So INCEPTION is One of the BEST Movies I have ever seen... Vol. Christopher "The Man" Nolan

Originally Posted by IncredibleEv

B) how is there no gravity in the hotel while the van's falling, but gravity's all fine and dandy in the snow level which is all happening at the same time?

I think with this part the snow was falling more and the whole land was getting shaky and bad to run around, so in its own way it was its own movement in that level like the no gravity in the hotel. I think its similar to when Dom was first in and he got dunked in the water and the water was coming through the building.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Originally Posted by Drunken Cow

Dont know if this was asked already or not but,

Why werent they floating/getting tossed around in the third stage, whenever in the second stage, everything was getting tossed around/floating, whenever in the first stage, the car was swerving and tumbling down the hill.
That's a really good point. It seemed like it would only affect the dreamer who was having the dream. In the street level, they all went into the point man's dream and he was flailing around in the van. But in the hotel level, they were in the forger's dream and his body was pretty calm for most of it. The hotel level lost it's gravity, but it wasn't like their bodies were slamming against the walls there. Maybe the effect is only felt one dream deep. I mean the avalanche happened when the van hit the guard rail going off the bridge, so some force did come through.
I agree with you. I think its only felt 1 stage in. Becuase when you go 2 or more levels in, its just the subconcious of the person you are going into. The Architect builds the 1 and 2nd stage and the 3rd stage was the Mark's subconcious "bank" or "jail" of secrets. just it turned out to be a FREAKING FORTRESS!!

Why werent they floating/getting tossed around in the third stage, whenever in the second stage, everything was getting tossed around/floating, whenever in the first stage, the car was swerving and tumbling down the hill.
That's a really good point. It seemed like it would only affect the dreamer who was having the dream. In the street level, they all went into the point man's dream and he was flailing around in the van. But in the hotel level, they were in the forger's dream and his body was pretty calm for most of it. The hotel level lost it's gravity, but it wasn't like their bodies were slamming against the walls there. Maybe the effect is only felt one dream deep. I mean the avalanche happened when the van hit the guard rail going off the bridge, so some force did come through.
I agree with you. I think its only felt 1 stage in. Becuase when you go 2 or more levels in, its just the subconcious of the person you are going into. The Architect builds the 1 and 2nd stage and the 3rd stage was the Mark's subconcious "bank" or "jail" of secrets. just it turned out to be a FREAKING FORTRESS!!

Originally Posted by omgitswes

saw the film twice this weekend, and I loved it. I'm hesitant to say I loved it though because I'm just not sure I did. Certainly one of my top 5 of the year so far, but I'm just not ready to say #1. I love Nolan's visual style and the score was incredible as expected. Acting was good overall, but all the exposition in the dialogue (especially in the first half and ESPECIALLY with Ellen Page's character Ariadne) took me out of it for a little in the beginning. The third act is really fantastic.

The film is definitely flawed, and I can easily say The Dark Knight is the better film of the 2. My 2 biggest beefs plot-wise are:

A) how do Cobb and Ariadne get to limbo from the snow level if they didn't die? They clearly said you get to limbo when you die in a dream but you're too sedated to come out of the dream. Maybe this was explained in the thread and someone could give a real quick explanation. I see how Cobb got there from dying in the van (to save Saito, opening sequence), but i'm confused how they got there from the snow.

B) how is there no gravity in the hotel while the van's falling, but gravity's all fine and dandy in the snow level which is all happening at the same time?

Part of me is just happy this film exists. A sci-fi heist film with dudes in fresh suits and slick hair where the heist is placing something in someone's mind instead of stealing something. and its an original story with a high-budget out of hollywood. dope

They went and shared Fisher's "dream" after Mal killed him to get to limbo I think?

Im pretty sure they went into limbo because it is the 4th and deepest level of dreaming.  Also I think the reason the effects of the hotel level didn't reach the snow level is because it was 2 levels down. The way i see it the 4th level aka limbo is so deep nothing from the outside can even be felt down there so its probably like being in a coma..

saw the film twice this weekend, and I loved it. I'm hesitant to say I loved it though because I'm just not sure I did. Certainly one of my top 5 of the year so far, but I'm just not ready to say #1. I love Nolan's visual style and the score was incredible as expected. Acting was good overall, but all the exposition in the dialogue (especially in the first half and ESPECIALLY with Ellen Page's character Ariadne) took me out of it for a little in the beginning. The third act is really fantastic.

