Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

LeBron would take ANY team in the East to the playoffs.

Let's not act like the Cavs are a positive for him and his game.

I've been one of the few impartial people on here to defend the Cavs the past 2 seasons...and they are a good team...but 75% of that is LeBron's doing.

Ginobili having that surgery is a good look.

Spurs will be back to reclaim their title. After all, it is an odd year...

Monday, September 29, 2008

Pistons Announce Training Camp Roster

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - Detroit Pistons President of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced today the club's training camp roster. The roster is a follows: [table][tr][td]Detroit Pistons Training Camp Roster[/td] [/tr][tr][td]NO[/td] [td]POS[/td] [td]NAME[/td] [td]HT[/td] [td]WT[/td] [td]DOB[/td] [td]COLLEGE/COUNTRY[/td] [td]YRS[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Alex Acker[/td] [td]6-5[/td] [td]185[/td] [td]1/21/83[/td] [td]Pepperdine[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]28[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Arron Afflalo[/td] [td]6-5[/td] [td]215[/td] [td]10/15/85[/td] [td]UCLA[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Chauncey Billups[/td] [td]6-3[/td] [td]202[/td] [td]9/25/76[/td] [td]Colorado[/td] [td]11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]38[/td] [td]C[/td] [td]Kwame Brown[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]270[/td] [td]3/10/82[/td] [td]Glynn Academy HS[/td] [td]7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Will Bynum[/td] [td]6-0[/td] [td]185[/td] [td]1/4/83[/td] [td]Georgia Tech[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]32[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Richard Hamilton[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]193[/td] [td]2/14/78[/td] [td]Connecticut[/td] [td]9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Walter Herrmann[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]225[/td] [td]6/26/79[/td] [td]Argentina[/td] [td]2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Amir Johnson[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]210[/td] [td]5/1/87[/td] [td]Westchester HS[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]54[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Jason Maxiell[/td] [td]6-7[/td] [td]260[/td] [td]2/18/83[/td] [td]Cincinnati[/td] [td]3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]24[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Antonio McDyess[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]245[/td] [td]9/7/74[/td] [td]Alabama[/td] [td]13[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Tayshaun Prince[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]215[/td] [td]2/28/80[/td] [td]Kentucky[/td] [td]6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]35[/td] [td]C[/td] [td]Cheikh Samb[/td] [td]7-1[/td] [td]245[/td] [td]10/22/84[/td] [td]Senegal[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]42[/td] [td]F[/td] [td]Walter Sharpe[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]245[/td] [td]7/16/86[/td] [td]Alabama-Birmingham[/td] [td]R[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [td]G[/td] [td]Rodney Stuckey[/td] [td]6-5[/td] [td]205[/td] [td]4/21/86[/td] [td]Eastern Washington[/td] [td]1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]30[/td] [td]F/C[/td] [td]Rasheed Wallace[/td] [td]6-11[/td] [td]230[/td] [td]9/17/74[/td] [td]North Carolina[/td] [td]13[/td] [/tr][/table][table][tr][td]HEAD COACH:[/td] [td]Michael Curry - Georgia Southern[/td] [/tr][tr][td]ASSISTANT COACHES:[/td] [td]Darrell Walker - Arkansas[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]Dave Cowens - Florida State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]Pat Sullivan - North Carolina[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]Harold Ellis - Morehouse College[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
[/td] [td]Bill Pope - Kansas[/td] [/tr][tr][td]ATHLETIC TRAINER:[/td] [td]Mike Abdenour - Wayne State[/td] [/tr][tr][td]STRENGTH & CONDITIONING:[/td] [td]Arnie Kander - Wayne State[/td] [/tr][/table]

Gordon Set To Take Qualifying Offer

Gordon_Ben_chi.jpg
It looks as though Ben Gordon will be amember of the Chicago Bulls in 2008-2009 after all.

Gordon confirmed in a text message to the Chicago Tribune's K.C. Johnson that he will be in training camp, and he is expected to sign a one yearqualifying offer worth $6.4 million by Wednesday's deadline and become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

For the second straight summer Gordon and the Chicago Bulls have been unable to come to an agreement on a long term contract for the team's leadingscorer and sixth man.

Former Bull Mike Ruffin is also expected to be in camp for Chicago on a non-guaranteed contract, according to the report.

[h2]O'Neal: We Have A Shot[/h2]
ONeal_Jermaine_tor_080709.jpg

Sep 29, 2008 4:51 PM EST

tor_40.gif
JermaineO'Neal believes that the Raptors have a shot to accomplish something special in Toronto this season.

"Me, Chris Bosh, and Jose (Calderon) sat down after the scrimmage (last week), and it was like, 'Man, we have a real shothere,' " O'Neal said. "We've got a real shot."

"Obviously, we have the talent on paper, and if we mentally believe that and bring that swagger every day, that we're thebest team on the floor every time we step on the floor, we've got a shot at doing some great things this year."

O'Neal arrived in Toronto this July in a trade that sent T.J. Ford, Rasho Nesterovic, and a draft pick to Indiana.

