Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There are things I don’t just like about this movie but LOVE. Snoke throne room, simply amazing. The simplicity yet the loud but subtle nuance of red. Snoke as a character period. He was so bad. Talking **** to all his subordinates. Straight punking Kylo, telling him to take off his mask. My favorite, the meta dialogue and scenes. Kylo staring at Snoke’s body just as surprised as “we” the viewers are on some “I might have just ruined the trilogy” type **** :lol: and then proceeds to explain the whole purpose of all these uncharacteristic events that have been taking place all film and saying we’re tryna kill it (the expectations) is the reason. He calls the resistance the rebels and tells Rey after they both admit that she is nobody that she has no place in OUR STORY. Last but not least was the Yoda scene. Even though he looked like he burned a few trees before he appeared to Luke the scene had a magic feel to it. The fact that it was puppet Yoda was the source. It brought an innocence out of me. It was the only time Luke was actually Luke the whole film even, still questioning but learning and being humbled and optimistic about it all. Felt like I was watching ESB and Sesame Street. It’s the reason I always loved Yoda. I’ve always loved the muppets, though Frank Oz is getting a little long in the tooth. His voice was more Ms. Piggy than Yoda.

There is good in the film, I don’t want the thread to be all negatives. It’s just hard when the negatives are more glaring than the positives. As much as I hate this film I can def admit the cool points

Last edited:
Snoke's death did make me chuckle.

It was one of the best "Fool's wildin thinking they doing it" moments :lol:

Famb literally gave play by play of his own death.

I'm 50/50 on the Yoda puppet; I understand why they did it and it did evoke a sense of "classic" whimsy that I appreciated, but by the same token it was so obviously a puppet and therefore out of place on an IMAX feature with cutting edge CGI to me.

They couldn't have touched him up a little bit in terms of animation?

From that rooster teeth article someone posted:

After all the condemnation this same group threw at JJ Abrams' The Force Awakens for feeling too familiar you'd imagine they'd be overjoyed to see a movie that defies expectation, but you'd be wrong.

Why is it that the immediate defense for something many people find to be supbar is to attack the group in question and make a generalizing strawman argument regarding this group's alleged collective opinion about something else?

Yeah I wasn't a big fan of how VII leaned heavily on parallels to IV. Does this somehow preclude me from disliking the decisions made in the writing of this new one?

Last edited:
I enjoyed the film, but a lot of these complaints are valid, it was messy fun. I'm a space opera fan in general though, and there's always a certain bit of messy and absurd you have to accept to enjoy them.

Was it me or did they also mess with Kylo Rens helmet and how it transmitted his voice....sounded so bad. Was this another jab at how he needed to let the past die.

I'm sorry but "messy but cool" is not my qualifying benchmark for the alleged Star Wars Renaissance we are living in today

Originals weren't "messy but cool", TFA was "derivative but forgivable", and Rouge One was "****ing incredible"

Fair enough.
Was it me or did they also mess with Kylo Rens helmet and how it transmitted his voice....sounded so bad. Was this another jab at how he needed to let the past die.

Yeah it sounded intentionally worse.

I watched TFA last week to refresh myself before watching TLJ. His voice was modulated with the mask on, especially in the opening scene raiding the village on Jakku. They may have exaggerated the effect a little bit to make a point in the scene where Snoke makes him take it off, but it was pretty close to at least parts of TFA.

Movie was aight. Should’ve been a lot better. Really wanted Luke Da Gawd to decapitate that professor snape looking beta boy. He was basically a crazy old man for the majority of the movie. snope ended up looking weak as hell. At least his red costumed body guards fought. WTH was up with Leia floating in space? Why did Laura Dern have to stay and fly the ship? They didn’t have a spare droid or auto-pilot? They had us thinking rey was into beastiaility but then the beast reminds her he’s a scumbag. She forgot about fin real quick when she saw Poe. Barely did anything with Phasma again, wanted her in the next movie too. That redheaded empire officer keeps getting sonned. Has me wondering if he somehow finds a way to kill professor snape boy next movie. Movie was trying real hard to be a comedy.

Then that is on Disney.

Maybe if Abrams did all three things would be more coherent. Maybe if Rian did both they would be better. But we will never know.

Now we have two good movies, both flawed, but that don't work well as a unit.

I am sure Rian own trilogy will not have these issues, they will probably be lit, but the fact remains he knew he was making a sequel, and he said **** it. And that decision created issues

And if Abrams says **** it too, then this whole trilogy suffers.

Agreed 100% with what you said. If Abrams was going with a rehash/re-purpose motif for 'his' trilogy then Disney should've given him time to continue his vision and have all the sequels follow the template of the OT. If he's made some mistakes let him correct it in the sequels.

