sneakers at grammys???

Y'all shoe dudes, lol. Can't even take fam on a decent vaca w/o drama, but online like ya got it like that.
yo Lavan. Did i read this right? lol....last I checked I was on Vaca minding my own business without posting anything on here, but thanks forclearing up my own personal situation bro. good PI work! what does a vaca have to do with being "online like ya got it like that." sooo worried aboutthe next man, or "yall shoe dudes"; bamma type it @ least twice per negative post for no apparent reason. lol... but just like the myspace comment ileft on your page, "holla homie". annnnnnnnnnnnnnd cut.

Originally Posted by iCan

but just like the myspace comment i left on your page, "holla homie". annnnnnnnnnnnnnd cut.

Y'all shoe dudes only holla when its something to benefit YOU. Ain't no sincerity to it, ya dig? I know who myfam is in this "hobby"...

Again, I string when I please.

interesting interview.....off topic?...maybe not being this post is going different ways than originally intended

link: http://www.hiphopdx.com/blogs/ambassador/2008/02/20/kind-of-a-big-deal.html

Amanda: So you just returned from Los Angeles for a trip to the Grammy awards. How was it?
Wale
: Great man. I put together the last piece of the people that I needed to meet to put together my perfect album, and that was Pharrell. Wetalked for a minute on Rodeo Drive where we bumped into eachother. We talked for about fifteen minutes in the middle of the street. So, that was cool. And thehomie Mark - you know my labelmate, the person who runs my label, won three Grammys. It was very inspirational.

A: Pharrell? You planning on keeping it local with DMV artists?
Wale
: Man, Pharrell already know. Pusha T? Look out for the record. I got a crazy, crazy, joint I did with two people. One is from Texas,one from Virginia. It's crazy. Crazy!

A: I heard you're going to be on The Roots' upcoming LP as well. What's good with that?
Wale
: I mean it's a great record, you know? Yeah. It's a great record.

A: You shouted out Black Thought on 100 Miles and Running. So did he reach out to you because of that?
Wale
: They just liked my stuff, you know what I'm saying? It was like a mutual respect. And now it's just like whenever they talk, Ilisten.

A: Hm…"Nike Boots". How does it feel to pretty much have the theme song for a shoe?
Wale
: It was a good look. It was just the other side of Wale…there's the trendsetting, tastemaker Wale that's the one that's moreexposed. But the other side of Wale is just the Wale that walks around D.C. and Maryland all the time in Nike boots. The street narrator side of Waledoesn't really get exposed as much, but on this mixtape [Mixtape About Nothing] it'll probably come out more.

A: Explain the Nike boot thing to people that may not be from around here and not understand it as much.
Wale
: It's pretty much a metaphor for the dark state of mind of a person that's within the confines of D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. Youknow, the unimpressed, dark, unmovable, unscratchable…

A: A lot of people are saying that you're putting D.C. on the map. You're the one to really do it, it's all you,etc…
Wale
: You know the thing is that I used to be caught up with that "putting D.C. on the map", and doin' it, and being the first, butnow I just say "man…". I had a long talk with Jay and he just said "make the best music you can make". And at the end of the day you haveto take a step back and say, "yo, that's all I really can do. Just make the best music I can make." That's it. I mean I love where I'mfrom, but I'm not going to sit up here and…you know. Because then you lose sight of the common goal, which is to make great music. Timeless music.

A: But with a mindstate like that, how do you react when people compare you to artists like Lupe Fiasco? "Wale is the nextLupe," and all of that stuff.
Wale
: Diehard Lupe fans are going to be offended by that. And then they're already going to make their judgements about me and then not be Walefans. So it's unfair to me, and it's unfair to Lupe. And Wale fans are going to get mad and then be like, "well, you can't say that". SoI just say let every artist fight his own battle, have his own plight, and walk his own walk. And never compare any two artists, because it's unfair toboth. I personally don't see any comparisons to Lupe. At all. And Lupe probably doesn't see any comparisons either.

A: There's a definite gogo element in your mixtapes, and you've been on tracks such as Mambo Sauce's "Welcome toD.C." remix, and this has brought gogo to the ears of people who hadn't been exposed to it previously. Do you think that now is the time that gogo isgoing to blow up and leave the confines of the district?
Wale
: It's hard to really say. Everything runs its course. Gogo could never blow up, or it could be the phenomenon of 2008-2009, and so on. Butyou really can't say, man.