"We just have to remind ourselves - because we've never been in a situation like this, where we've had so much help andhad somebody to really depend on every night - that this is for a greater cause," said O'Neal. "It's about winning. At the end of the day, ifI score two points and we won, and I got 10 rebounds and two blocks, that's great to me."

"I didn't make the playoffs the last two years, had two really tough years physically and mentally, it doesn't reallymatter. The personal accomplishments don't matter. I understand what I need to do for this team to be successful, and sometimes they're not going toneed me to score. They need me to bring the defensive presence."

Via Toronto Star

Toronto Raptors

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback BuyTickets

[h2]Beasley Suffers GroinStrain[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 4:46 PM EST

mia_40.gif
Heat rookieforward Michael Beasley missed a majority of Monday's practice session after suffering a groin strain.

"Just a little sore," Coach Erik Spoelstra said. "Really precautionary. He started practice, did dummy offense, andmoved around a little."

Monday was the first day that Miami ran offensive drills after focusing on defense over the weekend.

"From what I noticed he's got a pretty good basketball IQ," Udonis Haslem said. "Most of the stuff they went overtoday he's already done in summer league. He should know that stuff."

Via Palm Beach Post

Miami Heat

[h2]Celtics Re-Sign SamCassell[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 7:37 PM EST

bos_40.gif
The BostonCeltics announced today that they have re-signed guard Sam Cassell.

Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Cassell, a 6'3", 195 pound guard, is a veteran of 15 NBA seasons. Cassell won his third NBA title as a member of the Celticslast season after signing mid-season from the L.A. Clippers. Cassell averaged 7.6 points and 2.1 assists in 17 regular season games with the Celtics lastseason and finished the season with combined averages of 11.2 points and 3.9 assists per game. The 2003-04 All-Star scored 20 or more points 10 times lastseason including a season-high 35 points against the Indiana Pacers on November 7. He scored a high of 22 points with the Celtics against the Knicks on April14.

Via Press Release

Boston Celtics

[h2]Randy Pfund Resigns As GMOf The Heat[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 6:57 PM EST

mia_40.gif
The Miami Heatannounced today that General Manager Randy Pfund has resigned from his duties with the Heat to pursue other business opportunities. "Randy Pfund has donea tremendous job for the Heat, helping to build this team into a champion," said Riley. "His work ethic and contributions to the organization havebeen invaluable. I've known Randy for over 20 years, and in addition to our great working relationship, he has been a wonderful friend to both Chris and meand our family. On behalf of the Arison family and my family, I would like to wish him continued success and happiness in everything he does."

Sources have told Local 10 in Miami that Pfund was forced out of Miami.

Via RealGM Staff Report

Miami Heat

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback Buy Tickets

[h2]Brown Good For 4-7More Wins In Charlotte?[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 4:42 PM EST

cha_40.gif
Rick Bonnell ofthe Charlotte Observer asked a number of NBA front office executives what kind of impact they believed Coach Larry Brown will have on the team.

He reported in today's Observer that executives believe Brown will be good for anywhere from four to seven more victories in2008-09.

The Bobcats won 32 games last season.

Via Charlotte Observer

Charlotte Bobcats

[h2]Bibby Could Be TradingChip For Hawks[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 4:38 PM EST

atl_40.gif
If the Hawksdon't believe that Mike Bibby is the team's point guard of the future, they may opt to trade his expiring contract.

Bibby is owed $15.5 million this season, but Atlanta lacks another suitable option at point guard as they look to make the playoffsfor the second-straight season.

Via Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Atlanta Hawks

[h2]Celtics StillLeaving Door Open For P.J. Brown[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 4:33 PM EST

bos_40.gif
The Celtics arestill hoping that free agent, and possibly retired, forward P.J. Brown will have a change of heart and re-join the team this season.

"Maybe he'll rejoin us in January," Rivers said in reference to Brown's decision to come out of retirement lastFebruary and sign with the team.

Danny Ainge says that Brown knows the door is open for him to return.

"I tell him that I'll see him later," Rivers added. "Hell, even if he couldn't play I'd put him on ourbench and in our locker room. That's how important he was to our young guys. In that short time, he basically became an invaluable part of that lockerroom."

Via Boston Herald

Boston Celtics

[h2]Marion Won't Force TradeFrom Heat[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 4:28 PM EST

mia_40.gif
Shawn Marionwon't ask for a trade from the Heat despite the fact that the team did not meet his request for a contract extension.

"I like being a Heat player," Marion said. "I'm a wanted player."

A number of league executives claim that trade talks have been put on hold because of agent Dan Fegan's desire for a"maximum-level extension" or something close to it.

Via Miami Herald

Miami Heat

[h2]Frank On Lopez: He's AWilling Learner[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 4:25 PM EST

njn_40.gif
The Nets arehoping that Brook Lopez, their first-round pick from June's draft, can develop into an NBA-quality big man.

Lopez, taken with the 10th overall pick, is very polished offensively but New Jersey is in dire need of defense in thepaint.

