Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

Does it feel like Chance is dropping his debut album Friday?

no but he also is strangely doing no videos...no real singles outside of Groceries a month ago...and not even a late night talk show tear jerker Vacation Bible Study play....

he's too quiet and probably about to pull one of those "stunts" that make it impossible to **** on what he's doing :lol: salute to him tho

Rap Music being "disposable" is overstated. You have thousands of artists that are getting some kind of shine, of course the attention shifts fast

To be fair, Keef was 2012. That’s a solid 7 years ago. I’m of the belief that hip hop filters through a new batch of mainstream acts every 5 years or so because folks get older and new listeners enter into the arena. ****, I got invited to rolling loud and couldn’t imagine my 30 year old *** out there “raging” in Miami with 18 year olds all molly’d up listening to cats I’ve never heard of. :lol:

damn.

if 2016 was the last refresh 2021 gon be when ****** finally switch it up? lol

Chance got songs! IDGAF what y’all say. I’ll listwn to corny chance over the corny, Lil Keed or whatever **** y’all post

Rap Music being "disposable" is overstated. You have thousands of artists that are getting some kind of shine, of course the attention shifts fast

I don't think his point was so much about attention shifting, but moreso about it being designed to be easily digested, quickly digested and is gonna leave you with no real replay value once the catchiness of it wears off. It's cheap music for young people but I guess that's always existed. It's just different IMO now because you got dudes who IRL literally probably dont even care about fashion, never been shooters or trappers, probably never even sold weed like that...all faking a singular persona derived from Keef and then morphed for the suburbs by Carti/Uzi.

To be fair, Keef was 2012. That’s a solid 7 years ago. I’m of the belief that hip hop filters through a new batch of mainstream acts every 5 years or so because folks get older and new listeners enter into the arena. ****, I got invited to rolling loud and couldn’t imagine my 30 year old *** out there “raging” in Miami with 18 year olds all molly’d up listening to cats I’ve never heard of. :lol:

I looked at the NYC rolling loud because they got a couple acts i wanna see (Meek, Pusha, etc etc) but the thought of being around a bunch of 18 yr old suburban kids screaming gang gang & slatt in head to toe supreme almost made my head explode. I would only do that event in a VIP and i'm not paying a rack + for that ****.

These lil *****s wild :lol:

brah the first video has the greatest video intro tag ever :lol:

***** travis scott'd his promotion tag :rofl:

sidenote why videographers putting tags on the songs now cmon bruh ****** really hate the producer :lol:

EDIT: at around 22 seconds in the first video above is bruh rolling a blunt inside a paper? :lol:

my ny brethren help me out

In a large scale tho it is, albums will stop being discussed in a matter of days now. No matter who the artist is you blink an eye & the project is passed by. There's an insane overflow of music & it's impossible to consume. And i'm talking about artist i actually check for & like, it's hard for me to even get to their new ****. Let alone finding new artist to get into.

Future, Spitta, Wiz, are examples of dudes music i rock with heavy who have dropped projects recently & i've only been able to spin once.

NY Drill still trips me the **** out :lol:

I remember arguing w/ a ****** IN brooklyn back when that schurda **** took off that they didn't get their whole aura from the chicago ****. In typical NYC fashion...****** was ADAMANT about how that style developed in the NYC jails and ****** had been sounding like that :lol::smh:. Years later and now the **** is officially referred to as NY Drill.

To their credit tho, they have made it uniquely their own thing over time.

37C56230-AC4C-4CF8-B987-9B87CEC9858A.jpeg

NY Drill still trips me the **** out :lol:

I remember arguing w/ a *****s IN brooklyn back when that schurda **** took off that they didn't get their whole aura from the chicago ****. In typical NYC fashion...*****s was ADAMANT about how that style developed in the NYC jails and *****s had been sounding like that :lol::smh:. Years later and now the **** is officially referred to as NY Drill.

To their credit tho, they have made it uniquely their own thing over time.

Sounds like a back n forth with trynafeelmink trynafeelmink :lol:.

I remember watching a doc with Zach TV (RIP) when he went to BK a few years back to interview the NYC drill *****s, and even he, being from Chicago, was shocked at how NY took to Chi drill/gang culture.

And even crazier...is the NYC/London merge that’s slowly happening. Them London cats heavily influenced by Drill...and the smart Drill NYC rappers are tapping into merging those sounds....and it’s opening them up to a bigger market. I think I peeped an interview where Sheff G was talking about that. And that “Pop Smoke” joint....took off with people in the UK relating to it. That’s the smart way to move with that. There’s a market for it for real.

Back
Top Bottom