You can try to imagine LOTR or The Hobbit with different directors and you'd have a similar mess as this. Perhaps even the Nolan Batman films with different directors for each film.

I feel like the new issue now is that I can't imagine the direction the trilogy goes in its final installment.

Several doors were slammed shut and a few were opened, but I don't think the characters we're left with are strong enough to carry this saga into a satisfying climax and conclusion.

It's like killing Cap, IM and Thanos before Infinity War releases and leaving Falcon and Vision to face off against maybe Loki and Proxima Midnight.

Now that JJ is helming IX I'm extra worried. It was clear that Johnson has his own vision for what is to occur and Disney should have just let him see it through.

Now I fear we have to deal with a disjointed trilogy that might suffer from severe mood-whiplash.

Here's a hindsight solution: do all this "bold new direction" stuff at the end of EPISODE NINE instead of VIII since we know that Johnson will be helming his own trilogy anyway.

Let that be the lead-in into the Ren and Rey-dominated Galaxy once these characters have actually, you know, earned that position in the narrative.

For the record I have no issue with Rey's parentage - honestly given the context of her life on Jakku in TFA, this was a perfectly acceptable reveal. We weren't entitled to Rey being some magical superchild or scion of one of the established heroes.

I just got done watching this.

And since were on a sneaker board let me make a comparison.....if you remember when the bulls were at their peak....WGN would play all of their games....this film to me...felt like watching the bulls at their peak against the worst team in the NBA. You know it's going to suck at certain times , but there are a few moments where you were like "I'm glad I tuned in".

My biggest gripe however is how people say this diminished Luke Skywalkers character....i disagree because...

In empire......when Luke found yoda.....yoda basically acted like an old man...non interested...corny guy. ....
Yoda in the prequels was NOT like Yoda in empire. SAME thing with Luke.
Rey went to a planet where a lost Jedi was hiding because of his failures. The way luke is acting is the SAME way Yoda would have acted. That part where like was tickling her hand....yoda would have done THE SAME THING.

When George Lucas said this film was beautifully made...he was right.
Imo....that was a slight shot. What is he supposed to say????? That's what ANYONE would say because it's true.

I wish I didn't look at the spoilers. That shot where the ship hit snokes in light speed. That was epic....even with a spoiler...that was amazing.

That moment right before Rey and Kaylo took on the guards...great.....lukes silhouette against the at ats.....amazing.

Rogue 1....the force awakens....i saw them and I was good....but I am looking forward to seeing this again.

It's most definitely NOT what I wanted.

But it's enough to make me want more

I didn’t know so many people loved rogue one because I wasn’t online during it’s time. Wish I was to see what everyone had to say. I also have to rewatch it because I forgot where it fits into the timeline.

I just got done watching this.

And since were on a sneaker board let me make a comparison.....if you remember when the bulls were at their peak....WGN would play all of their games....this film to me...felt like watching the bulls at their peak against the worst team in the NBA. You know it's going to suck at certain times , but there are a few moments where you were like "I'm glad I tuned in".

My biggest gripe however is how people say this diminished Luke Skywalkers character....i disagree because...

In empire......when Luke found yoda.....yoda basically acted like an old man...non interested...corny guy. ....
Yoda in the prequels was NOT like Yoda in empire. SAME thing with Luke.
Rey went to a planet where a lost Jedi was hiding because of his failures. The way luke is acting is the SAME way Yoda would have acted. That part where like was tickling her hand....yoda would have done THE SAME THING.

When George Lucas said this film was beautifully made...he was right.
Imo....that was a slight shot. What is he supposed to say????? That's what ANYONE would say because it's true.

I wish I didn't look at the spoilers. That shot where the ship hit snokes in light speed. That was epic....even with a spoiler...that was amazing.

That moment right before Rey and Kaylo took on the guards...great.....lukes silhouette against the at ats.....amazing.

Rogue 1....the force awakens....i saw them and I was good....but I am looking forward to seeing this again.

It's most definitely NOT what I wanted.

But it's enough to make me want more
Thats fine with Luke not wanting to train after his whole village and all his trainees were killed. Most are upset with the fact that Luke Skywalker would stand over his nephew or even think about killing him without even trying to save him

Last edited:
Thats fine with Luke not wanting to train after his whole village and all his trainees were killed. Most are upset with the fact that Luke Skywalker would over his nephew or even think a out killing him without even trying to save him

The triple flashback was soooooo bad lol.

The 3rd act alone is worth watching this on the big screen.

I don't compare any of these to th originals....but this wasn't BAD. like it wasn't 1 or a half stars.

I REALLY wish I didn't look at any spoilers.

The cinemotagrophy in this film is amazing

I didn't care to watch rouge 1 or the force awakens again in the theatre....but I would like to see this again.

Back
Top Bottom