Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So blame JJ for putting him on the island. Rian gave Luke a hero's ending. He gave so much depth to his character. What Luke storyline would have satisfied you? Honestly?

After sitting in this for a week now and having it seriously bug the **** outta me, I've come to peace with the decision they made for Luke. I just wish they told that story better.

But to answer your question, he abandoned the Jedi way and I'm much more interested in seeing a lot more of how that happened than seeing a Resistance ship run out of fuel in space.

Luke says he seen Ben caving into the darkness or what not (sorry I've only seen it once). Show me that. Show me how the great Luke Skywalker gives up on his beliefs, that **** is much more interesting than the side plots of TLJ and that should not have been 10 second flashbacks.

After sitting in this for a week now and having it seriously bug the **** outta me, I've come to peace with the decision they made for Luke. I just wish they told that story better.

But to answer your question, he abandoned the Jedi way and I'm much more interested in seeing a lot more of how that happened than seeing a Resistance ship run out of fuel in space.

Luke says he seen Ben caving into the darkness or what not (sorry I've only seen it once). Show me that. Show me how the great Luke Skywalker gives up on his beliefs, that **** is much more interesting than the side plots of TLJ and that should not have been 10 second flashbacks.

So I go back to what I said earlier. Where was this criticism from people during TFA? Because JJ made the decision to put him in the Island. What you're asking for, is a prequel of TFA right? Your dislike for this movie is misdirected. You're problems aren't with TLJ, they're with the direction of the new trilogy as a whole then.

Watched it again tonight. I'm convinced Ben killed Luke now. I was telling you guys about the water scene between Ben and Rey, when he saw the water on his hand. The second time I saw this movie, the first time Ben and Rey interacted through their minds, she shot a blaster at him and he felt it despite not being there. The blaster shot just stunned him but did not hurt him at all. When Ben stabbed Luke through the chest is what killed him. I noticed he was grabbing at his stomach too, when he was crawling on the mountain before he died.

So I go back to what I said earlier. Where was this criticism from people during TFA? Because JJ made the decision to put him in the Island. What you're asking for, is a prequel of TFA right? Your dislike for this movie is misdirected. You're problems aren't with TLJ, they're with the direction of the new trilogy as a whole then.

I didn't think of it as wanting a prequel to TFA, but I suppose your right. But after leaving TFA, I didn't have any of these mixed feelings or anything about Han, Leia, Chewy, R2D2 or 3PO.

So what is it about Luke in TLJ that wasn't accomplished that felt more complete with the other OG characters in TFA?

Idk if I can "blame" anyone person. I'm not trying to point fingers, as a whole these movies are made collectively by a large number of people. I'm not sure but I'd like to think that these trilogies were thoroughly thought out by a lot of well educated film makers and JJ wasn't the only primary decision maker in putting Luke on an island.

I didn't think of it as wanting a prequel to TFA, but I suppose your right. But after leaving TFA, I didn't have any of these mixed feelings or anything about Han, Leia, Chewy, R2D2 or 3PO.

So what is it about Luke in TLJ that wasn't accomplished that felt more complete with the other OG characters in TFA?

Idk if I can "blame" anyone person. I'm not trying to point fingers, as a whole these movies are made collectively by a large number of people. I'm not sure but I'd like to think that these trilogies were thoroughly thought out by a lot of well educated film makers and JJ wasn't the only primary decision maker in putting Luke on an island.

Make no mistake JJ made the decision to put him on the island. These directors pretty much get the green light to make the movies they want, which is why this movie feels different than TFA. You can definitely tell it’s a different director. Even though Lucasfilm has a story group, from everything that’s been said in interviews and what what we know, the movies really aren’t planned out. JJ left the decision about Rey’s parents to Rian, he’s said so multiple times.

Episode 9 just got pitched by JJ to Iger. They are somewhat going from director to director as far as writing these movies are concerned and that’s something I have an issue with.

Watched it again tonight. I'm convinced Ben killed Luke now. I was telling you guys about the water scene between Ben and Rey, when he saw the water on his hand. The second time I saw this movie, the first time Ben and Rey interacted through their minds, she shot a blaster at him and he felt it despite not being there. The blaster shot just stunned him but did not hurt him at all. When Ben stabbed Luke through the chest is what killed him. I noticed he was grabbing at his stomach too, when he was crawling on the mountain before he died.

giphy.gif

I don’t have any proof, but imma just say that Luke’s force projection doesn’t have the same effects as Rey and Kylos force connection.

