Ska its been going on long enough...time to lock....

Originally Posted by tupac003

You don't trade odom for artest....

At least not right now.

We got to the finals. We got spanked because we didn't play great d, the bench went home and kobe played like crap. I rode LO hard this season but there is no reason to trade him when you have bynum coming back and everybody has this finals lost fresh in their minds.

Plus LO's deal comes off of the books after this year. We can use that money to make a run at somebody next season. I don't want kenny's contract and there is no way you can trade artest for odom straight up. Odom makes 14 mil ron makes 7.

I say let the first half of the season play out. If odom plays like crap and you can get a good deal out of it, make the deal. If he plays the way I think he is going to play next year, we look great for keeping him.

Bring's a tear to my eye.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Beats05

roll.gif
Odom is not even close to Artest skill-wise. Sure you pointed out Artest's flaws. But what about Odom's? Dude gets rebounds then dribbles cross-court with his head down then just jacks up the most random lay-ups that of course miss badly 8 out of 10 times. The only reason I'd take him in a trade for Artest is because he's better than any PF on our team. I mean he can actually grab rebounds, a skill nobody on the Kings has. Plus we're good at the 3. John Salmons is ready to start and Garcia needs more playing time. Those 2 shined when Artest was "injured," and with him playing, those 2 are practically useless. So this is definitely not talent-for-talent; it's need for need. Do the Lakers really want Vladmir Radmonovic and Luke Walton guarding Allen and Pierce next year? Do the Kings really want Mikki Moore at the starting PF position next year? It just makes sense for both teams.

But don't for a second think Odom is better than Artest. Artest has a Defensive Player of the Year Award, has averaged over 20 points multiple times, has led the league or been in the top 3 for steals for many many years, has at least one all-star appearance I can think of off the top of my head, and is just flat-out the best defender of 2's and 3's in the game. Sure he's a crackhead on offense, but that's only because he has to be a 2nd option in Sac (although he insists he's the first option...). In LA he can concentrate on defense, something he said he'd do with Gasol and Bryant carrying the scoring load. And don't forget, Odom is even more of a crackhead on offense. Sac wants him for the rebounding, period.

Ideally I want Zach Randolph or David Lee though. I'd only take Odom if NY is unwilling to trade or if LA is stupid enough to take on K9's crappy contract.

And the shot about the "little-known players" we think are "gold"...don't kid yourself. Kevin Martin is the future. He's at the top of the league in free throw attempts and makes and is only coming off his 3rd year in the league. He scores 24 ppg on 15 fg's per game. About 50% from the field, 40% from the three point line, 90% from the FT line, hits game winners. It's absurd how people are so high off of Monta Ellis but diss K-Mart, who is the better player by far.

I don't know who says that Monta is better than Kevin Martin. I would take Kevin Martin over Monta Ellis any day of the week, but the differencebetween the two is only that Kevin Martin is bigger, and he has much better range than Monta. Monta's a very good shooter as well, but isn't asproficient at the line. Let me clarify, Monta isn't as good as Kevin Martin, but it's not a huge margin.

Originally Posted by blaxoid

Odom does appear to fit better in the Triangle, but his lack of testicular fortitude on display in the finals can not be ignored. If anything, Artest will never do that which is already a big plus.

roll.gif

At least not right now.

We got to the finals. We got spanked because we didn't play great d, the bench went home and kobe played like crap. I rode LO hard this season but there is no reason to trade him when you have bynum coming back and everybody has this finals lost fresh in their minds.

Plus LO's deal comes off of the books after this year. We can use that money to make a run at somebody next season. I don't want kenny's contract and there is no way you can trade artest for odom straight up. Odom makes 14 mil ron makes 7.

I say let the first half of the season play out. If odom plays like crap and you can get a good deal out of it, make the deal. If he plays the way I think he is going to play next year, we look great for keeping him.
this man speaks the truth. Keep LO!!