"You just worry about the facets of the game that you can control," Lopez said. "Defensively, you're either in theright position or you make a mistake, your guy blows by you and makes a bucket."

Coach Lawrence Frank believes that Lopez has the talent and smarts to be an NBA starter.

"The great thing about Brook is he's a very willing learner," Frank said. "He really, really cares. He cares whenthings aren't going right for him, and that's the first step. Then what do you do about it? You work at it and improve. So I think that he's goingto put forth the amount of work that it takes to be a very, very good player."

"I definitely want to be that guy," Lopez said. "I've always wanted to be that post presence for my team andI've always tried to work to get there. So right now I'm just concentrating on doing whatever coach requires me to do to become thatpresence."

Via New York Daily News

New Jersey Nets

[h2]Thunder AddAlexander, Byars And Lucas III To Roster[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 12:48 PM EST

okc_40.gif
The OklahomaCity Thunder signed center Chris Alexander, guard Derrick Byars and guard John Lucas III to the training camp roster it was announced Monday by Thunder GeneralManager Sam Presti.

Alexander (7-1, 240) most recently played for the Barangay Ginebra Kings of the Philippine Basketball Association where he averaged18.8 points, 20.0 rebounds and 3.5 blocks per game. The former Iowa State Cyclone played the 2007-08 NBA Development League season with the Sioux FallsSkyforce where he averaged 11.6 points, 11.2 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in 40 games.

Derrick Byars (6-3, 230) played for Chorale Roanne Basket of the French Pro-A league during the 2007-08 season and averaged 8.0 pointsand 3.0 rebounds with the club. Byars played the 2006-07 season at Vanderbilt University where he averaged 17.0 points and 4.8 rebounds per game as asenior.

John Lucas III (5-11, 165) played last season with Benetton Treviso of the Italian League where he averaged 6.9 points and 1.1 assistsin 7 games. The former Oklahoma State Cowboy played 60 NBA regular season games with the Houston Rockets averaging 3.1 points per game during from2005-2007.

The Thunder roster now stands at 17.

Via Press Release

Oklahoma City

Read the Full Story Discuss Send FeedbackBuy Tickets

[h2]Pistons Sign Free AgentGuard Alex Acker[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 10:19 AM EST

det_40.gif
Detroit PistonsPresident of Basketball Operations Joe Dumars announced today that the team has signed free agent guard Alex Acker to a contract. Per club policy, terms of theagreement were not disclosed.

Playing overseas the last two seasons, Acker averaged 6.7 points, 1.7 rebounds and 1.0 assists in 30 games for FC Barcelona lastseason and 14.6 points, 5.6 rebounds and 2.4 assists with Olympiacos in 2006-07 Euroleague play.

The 6-foot-5, 185-pound guard played five games with the Pistons during the 2005-06 season, averaging 1.8 points and 1.0 rebounds pergame. He was drafted by Detroit with the 60th overall pick in the 2005 NBA Draft.

Via Press Release

Detroit Pistons

[h2]Walsh, D'AntoniExcited To Get Season Started[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 6:42 AM EST

nyk_40.gif
General ManagerDonnie Walsh and head coach Mike D'Antoni are excited to get their first season with the Knicks underway.

"The thing that excites me is that there is a nucleus of good stuff that we have," D'Antoni said on Friday."There's enough stuff there where we can win some basketball games. We don't have to go get somebody. It's up to me to figure out how to doit... I would not be excited if I thought there was no way that we can do this. I really think that the talent (here) surprised me. There's a lot of youngguys that are very good, and we can do well with what we have. I don't know all who's included, but I do know that I am excited about certain elementsof our team and we'll build on that."

Walsh agrees with D'Antoni, and believes that he's the right man to coach New York back into contention.

"We need to show the city that this franchise is for real," said Walsh. "I'm out there, and I've got peopletalking to me all the time. I'm not sure they were convinced we were (for real). This city has had a great history of basketball, and I grew up in it...This history of the Knicks, when people look at the city, they want the team to play for real. And we've got to do that. The best way to do that is to winthe games. I think that they'll embrace a team that does that if they see there's a future, a direction and hope down the line."

Via NBA.com

New York Knicks

[h2]Kukoc: Bucks Need TeamFocus[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 6:38 AM EST

mil_40.gif
Toni Kukocbelieves that his former club needs to play better team basketball in order to make the playoffs.

He played four seasons with the Bucks before retiring in 2006, and won three NBA championships with the Bulls early in hiscareer.

"They did so many changes again," Kukoc said of Milwaukee. "They do the changes every year. As much as the some people(players) are not going to like it, it's on the leaders to turn the team. When your leadership makes it a, 'OK, let's play as a team,' theneverybody else follows.

"To me, that's always been a key," Kukoc added, "to any team sport."

Via Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Milwaukee Bucks

[h2]Curry Hopes To Keep PistonsFresh[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 6:34 AM EST

det_40.gif
Pistons'Coach Michael Curry plans to tinker with the team's rotation in hopes of keeping the team fresh for the second half of the season.

He also wants to reverse what he believes to be a recent history of underachieving.