The film is definitely flawed, and I can easily say The Dark Knight is the better film of the 2. My 2 biggest beefs plot-wise are:

A) how do Cobb and Ariadne get to limbo from the snow level if they didn't die? They clearly said you get to limbo when you die in a dream but you're too sedated to come out of the dream. Maybe this was explained in the thread and someone could give a real quick explanation. I see how Cobb got there from dying in the van (to save Saito, opening sequence), but i'm confused how they got there from the snow.

Part of me is just happy this film exists. A sci-fi heist film with dudes in fresh suits and slick hair where the heist is placing something in someone's mind instead of stealing something. and its an original story with a high-budget out of hollywood. dope

They went and shared Fisher's "dream" after Mal killed him to get to limbo I think?

Im pretty sure they went into limbo because it is the 4th and deepest level of dreaming.  Also I think the reason the effects of the hotel level didn't reach the snow level is because it was 2 levels down. The way i see it the 4th level aka limbo is so deep nothing from the outside can even be felt down there so its probably like being in a coma..

Originally Posted by Icecixz

I thought on the plane, they all went into the chemist's dream. That's why he was the van driver. Then in the van, they all went into the point man's dream, so he stayed behind in the hotel. Then in the hotel room, they all went into the forger's dream. That's why it was his job to blow up the base of the fortress. Each person was responsible for getting everyone out of their dream. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Icecixz

I thought on the plane, they all went into the chemist's dream. That's why he was the van driver. Then in the van, they all went into the point man's dream, so he stayed behind in the hotel. Then in the hotel room, they all went into the forger's dream. That's why it was his job to blow up the base of the fortress. Each person was responsible for getting everyone out of their dream. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

Yeah it is the fourth, but how they got there they linked up with Fisher after he was killed so they could go get him from Limbo. I'm not even sure I'm just saying how I think it went down. Def want to see this again

and Limbo was falling apart too due to the fact that the MW2 level fell apart, so what I think they did in Limbo instead of using that fall as a kick Ariadne killed Fisher by knocking him off the porch and then jumping herself to get out of Limbo....oh wait nvm the charges Eames set was the kick to get them back from Limbo so they just went off the porch so they couldn't miss it

actually what dude said above me kind of clears why she kicked up off the porch, because if they were linked off to Fisher, then him falling would of been their kick. She just followed and Cobb missed that kick that's why he stayed behind

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

Yeah it is the fourth, but how they got there they linked up with Fisher after he was killed so they could go get him from Limbo. I'm not even sure I'm just saying how I think it went down. Def want to see this again

and Limbo was falling apart too due to the fact that the MW2 level fell apart, so what I think they did in Limbo instead of using that fall as a kick Ariadne killed Fisher by knocking him off the porch and then jumping herself to get out of Limbo....oh wait nvm the charges Eames set was the kick to get them back from Limbo so they just went off the porch so they couldn't miss it

actually what dude said above me kind of clears why she kicked up off the porch, because if they were linked off to Fisher, then him falling would of been their kick. She just followed and Cobb missed that kick that's why he stayed behind

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by UnbornSeed

First...anyone who needs to tell people they're intelligent are in fact, not. Calling Nolan pretentious? Sounds like you're just mad that you're too fickle to follow a movie.

Everyone wants everything spoon fed to them...the best thing about this movie and all great movies and works of art is the ability to introduce discussion. When you look at a painting, everyone sees something different...this movie leaves you wanting to see something different. It's just not whether if he's in a dream or if he's in reality...the movie offered so many other things...there was an awesome love plot between cobb and mal, an equally beautiful relationship building between Gordon and Page. The masterpiece hallway fight.

The movie was great. if you disagree then you're simply a moron. If you can't appreciate a work of art then go watch a spoof.