Originally Posted by Da Doc03

At least not right now.

this man speaks the truth. Keep LO!!
I agree with that, my only problem is I dont care how the lakers look in the first half of the season, i really dont care how they look in the secondhalf. The lakers are going to be a top 3 seed regardless of Odom. I care what they do in the Finals. Say Odom plays well all year long, and then gets to thefinals and is a no show. Or say he has a great 1st half, and horrible 2nd half. With our offense I have always thought it has been better to trade in theoffseaon rather during season.

Sure Pau worked out, but the triangle is very complicated and i think having players together during training camp really helps. I dont really care if theymake the trade or not just mid season shake ups might not be the best thing. With the exception of Pau

The Ron Artest media tour continued over the weekend, when the Kings small forward submitted his longest e-mail rant yet to ESPN's Marc Stein. Having already shared his regret over not opting out of his contract last month after learning he wasn't in the Kings' long-term plans, Artest expressed a desire to be traded and claimed he was "blinded by friendship" with the Maloof family that owns the Kings. Sacramento Bee

To those close to the team last season, the prospect of Artest being given a long-term extension in the summer was minimal at best. And if any of the public signs should have been heeded, it was the monthlong trade discussions with Denver before the February trade deadline. The sticking point on the Kings' end was their unfulfilled request for third-year forward Linas Kleiza, a reserve whose solid reputation remains built mostly on his promise. Then, as now, the Kings were more than willing to end Artest's Sacramento stay for the right deal. Sacramento Bee

While the Lakers continue to head the list of likely destinations for Artest, the combination of his expiring contract ($7.4 million) and his indisputable talent have led to increased interest than in February. Lakers forward Lamar Odom and his expiring contract ($14.5 million) would be the significant piece coming Sacramento's way in that scenario, though there are other similar opportunities that might arise for the Kings. Sacramento Bee

Miami is believed to have interest in Artest and be willing to part with Shawn Marion, whose $17.1 million deal also is expiring. As will be the case with most suitors, the question will be whether the Kings can include forward Kenny Thomas and his deal that includes two more seasons and approximately $18 million. Sacramento Bee

Heat: James Jones' deal, which could be worth as much as $23 million over five years, essentially starts as a two-year contract worth in excess of $8 million. Should the Heat drop the 6-foot-8 forward from the roster before the July 1, 2010 start of free agency, Jones would become a free agent and collect roughly $2 million for each of those remaining three years. He also has the right to terminate the contract after a fourth year should he be retained. South Florida Sun-Sentinel

With Lamar Odom mentioned in Lakers trade speculation, Wade acknowledged there still are times he thinks about his former Heat teammate. "I love L.O. as a person and, of course, as a player," Wade said. "We had one year together. I wish we could have had more. "It's a guy who I've always said it's a possibility when he left that he can maybe come back. ... A player like that, we would love to have a chance to get because he's so versatile." South Florida Sun-Sentinel

The Orlando Magic have held serious trade talks with the Memphis Grizzlies about point guard Javaris Crittenton, proof that the Magic have abandoned any serious hopes of retaining combo guard Keyon Dooling. Dooling, Orlando's top reserve off the bench last season, blasted the Magic on Monday for offering him their Bi-Annual Exception, a contract that would be worth $4.2 million for two years. Florida Today

Dooling, who made $3.5 million last season while averaging 8.1 points and 1.8 assists, summarily rejected the offer saying he was "insulted" by it. "I don't even know why they offered that bi-annual because I rejected it right away. I don't know if they were trying to devalue me or whatever the case may be, but that wasn't acceptable," said Dooling, Orlando's top on-ball defender last season. "It's ridiculous. That's not a suitable offer for someone who was a good player on a good team. It wasn't a market value offer and that's the bottom line." Florida Today

To get Crittenton, the Magic would most likely surrender veteran shooting guard Keith Bogans and multiple draft picks. Orlando has a glut of shooting guards with Pietrus, Bogans, J.J. Redick and rookie Courtney Lee. Florida Today

Keyon Dooling, of course, saw his market shrink when Orlando signed Pietrus, so his best bet to get into a more aggressive price range would be Golden State (now looking for a starter) and New Orleans (especially if Pargo leaves). They can give him midlevel money. Meanwhile, the Nets, as you know, handed Eddie Najera a $3.4M jumpoff point, which leaves $2.18 from their MLE to give some worthy recruit. Newark Star-Ledger

We're told that Denver isn't ready to make a deal right now, even though the Nuggets know they have to eventually part with Camby. And when they reach that point, there is no guarantee that they'll want to deal with Kiki - the guy just took Najera away from them, and he didn't exactly have a lot of friends over there to begin with. Newark Star-Ledger

Deron Williams has said he would like to finalize an extension before he leaves either Saturday or Sunday for USA Basketball training camp in Las Vegas. Williams will travel from there to Beijing for the Olympics. McClaren said he has talked "several times every day" with O'Connor since the two met Wednesday and that no additional meeting had been scheduled. Salt Lake Tribune

Jazz coach Jerry Sloan voiced his disagreement with restricted free-agent guard C.J. Miles' decision to skip the Revue for the second consecutive summer. "He's not probably getting advice from me," Sloan said. "If he was, he'd be here." Sloan said Miles came into training camp "way, way behind" last year and said he hoped he'd learned a lesson about staying in shape. "If he's behind again, I don't know what to do about it," Sloan said. "We'll just pick somebody that's ready to go." Salt Lake Tribune

The Jazz have tendered Miles a $1.2 million qualifying offer to return this season, but Miles would like a multiyear deal. Miles' agent, Billy Ceisler, hasn't returned calls for more than a week. Sloan did suggest Miles remains in the Jazz's plans. Salt Lake Tribune

The courtship of Tyronn Lue proved fleeting for the Heat, with the free-agent point guard bypassing a scheduled Monday physical with the team. Pfund said the Heat had no plans to issue an offer to Lue, 31, and indicated the team would wait until later in the offseason to possibly utilize its $1.9 million lower-level exception, its lone remaining salary-cap chip. South Florida Sun-Sentinel

A day after saying he expected an offer from the Heat pending a physical, free agent Tyronn Lue decided against going through with that physical exam Monday, and the Heat now is looking elsewhere in its search for another point guard. That search could take some time, though, Heat general manager Randy Pfund indicated Monday. Miami Herald

Lue, bothered by a calf injury last season, said Sunday he would take a physical at 5 a.m. Monday, but he never showed up. He indicated he also was considering Boston and Phoenix. Pfund acknowledged there was interest, but the Heat never made an offer. The Heat could sign a point guard with its $1.9 million bi-annual exception or trade for one to complement rookie Mario Chalmers and veteran Marcus Banks. Restricted free agent Chris Quinn, who has a qualifying offer from the Heat, continues to speak with other teams. Miami Herald

The Rockets agreed to release center Loren Woods from his contract on Monday, then signed this season's first-round pick Donte' Greene before their first game in the Las Vegas NBA Summer League on Monday. Woods, who had been signed late last season to a partially-guaranteed contract for next season, had been receiving interest from several European teams and asked for his release. The Rockets had been considering him as a potential backup for Yao Ming, particularly if they are unable to sign free agent Dikembe Mutombo. Houston Chronicle

Ron-Ron is down-down on the Nuggets. The Nuggets tried to deal for Sacramento forward Ron Artest before last February's trading deadline, and he never seemed bothered by the prospect of playing for them. But not now. Rocky Mountain News

That Zach Randolph-to-the-Clippers scenario for a second-round draft pick reminded us of a few summers ago, when the Nets were in salary-dump mode and besides letting Kenyon Martin leave for Denver, also dealt Kerry Kittles to the Clips for a second-rounder. Fans screamed, with reason. This, though, is a little different. Dealing Z-Bo for essentially nothing would be simple addition-by-subtraction, unloading not only a salary-cap albatross, but freeing Eddy Curry, if you presume he can be of any use next season. Bergen Record