"Let's first understand that this group of guys has been really successful," Curry said. "There's not a lot ofmajor things with the game of basketball that you are going to come in and teach or show them. But what you can do is hold them accountable to doing all thelittle things they need to do every day. When you do that, you get the best out of your guys and you don't feel at the end of the year that maybe your teamunderachieved."

He wants to focus on strength and conditioning, but not to excess.

"We aren't going to just run guys into the ground," Curry said. "The vets and the heavy-minutes guys might not doas much on the court on some days, but strength and conditioning and player development is going to be a fixture. If you do it every day, then yourconditioning is going to build as the season goes on, and we will be sharp throughout the year."

Via Detroit News

Detroit Pistons

[h2]Eddy Curry Reports ToCamp In Poor Shape[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 5:48 AM EST

nyk_40.gif
With Eddy Curryreporting to the Knicks in poor shape once again, questions are being posed by the New York Post about how effective he'll be in Mike D'Antoni'shigh octane offense.

Via New York Post

New York Knicks

[h2]Kemp's EuropeanCareer Over Before It Begins[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 5:42 AM EST

euro_40.gif
ShawnKemp's time with Montegranaro Premiata in Europe is over one week before the season is set to begin, with the former SuperSonic failing to return afterflying back to the United States to check on his house in Houston after Hurricane Ike, the Seattle Times are reporting.

"I am very sorry for my inability to return to the club in a timely manner due to personal issues," Kemp wrote in a letterposted on the team's Web site Saturday. "I'm very sorry that these unforeseen circumstances have resulted in the club's understandabledecision."

Kemp spent nine days in Italy training with the team and playing in three exhibition games.

Via Seattle Times

Euroleague Basketball

Read the Full Story Discuss Send Feedback

[h2]Bulls Set To Sign RuffinFor 2nd Time[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 5:39 AM EST

chi_40.gif
The Bulls areset to sign forward Mike Ruffin for his second stint in the Windy City, Mike McGraw of the Daily Herald is reporting.

Ruffin, who was a former second round pick of the Bulls, will sign a one year, non-guaranteed contract.

Via Daily Herald

Chicago Bulls

[h2]Rockets Agree To Deal WithDorsey[/h2]
Sep 28, 2008 11:23 PM EST

hou_40.gif
The HoustonRockets have come to an agreement with rookie Joey Dorsey on a contract, the Houston Chronicle is reporting.

Dorsey is expected to sign a four-year, $3.5 million contract, with each of the last two seasons at the team's option.

The deal, using a portion of the mid-level exception money left available after the signing of Carl Landry, will avoid a repeat of theprotracted restricted free agent negotiations with Landry.

Though Dorsey was chosen with the third pick of the second round, the contract was structured similar to a first-round draft choice.The difference is that the Rockets will have the option to pick up another season of the contract after the second and third seasons, rather than before thoseseasons as with first-round picks.

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets

[h2]Gordon Set To TakeQualifying Offer[/h2]
Sep 28, 2008 11:01 PM EST

chi_40.gif
It looks asthough Ben Gordon will be a member of the Chicago Bulls in 2008-2009 after all.

Gordon confirmed in a text message to the Chicago Tribune's K.C. Johnson that he will be in training camp, and he is expected tosign a one year qualifying offer worth $6.4 million by Wednesday's deadline and become an unrestricted free agent next summer.

For the second straight summer Gordon and the Chicago Bulls have been unable to come to an agreement on a long term contract for theteam's leading scorer and sixth man.

Former Bull Mike Ruffin is also expected to be in camp for Chicago on a non-guaranteed contract, according to the report.

Via Chicago Tribune

Chicago Bulls

[h2]Washington'sMcGuire Had Productive Summer[/h2]
Sep 28, 2008 5:40 PM EST

was_40.gif
Wizards'forward Dominic McGuire claims he worked very hard this summer, and Coach Eddie Jordan likes what he sees.

"He is almost a different player (than last season). He understands what we are doing. He understands his role and he is playingat a very high level. You can see the seriousness in him," Jordan said. "We saw his improvement in summer league and he has been on pace to improvefrom the end of the last season until summer league. We now see his improvement from summer league to the beginning of training camp."

McGuire averaged 1.3 points and 2.0 rebounds in 70 games for the Wizards last season. He was drafted by Washington with the 47thoverall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft.

"I have been working hard. I started going to the gym to workout two times a day this summer. I have been focused and have beenworking on what the coaching staff told me to work on during our exit meetings last season," McGuire said Sunday. "They told me I needed to work onmy mid-range game and to be more professional. I think those are the biggest things that are showing now."

He also claims it has helped that he's going against a player like Caron Butler in practice.

"It helps me a lot," McGuire added. "I am going against an All-Star everyday on the offensive and defensive end. Youcan't help but get better. He shows me a lot off of the court as well. I also try to take things from Antawn. I watch his professionalism and how hehandles himself off the court."

Via Andrew Perna/RealGM

Washington Wizards

[h2]Kings Unveil UpdatedJerseys[/h2]
Sep 28, 2008 5:34 PM EST

sac_40.gif
The Kingsrevealed a new look for the 2008-09 season on Saturday with a number of players modeling their altered jerseys.

