***PRO-AM/COLLEGE/HS BASKETBALL/AAU PLAYERS CHIME IN..AND ASK THE REF***

big supa!

yea what are the new/modified rules the put in college?

and what are the new points of emphasis ?

This is a simple one. Kickball?
1)Someone told me there is only defensive kickball? I've always played it both ways
2)Is it a kick if you go for a bounce pass and it hits the defenders foot? Some dude today said it wasn't a kick since I threw it at his foot.

1)Someone told me there is only defensive kickball? I've always played it both ways
2)Is it a kick if you go for a bounce pass and it hits the defenders foot? Some dude today said it wasn't a kick since I threw it at his foot.

Originally Posted by bigsupa

NCAA BALLERS...

IF YOU NEED MORE VERIFICATION ON THE NEW RESTRICTED AREA GET AT ME.

3_FOOT_ARC.jpg

Being a former NCAA Division 2 college basketball player and now an Assistant Men's Basketball coach at a local JUCO in Cleveland, Ohio, I think the new restricted area is great for the game. Too many times I have seen charges being called underneath the basket and changed the momentum of the game.

NCAA BALLERS...

3_FOOT_ARC.jpg

Being a former NCAA Division 2 college basketball player and now an Assistant Men's Basketball coach at a local JUCO in Cleveland, Ohio, I think the new restricted area is great for the game. Too many times I have seen charges being called underneath the basket and changed the momentum of the game.

Originally Posted by TheFuture2236

NCAA BALLERS...

3_FOOT_ARC.jpg

WELL PUT...

FOR THE LAST 2 SEASONS WE HAVE BEEN USING THE LENGTH OF THE BACKBOARD TO THE FRONT OF THE RIM AS A TRIAL BASIS ON SECONDARY DEFENDING CHARGES. NCAA FELT GUYS WHO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH A PLAY JUST SLIPPED IN AND TOOK A CHARGE AND THE OFFENSE WOULD BE PENALIZED.

NOW AS A SECONDARY DEFENDER YOU CANNOT BE TOUCHING OR BE INSIDE THE ARC CUZ IT WILL BE AN AUTOMATIC BLOCK UNLESS...YOU TAKE A KNEE TO THE CHEST OR AN ELBOW TO THE HEAD THEN ALL BETS ARE OFF.

ALSO ON A 2 ON 1 BREAK...THAT SINGLE DEFENDER IS ALWAYS THE SECONDARY DEFENDER SO MAKE SURE YOU ARE OUTSIDE THE AREA.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

1) TRUE...BUT FALSE. "KICKBALL" HAS TO BE AN INTENTIONAL KICK BY THE DEFENSIVE PLAYER...HOWEVER THE OFFENSIVE PLAYER CAN'T PUNT THE BALL ACROSS THE COURT AS A PASS.

2) IF YOU GO FOR A BOUNCE PASS OR ANY PASS AND THE DEFENDER'S FOOT IS PLANTED ON THE GROUND AND THEY DO NOT MAKE ANY MOVEMENT TO INTERFERE WITH THE PASSED BALL IT IS NOT A KICKBALL IF IT TOUCHES HIS FOOT/LEG.

Originally Posted by supahoopa

big supa!

ONLY REAL RULE CHANGES WAS THE RESTRICTED AREA THAT'S ALL AND IF A PLAYER IS BLEEDING YOU KNOW GET 20 SEC TO GET CLEANED UP B4 THE COACH HAS TO CALL A TIMEOUT TO KEEP YOU IN THE GAME. THERE IS ALSO THE RESUMPTION OF PLAY PROCEDURE THAT SAYS IF THE TEAM IS NOT READY TO PUT THE BALL IN PLAY THEY GET A VERBAL WARNING THEN A TECHNICAL FOUL.

Originally Posted by KashJunior

I'm playing my first year at a juco in CA and they just put the restricted area in. Do you know why they put it into the college game?
CUZ EVENTUALLY THEY PLAN ON MAKING ONE SET OF RULES FOR ALL 3 LEVELS..HS, NCAA, & NBA.

