Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Every movie has its flaws. Every single one.

But you can mask those flaws if you're character development and storytelling are on point - far from it in TLJ. If you start noticing how stupid and under developed characters you start to notice everything.

/End Rant again for now.
I feel like Kylo and Rey's character are now beyond what they were in TFA. I would agree with you on the side characters though,
they need to find that fluidity throughout the trilogy and really make us care about their individual arcs. I feel like they rushed the FinnPhasma
fight, they shoe horned it in. Poe, to me is being developed well.

The more I think about it, the more I feel cheated at that 3rd act scene with Luke. Someone brought it up here (I think), but it felt like Iron Man 3 all over again. That bait and switch made me hate IM3. And i'm starting to feel the same way with TLJ

The more I think about it, the more I feel cheated at that 3rd act scene with Luke. Someone brought it up here (I think), but it felt like Iron Man 3 all over again. That bait and switch made me hate IM3. And i'm starting to feel the same way with TLJ

Yeah it was bad...

Actually putting Luke on Crait wouldn’t have changed the end result of the film one bit...In fact having him there doing some seriously hardcore stuff might’ve actually redeemed his terrible character choices displayed up until that point in the film...I’m not positive it would’ve saved the film but it certainly wouldn’t have hurt...

How is it bait and switch? It was Luke. Using his superhuman powers.

Think about it, who else in the galaxy can do what he did. Absolutely no one. If anything,
he just solidified his place in terms of Force powers. Dude transported himself several
lightspeed jumps away. Think about the magnitude of what he did, set aside your own
idea of how he SHOULD have battled Kylo and see the immense Force flex he did. If that
still leaves you feeling cheated, I can still see why you would. Again, films are all subjective. :smile:

If you're mad we didn't get an actual Luke fight scene, I get it. But like I mentioned before,
it will take away from Rey's importance and will be another Luke movie(which it already
almost is).

Think about it, who else in the galaxy can do what he did. Absolutely no one. If anything,
he just solidified his place in terms of Force powers. Dude transported himself several
lightspeed jumps away. Think about the magnitude of what he did, set aside your own
idea of how he SHOULD have battled Kylo and see the immense Force flex he did. If that
still leaves you feeling cheated, I can still see why you would. Again, films are all subjective. :smile:

If you're mad we didn't get an actual Luke fight scene, I get it. But like I mentioned before,
it will take away from Rey's importance and will be another Luke movie(which it already
almost is).

AOTC wasn't a Yoda movie and he got a lightsaber scene. ANH wasn't a Kenobi movie and he got a lightsaber scene. Hell, Rogue One wasn't a Vader movie and he had one of the best scenes in all of SW movies, ever. It wouldn't have been unprecedented.

True. Like I mentioned though, he did something greater. I see your point for sure, I NEEDED THAT FIGHT SCENE.
But when they revealed Luke chilling by the rock, it blew my mind how powerful he is. End of the day, still gonna be
a subjective thing. Clearly a lot of things weren't received well.

Even if Luke saw VADER in him? Or saw some type of dark future?
Luke learning from the past might've pushed him to THINK about it.

This is just where the disappointment sets in. There is nothing there for me to believe why Luke might resort to murder. Even in the presence of Sidious he refused temptation, to ME thats strong evidence that Luke is strong-willed and optimistic under every circumstance (the man throws his lightsaber at Sidious' feet talm about he will NEVER fall to the dark side). So, for Luke to make the brash decision to murder his nephew stemming from...what exactly?

If Rian had just showed us a few clips, maybe Luke's waning hope and optimism as a Jedi master (maybe he had a few apprentices croak during training), I might find the attempted murder scene more believable. Can't stress enough that im just disappointed with how things were executed in this film. There are GREAT ideas in this film but just lack so much substance.

Reactions: ARK
They gave Luke ptsd, it seemed like the fear of what he went through with his pops scarred him, and seeing Kylie being super strong or whatever brought out the fear of seeing it happen again. They should have done a little more of showing the softening of his heart by Rey, but that seems like a typical movie thing.

The whole over shadowing Rey excuse is lame. Nobody asked Disney to put the OT3 in this new trilogy. You make your first film about finding Luke Skywalker. You name your second film after Luke Skywalker.

Guess who we all want to see? Not ******* Mary Sue *** Rey

almost is).

Rian Johnson already said this was Luke’s movie though...But that’s not the point...

Not going to re-hash my Luke posts from a couple days ago but, looking at it subjectively, writing Luke with his established character at the forefront of this film would’ve drastically changed the end result...It would’ve also changed how both Rey and Kylo are currently being viewed in this franchise...For better or worse is solely up to the viewer...

So, what could happen going forward? Poe becomes the leader of the Resistance? Or Finn (Hopefully Rose dies)? Rey sacrifices herself to defeat Kylo? Maybe Kylo defeats the Resistance and First Order take over the galaxy which spills into Rian's trilogy? BB-8 takes command of a First Order Destroyer and crashes it into a planet or into another Destroyer and becomes a martyr? Che inspired BB-8 t-shirts become all the rage in the galaxy? At this point, I'm half expecting BB-8 to wield a lightsaber and fight Kylo himself.

This is just where the disappointment sets in. There is nothing there for me to believe why Luke might resort to murder. Even in the presence of Sidious he refused temptation, to ME thats strong evidence that Luke is strong-willed and optimistic under every circumstance (the man throws his lightsaber at Sidious' feet talm about he will NEVER fall to the dark side). So, for Luke to make the brash decision to murder his nephew stemming from...what exactly?

If Rian had just showed us a few clips, maybe Luke's waning hope and optimism as a Jedi master (maybe he had a few apprentices croak during training), I might find the attempted murder scene more believable. Can't stress enough that im just disappointed with how things were executed in this film. There are GREAT ideas in this film but just lack so much substance.
Well said. I see your point completely.

lightspeed jumps away. Think about the magnitude of what he did

Not taking sides, just adding to the convo but isn't it just about the same as the force connection between Kylo and Rey? They had Kylo shirtless to prove that Rey isn't just hearing him but could also see him. Yes it was with help from Snoke but doesn't that just make Snoke seem more uber powerful and then died just like that?

To me, it makes it less impressive that Luke could do it when Snoke did it effortlessly between two people.

And also the point of Kylo being shirtless, I get what they were trying to do with how they want to show that they could see each other but it still seemed unnecessary since later on you see them touching each other in Reys hut so it was practically a projection since Luke could see him as well. Felt like the whole scenario of Kylo being shirtless was to hone in a quick joke in there.

...just thinking out loud here...

I guess I'm just sad that a lot of fans are disappointed in the film. While I enjoyed 80% of it, I understand
where you guys are coming from. The good news is, we all still have the original trilogy and you can download
the unedited versions and enjoy them in their true form.

So, what could happen going forward?

This movie basically just X-Men DOFP'd the Star Wars franchise. Like for better or for worse, JJ pretty much has a clean slate to work with and if he uses TLJ as a template, he can do whatever the hell he wants and just ignore anything that happened prior:lol:

Kylo finds a Sith artifact that he can travel through time with and actually impregnates Shmi with Sith Semen and Anakin's born. Obviously, that's hyperbole but I'm just saying. JJ pretty much has as clean of a plate as anyone's ever had since 1977.

Luke Skywalker’s father dies fulfilling a prophecy and tossing the embodiment of the darkside down a shaft while being electrocuted

Luke Skywalker’s master dies in a lightsaber dual that had 19-20 years of history built behind it by his darksided pupil

His master’s master dies fighting a double bladed sith

Luke Skywalker dies....on a rock all alone from mental exhaustion.

:smh:

Luke was booked strong here, I thought. Used Instant Transmission x After Image combo technique and Tien'd himself cause it was such a power draining move.

I think they'll rebuild Snoke's body on some Freiza stuff and Luke will be like King Kai to Yoda's Elder kai.

Son Rey will master the power pole and get lasers on it. Perfect Kylo will fight Prince Finngeta and kill him, which will turn Son Rey Super Jedi 2 (she'll get a bang) and they'll beam struggle at the end.

Then they have a tournament to find the strongest and a strange force is felt arriving...

This movie basically just X-Men DOFP'd the Star Wars franchise. Like for better or for worse, JJ pretty much has a clean slate to work with and if he uses TLJ as a template, he can do whatever the hell he wants and just ignore anything that happened prior:lol:

Kylo finds a Sith artifact that he can travel through time with and actually impregnates Shmi with Sith Semen and Anakin's born. Obviously, that's hyperbole but I'm just saying. JJ pretty much has as clean of a plate as anyone's ever had since 1977.

Could have Admiral Holdo accidentally discover time travel when she went ahead with the light speed kamikaze! :lol: Can't have SW's first LGBTQ character go out like that without making some type of huge contribution to the franchise.

On a more serious note, what was the point of having Phasma's mask 'crack open' partly to reveal her blue eye? Was there some significance to that scene?

If Luke had truly shown up on the planet and been taken down, people would have compared that to Ben in ANH. We'd be repeating scenes again. And people would ***** and whine, like they are now.

This time, we saw a Jedi Master do something we've never seen any other Master do.

And frankly, using an old Mark Hamill to fight a young Kylo Ren would have looked as terrible as having Alec Guiness fight in slow motion with Darth Vader in 77.

archerfilmfestival-web-img_4330_-_h_2017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom