Pictures of NYC in the 80's

Most cities in the US back then were horrible, glad most of em got better ......the fashion and style in the pics tho :pimp:
I wonder why though? As far as NYC, I understand it was due to funding of the city from the late 70's and 80's as well as the crack epidemic. I'm from the DMV area and I wonder why DC was so bad as well in the 80's.
You answered your own question :lol: ...crack/drugs and the other crimes that come with it hit EVERY city hard in the 80's and early 90's ..the reason why DC was the murder capital for a few years

Bushwick 1982

West Side Highway 1980
eek.gif

South Bronx 1980

Bowery 1980. Complete 180deg.

LES
At people wanting to go back to this 
laugh.gif

mean.gif

Looks like a war zone. 

I'd like to see some before and after shots of these photos being posted....crazy how times change.

My parents came to NY in the mid 80's. My dad never got into any trouble, worked hard and still got stabbed walking home one night for his wallet :x

My mom got her train snatched on the train one day.

80s :smh:

I think when people want to go back to the 80's, I think they are referring to the closeness of the people. The 80's were like that last decade where generations of families grew up and stayed in the same place, but then in the 90's people started making more money and wanted to get out of the city life and wanted to move to FL, NC, GA, AZ, ect. I have a lot of friends that I grew up with that moved out of State. I've seen neighborhoods change face so drastically over the past 20 years.

As a former resident of the Bronx and current resident of Queens, I can say without an ounce of doubt in my mind that Queens >>>>>>> Bronx. Astoria.:evil: :pimp: :nerd:

Last edited:
Too real, growing up in the 80's in NYC was fun. Bushwick was crazy but I wouldn't trade it in for anything.

NY was the Wild West back in those days. I used to love sitting around when I was young and listening to my parents and their friends tell stories from that era. One thing that always seemed prevalent in those stories was how dangerous it was in the 80s vs the 90s. I was born in '91 so to hear the kind of things that were going as one decade moved to another was always so dope. I've always said I was born in the wrong time period. Being the age I am now (22) in the early 90s seems like it woulda been for me lol

Last edited:
As a former resident of the Bronx and current resident of Queens, I can say without an ounce of doubt in my mind that Queens >>>>>>> Bronx. Astoria.:evil: :pimp: :nerd:
Stop it
I spent 10 years in the Bronx, bro. It was :x

Never been a fan.:lol:

Change your screen name fam. Reppin uptown mad hard then you sit here riding Queens even though it's a fact queens dudes is terry cloth?
:rofl:

Why you mad, though.

I tried HarlemToTheBronxToQueens, but it was too long.:frown:

Last edited:
Yeah i'll pass on the grimey 80s.. glad i only caught the very tail end of it and was too young to remember anything

Change your screen name fam. Reppin uptown mad hard then you sit here riding Queens even though it's a fact queens dudes is terry cloth.

Separate of anything you two are arguing, I always thought calling someone terry cloth is one of the most hilariously disrespectful things to call another man. haha :lol:

Carry on.

Back
Top Bottom