IF YOU ARE ONE WHO TAKES ALOT OF CHARGES THEN YOU SHOULD WORK ON YOUR FOOTING AND MAKE SURE THAT..

A. YOUR FEET ARE NOT TOUCHING THE RESTRICTED AREA
B. YOU ARE NOT IN THE RESTRICTED AREA
C. DONT BE THE SECONDARY DEFENDER

Originally Posted by henz0

Supa are u gonna be ref'n in aviator this season
nerd.gif

HENZO YOU KNOW IF IM THERE....ITS GONNA BE AND 1 CITY FOR YOU....

Originally Posted by TheFuture2236

NCAA BALLERS...

3_FOOT_ARC.jpg

WELL PUT...

FOR THE LAST 2 SEASONS WE HAVE BEEN USING THE LENGTH OF THE BACKBOARD TO THE FRONT OF THE RIM AS A TRIAL BASIS ON SECONDARY DEFENDING CHARGES. NCAA FELT GUYS WHO HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH A PLAY JUST SLIPPED IN AND TOOK A CHARGE AND THE OFFENSE WOULD BE PENALIZED.

NOW AS A SECONDARY DEFENDER YOU CANNOT BE TOUCHING OR BE INSIDE THE ARC CUZ IT WILL BE AN AUTOMATIC BLOCK UNLESS...YOU TAKE A KNEE TO THE CHEST OR AN ELBOW TO THE HEAD THEN ALL BETS ARE OFF.

ALSO ON A 2 ON 1 BREAK...THAT SINGLE DEFENDER IS ALWAYS THE SECONDARY DEFENDER SO MAKE SURE YOU ARE OUTSIDE THE AREA.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

1) TRUE...BUT FALSE. "KICKBALL" HAS TO BE AN INTENTIONAL KICK BY THE DEFENSIVE PLAYER...HOWEVER THE OFFENSIVE PLAYER CAN'T PUNT THE BALL ACROSS THE COURT AS A PASS.

2) IF YOU GO FOR A BOUNCE PASS OR ANY PASS AND THE DEFENDER'S FOOT IS PLANTED ON THE GROUND AND THEY DO NOT MAKE ANY MOVEMENT TO INTERFERE WITH THE PASSED BALL IT IS NOT A KICKBALL IF IT TOUCHES HIS FOOT/LEG.

big supa!

ONLY REAL RULE CHANGES WAS THE RESTRICTED AREA THAT'S ALL AND IF A PLAYER IS BLEEDING YOU KNOW GET 20 SEC TO GET CLEANED UP B4 THE COACH HAS TO CALL A TIMEOUT TO KEEP YOU IN THE GAME. THERE IS ALSO THE RESUMPTION OF PLAY PROCEDURE THAT SAYS IF THE TEAM IS NOT READY TO PUT THE BALL IN PLAY THEY GET A VERBAL WARNING THEN A TECHNICAL FOUL.

Originally Posted by KashJunior

I'm playing my first year at a juco in CA and they just put the restricted area in. Do you know why they put it into the college game?
CUZ EVENTUALLY THEY PLAN ON MAKING ONE SET OF RULES FOR ALL 3 LEVELS..HS, NCAA, & NBA.

IF YOU ARE ONE WHO TAKES ALOT OF CHARGES THEN YOU SHOULD WORK ON YOUR FOOTING AND MAKE SURE THAT..

A. YOUR FEET ARE NOT TOUCHING THE RESTRICTED AREA
B. YOU ARE NOT IN THE RESTRICTED AREA
C. DONT BE THE SECONDARY DEFENDER

Originally Posted by henz0

Supa are u gonna be ref'n in aviator this season
nerd.gif

HENZO YOU KNOW IF IM THERE....ITS GONNA BE AND 1 CITY FOR YOU....

Damn Only Henz gets calls, I aint with it. What league they got at Aviator? i ball at the !4th Street Y, NY urban Professionals league, and I work for Zog as a ref (So much BS, you wouldn't believe) I got like 1 or two free days a week so I qwouldn't mind fainding another league to ball in.

Damn Only Henz gets calls, I aint with it. What league they got at Aviator? i ball at the !4th Street Y, NY urban Professionals league, and I work for Zog as a ref (So much BS, you wouldn't believe) I got like 1 or two free days a week so I qwouldn't mind fainding another league to ball in.

YOU PLAY IN THE NY URBAN LEAGUE....

LOLOL

I KNOW SOME OF THOSE REFS...THEY TELL ME THE HORROR STORIES...I STAY AWAY FROM THAT NONSENSE CUZ THOSE GUYS DONT REALLY REF....THEY JUST WANNA GET IN AND OUT ASAP!

YOU PLAY IN THE NY URBAN LEAGUE....

LOLOL

I KNOW SOME OF THOSE REFS...THEY TELL ME THE HORROR STORIES...I STAY AWAY FROM THAT NONSENSE CUZ THOSE GUYS DONT REALLY REF....THEY JUST WANNA GET IN AND OUT ASAP!

DEPENDS ON THE LEVEL...

HS GO FOR $80-$110

JUCO'S $140

D3'S $180 + TRAVEL - $225

D2'S $275 + TRAVEL - $325

D1'S $898 + TRAVEL - $3300

DEPENDS ON THE LEVEL...

HS GO FOR $80-$110

JUCO'S $140

D3'S $180 + TRAVEL - $225

D2'S $275 + TRAVEL - $325

D1'S $898 + TRAVEL - $3300

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i used to strive on this .. i'd wait till i was ready.. i wouldn't look at the ref or anything..[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i wouldn't even act like i heard him..[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i wonder why they did this though[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i used to strive on this .. i'd wait till i was ready.. i wouldn't look at the ref or anything..[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]i wouldn't even act like i heard him..[/font]

[/font]

[/font]

THIS REALLY MEANS COMING OUT OF A TIMEOUT. ONCE THE 2ND HORN GOES OFF YOU GUYS GOTTA GET BACK ON THE COURT.

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU WERE READY AND JUST STANDING THERE.
laugh.gif
I PERSONALLY WOULD HAVE PUT THE BALL AT YOUR DISPOSAL (BY PLACING IT IN YOUR CHEST) AND STARTED MY 5 COUNT.

[/font]

THIS REALLY MEANS COMING OUT OF A TIMEOUT. ONCE THE 2ND HORN GOES OFF YOU GUYS GOTTA GET BACK ON THE COURT.

laugh.gif
I PERSONALLY WOULD HAVE PUT THE BALL AT YOUR DISPOSAL (BY PLACING IT IN YOUR CHEST) AND STARTED MY 5 COUNT.

THIS WAS PM'd TO ME THE OTHER DAY I THOUGHT I SHOULD SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS.

Nov 07, 2011 at 10:11 pm

RANDOM NT'er: How are you? I was checking out your ref thread and decided to PM you. I have a quick question I was hoping you can help me with. When a player is driving and jump stops is he able to pivot after the jump stop? For example, if the player drives in to the middle, jump stops, and the defense cuts off the hoop, is he able to step through for a layup? I am leaning towards it being a travel but I need some clarification. My reasoning is that since a player lands on both feet he might be able to choose a pivot foot, but at the same time I think a player is not able to pivot once he jump stops. I would appreciate if you can shed some light on this for me.

Today at 6:18 am

You: LOLOL

DO YOU PLAY FOR NYU?

I WAS AT NYU ON FRIDAY AND THE CENTER ASKED ME THE SAME EXACT QUESTION. SO HERE'S THE RULING.

YES. IT IS A TRAVEL.

TRAVELING IS THE HARDEST VIOLATION TO PICK UP ON. YES YOU ARE ALLOWED TO COME TO A JUMP STOP WHEN BOTH FEET HIT THE FLOOR SIMULTANEOUSLY.

EASIEST WAY TO SOLVE THIS IS THIS...

YOU CAN ONLY TAKE 2 STEPS AFTER YOU STOP DRIBBLING THE BALL AND YOU MUST PASS OR SHOOT IMMEDIATELY UPON STOPPING.