The 6-foot-10 Gallinari missed his first five shots before knocking down a 15-footer late in the third quarter. On the Knicks next possession, Gallinari, held scoreless in the first half, misfired on an open jumper. His best moment came in the final minute of the period when he jumped high for an offensive rebound and dunked it all in one motion. NY Daily News

In the fourth quarter, Gallinari showed off his ball handling skills by using a crossover dribble to beat J.J. Hickson to the basket. He sank five of his last six shots but oddly enough he was on the bench for all but the last seven seconds of the final five minutes. NY Daily News

With trade rumors swirling around Artest, I sent him an e-mail Sunday asking if would have interest in being dealt to the Nuggets. He wasted no time in giving a definitive no. "I cannot play in Denver because they question my drive to finish my career off strong and not embarrass my family,'' Artest wrote Sunday night. "Any player wants to win a championship is low risk.'' Rocky Mountain News

So what's that all about? I can't remember anybody on the Nuggets criticizing Artest. So Artest was sent another e-mail on Monday asking who on the Nuggets might have spoken ill of him. The e-mail also asked if his thinking means he won't consider Denver when he becomes a free agent next summer. Rocky Mountain News

artest is an idiot. plain and simple. im sure when hes done playing he will have to come out with the same thing heshal walker did about being bipolar orsomething. i dont see any other explanation for how he acts

Yeah, okay. Miami has interest. What would the Kings have to offer to get him? Junk. Riley would want to try and pry the likes of Udrih off of our hands, butall we'd have to offer is the combo of Salmons/Moore. I'm sure Shelden would be thrown in for good measure. Either way, Miami wouldn't be happywith any deal coming their way.

Artest and Miller maybe, but I dont even know about that.

Question for Lakers fans, not that I'm for this but would you be willing to do the Marion for Odom + Fillers swap. Just wanted to some fan opinion.

Question for Lakers fans, not that I'm for this but would you be willing to do the Marion for Odom + Fillers swap. Just wanted to some fan opinion.
I would be willing to do it in a heartbeat, but it would probably mean that Miami would have to take back one of our %$+@*@ contracts to make thetrade work which im sure Miami isnt willing to do.

WILLINC wrote:

I actually wouldn't mind that trade. IMO LO=TRIX. Trix has just been a little more consistent. I believe that deal has been talked about. Somethinglike LO and Mhim for Trix. Wade likes LO, Trix and Kobe get along.

I just don't see the lakers making a deal for artest knowing that kenny thomas's contract has to come with. Only straight up trade we could do with sacfor artest would be vlad+cash. No way sac is that dumb.

Originally Posted by Scottsauce88

I would be willing to do it in a heartbeat, but it would probably mean that Miami would have to take back one of our %$+@*@ contracts to make the trade work which im sure Miami isnt willing to do.

I would do this in a heartbeat also... u know the thing is I don't like Odom and people just keep saying ''give him a break''... I justdon't want this dude on the Lakers... plain and simple... so Artest and Marion are great replacements in my opinion.... Marion is more athletic and canshoot the wide open jumper... also, last year at one point in the season, dude was top five in rebounds, steals and blocks... to me that's an upgrade....

hell no... i would not give up marion for odom... i dont know what it is but i just hate odom... im happy with the forwards we have with the heat right now...buit we just need a big man... and if we have to trade marion then thats fine but not for odom... chalmers, wade, marion/jones, beasley/haslem, blount/barron..im gonna be killing in 2k9

Originally Posted by franchise3

Because L.O. is a good fit in the offense you guys are running.

L.O. has skills. He's a point forward. Good passer.

With Bynum back, he gives you guys a towering frontline.

Bynum - Gasol - Odom

That's way too much height right there.

