Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

So what, we know TI did numbers. It’s all subjective at the end of the day, nobody in my circle besides me listened to TI like that. If we’re purely talking numbers I’m sure Luda trumps all of these dudes from that era.

ya'll acting like T.I is Flo-rida or something tho :lol: . I won't speak for other regions because i'm not there but i can ASSURE you TI was getting way more bump than gucci in NYC. T.I also had the mixtape game on smash with Drama.

the quality of the music is subjective, who was bigger is not. You can't have a convo about who is bigger & exclude millions of people from the convo :lol:. This is like me saying Cam was bigger than 50 Cent.... under no circumstance is that true no matter how much i prefer Cam to 50.

ya'll acting like T.I is Flo-rida or something tho :lol: . I won't speak for other regions because i'm not there but i can ASSURE you TI was getting way more bump than gucci in NYC. T.I also had the mixtape game on smash with Drama.

the quality of the music is subjective, who was bigger is not. You can't have a convo about who is bigger & exclude millions of people from the convo :lol:. This is like me saying Cam was bigger than 50 Cent.... under no circumstance is that true no matter how much i prefer Cam to 50.
I understand what you’re saying but it’s a slippery slope. Nelly was up there with Jay-Z and Eminem but his catalog doesn’t hold up in the present day. Also, I can only think of like 2 TI mixtapes off top, he wasn’t even close to Gucci in that realm.

Gucci was lowkey bigger than Tip, despite tip selling more records in the mainstream. Hood dudes from nyc, dc, chi to cali and everywhere in between loved mixtape Gucci. One of my boys from harlem played my kitchen religiously. Real recognized real and Gucci was felt nationwide.
I don’t think it’s lowkey at all. Pretty much fact.

I understand what you’re saying but it’s a slippery slope. Nelly was up there with Jay-Z and Eminem but his catalog doesn’t hold up in the present day. Also, I can only think of like 2 TI mixtapes off top, he wasn’t even close to Gucci in that realm.

If someone was to say Nelly was the biggest artist for a certain time period it would be hard to argue dude was Everywhere for a few years.

I only brought up the mixtapes as an example that TI wasn't just some dude who popped mainstream & wasn't getting spins in the hood. the part of who got the "streets" is always debatable because there's no actual way to prove that outside of self experience.

Hell i vividly remember dudes in this thread telling me around TM103 that nobody was ****in wit Jeezy in the streets.... I pulled up to ONYX in NC on a crowded night & they played the real is back literally from beginning to ending :lol:

Gucci may have an argument when it comes to the streets/underground but IMO the gap was too large in mainstream popularity.

If someone was to say Nelly was the biggest artist for a certain time period it would be hard to argue dude was Everywhere for a few years.

I only brought up the mixtapes as an example that TI wasn't just some dude who popped mainstream & wasn't getting spins in the hood. the part of who got the "streets" is always debatable because there's no actual way to prove that outside of self experience.

Hell i vividly remember dudes in this thread telling me around TM103 that nobody was ****in wit Jeezy in the streets.... I pulled up to ONYX in NC on a crowded night & they played the real is back literally from beginning to ending :lol:

Gucci may have an argument when it comes to the streets/underground but IMO the gap was too large in mainstream popularity.
The influence alone should speak for itself. Nicki Minaj, Migos, Thug, Peewee, Lil Baby, Chief Keef, Fetty Wap(i knowlol), Pooh Shiesty and a gang of other successful artists were all spawns of Gucci Mane's influence. All we got from TI was Dro, who I fw. Burrprint 3, I'm Up, Mr. Zone 6 all the way back to EA sportscenter had the streets on fire. Gucci is a top 5 mixtape legend.

The influence alone should speak for itself. Nicki Minaj, Migos, Thug, Peewee, Lil Baby, Chief Keef, Fetty Wap(i knowlol), Pooh Shiesty and a gang of other successful artists were all spawns of Gucci Mane's influence. All we got from TI was Dro, who I fw. Burrprint 3, I'm Up, Mr. Zone 6 all the way back to EA sportscenter had the streets on fire. Gucci is a top 5 mixtape legend.

I never denied that he was influential (although calling those artist spawns of Gucci is a bit of an overstatement), Influence doesn't equate to being bigger tho.

TI had a #1 album & a #1 movie drop simultaneously :lol: & was doing world tours. If your argument is Gucci had more love in the streets, cool that's not a quantifiable thing. But Gucci never made it to TI's level in terms of Success & visibility & that's Okay.

Us older guys are damned if we do, damned if we don't when it comes to some of yall in this thread.

When we listen to some of the younger artists then some will clown and if we stick to older hip hop then we're clowned for that lol Ageism is lame. I listen to whatever I like regardless of age 🤷🏾‍♂️

Gucci was lowkey bigger than Tip, despite tip selling more records in the mainstream. Hood dudes from nyc, dc, chi to cali and everywhere in between loved mixtape Gucci. One of my boys from harlem played my kitchen religiously. Real recognized real and Gucci was felt nationwide.

Nah. :lol:

That's cool your Harlem dudes was bumping Gucci. Tip selling out the garden.

:lol: Yall need to stop letting your current hate for TIP give you revisionist history. That Trap Muzik to KING run he had was one of the best runs ever in hip hop. Only a few can say they had a 3 album run like that.

Man just said it's a fact Gucci was bigger than Tip. :lol:

What world was _'s living in from 2004-08? Because you and your boys liked him more that means he was bigger? :lol: :smh:

I can see why some people wouldn’t like herbo’s music. The first time I tried listening to a full length herbo project was this. Couldn’t finish it, **** was hurting my ears. I do mess with some of his music though.

1659566826084.jpeg

I always liked Jeezy's music more than Gucci and TI.

For me personally was Jeezy, Gucci, TI.

Urban Legend prob my fav TI album.

Back
Top Bottom