random ? - did they teach you about the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom at your school?

Born and raised in Hawaii...

I always wondered...
a) do they teach students about the overthrow of the Hawaiian Kingdom in the states?
b)  if so, what do they cover?

and if not, do you guys even know anything about it?

The version I learned made it seem kinda like they just "gave it up"
laugh.gif
grin.gif

Side note...a bunch of textbooks are written by and influenced this Religious Fundie who believes in creationism.

His name: "David Barton"

Looking back, my AP World History book was written by him

Can't STAND the guy. His revisionist history irks the crap out of me.

To be completely honest no one really cares about Hawaii, it might as well be an enormous resort.

Never once mentioned in all of my education, and I've always been interested in history.

Your average US history class will do a decent job covering just the major events, and even then, they're quickly glossing over the "facts" in a way that's only beneficial for basic US history trivia, rather than addressing important issues, trends, and events.

Originally Posted by trey ohh five

To be completely honest no one really cares about Hawaii, it might as well be an enormous resort.

genocide is pretty hilarious when you think about it...

the movie "North Shore" literally touched on it more than the schools I went to.

I've been there at least 20 times and I'm fascinated by history, so I've done my own research.

I never heard of it honestly. Is there a link you can give me that can let me know what this was all about?

I just need to read up on the history of Hawaii and all other Pacific Islands.

While on the subject of Pacific Islands, The Island of Samoa. Mixture of Japanese + Africans with hundreds of years of breading? What is the origin of those people.

Indeed they did. It was thoroughly covered actually and we had a quiz on it.
EDIT:  Live in NYC if it matters.

What's hawaii?................

Real talk though.. Never heard of it...

I live in Virginia if that matters.

Not in K-12, but in college I took a course entitled Pacific History. It fit my time slot and I thought it was about WWII era, but my prof was Hawaiian and went into all of the issues. Otherwise would've never been exposed to it.

Got into it with the prof, because he kept pushing this idea that Hawaiians want all their lands returned. I am of the belief that would be a bad idea, considering the entire state's economy has to be tourism, coffee, and pineapples, maybe exotic flowers. I basically said people want to return to tribal life and he said yes. We went back and forth and I said Hawaiians should be happy to have known history and be able to trace family lines, because a lot of races were sold into slavery and spread over long distances. Guy lost it and then gave me a D on a paper that I wrote like any other paper I did in college where I never received below a B. Needless to say, I dropped the course.

Live in the south, GA.

We had to learn Georgia Studies, so no.

I always thought states taught their own histories (besides the basic wars and US propaganda)?

Back
Top Bottom