"They are much lighter," Beno Udrih said. "I like the colors ... and they are a little different than last year. Theysay 'Sacramento' on (the home jersey) and not 'Kings.' I don't know how they will be when we sweat, but for right now, they'regreat."

Via Sacramento Bee

Sacramento Kings

LAKERS

[h1]Lakers' Lamar Odom unhappy with idea of being sixth man[/h1]

42654031.jpg

Email Picture

Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times

Although Lamar Odom was relaxed and jovial during media day on Monday at their practice facility in El Segundo, the idea of becoming the Lakers' sixth man soured his disposition.

The small forward says Coach Phil Jackson must have 'bumped his head' before saying Odom might come off the bench this season.

By Broderick Turner, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
4:55 PM PDT, September 29, 2008

Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said recently that he is considering making Lamar Odom the team's sixth man this season.

The Lakers convened this afternoon for a media session in El Segundo before the start of training camp Tuesday and Odom voiced his disdain for Jackson's idea.

"He must have woke up and bumped his head. He probably hit his head on something -- boom," Odom said about Jackson. "To start off like that, you've got to be out of your . . . mind."

Odom, from his grade school days in New York City to high school to college and during his nine years in the NBA, always has been a starter.

------

Several Lakers said today they are still bitter about losing the NBA championship in June to the Boston Celtics.

Kobe Bryant viewed it as lessons to be learned.

His team lost, 131-92, in Game 6 of the NBA Finals, which was close to being the most one-sided game in Finals history. His team also blew a 24-point lead in Game 4, which was the biggest comeback in Finals history since Elias Sports Bureau became the NBA's official keeper of statistics in the 1970-71 season.

"It was a bad taste," Bryant said. "But at the same time, it was like 'We got there.' Everybody knows that we had a lot of guys that missed a lot of games during the year. We shuffled lineups around the place. We missed our key guy to provide our defensive anchor. It is disappointing, but it was a great experience for my guys. It's time to go now."

Andrew Bynum sat out the final 46 regular-season games and all of the playoffs after having season-ending left knee surgery. Bynum is back healthy and ready to man the center position for the Lakers.

Pau Gasol, acquired Feb. 1 from the Memphis Grizzlies, will get a full season and training camp with the Lakers.

Trevor Ariza, acquired Nov. 20, from the Orlando Magic, sat out four months last season recovering from a broken right foot. He's healthy and will provide the Lakers a defensive presence on the wing, possibly even as a starter at small forward instead of Odom.

Bynum, Gasol and Ariza are expected to enhance the Lakers with a full season.

The Lakers remember the horrible feeling of being blown out by the Celtics in the Finals, and none of them want to feel that way again.

"It's something that we don't want to forget, that we want to keep in our minds," Gasol said. "I think that's going to be a factor in every single game, in every single thing, every single day to make us be better, to make us become better to get to that stage again."

Maybe thats what he needs to not be... stupid. I always thought LO, his whole career, could be better. If he made the right decisions all game, dude would beso much more better to the team, and compliment Kobe so much better than people think. But, thats just my opinion.

allen_iverson.jpg
Figure on the trade rumorssurrounding Allen Iverson being hot and heavy until the trading deadline in February. Unless, of course, he's dealt sooner than then.
"I wouldn't see us trying to switch up something if we're doing well,'' Iverson said of the possibility of being traded. "But, atthat point, when it comes to the All-Star Break, we might not be doing as well as the organization feels we're doing. We may think we're doing well.But it might not be enough. So you never know. And I'm always ready for whatever.'' Rocky Mountain News

[h2]Beasley Suffers GroinStrain[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 4:46 PM EST

mia_40.gif
Heat rookieforward Michael Beasley missed a majority of Monday's practice session after suffering a groin strain.

"Just a little sore," Coach Erik Spoelstra said. "Really precautionary. He started practice, did dummy offense, andmoved around a little."

Monday was the first day that Miami ran offensive drills after focusing on defense over the weekend.

"From what I noticed he's got a pretty good basketball IQ," Udonis Haslem said. "Most of the stuff they went overtoday he's already done in summer league. He should know that stuff."

Via Palm Beach Post

Miami Heat

[h2]76ers' DalembertWants To Be An All-Star[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 10:12 AM EST

phi_40.gif
Philadelphiacenter Samuel Dalembert wants to make his first-ever All-Star team this season after averaging a double-double last year.

"Ben Wallace has been an All-Star before by just playing defense," Dalembert said. "You don't have to score 20points a game. My goal has never been scoring. I want guys like Elton Brand to have the ball. I want guys like [Andre] Iguodala to have the ball. I can scoreoff them without having any plays run for me. My main goal is to be a force, a presence inside."

Via The News Journal

Philadelphia 76ers

[h2]Bird Hints That J.O.Wasn't Good Leader[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 10:08 AM EST

ind_40.gif
Larry Birdrecently discussed who will be the Pacers leader this season, and in the process hinted that Jermaine O'Neal wasn't always capable of handling therole.

"Just because you make the most money doesn't mean you're the leader," Bird said. "A lot of guys didn'twant to step on toes. Not only here, but other places I've been at. They'd say, the guy makes the most money, that means he's the leader.That's not the case. The leader comes from the guy doing the right thing, the guy that's going to be there every day at practice, the guy that playsthrough pain without complaining. They do the necessary things to prepare themselves.

"I think the situation you have here, you had one guy making a lot of money and everybody just took it as he's going to beleading us, and in some instances that was true. But I think more now that since it has opened you'll see a number of guys stepping up."

Guys like Danny Granger and Mike Dunleavy Jr. are prime candidates to provide leadership in Indiana this season.

"You can't let your ego take over," Bird said. "It can't be about you. It has to be about the team . . .whoever it is, they will follow because they've been needing it for a long time. . . . There are a few guys down there that other guys will gravitateto."

Via Indianapolis Star

Indiana Pacers

[h2]Heat Leaning Towards ShaunLivingston?[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 10:03 AM EST

mia_40.gif
The Miami Heatcould be moving towards signing free agent point guard Shaun Livingston as their options at the position dwindle.

"At this point, he is leaning toward Miami, but he has not signed anything," agent Henry Thomas said Monday.

Livingston had interest from Portland and Minnesota as well, but the Blazers have since dropped out of the race.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune has reported that the Timberwolves believe the Heat will soon sign Livingston.

"According to Kevin McHale and Jim Stack, their efforts to sign the former Los Angeles Clippers guard are over and they said heis headed for Miami," the newspaper's Web site reported.

Via South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Miami Heat

[h2]Derrick Rose Nervous ForFirst Camp[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 9:58 AM EST

chi_40.gif
Rookie DerrickRose is nervous heading into his first training camp with the Chicago Bulls.

"I'm worried a little bit," Rose said. "But I know with the guys on my team that everybody will help me. They justwant to win.

"I don't know what's going to happen. But all I hear is it's going to be hard. At Memphis, our training camp washard. If it's harder than that, that would be unbelievable."

Rose, the first overall pick in June's NBA Draft, also said that his right knee tendinitis is coming along well.

"It's fine, coming along nicely," Rose added. "I've been working on it and putting stimulation on it everynight. I'm not worried about it at all for the season."

Via Chicago Tribune

Chicago Bulls

[h2]Mavs' Howard ApologizesFor Mistakes[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 9:50 AM EST

dal_40.gif
Mavericksforward Josh Howard took a step towards reconstructing his reputation on Monday when he issued a public apology for his summer transgressions.

"The last five months, it was just me not concentrating on my job," Howard said.

He didn't make any excuses and blamed no one but himself.

His teammates are ready to forget about the drama and just play some basketball.

"Josh is so talented in the open court," Jason Kidd said. "If we can get him out on the run, it'll make the gamebetter for everybody."

Via Dallas Morning News

Dallas Mavericks

[h2]Garcia OfficiallySigns Extension With Kings[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 7:04 AM EST

sac_40.gif
The SacramentoKings signed swingman Francisco Garcia to a multi-year contract extension, announced Monday by Kings' President of Basketball Operations Geoff Petrie. Perteam policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Garcia, a three-year NBA veteran, amassed career averages of 8.1 points (.440 FGs, .357 3FGs, .792 FTs), 2.9 rebounds and 1.4 assistsper game through 225 outings with the Kings. His best year, statistically, occurred during the 2007-08 campaign when he averaged 12.3 points (.462 FGs, .3913FGs, .779 FTs), 3.3 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game over 79 contests. Garcia started in 20 games last season (2007-08), averaging 16.4 points (.448 FGs,.370 3FGs, .798 FTs), 4.6 rebounds and 2.6 assists per game. He recorded a career-high 31 points in 35 minutes at Phoenix on November 21, 2007.

Via Press Release

Sacramento Kings

[h2]Jefferson Says KneeWill Be Ready In 2 Weeks[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 7:03 AM EST

min_40.gif
Minnesotaforward Al Jefferson is around two weeks away from doing contact drills with his teammates, but he says he is feeling great after spraining his right kneeduring a workout with teammates a couple of weeks ago, the Associated Press is reporting.

Via Seattle Times

Minnesota Timberwolves

[h2]Harpring MissingJazz Camp With Ankle Infection[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 7:01 AM EST

uta_40.gif
Jazz forwardMatt Harpring developed a strep infection after the surgery to remove a bone spur in his right ankle in June and will miss training camp, the Associated Pressis reporting.

The Jazz were headed to Boise, Idaho, to open training camp Tuesday. Harpring was instead going to Santa Barbara, Calif., to work withpersonal trainers and try to get his ankle ready for the upcoming season.

"It's been a long process," Harpring said.

Via Seattle Times

Utah Jazz

[h2]Karl Wants To KeepCoaching After Contract[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 6:57 AM EST

den_40.gif
With two yearsremaining on his contract, Nuggets' Coach George Karl made it clear on Monday that he'd like to continue beyond his current deal, the Denver Post isreporting.