HENCE, TO COME TO A JUMP STOP YOU HAVE TO TAKE OFF ONE FOOT TO BEGIN YOUR JUMP. THIS IS CALLED YOUR "GATHER" FOOT AND IT IS ALSO YOUR 1ST STEP. YOUR 2ND STEP WOULD BE THE JUMP STOP. ANY STEPS AFTER THAT IS A TRAVEL.

HOWEVER.....

IF SOMEONE IS PASSING YOU THE BALL AND YOU JUMP IN THE AIR TO CATCH IT AND LAND ON BOTH FEET. YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF MOVING EITHER FOOT TO "ESTABLISH" A PIVOT. ONCE YOU HAVE MOVED 1 FOOT THE OTHER BECOMES YOUR PIVOT AND YOU CANNOT MOVE IT UNTIL YOUR DRIBBLE HITS THE GROUND...IT IS A TRAVEL IF YOUR "PIVOT" MOVES BEFORE THE BALL HITTING THE GROUND BY RULE!

SOME REFS DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT RULE OR CAN'T CATCH IT FAST ENOUGH BUT WHEN WE GET THE TAPE OF THE GAME TO GO OVER ANY ERRORS THIS IS THE TRAVEL THAT THEY MOSTLY MISS.

THIS WAS PM'd TO ME THE OTHER DAY I THOUGHT I SHOULD SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS.

Nov 07, 2011 at 10:11 pm

RANDOM NT'er: How are you? I was checking out your ref thread and decided to PM you. I have a quick question I was hoping you can help me with. When a player is driving and jump stops is he able to pivot after the jump stop? For example, if the player drives in to the middle, jump stops, and the defense cuts off the hoop, is he able to step through for a layup? I am leaning towards it being a travel but I need some clarification. My reasoning is that since a player lands on both feet he might be able to choose a pivot foot, but at the same time I think a player is not able to pivot once he jump stops. I would appreciate if you can shed some light on this for me.

Today at 6:18 am

You: LOLOL

DO YOU PLAY FOR NYU?

I WAS AT NYU ON FRIDAY AND THE CENTER ASKED ME THE SAME EXACT QUESTION. SO HERE'S THE RULING.

YES. IT IS A TRAVEL.

TRAVELING IS THE HARDEST VIOLATION TO PICK UP ON. YES YOU ARE ALLOWED TO COME TO A JUMP STOP WHEN BOTH FEET HIT THE FLOOR SIMULTANEOUSLY.

EASIEST WAY TO SOLVE THIS IS THIS...

YOU CAN ONLY TAKE 2 STEPS AFTER YOU STOP DRIBBLING THE BALL AND YOU MUST PASS OR SHOOT IMMEDIATELY UPON STOPPING.

HENCE, TO COME TO A JUMP STOP YOU HAVE TO TAKE OFF ONE FOOT TO BEGIN YOUR JUMP. THIS IS CALLED YOUR "GATHER" FOOT AND IT IS ALSO YOUR 1ST STEP. YOUR 2ND STEP WOULD BE THE JUMP STOP. ANY STEPS AFTER THAT IS A TRAVEL.

HOWEVER.....

IF SOMEONE IS PASSING YOU THE BALL AND YOU JUMP IN THE AIR TO CATCH IT AND LAND ON BOTH FEET. YOU HAVE THE OPTION OF MOVING EITHER FOOT TO "ESTABLISH" A PIVOT. ONCE YOU HAVE MOVED 1 FOOT THE OTHER BECOMES YOUR PIVOT AND YOU CANNOT MOVE IT UNTIL YOUR DRIBBLE HITS THE GROUND...IT IS A TRAVEL IF YOUR "PIVOT" MOVES BEFORE THE BALL HITTING THE GROUND BY RULE!

SOME REFS DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT RULE OR CAN'T CATCH IT FAST ENOUGH BUT WHEN WE GET THE TAPE OF THE GAME TO GO OVER ANY ERRORS THIS IS THE TRAVEL THAT THEY MOSTLY MISS.

[/font]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

my man!

[/font]

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

my man!

Back
Top Bottom