Also, Kylo wasn’t actually stunned by Rey’s blaster shot. He was just shocked at what was happening and instinctively flinched when he saw rey firing. He doesn’t realize rey is not actually there till afterwards when he tries to force pull rey to him.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I don’t have any proof, but imma just say that Luke’s force projection doesn’t have the same effects as Rey and Kylos force connection.

Also, Kylo wasn’t actually stunned by Rey’s blaster shot. He was just shocked at what was happening and instinctively flinched when he saw rey firing. He doesn’t realize rey is not actually there till afterwards when he tries to force pull rey to him.

I think it does, because that was the same place he sat Rey down, when he had her close her eyes to feel The Force. Pretty sure it was the same place when he connected to Leia for the first time when she was out of it in the care center. I think the blaster shot did stun him rather than startle him.

Again with the Kylo killed Luke's Pac hologram? If that's the case, Luke was toast from that barrage of fire the First Order hit him with. Kylo hints that Force projection would kill Rey when they first Forcetime. That's unfortunately what killed Luke and that's probably why Kylo mentions it to Rey.

Again with the Kylo killed Luke's Pac hologram? If that's the case, Luke was toast from that barrage of fire the First Order hit him with. Kylo hints that Force projection would kill Rey when they first Forcetime. That's unfortunately what killed Luke and that's probably why Kylo mentions it to Rey.

The blaster shot had no effect on Kylo when Rey shot him, so the First Order barrage may have not have affected him because it was blaster shot. Also, when Yoda told Luke to pass on what he has learned and that would make him a true Master. I think that was Luke's "Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine" moment when he was talking to Kylo.

Yeah but Chewie blasted Kylo, injured him and made him bleed. Or does that not count cause it isn't Rian Canon? Lightsaber, blasters, they all cause damage. But they don't have any affect on Force projections.

Yeah but Chewie blasted Kylo, injured him and made him bleed. Or does that not count cause it isn't Rian Canon?

That was eye to eye physical combat. Not through mind games. Rey was getting doused by water, but Kylo only had a couple drops on his fingers. They don't feel the full effect through the mind, only in person. But Kylo cut him in half and stabbed him in the chest with lightsaber.

No. The difference is that people want to watch this movie like it’s the ****ing Fast and the Furoius franchise and dont bother to use their damn heads.

You do realize that’s how the majority of the critics of the movie feel about the defenders about it in here right

I love the emotional *** "you guys don't know what you ******* want" and "you just don't understand the cinematic depth of this masterpiece" posts

Y'all in y'all feelings because people aren't in love with the movie

You like seeing Luke contemplate murdering his angry teen nephew after having proven the fallacy of such behavior during the redemption of his father?

You like seeing Luke say **** it and run away, letting the First Order mouth-**** the galaxy, while he still has living family fighting the good fight or just plain trying to not get murdered by their psyhotic children?

I don't know it seems reasonable to me that time an trauma would lead him to peace out, and given the history of the Jedi and how much they **** up, it doesn't seem unreasonable to me that he might conclude that they don't need the jedi and if he cut himself off form the force, he doesn't even know whats happening with the first order.

You like seeing Luke's only major contribution to this decade-long conflict be an (admittedly wicked) instance of astral projection?

Seems reasonble, his x wing was trashed right, so it's not like he had any means to make it to the battle, so force projection was his only option.

You like seeing Luke not lead the life and play the role that the prequels and OT explicitly established for him? It's a lazy dismissal of Luke Skywalker's essence and character to just deflate and throw him away for dramatic PTSD reasons.

my memory of luke is that he was always kinda whiny and prone to give up on ****. It doesn't seem crazy to me that he would suffer a trauma that would cause him to retreat. :lol:

I thought mark hammil performance was great, and making him the reluctant teacher is more interesting thematic choice than him just being jedi master coming to save the day luke.

Breathe.

Just Breathe.

If we want to really get serious about what we've scene in the Star Wars theatrical saga, we've NEVER seen the Jedi, as an order really be Jedi-like.

We started the saga with two Jedi remaining in the galaxy because of their failures.

Then we watch another trilogy about how they failed in large part due to them NOT being Jedi-like and abandoning what it truly means to be Jedi.

We've never SEEN theatrically how the Jedi order are truly supposed to be. The prequels had a **** load of complaints but one was NEVER "They were not Jedi-like" when which is exactly led to their demise as seen in the films.

