so what exactly is needed? ive seen people mentioning dumbells, pull up bars, etc..

Originally Posted by msw1233

i'm considering this. what (besides the dvd's) do i need to buy? it would be nice to work out at home, but since i normally go to the gym..i don't really have any weights or anything at home. so what exactly is needed? ive seen people mentioning dumbells, pull up bars, etc..

you definately need a good pull up bar because you use it alot, they recommend a yoga mat, and dumbells that is it. Also a nice open space to do the workout

i'm considering this. what (besides the dvd's) do i need to buy? it would be nice to work out at home, but since i normally go to the gym..i don't really have any weights or anything at home. so what exactly is needed? ive seen people mentioning dumbells, pull up bars, etc..
Write down the exercises and do it at the gym, that's what I do. Much cheaper than buying all the equipment.

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

Write down the exercises and do it at the gym, that's what I do. Much cheaper than buying all the equipment.

good idea. i wouldn't mind buying the mat and the pull up bar..because i'll use them anyway. but i wouldn't really want to buy dumbbells. are thedumbbells used in workouts every day? or would i only have to use them a couple times a week? just wondering, id like to perform the majority of the workouts @home if possible to save time.. how many days a week is this program?

can you drop significant amount of weight doing p90x? or do you use p90x to lean and shred?

Youll drop some weight, but its main objective is to get cut/lean. If youre looking at losing a relatively small amount of weight it'll accomplish that, but if youre looking at a lot of weight then it isnt right for you. The problem with p90 is that if you want to see great results you already have to be in good shape to begin.

good idea. i wouldn't mind buying the mat and the pull up bar..because i'll use them anyway. but i wouldn't really want to buy dumbbells. are the dumbbells used in workouts every day? or would i only have to use them a couple times a week? just wondering, id like to perform the majority of the workouts @ home if possible to save time.. how many days a week is this program
A mat/pull up bar is only going to run ya like $60 tops, where a good set of dumbbells will cost ya $600.

good idea. i wouldn't mind buying the mat and the pull up bar..because i'll use them anyway. but i wouldn't really want to buy dumbbells. are the dumbbells used in workouts every day? or would i only have to use them a couple times a week? just wondering, id like to perform the majority of the workouts @ home if possible to save time.. how many days a week is this program?
You'll use dumbells 3x per week for the entire program, except recovery weeks, which you'll use them 2x per week. As I said before in anearlier post, I've used dumbells that range from 5lbs to 65lbs and everything in between.

I've had this on my laptop for like a month and not used it at all
laugh.gif
...Miami in 2 months...time to get started. Sorry I don't really want to gothrough the whole thread but just doing it by the book as the manual states and taking in high amounts of protein and using whey gets the most results?

Originally Posted by Mr Kuter

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

What's the best/cheapest place to purchase adjustable dumbbells?
You can do what I just did. I bought a cheap cast iron adjustable set of dumbbells from Sports Authority. Each handle goes up to 15lbs in theset. It comes with two handles, 4x 5lb plates and 4x 2.5lb plates. I also bought 4x 10lb plates to throw on them. I can max out 35 pounds in added weightper handle at a time. If I need more weight I can just throw a bunch on one handle... somewhere up to 70 pounds. Everything cost less than $100. Ididn't want to spend $300 + on some cool adjustable dumbbells so I settled with the alternative. Dumbbells are expensive but I figured this set was thebest for the money. When I used to work out I don't think I ever curled more than 40lb dumbbells. You can go to the Sports Authority website and sign upfor their mailing list to receive $25 off a $100 purchase.

So having a gym membership is not pointless if I get this system?

Originally Posted by chisoxdavid

So having a gym membership is not pointless if I get this system?
I don't think so..I just started and I still have my membership and perform my workouts in the gym. As long as there's space and youdon't have to worry about waiting on weights/machines I'd say keep your membership. My gym is pretty small and when I go its pretty much dead so ifits generally busy when you go you might have to adjust your schedule accordingly.

im starting again this week ... took a trip in february that completely took me out of my mode/routine ... im lazy as hell when it comes to working out becauseim not overweight ... but now that i look back on it i would have been done the program by now and cut, smh at myself ...

The wknds are rough for me, but i still worked out. 2 hrs of football practice on sat. Football game sunday. Im not gonna lie, I missed legs and back on fri,but i did the ab ripper. Chest and back today. I'll check in later.

On my third week. I decided to use bands today instead of the bar, and I have to say, the bands are insane. I may just sell my chin-up bar now.

Wavered on my diet this weekend though. About 4 Oreo Cakesters and 2 Fritos Snack bags.

With all that said, satisfied with everything so far. I'm actually NOT looking forward to the recovery week, but I may take that back when the second phaserolls around.

Hope everyone else is staying strong.

Just a heads up, the "recovery" week isn't that much of a recovery week. I thought it was going to be a whole week off, but the core synergisticsworkout is IMO the first or second most difficult workout.

I'm just starting week 11 of doubles. To be honest, I can't wait for this to be over. I'm on the verge of overtraining, and my body is craving someheavy lifts. That said, I love this program.

Day 1: to say the least i almost barfed, couldnt do the whole thing but got it done to the best of my ability.

I like what I'm hearing. Hard work! And i agree with Chewtoy, do not sleep on "rest/recovery week"

Plyo was really rough yesterday. Thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. Shoulder & Arms should be easier today. You guys aren'tchecking-in anymore. I hope everyone is on track. Don't quit. The first 3 weeks will be the hardest.

Mine got delivered yesterday, going to pick it up today. Probably see what food I need to have in the house and other equipment..aiming to start Monday..

Been running and other stuff the past couple of weeks so hopefully I'm in somewhat of shape.

Originally Posted by Mr Kuter

Plyo was really rough yesterday. Thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest. Shoulder & Arms should be easier today.
I concur, today Shoulders and Arms were far better than the Plyo workout. My quads/thighs are still recovering. Yoga X tomorrow, that'll beanother adventure.

I have a run on Memorial Day too so I need to start running for that. Hopefully this damn FL rain will subside tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom