Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't compare any of these to th originals....but this wasn't BAD. like it wasn't 1 or a half stars.

It's not a 0.5 or 1 star film, but it isn't the 4.5 star film that the 'top critics' were making it to be. It's a decent 3 to 3.5 stars.

Finally saw it. It was different and I didn't love it for a lot of the reasons discussed already BUT I didn't hate it either. I feel like we need to see the next one and depending on how good that one is, it could really make us appreciate TLJ. They needed to take this to a new direction to distance themselves from the old trilogies and it was risky but it was probably a necessary move for down the road.

Hard to believe there is only one more film to close everything out though...especially since the way TLJ ended feels like a new beginning for both The Resistance and First Order. TFA may have just been the bridge to connect and now it feels like we are really starting the new trilogy.

Again as a casual star wars fan first 2 acts of this movie were hard for me. But after reading the people in here who like the movie it makes more sense to me.
Whoever said Finn is now playing that female support role... Yikes you're right.... But it doesn't come off nearly as charming as a female who would play that role. I still say his one liners were cringe worthy. He's a better actor than that it's a shame.

I still have those questions I typed earlier but I don't know how to go back to my old post on here with the new niketalk

What's your perspective on this?

@18:00 - 19:49

Based on the way everybody's acting in here, the world would crack. They wouldn't be able to handle it. Pure ape ****. Not even joking, even if they nailed the delivery, and this is the how and why, and Carrie Fisher was still alive, etc, that part of the fanbase would go insane. :lol:

The IDEA of it.......iono, I love the EU too much, and I liked the way they portrayed both Luke and Leia and how powerful both were, but it was always clear, Luke was the one. I even liked when he got pissed that Anakin came to speak to Leia, and not him. Luke was so pissed. :lol:

Again as a casual star wars fan first 2 acts of this movie were hard for me. But after reading the people in here who like the movie it makes more sense to me.
Whoever said Finn is now playing that female support role... Yikes you're right.... But it doesn't come off nearly as charming as a female who would play that role. I still say his one liners were cringe worthy. He's a better actor than that it's a shame.

I still have those questions I typed earlier but I don't know how to go back to my old post on here with the new niketalk

Wasting both Boyega and Isaacs to give some characters (created to please feminists) screen time. :smh:

Wasting both Boyega and Isaacs to give some characters (created to please feminists) screen time. :smh:

men have had the run of sc fi since basically it's inception, I think it's pretty reasonable for star wars to throw them a few bones. :lol:

As black guy (and a nigerian) it's tough to see my son Boyega get done dirty like this, but I must say... to see the way young girls react to Rey's character, to see how my nephew who's a girl is so into sci fi now because of rey, I think it's super super dope.

So I think it pleases more than jut "feminists"

that's what tessa thompson bae was for in Thor...
BLACK GIRL MAGIC

all we need is Riri, to join in avengers 4

"feminists" sure get dudes riled up for no reason.

You know the type. Giving out zero star reviews while complaining about "feminists" and "SJWs" every time there's a leading woman,minority, or LGBT character.

I mean this movie is prettty @#$@ to me but it has nothing to do with casting. The plot is just stupid as hell to me :lol: Definitely not "I WISH I COULD GIVE THIS ZERO STARS" bad though; let's save that for movies like Transformers

No real reason to wear a helmet or one that distorts his voice except that he’s a fanboy of his grandad who was also an emo bish.

Thanks dude. This is random but when Kylo destroyed his mask, tell me why i was wishing he would recreated Vader’s and go ham.

I thought thats what he was doing. I thought he was gonna put it back on after smashing it a couple times to look like Vader's and go wild

and Hopefully the next trilogy they can throw black women a few bones, because Lupita was also done dirty.

Can't let them hit us with the okie doke.

In this reboot they've made the only black character a selfish but semi well-meaning foolish idiot. A clown.

Finn is Jar-Jar Binks sans costume and a larger role.

They not giving black women or black people **** in the next film unless it's demeaning.

Other than that the new movie was highly enjoyable.

5. John Boyega is basically playing the typical sci fi female role.
They did my man dirty in TFA, and it continues in TLJ. He basically is the female role, he exists merely as a plot device to move the story forawrd, his actions, wants/desires have no actual impact on the story and his character has basically no redeeming qualities and has no recognizable character traits besides overwhelming cowardice. Him and Rose have no romantic chemistry, and the kiss at the end was cringe inducing. John Boyega is so charming that he's tricking people into this character isn't an abject failure but it actually is.

Was going back through some of the previous pages and saw that you already touched on Finn/John Boyega character.

I share your viewpoint on all ten points you made but I'm curious what you think of what I perceived to be some of the more nefarious interactions and aspects of Finn's character in the TLJ since you seem very knowledgeable and invested in the films.

Things like him getting ***** slapped while on his knees by a Nazi after being a caught "fugitive" or his getting tazed with his hands up in surrender, contrasted by another supporting character being similarly tazed only after drawing his weapon on a commanding officer.

Of course I realize these scenes are intended to be funny, Finn is a pointless jester after all (that's a separate charge), but do you think any aspects of his character or script are built in deliberately with less than artistic motives?

Back
Top Bottom