And L.O. is all right with being the 3rd option on your team.

...would Artest be?

Is Artest the type of 'within the flow of the offense' type player, like L.O. is?

Artest brings you defense on the outside, but wouldn't a healthy Ariza do the same?

All I'm saying is, you guys DID go to the Finals, is Artest THAT much better than L.O.? To the point of where you guys have to take back Kenny Thomas's
contract?

I agree with you. Even if Ariza's perimeter defense doesn't quite stack up to Ron Ron's. We made it to the Finals with Odom. I don't want himgone just yet. Our chemistry is pretty good right now and with Bynum coming back....watch out. If we're going to add anybody, let it be Posey (perimeter D)and/or Kurt Thomas. I'd like that.

I just don't see the lakers making a deal for artest knowing that kenny thomas's contract has to come with. Only straight up trade we could do with sac for artest would be vlad+cash. No way sac is that dumb.
Maybe they're dumb enough to take walton.
laugh.gif

Artest to LA looks like it's going to happen. Every comment from Artest is just lowering his trade value....
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Why the heck would the Clippers go after Iggy?

PG-Diddy
SG-Gordon
SF-Thornton
PF-???
C-Kaman

Clippers stay making terrible decisions
smh.gif
Easy we acquire Iggy and start him @ SG then do a S&T for Z-Bo(excluding Gordon in the deal of course) then our projected lineup for 08/09 isDiddy/Iggy/Thornton/Z-Bo/Kaman. No way Gordon is in the starting lineup unless he has a Brandon Roy type season which I highly doubt. Also, T.Thomas, Mobleyand our 2nd Rd pick are expendable so let's make a deal!
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by mjshoefanatic

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Why the heck would the Clippers go after Iggy?

PG-Diddy
SG-Gordon
SF-Thornton
PF-???
C-Kaman

Clippers stay making terrible decisions
smh.gif
Easy we acquire Iggy and start him @ SG then do a S&T for Z-Bo(excluding Gordon in the deal of course) then our projected lineup for 08/09 is Diddy/Iggy/Thornton/Z-Bo/Kaman. No way Gordon is in the starting lineup unless he has a Brandon Roy type season which I highly doubt. Also, T.Thomas, Mobley and our 2nd Rd pick are expendable so let's make a deal!
glasses.gif

I don't care what Randolph give you stat wise, he is going to hurt that team like no other.
sick.gif

It would be nice for LAC to go after Iggy though and just go small with Iggy at SF and Gordon/Mobley at SG with Thornton playing the 4.

^ Thornton is not build for the 4 just yet and like I said Gordon aint ready to start unless we deal Mobley. Players like Haslem, Sheed and Marion arepossibilties but more "eaiser said then done" if anything.

tupac003 has already covered most of what I'm going to post but everyone loves their rumors, right?

Tuesday, July 15

[h3]Council Terminates KeyArena Lease[/h3]The Seattle City Council on Monday terminated the KeyArena lease with the Seattle Sonics, allowing owner Clay Bennett to take the team to Oklahoma City in exchange for a $45 million payment to the city.
Canceling the lease by Monday was a condition of the settlement agreement hammered out hours before U.S. District Judge Marsha Pechman was scheduled to issue her ruling on July 2. -- The Seattle Times
  • "It's a sad day to lose the Sonics," Councilwoman Jan Drago said. "Now we need to do what we can to support the Storm, keep them vital and keep them in Seattle." -- Seattle Post-Intelligencer

[h3]Agent Weighs Offers[/h3]
James Posey | Celtics
Although Boston Celtics free agent James Posey is uncertain where he will play next season, he remains interested in the Hornets.
"There is certainly interest on both sides," said Mark Bartelstein, who represents Posey. "We have had a lot of continued talks."

Besides the Hornets, Posey is considering offers from the Celtics, Cleveland Cavaliers and Los Angeles Lakers. Bartelstein said Posey could make his decision this week. -- The Times-Picayune
  • Both Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge and Posey's rep, Mark Bartelstein, reported no movement in the talks yesterday. Posey's side knows the Celts offer and is looking for better. -- Boston Herald
  • "It's never been a big thing," Posey said of a possible move to Cleveland. "To go back home is cool. It's your hometown. But, at the same time, my family understands. If it's somewhere else, they support me anywhere I go, so it doesn't even matter about that."
    The Celtics' success last season could influence Posey's decision.

"You have to look at it on both sides, what we accomplished this past season and the business side," Posey said. "With that, you take it and move on with it. At the end of the day both sides are going to do what's best for themselves." -- The Boston Globe

[h3]Crittenton To The Magic?[/h3]
Javaris Crittenton | Grizzlies
The Orlando Magic have held serious trade talks with the Memphis Grizzlies about point guard Javaris Crittenton, proof that the Magic have abandoned any serious hopes of retaining combo guard Keyon Dooling.
The agent for Memphis' Crittenton, Wallace Prather, said he was aware the Magic had started trade talks with the Grizzlies about his client.

"I know there's a lot of interest between the two teams and I have a call in to Otis (Smith) to talk to him about it," Prather said on Monday. "We know a lot of the players on the Magic team, so it would be a good fit for Javaris." -- Florida Today

[h3]Maloof: Artest Needs To Settlle Down[/h3]
Ron Artest | Kings
Kings co-owner Joe Maloof has a message for his conflicted player.
"He (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3339Ron Artest) has to balance the way he acts," Joe Maloof said by phone. "He's got to control his emotions a little better. You've got to try and keep your cool a little bit.

"Take a deep breath and quit flying off the handle with comments that don't make sense. I hate to say it that way, but that's how I feel. It doesn't make sense to me."

"(Artest's comments have) never changed our opinions of him," Joe Maloof said. "We brag about him every chance we get. We speak out about how appreciative we are for everything he's done. And he's done a lot. People like him. We like him. He's just got to settle down."-- Sacramento Bee

Artest Can't Play In Denver
  • "I cannot play in Denver because they question my drive to finish my career off strong and not embarrass my family," Artest wrote Sunday night. "Any player wants to win a championship is low risk."
    Artest's answer wasn't specific. But he's definitely down on playing for the Nuggets. "That's not even an option to be a Nugget," he wrote. "They let me know how they felt about me already." -- Rocky Mountain News

[h3]No Formal Offers[/h3]
Louis Williams | 76ers
Yesterday, Louis Williams' agent, Merle Scott, said that although a number of teams have shown interest in his client, none has made a formal offer, and both parties -- Williams and the Sixers -- intend to make a deal that keeps the guard in Philadelphia.
"We're in discussion," Scott said. "They want Louis to be back and Louis wants to be back, and we're figuring out his appropriate market value." -- The Philadelphia Inquirer

[h3]Lue Will Have To Wait[/h3]
Tyronn Lue | Mavericks
If point guard Tyronn Lue wants to play for the Heat, he may have to wait a while to get an offer.
At a news conference to introduce forward James Jones, General Manager Randy Pfund said Monday that the team has not decided if it will extend an offer to Lue -- or any free agent.

"We are kind of in a waiting mode," said Pfund, who signed Jones last week to provide three-point shooting. "I don't think there's anything immediate." -- Palm Beach Post
  • Lue said Sunday he had narrowed his free-agent choice to the Heat, Celtics and Suns. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel
  • The main competition for Lue remains Boston, which also is believed to be offering a one-year veteran minimum deal worth $1.26 million. Suns center Shaquille O'Neal has called Lue, his friend and former teammate, to make a recruiting pitch, but Lue also is longtime friends with Boston star Kevin Garnett. Lue stays at Garnett's Malibu home each summer for workouts. -- The Arizona Republic

[h3]Minor Trade In The Works[/h3]The Rockets agreed to release center Loren Woods from his contract, then signed this season's first-round pick Donté Greene before their first game in the Las Vegas NBA Summer League.
GM Daryl Morey added Monday's moves will not be the last, saying he planned a "minor" trade for this month.

"There is definitely going to be a roster management move," Morey said. "probably in the next two weeks."

Steve Novak, who played on the past two Summer League teams, is not participating this season, indicating he might not be in the Rockets' plans, though they extended his contract last season. -- Houston Chronicle

[h3]Insulting Offer[/h3]
Keyon Dooling | Magic
Keyon Dooling blasted the Magic on Monday for offering him their Bi-Annual Exception, a contract that would be worth $4.2 million for two years. Dooling summarily rejected the offer saying he was "insulted" by it.
"I don't even know why they offered that bi-annual because I rejected it right away. I don't know if they were trying to devalue me or whatever the case may be, but that wasn't acceptable," said Dooling, Orlando's top on-ball defender last season. "It's ridiculous. That's not a suitable offer for someone who was a good player on a good team. It wasn't a market value offer and that's the bottom line."

"We're not talking the same language. I don't know if the door is closed (on a return to the Magic), but we're not talking the same language. But I'm not doing any of the door closing. It's being closed in my face." -- Florida Today

[h3]Johnson: We Have To Be Ready To Go[/h3]
Joe Johnson | Hawks
Joe Johnson, who said he talked with Josh Smith before the start of the free-agency period, just wants a team ready to build on last season's playoff appearance.
"Whatever happens, and I don't care to speculate on anyone else's business, we have to be ready to go as a unit when training camp starts," Johnson said. "We worked too hard and accomplished too much late [this past] season to let anything stop us now. We have to be ready to go as a unit when training camp hits.

"The rest of the East is loading up and getting ready to chase Boston. And we pushed them as hard as anybody did throughout the playoffs, so we know what we're capable of if we play at our peak." -- Atlanta Journal-Constitution

[h3]Creative Accounting[/h3]
James Jones | Heat
It took creative accounting between Heat Vice President Andy Elisburg and agent Joel Bell to add James Jones to the roster and also preserve the Heat's goal of significant cap space in the 2010 offseason, when Dwyane Wade as well as LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Chris Bosh and Amare Stoudemire could be free agents.
Jones' deal, which could be worth as much as $23 million over five years, essentially starts as a two-year contract worth in excess of $8 million. Should the Heat drop the 6-foot-8 forward from the roster before the July 1, 2010 start of free agency, Jones would become a free agent and collect roughly $2 million for each of those remaining three years. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel

[h3]The Great Debate[/h3]Trail Blazers general manager Kevin Pritchard has a tough decision to make in the coming months: Sign up-and-coming point guard Petteri Koponen, or keep an open roster spot entering the regular season.
On Monday, after Koponen scored 19 points and made 4-of-6 three pointers in the Summer League opener, his decision became even tougher.

"I don't know. I don't even really want to think about it," Pritchard said. "I want to watch these games, have fun with that, see if he improves as the week goes on ... and if he does, he has a spot." -- The Oregonian

[h3]House Wants To Remain With Celtics[/h3]
Eddie House | Celtics
Eddie House reiterated that he wants to remain with the Celtics, but it's fairly clear the club will have other veteran options that could come in for a one-year deal and thus decrease the cost to the club on the luxury tax. The NBA reimburses teams a portion of contracts signed by veterans, making one-and-done deals attractive to clubs over the tax threshold.
In the case of the available Tyronn Lue, the fact he's a close friend of Kevin Garnett won't hurt his chances. -- Boston Herald
  • Asked what he would want from the Celtics, House replied, "Years and, definitely, a raise. I feel I deserve a raise. Some security." -- The Boston Globe

[h3]Agent Talking With Magic[/h3]
Jason Williams | Heat
Point guard Jason Williams' agent, Dan Tobin, said Monday that he is still talking with the Magic about Williams filling the club's back-up role behind Jameer Nelson.
Tobin added, however, "I wouldn't say anything is imminent."