A: Do you think that would be detrimental though? Would going mainstream possibly risk sanitizing the gogo sound?
Wale: I mean, music is music man. It's made for people to hear. If I make a new genre of music in the confines of thisroom that holds four or five people in it right now, it's not like "Oh, well, this music is only for the four or five people in this room rightnow", it's for anybody that's blessed to have a set of ears, you know what I'm saying?

A: I'm surprised gogo didn't catch on earlier. Is there any sort of reason in your mind as to why this may be the case?
Wale
: Maybe because it's too regional and people are protective over it. Maybe it's an acquired taste. I grew up on it. I rememberblock parties, I remember Junkyard, I remember all those things, and those things are just…we made it up. We made it up and we ran with it before you found outabout it, and it took so long for you to find out about it that it became regional. It became something that only we understand.

A: I mean even Spike Lee hooked it up with "Da Butt" in School Daze, but even then, people know that song but theydon't associate it with gogo.
Wale: Yeah, it doesn't register. Maybe they didn't follow up well enough.

A: I miss those old days.
Wale: I miss 'em too, man.

A: What's good with the debut album? A Wale LP?
Wale
: We got guys. I got good mentors, man. I got good people that I can play songs for and give ideas to and get their feedback from. I got guyslike Ronson and Just Blaze that I talk to on a creative level every once in a while. And most importantly I got the people that I've been hanging with. Ihave so many songs, so you never know. When the deal is done, and I play the records for whoever it may be, whether it be Def Jam, Capitol, or whoever…I have agood foundation. I got Rique, Dan, Mike - these guys over here that I play the records for, and they have great ears, you know what I mean? And we haven'tlet eachother down yet as far as me writing a record and them saying "OK, go to radio with this". We haven't let eachother down yet. We got the"Impala test". When it sounds good in Rique's Impala, then we run with it to radio.

A: You got that look on your face like you're anxious.
Wale: Oh man, I'm ready. We're looking at this fall for it to come out. But I'm going to keep everybody, you know,appeased in the meantime.

A: One of the largest critiques that you get from people is that you rep D.C. but you're from PG County. What's up with that?It's like the area isn't unified.
Wale\
: [Laughs] If they got something to say, that's great. I mean I lived in D.C. for ten years, I lived in PG County for thirteen. So I mean,you know, sue me. I've done more shows in D.C. than I have in PG. You know, a lot of my family is still in D.C., most of my team is from D.C. It's justlike when you go to Europe and you be like "Well I live in Largo. I live in Landover," they're gonna be like "huh?". So you're like"OK, D.C.". You know what I'm sayin'? You know. D.C., like right there. D.C., the district, is made for working. PG is made for thepeople that work in D.C., you know what I'm saying? I work in D.C. You know, I was born there, so if I rep Maryland hard then the people that knew me whenI was in D.C. would be like "why don't you ever rep D.C.?", so it's a catch 22.

A: Do you think that's bad though? There's just this separation within the area.
Wale
: It's segregation. It's like School Daze all over again. But I don't care. It's all good. Like I said, most of my teamgrew up in D.C. and we just migrated. Everybody migrates. 90% of us won't live there in the next ten years anyway.

A: So let's say somebody from out of town that had never been here before was coming to D.C. What's the one place you would tellthem to make sure they got to?
Wale: Hm. That's a good question. Ben's Chili Bowl. Or Georgetown to go shopping.

A: The Mixtape About Nothing. What's it about, besides nothing?
Wale: At the end of the day, mixtapes really aren't about anything anyway. They're just songs you couldn't clearand freestyles. So I flipped it around. The undertone of that message is that there's a lot of issues I'm talking about, a lot of things I talkabout.

A: So it's more serious than your other tapes?
Wale
: It is. And that's the funny thing about it. The title is the Mixtape About Nothing, and, you know, it's more aboutsomething. When you hear it, you'll figure it out.

A: I heard you're using Seinfeld as a theme for it. Will people who don't know much about Seinfeld still beable to appreciate it?
Wale: They're going to like it because of the lyrical excellence that I exercise on it.