Luke thought about doing EXACTLY WHAT MACE WINDU WAS GOING TO DO TO PALPATINE YET PEOPLE NEVER *****ED ABOUT MACE NOT BEING JEDI-LIKE. YET LUKE DIDNT GIVE IN TO HIS DARK SIDE URGES THE WAY MACE WAS CLEARLY GOING TO DO YET LUKE IS THE ONE THAT'S NOT JEDI-LIKE?

LUKE EMBODIED WHAT THE JEDI ARE SUPPOSED TO REPRESENT IN THIS MOVIE.

You guys are LITERALLY ignoring everything Yoda said in this movie.

I swear people just ***** because they refuse to think about anything with any kind of depth. You guys don't know what you ****ing want.

No. The difference is that people want to watch this movie like it’s the ****ing Fast and the Furoius franchise and dont bother to use their damn heads. These movies are meant for you to think. These movies are rich with religion, politics, mythology, mysticism, which require you to take a step back and think about the characters and the decisions they’re making while taking into consideration the saga as a whole. If somebody comes out of this movie and starts rambling about Luke raping his nephew in that scene shows me they haven’t used ONE GOD DAMN BRAIN CELL in trying to understand anything in this movie. If you truly think Luke wasn’t ultimately being Jedi like then the whole saga has gone over your head.

Pretty sure Mace came with other members of the Jedi and once he realized how dangerous Palpatine was for the thing he had been doing for YEARS then he was ready to take his life. Luke never showed any wisdom in this film. He was more immature at 50 something than he was at 19, 22, 23 y/o. Luke Skywalker saw good in a mass murderer but couldn’t see good in his nephew to want to redeem him? Your whole thing is that you think it’s reasonable for Luke to be a failure. I think absolutely not, especially if it’s last film amongst the living. The fact that we see Luke Skywalker die in itself is ridiculous. And then the whole “raping” thing you’re not even understanding what the movie is portraying or what I’m saying about the scene. It has child molestation over tones. You’re in here beating your chest talking about how people need to accept the places this film went but then when I present to you something that challenges your thought process now you wanna be like “muh Luke isn’t a chester the molester, nope!” Look at how dark Rian Johnson’s other films are and you’ll realize what I’m saying. It doesn’t matter anyway. The Luke in TLJ isn’t the real Luke Skywalker. The real Luke Skywalker is still in George Lucas’ notes for his sequel trilogy.

Pretty sure Mace came with other members of the Jedi and once he realized how dangerous Palpatine was for the thing he had been doing for YEARS then he was ready to take his life. Luke never showed any wisdom in this film. He was more immature at 50 something than he was at 19, 22, 23 y/o. Luke Skywalker saw good in a mass murderer but couldn’t see good in his nephew to want to redeem him? Your whole thing is that you think it’s reasonable for Luke to be a failure. I think absolutely not, especially if it’s last film amongst the living. The fact that we see Luke Skywalker die in itself is ridiculous. And then the whole “raping” thing you’re not even understanding what the movie is portraying or what I’m saying about the scene. It has child molestation over tones. You’re in here beating your chest talking about how people need to accept the places this film went but then when I present to you something that challenges your thought process now you wanna be like “muh Luke isn’t a chester the molester, nope!” Look at how dark Rian Johnson’s other films are and you’ll realize what I’m saying. It doesn’t matter anyway. The Luke in TLJ isn’t the real Luke Skywalker. The real Luke Skywalker is still in George Lucas’ notes for his sequel trilogy.

#NotMyLukeSkywalker

I love the emotional *** "you guys don't know what you ****ing want" and "you just don't understand the cinematic depth of this masterpiece" posts

Y'all in y'all feelings because people aren't in love with the movie

“masterpiece”? They must be trolling.

TLJ was the laziest possible handling of the legacy of one of the greatest blockbuster film franchises of all time. The film does not live up to those that come before it, including the force awakens.

"The fact that we see Luke Skywalker die in itself is ridiculous."

-When they announced the Sequel Trilogy and then when Han Solo died in TFA, you seriously didn't think Luke and Leia would probably pass in the next two movies?
-A lot of the things you are questioning or want to see would have been before TFA. Hopefully books and later movies might bring those events to light.

"Luke never showed any wisdom in this film."

-Finally coming out of seclusion is redemption in itself. Dude effed up, lost his way, and came back to confront Reality. Saved Hope.
Sounds like A Hero's Journey into Legend.

So you wanted a better more dramatic Death? Then say so. I've already said the Sequels are different from what I would have preferred. Never got used to the fact that TLJ was immediately set right after TFA (which I really didn't like cause of the rehash).

Back
Top Bottom