"There has been interest on both sides," said Tobin by cell phone from Las Vegas. "We're talking to them and several other teams." -- Orlando Sentinel

[h3]Nets Explore Trade Possibilities[/h3]The Nets don't want to lose free agent Bostjan Nachbar altogether and are trying to explore sign-and-trade possibilities for him. They also are looking into that route for Nenad Krstic, but there remains a chance the restricted free-agent big man will return. -- The Record

[h3]Great Value[/h3]Glenn Schwartzman, the agent for Darrell Armstrong and Michael Doleac, has spoken to the Magic about interest in the veteran point guard and reserve center. Nothing is imminent at the time, Schwartzman said, but Orlando could seemingly use help at both positions.
"We just feel like Darrell could take a very good team and make it a great team," said Schwartzman, who noted that Armstrong turned down multiple coaching opportunities in hopes of playing one more NBA season. "He'd be signing at the veterans' minimum so he wouldn't cost that much. But because of what he brings to a team off the court and in the locker room we feel Darrell could have great value to a team." -- Florida Today

[h3]Still In Their Plans[/h3]
Dikembe Mutombo | Rockets
Dikembe Mutombo, 42, said last month he had decided to "consider" playing again, indicating it would depend on contract negotiations. But the Rockets seem likely to offer only the veteran's minimum contract, worth about $1.2 million, Mutombo signed last season.
"Dikembe is still in our plan," GM Daryl Morey said. -- Houston Chronicle

[h3]Miles Away[/h3]
C.J. Miles | Jazz
Jazz coach Jerry Sloan voiced his disagreement with restricted free-agent guard C.J. Miles' decision to skip the Revue for the second consecutive summer. "He's not probably getting advice from me," Sloan said. "If he was, he'd be here."
Sloan said Miles came into training camp "way, way behind" last year and said he hoped he'd learned a lesson about staying in shape. "If he's behind again, I don't know what to do about it," Sloan said. "We'll just pick somebody that's ready to go."

"We didn't give [Miles] less of a chance last year," Sloan said. "I couldn't do anything about his conditioning. But you can't get in shape in three days for the NBA." -- The Salt Lake Tribune

[h3]Surgery Set For Friday[/h3]
Luke Walton | Lakers
Luke Walton will have surgery Friday to remove bone spurs from his right ankle and expects to be out of action for four weeks.
Walton hopes the surgery will alleviate the pain he felt in the ankle all last season.

"It's the kind of thing that you don't know if the surgery will help. But I'm optimistic," Walton said by phone. -- The Press-Enterprise

[h3]Front Office Shake-Up Continues[/h3]Two more executives have left Spurs Sports & Entertainment, a month after the sudden departure of Executive Vice President Russ Bookbinder.
The moves are part of an ongoing shake-up of the Spurs front office that could have more repercussions later this summer.

Bruce Guthrie, Spurs vice president, and Paula Winslow, vice president of human resources, left the organization that includes the NBA franchise, the WNBA's Silver Stars, hockey's Rampage and management of the AT&T Center. -- San Antonio Express-News

Magic fans might not like this..........

ORLANDO, Fla. -- The Orlando Magic signed veteran free-agentpoint guard Anthony Johnson on Tuesday.

Johnson will back up starter Jameer Nelson as heenters his 12th NBA season. He played in 69 games last season for the AtlantaHawks and Sacramento Kings.

Johnson had a brief stint with Orlando in the 1999-2000 season, appearing in 18 games.

The 33-year-old guard has played with seven different teams, averaging 5.7 points and 2.9 assists.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Originally Posted by WILLINC

Marion wants to be a go-to guy, which is the reason he wanted out of Phoenix. His poor attitude would not be welcomed by me on the Lakers.

I don't even want Artest on this team but I'd rather have him than Marion.

Back
Top Bottom