Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

no-bugs-bunny.gif

I remember when Gucci used to drop tapes downtown would be crazy and every car was playing that ****. 08 was a wild summer. TI was for sure bigger in a sense, u not selling out the garden without having the colonizers loving ya ****. He was doing duets with Timberlake, rihanna and the trick anthem. After king I don’t think I ever cared to hear another ti album once he went full commercial. Jeezy and Gucci street presence was way bigger than tips post 07 but tip had more radio play and bigger songs. I remember Gucci vs jeezy parties happening and ****** fighting between both sides **** was crazy. But crossing over and selling out the trap music did tip in because them colonizers eventually move on to the next and the streets always gonna **** wit u.

I ain’t seen tip on a concert bill here in forever or heard any one caring about going in some time. Whenever Gucci Or especially jeezy in town ****** showing up and they come at least 3x a year to do the same exact ****ing sets.

Wop was basically done after stay strapped. He kept going in though and went on a legendary mixtape run after he sent Jeezy homeboy home to glory. But at no time was Wop ever on par with TIP commercially.

I have these type of discussions with my guys all the time and I just learned to stop. I realized when they used to tell me “the streets is or isnt rockin with xyz” they were always referring to 5-10 ppl that they knew, or this one time they took a trip to another city…

One thing you cant deny is a national level impact. Clifford’s run was what Rappers dream of. This man was droppin platinum albums, making movies (ATL, American Gangster, Takers, AntMan..) , and starring in his own television show..

Was Wop hot? Hell yea, does he have legendary mixtapes? Hell yea. But during that time period Gucci was never a bigger artist than Tip was. If Gucci was anywhere near the level and heights that Tip was he would have at least had commercial success close to what Jeezy did and he didnt even do that

Last edited:
I never denied that he was influential (although calling those artist spawns of Gucci is a bit of an overstatement), Influence doesn't equate to being bigger tho.

TI had a #1 album & a #1 movie drop simultaneously :lol: & was doing world tours. If your argument is Gucci had more love in the streets, cool that's not a quantifiable thing. But Gucci never made it to TI's level in terms of Success & visibility & that's Okay.

Back
Top Bottom