A: When you say you're talking about "something", do you mean local issues, or…?
Wale
: You'll see. There's a lot of things that I'm talking about, but you'll get it. Immediately.

A: What's the release date looking like on that project?
Wale: March. Mid-to-late March.

A: Any final thoughts?
Wale
: Look out for the Mixtape About Nothing, keep supporting me, and you know…D.C., Maryland, and Virginia!

For more information about Wale, check out his myspace or elitaste.com. You can also catch him live on February 28th with Pete Rock, Torae, and Kid Cudi atthe Highline Ballroom in New York City. Don't sleep. And I also just got word that the official video of W.A.L.E.D.A.N.C.E. will be premiering onMTV2 and MTVU. Don't want to wait that long? Check out this post onElitaste for some preview clips of the video. I must say, it looks
hot

Originally Posted by jluvinjs

Wale
:[color= rgb(0, 255, 0)]there's the trendsetting, tastemaker Wale[/color] that's the one that's more exposed.

A: But with a mindstate like that, how do you react when people compare you to artists like Lupe Fiasco? "[color= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Wale is the next Lupe,"[/color]

A: Do you think that's bad though? There's just this separation within the area.
Wale
: It's segregation. It's like School Daze all over again. But I don't care. It's all good. Like I said, most of my team grew up in D.C. and we just migrated. Everybody migrates. 90% of us won't live there in the next ten years anyway.

A: I heard you're using Seinfeld as a theme for it. Will people who don't know much about Seinfeld still be able to appreciate it?
Wale: They're going to like it because of the lyrical excellence that I exercise on it.

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
to whoever is putting him on Lupe's level
roll.gif
Like50 "I run NY" LOL all the way from CT?
indifferent.gif
Lets not get cocky. LOL

Is Lupe REALLY on that high of a level? Perhaps I'm missing something.
And if Lil' Wayne (who has ZERO talent) can talk himself up in interviews then as far as I'm concerned ANYONE can (especially someone like Walewho's going to break out on an even larger scale, it's just a matter of time).

A: One of the largest critiques that you get from people is that you rep D.C. but you're from PG County. What's up with that?It's like the area isn't unified.
Wale\
: [Laughs] If they got something to say, that's great. I mean I lived in D.C. for ten years, I lived in PG County for thirteen. So I mean,you know, sue me. I've done more shows in D.C. than I have in PG. You know, a lot of my family is still in D.C., most of my team is from D.C. It's justlike when you go to Europe and you be like "Well I live in Largo. I live in Landover," they're gonna be like "huh?". So you're like"OK, D.C.".

It's a pretty obvious reason to me,of course some people would like to treat musicians as if they were a local sports team
laugh.gif

Regardless of what level you put Lupe on you cant honestly put Wale on the same or higher.

Lil Wayne is a damn fool. All I'm saying is have something to back you up before you become too confident/cocky. I mean Wale has put out some stuff but notenough to get his Kanye cocky/arrogance on. "They're going to like it because of the lyrical excellence that I exercise on it."Big words like Lyrical EXCELLENCE, need to be backed up.

Let the music speak for itself if the confidence level is soo High.

Same reason I don't like Floyd Mayweather Jr. If he didnt talk so much and simply let the hands do the talking, he would get a lot more respect.

BTW De La Hoya has him next time around.

Originally Posted by The Badgeman

A: One of the largest critiques that you get from people is that you rep D.C. but you're from PG County. What's up with that? It's like the area isn't unified.
Wale\
: [Laughs] If they got something to say, that's great. I mean I lived in D.C. for ten years, I lived in PG County for thirteen. So I mean, you know, sue me. I've done more shows in D.C. than I have in PG. You know, a lot of my family is still in D.C., most of my team is from D.C. It's just like when you go to Europe and you be like "Well I live in Largo. I live in Landover," they're gonna be like "huh?". So you're like "OK, D.C.".

It's a pretty obvious reason to me, of course some people would like to treat musicians as if they were a local sports team
laugh.gif

I know people that do this and have never lived in DC. I just say im from the "DC Area." Im not wit saying DMV cause i've never lived inVA. But i lived most my life in DC and now i reside in PG

Originally Posted by 731balla

Regardless of what level you put Lupe on you cant honestly put Wale on the same or higher.