"I still think I have a love and passion for coaching, and I'm still good at it," Karl said. "I've said everyyear the window of getting out of it has gotten a little bigger, but the juice of staying in it is still two-to-one over getting out of it. So, personally, Ithink there's three things I'd like to do. I'd like to win a championship, I'd like to stay in Denver to do it, and I'd like to coach myson someday."

Via Denver Post

Denver Nuggets

[h2]Rockets Trying ToGet Under Tax For Mutombo?[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 6:54 AM EST

hou_40.gif
According tothe Houston Chronicle, center Dikembe Mutombo said last week he would wait for the Rockets to make planned roster maneuvers to move beneath the luxury taxthreshold to sign.

"Eventually, we're going to need somebody behind Yao," Coach Rick Adelman said, specifically citing matchups withShaquille O'Neal and Greg Oden. "When you're playing the Shaqs of the world and now Portland with their young big guy (Oden), just size alonehurts you when Yao is out of the game. We'll address that as we go. I feel good about the depth everywhere, but when you play a big guy, it's reallyhard for Carl (Landry) and Chuck (Hayes) and Luis (Scola) to try to play some big strong, physically dominating player."

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets

[h2]Rookie Forward Dorsey SignsContract[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 6:51 AM EST

hou_40.gif
After a longwait, rookie Joey Dorsey has officially signed a contract with the Houston Rockets on Monday, the Houston Chronicle is reporting.

"I was worried," said Dorsey, who signed a contract that could be worth as much as $3.5 million over four years if theRockets pick up each of the last two seasons of the contract. "I went through summer league and all offseason without a contract, so I was getting alittle worried. They called me this morning and said it was done. I was shaking while I signed it, like, 'I can't believe I'm signing.'"

In addition to signing Dorsey, the Rockets on Monday officially matched the Charlotte Bobcats' offer sheet to Carl Landry andsigned guard Von Wafer and center Marcus Campbell to the training camp roster.

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets

[h2]CubanReveals Rift Between Dallas Mavericks, Former Coach[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 6:41 AM EST

dal_40.gif
Mavericks'owner Mark Cuban has revealed that several of his players came to him and said they wanted to be traded if Avery Johnson returned as the team's head coachin 2008-2009, the Dallas Morning News is reporting.

"I knew after I had so many people asking to be traded," Cuban said. "I mean, I had to deal with either the players andmoving them or the coach and moving him."

Johnson was let go after the season and has since been replaced by former Coach of the Year Rick Carlisle.

Via Dallas Morning News

Dallas Mavericks

[h2]Bulls'Gordon At Media Day, Eyes Contract Options[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 6:36 AM EST

chi_40.gif
Ben Gordon wasat hand for the Bulls' media day on Monday despite not having a contract, but he hopes that his situation can be resolved by mid-week, the Associated Pressis reporting.

Gordon will not practice until after Wednesday, which is the deadline for him to sign the qualifying offer.

"I thought [a deal] would be done by now," said Gordon, Chicago's leading scorer last season with an 18.6-point average."I'm disappointed that it lasted all the way into training camp."

"We're still seeing if there's a way to come to some resolution," GM John Paxson said. "As I said the otherday, we have anticipated that Ben would sign the qualifying offer. ... One way or another, it's pretty obvious that Ben's going to be a part of thisteam this year."

Gordon said he would be on hand when two-a-day practice sessions begin Tuesday.

"I'll be here watching, but I'm going to wait [to practice] until my decision on Wednesday," he said.

Via ESPN

Chicago Bulls

[h2]Raptors' Jawai To MissTraining Camp[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 6:34 AM EST

tor_40.gif
Raptor rookieNathan Jawai will be held out of training camp after routine preseason cardiac screenings raised concerns, according to a report by the Globe &Mail.

Jawai will undergo further tests that are expected to be concluded by the end of the week.

The 21-year-old Australian was selected in the second round, 41st overall, by the Indiana Pacers in last month's NBA draft. Hecame to Toronto as part of the deal for Jermaine O'Neal.

Via Globe & Mail

Toronto Raptors

[h2]Lakers'Odom Unhappy With Idea Of Being Sixth Man[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 6:31 AM EST

lal_40.gif
Lakers'forward Lamar Odom was not happy with the idea by Coach Phil Jackson to bring him off the bench as the team's sixth man, the L.A. Times arereporting.

"He must have woke up and bumped his head. He probably hit his head on something -- boom," Odom said about Jackson. "Tostart off like that, you've got to be out of your . . . mind."

Via L.A. Times

Los Angeles Lakers

[h2]Injuries ToT-Mac Already A Concern For Rockets[/h2]
Sep 30, 2008 6:29 AM EST

hou_40.gif
Tracy McGradyis still ailing from off-season knee surgery and will play out the 2008-2009 season with an arthritic left shoulder, but the Rocket forward claims he'll beready to go when the season starts, the Houston Chronicle is reporting.

