Remembering the Sega Dreamcast and its loss to PS2 vol. released 10 years ago (9/9/99)

I remember i actually won an online raffle for the dreamcast.......I should have sold it, but i kept it.

Now that i think about it...........I dont even remember what i did with it. I probably gave it to my brother or something.

Like the video's said.

The Dreamcast was killed by not having a DVD Player.

I got to admit. I was a Sega fanboy. I had Sega Genesis, while my cousins had Super Nintendo. I had Sega Saturn, while my cousins had Nintendo 64/PSOne. I ended up getting a PSOne once the Saturn flopped.

When the Dreamcast came out, I scooped it up. It was my first major purchase that wasn't a pair of sneakers. I passed up Winter Formal to buy theDreamcast,
laugh.gif

It was
smokin.gif
, the 2K series just got me hooked. Crazy Taxi was fun ashell too.

Once the PS2 rolled out and people started buying it, it was curtains since it served a dual purpose. You can watch DVD's on that thing. It is kind oflike the PS3 with Blue Ray and how it killed HD DVD's. However, the PS3 will not kill the XBOX 360 due to it's Blue Ray capabilities....that is foranother day.

Dreamcast was
smokin.gif
with a solid lineup of games, but the fact that itdidn't play DVD's and the PS2 did is what killed the Dreamcast, IMO.

I'm glad the 2k series is still going strong. Can't wait until they can make NFL games again.

man when it dropped it was ahead of its time, i remember playin nfl 2k in bestbuy for like 2 hours straight lol

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by finnns2003

I still post on Shenmue forums... Part 3 will be made if I have to fly to Sega HQ myself... Damn Sammy!
u willing to fund it? cause sega was talking about how back then the original shenmue costed a ridiculous amount to develop it and how the cost of developing it today would be beyond ridiculous
they're full of crap. they alienated their fans and sammy (their new owner) has basically stifled them into making crap product now. poor yu suzuki has wanted his series to finish and hasn't been able to get it out there. the thing is, the story is finished, at least let us know what happens.

ghenges, what you talkin about willis?

The cost to create the game is true. However the technology graphic engine cinematic camera etc was basically brand new to the market. Thats like saying sincea dvd player cost 400 500 bucks to make 15 yrs ago it will cost so much more now cause of the change in time. The issue is how well will it be recieved thingis shemmue was the first real time virtual reality world base game. That is what sold ppl on the game. The actually game play was actually outdated and kindaboring.

Fastfoward 10 yrs or so u have plenty of real time virtual reality world base games(ie gta the sims etc) with alot more player interaction and more depth. Alsoto make a 3rd installment of a game from 10 yrs ago isnt wise. Most 6th generation gamers dont know anything about the shemmue series and wouldnt understandwhats going on with the game due to never playing the 1st 2 installments. Futhermore after playing games like gta etc this would not hold the attention span ofmodern kids of this generation. Honestly can you see the average 10 12 yr old sitting in front of a tv for like 3 or 4 hrs playing a game and nothing ishappening outside of walking up to ppl talking and drinking sodas and reading newspapers.

Dreamcast is definitely my favorite system ever. I wish I still had my original.
Gauntlet Legends (with three of your friends
smokin.gif
)
Sonic
Soul Calibur
Every sports game
Ready 2 Rumble
the controller and VMU
and the first game I ever fully completed, and probably my favorite game ever (also my favorite game soundtrack)-

it was cool. i was even jealous of everyone else that had one. but when that ps2 came out it was allllllll over.

When you charged up the turbo in NFL 2k
pimp.gif

Getting the bike and cart in Crazy Taxi
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Playing with A.I on any one of the 2K Basketball series
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

be able to pick your plays for nfl 2ks on the vmu!!! i thought the vmu alone mad dreamcast one of the most innovative systems..

man i remember shenmue (sp).. that was one of the best rpg's for dreamcast..

virtua tennis was the first tennis game i ever liked.. > wii tennis etc...

I bought this the day it came out. I was pyched for this system. I pre-ordered it about 4 weeks before it came out also and thought it was ahead of its timefor a system not quite even in the year 2000.

Hard to believe a decade has gone by since that time, getting older FTL.
tired.gif

[table][tr][td] [/td] [td]Sega Sports Dreamcast
The United States and Canada would see a black Sega Sports Dreamcast released, including matching controllers and came bundled with a couple of Sega's great sports games. If nothing else, the Sega Sports Dreamcast is nice for those that want a Black Dreamcast without having to paint one (or without paying a ton for a Japanese R7 or "Super Black" Dreamcast).
Find Sega Sports Dreamcast on Amazon.com[/color]
Find Sega Sports Dreamcast on eBay[/td] [/tr][/table]
this what i have
pimp.gif
...i always thought of dreamcast as the blueprint tothese current video game systems...they started the online gaming and xbox and ps2 just took it to another level

Nice mine was being delivered to my dorm roo. Around this time 10 years ago, everyone was coming over to play 2k or bass fishing with the reel. Classic I stillplay fishing or virtua tennis

I knew I still had mine so I cranked it up today...it started working and im cheesing like its 99 all over again

I pop Crazy Taxi in and it can't read the disk
frown.gif

I can't even find my other game like Shenmue and Tony Hawk
frown.gif
frown.gif

Back
Top Bottom