Lil Wayne is a damn fool. All I'm saying is have something to back you up before you become too confident/cocky. I mean Wale has put out some stuff but not enough to get his Kanye cocky/arrogance on. "They're going to like it because of the lyrical excellence that I exercise on it." Big words like Lyrical EXCELLENCE, need to be backed up.

Let the music speak for itself if the confidence level is soo High.

Same reason I don't like Floyd Mayweather Jr. If he didnt talk so much and simply let the hands do the talking, he would get a lot more respect.

BTW De La Hoya has him next time around.

I'm with you on letting ones music or art speak for themselves, I was just bringing up the fact that the reason a lot of people (the ones who can'tthink for themselves or who apparently don't have functioning ears or both) think that Lil' Wayne is some hip hop saviour is because he constantly sayshe is in interviews, not because his music elevates him to that status.

Man, Pharrell already know. Pusha T? Look out for the record. I got a crazy, crazy, joint I did with two people. One is from Texas, one from Virginia. It's crazy. Crazy!

pimp.gif

Please tell me it ain't Bun and Push? That's two of my favorite dudes spittin right now.

Y'all shoe dudes only holla when its something to benefit YOU

otherway around dude. you hit me up when you wanted to do the same event we did in DC for everyday pple. but then again, maybe not, because you ARE an O.G.originator puppet master please....

i hit you just to say "holla homie"; i dont need anything from you in reality lol.

but thats what [YOU] always assume eh?

I don't know about anyone else but before I can call up EOH on the phone he requests that I fax him a notarized letter stating that my intentions ofcalling him are not in any way related to acquiring new kicks but simply to catch up with him by inquiring about his current life happenings.

I get home from a informal Levtan meeting and see this on a Friday evening?????

WooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooW!

Ian,

You are officially a clown jo.

Nothing more. Nothing less. A clown.

I copied my myspace message I sent to you TO LAVAN at that time, just in case you pulled the "event we did" talk.

You are VERY lucky myspace automatically deletes messages, or I would copy and paste the joint right here to "Clemens" you duke.

Y'all half truth dudes -- and I'm a keep exposing beach n'.

The point of contacting you was for you to support Lavan. The point of the event was to support Lavan and get him his $$$.

And YOU know that. But months later, you flip it.

WooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooW!

So again, come online talking big. And in reality, play that devil avatar.

My point was NOT to get at fam. My point was to expose your bragging and let you know, you gotta see me.

You are pathetic to, even after the stunt you pulled today, LIE (yes, LIE) ON HERE about the reason I contacted you about something how many months agonow?!?!?!?

Oh

My

GOD.

I'm truly done.

Go back and forth on here, but go crying like a baby in reality like a kid who got his lunch money taken.

One thing I DON'T do is lie. I'm strong with my opinions I admit, but I NEVER lie.

Why am I shocked right now? lol.

And "badgeman," you're an trip! lol.

WoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooW!

Originally Posted by The Badgeman

I don't know about anyone else but before I can call up EOH on the phone he requests that I fax him a notarized letter stating that my intentions of calling him are not in any way related to acquiring new kicks but simply to catch up with him by inquiring about his current life happenings.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

GOTDAMN. Kev, Is this what I came into? Man, O like Switzerland in this Mofo. This is about to turn into a !!!*@!$# exposing. Honestly, I don't even wantto entertain some of you all's shenannigans.

Kev, Fall back dog. Fall back. You're going to end up feeling like Okwonkwo in "Things Fall Apart".

This thread really has run it's course. Time for a new discussion. Copisce?

Originally Posted by RStansbury

Soooooo.......did we ever get pictures of the sneakers at the Grammys?

laugh.gif

Real talk.

The dude never even said/showed what he wore.

smh.gif

My-T.

I literally laughed out loud at Badgeman's post. lol

I bet Kev got a list in his pocket like Omar on The Wire (watch Sunday for those that don't have On Demand and don't know what I'm talking bout).

Next DAR, I'm gonna dress like Judge Hatchett. Cuz we need some order and understanding 'round here. I EXPECT GREAT THINGS!!!

Back
Top Bottom