"My knee is about 75, 80 percent right now," McGrady said. "It took longer than expected. I was expecting to recover100 percent in four months, but (ellipses) the doctor told me it would be six months or even more. My shoulder had after surgery kept bothering me. I hadanother MRI and discovered I have arthritis in there so I have to have surgery again on my shoulder. That's something I have to deal with again thisseason, but my knee should be ready by opening night (Oct. 29)."

McGrady said he will not need that surgery until next off-season but that the condition could hinder his play.

"It's not anything that is going to keep me out of games, but it's going to bother me," he said.

"I played through it last year. I didn't realize how bad it was. I'll be ready to go."

Via Houston Chronicle

Houston Rockets

[h2]Jazz Exercise Option OnBrewer[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 10:03 PM EST

uta_40.gif
The Jazzannounced on Monday that the club has exercised their fourth-year contract option for the 2009-10 season on guard Ronnie Brewer.

Brewer averaged of 8.9 points, 2.2 rebounds, 1.2 assists, and 1.26 steals in 20.9 minutes per game over his first two seasons with theJazz, appearing in 132 games, as reported by Yahoo.com.

Via yahoo.com

Utah Jazz

[h2]Damon Jones And Bucks PartWays[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 9:58 PM EST

mil_40.gif
Guard DamonJones won't be joining the Bucks after all, according to an Associated Press report on Monday.

The Bucks, who open training camp on Tuesday, said that by mutual decision Jones instead would work out on his own and attempt tocatch on with another team. The Bucks said both parties would explore options to help the veteran reach that goal.

Via AP

Milwaukee Bucks

[h2]Spurs' Ginobili CouldMiss Two Months[/h2]
Sep 29, 2008 9:48 PM EST

san_40.gif
Manu Ginobili,who had surgery on his left ankle in early September, could miss at least two months of the season. Though off crutches and out of a protective boot, he'sstill got plenty of rehab, as reported by the Associated Press on Monday.

"It could be a blessing he's gotten operated on, and (surgeons) went in there and cleaned things out," coach GreggPopovich said. "Had he not hurt it in the Olympics, he probably would have done it 15, 25, 35 games into the season.

"His ankle probably would be in better shape now than it's been in years."

Via AP

San Antonio Spurs

5. Will Bynum. Interesting guy. Joe D said they wanted a different look with the No. 3 point guard - and whether Lindsey Hunter comes back for another year or not, Bynum is expected to be the No. 3 point guard with Hunter more of a niche player, probably inactive again most nights. Stuckey and Chauncey Billups are both big, physical guards, while Bynum is a classic waterbug. Talking to him in Vegas, it was clear how dearly he valued the opportunity to crack an NBA roster. This guy remains something of a playground legend in Chicago, which - sorry, New York - has churned out much better point guards over the past few decades than the Big Apple. Yet he's earnest about making the transition from a score-first mentality to concentrating on becoming a defensive nuisance who can run an offense.
pimp.gif

Mavericks' owner Mark Cuban has revealed that several of his players came to him and said they wanted to be traded if Avery Johnson returned as the team's head coach in 2008-2009, the Dallas Morning News is reporting.
These bums got the nerve to try and force a coach out?
roll.gif

tupac003:
allen_iverson.jpg
Figure on the trade rumors surrounding Allen Iverson being hot and heavy until the trading deadline in February. Unless, of course, he's dealt sooner than then.
"I wouldn't see us trying to switch up something if we're doing well,'' Iverson said of the possibility of being traded. "But, at that point, when it comes to the All-Star Break, we might not be doing as well as the organization feels we're doing. We may think we're doing well. But it might not be enough. So you never know. And I'm always ready for whatever.'' Rocky Mountain News
I just entered Iverson's words into a free, online translator. You put in what the athlete said, and it spits out what they really mean.

Here's what I got: "I wouldn't see us trying to switch up something if we're doing well. But, at that point, when it comes to the All-StarBreak, we might not be doing as well as the organization feels we're doing. We may think we're doing well. But it might not be enough. So you neverknow. And I'm always ready for whatever."

Translation: "I want to be traded. KTHXBYE"

[h2]Baron Extension With W'sWas Vetoed?[/h2]
2K9_Davis_Baron_080919.jpg

Sep 30, 2008 11:08 AM EST

gsw_40.gif
Multiple leaguesources have confirmed to Tim Kawakami that leading up to the Baron Davis opt-out deadline, Davis and Warriors chief Chris Mullin reached a tentativeagreement, in which Davis would "opt-in" on his $17.8M for this season, then land a three-year, $39M extension ($13M per).

All money included, that would have paid Davis $56.8M over four seasons, through the 2011-12 season.

But for the offer to become official, it had to be approved by team president Robert Rowell and he reportedly vetoed it.

Via Mercury News

Golden State Warriors,Los Angeles Clippers

ahh whats a Lakers training camp without a bit of heat...the jackson/odom saga begins
indifferent.gif
...i think jackson knows whats hes doing...wasnt odom content with being a6th man?

manu out for months, iverson trade rumors starting back up...

this is the greatest day ever

Back
Top Bottom