FYI, watched it twice and it gets better every viewing.
Calling someone a moron is just as unintelligent as claiming your intelligence. And what on earth makes Gordon and Page's relationship beautiful? The fact that he stole a kiss from her? There was too little development between the two characters to have a beautiful relationship building between the two of them.

And the more I think about this movie, the more I come to realize that the COD scene hurt the movie more than it helped.  The action and everything regarding the fortress was forced.

I agree about the COD snow scene. It could be because I caught the midnight premiere and was exhausted, but the abrupt camera shifts during all the action was unecessary. It came to a point where unless it was a close up of the character I couldn't tell who was who.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Originally Posted by UnbornSeed

First...anyone who needs to tell people they're intelligent are in fact, not. Calling Nolan pretentious? Sounds like you're just mad that you're too fickle to follow a movie.

Everyone wants everything spoon fed to them...the best thing about this movie and all great movies and works of art is the ability to introduce discussion. When you look at a painting, everyone sees something different...this movie leaves you wanting to see something different. It's just not whether if he's in a dream or if he's in reality...the movie offered so many other things...there was an awesome love plot between cobb and mal, an equally beautiful relationship building between Gordon and Page. The masterpiece hallway fight.

The movie was great. if you disagree then you're simply a moron. If you can't appreciate a work of art then go watch a spoof.

FYI, watched it twice and it gets better every viewing.
Calling someone a moron is just as unintelligent as claiming your intelligence. And what on earth makes Gordon and Page's relationship beautiful? The fact that he stole a kiss from her? There was too little development between the two characters to have a beautiful relationship building between the two of them.

And the more I think about this movie, the more I come to realize that the COD scene hurt the movie more than it helped.  The action and everything regarding the fortress was forced.

I agree about the COD snow scene. It could be because I caught the midnight premiere and was exhausted, but the abrupt camera shifts during all the action was unecessary. It came to a point where unless it was a close up of the character I couldn't tell who was who.

The final scene shows Cobb spinning his totem to test reality. I thought the totem was wobbling and about to fall right before the movie ended. Do you guys think Cobb was stuck in limbo?

The final scene shows Cobb spinning his totem to test reality. I thought the totem was wobbling and about to fall right before the movie ended. Do you guys think Cobb was stuck in limbo?

Loved it, what I come to expect from Nolan. Found the concept and ideas were original and interesting, well acted, kept me interested the whole time. Wasn't perfect, could have had better character development, was never really surprised at much (although that probably wasn't the intention) and a few other things. All in all I enjoyed it and definitely want to watch it again.

Loved it, what I come to expect from Nolan. Found the concept and ideas were original and interesting, well acted, kept me interested the whole time. Wasn't perfect, could have had better character development, was never really surprised at much (although that probably wasn't the intention) and a few other things. All in all I enjoyed it and definitely want to watch it again.

I loved the movie. The end just made me more confused but I think I have a grip on the concept though. The soundtrack is amazing by the way.

I loved the movie. The end just made me more confused but I think I have a grip on the concept though. The soundtrack is amazing by the way.

I think my biggest issue with the movie might be Saito in the first half. They had Ken Watanabe say a lot of dialogue that was important to understanding the last half, and he wasn't the most articulate choice they could've made.

The first half completely kept my interest, because of how hyped I been since last year and knowing all the info would probably be real important. But some people I went with...practically fell asleep/had to get explained why they kept showing that van falling over and over again.

Once they filled in the gaps, the movie was really interesting to them. I guess I wish they could've made the world outside of the dreams more...compelling? I dunno. 
Best movie of the decade so far. 
pimp.gif

I think my biggest issue with the movie might be Saito in the first half. They had Ken Watanabe say a lot of dialogue that was important to understanding the last half, and he wasn't the most articulate choice they could've made.

The first half completely kept my interest, because of how hyped I been since last year and knowing all the info would probably be real important. But some people I went with...practically fell asleep/had to get explained why they kept showing that van falling over and over again.

Once they filled in the gaps, the movie was really interesting to them. I guess I wish they could've made the world outside of the dreams more...compelling? I dunno. 
Best movie of the decade so far. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by scribble253

It would be wise to read the last 17 1/2 pages
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by scribble253

It would be wise to read the last 17 1/2 pages
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom