Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I saw the original trilogy when i was a kid in the 80's, didn't watch the prequels or episode 7 until this year after i caught the bug watching rogue one. Needless to say, I'm not a fanboy by any means. So it doesn't bother me as much as some about Luke's portrayal or Rey's parents being nobodies and the extinction of the Jedi or whatever. There were 2 scenes to me that were completely inexcusable in this film.

1. Leia flying through space was a tragedy of epic proportions. Has any other character in the history of Star Wars flown in outer space ever? It was by far the most bewildered I've ever been watching a movie.
2. Why wasn't Poe told about the plans of escape to the old rebel base? There is literally no logical explanation for this. So many lives sacrificed for no reason, no explanation given as to why that info was withheld.

I've been reading everyone's comments for the past week, and not one of the explanations has made sense. I don't see how a group of A-level story writers could have allowed either these things to make it to the final movie. I didn't hate the movie, it was highly entertaining, but I still left with a disappointed feeling because of those missteps.

How does Leia of all people show the most impressive display of the force in all the films. No training, no background on training, no hint that she’s been trained. You just have to go with it. So Leia did more with the force than Jedi Master Luke Skywalker in a film named after him. :smh:

Flying through space > being a living force ghost

I'm fine with Leia saving herself. Skywalker blood strong with the force ect. I'll allow it.

Nah, assuming the force is something like an electromagnetic field or subatomic energy .... There is still no explanation for overcoming lack of oxygen or flying. Force chokes still work and other than high level users like Sideous...no one outchea floating those kind of distances in a vaccuum. They can barely overcome gravity to pick up a tv remote across the room without training.

I saw the original trilogy when i was a kid in the 80's, didn't watch the prequels or episode 7 until this year after i caught the bug watching rogue one. Needless to say, I'm not a fanboy by any means. So it doesn't bother me as much as some about Luke's portrayal or Rey's parents being nobodies and the extinction of the Jedi or whatever. There were 2 scenes to me that were completely inexcusable in this film.

1. Leia flying through space was a tragedy of epic proportions. Has any other character in the history of Star Wars flown in outer space ever? It was by far the most bewildered I've ever been watching a movie.
2. Why wasn't Poe told about the plans of escape to the old rebel base? There is literally no logical explanation for this. So many lives sacrificed for no reason, no explanation given as to why that info was withheld.

I've been reading everyone's comments for the past week, and not one of the explanations has made sense. I don't see how a group of A-level story writers could have allowed either these things to make it to the final movie. I didn't hate the movie, it was highly entertaining, but I still left with a disappointed feeling because of those missteps.

Your second gripe is utterly ridiculous in my mind. The whole "the new admiral sucks let's find a codebreaker" plotline was literally just a device to create drama, conflict, and "character development" for one of the protagonists. And it's written in the dumbest way possible and at the expense of numerous in-universe lives.

I ******* hate Poe Dameron now as opposed to in TFA, where I thought he was a cool kinda old school movie hero archetype. Now he's just a buffoon with no leadership skills who kills hundreds of his comrades with his blatant and poorly-written stupidity. Who gets rewarded with a leadership position at the very end, where his actions have directly caused the annihilation of his comrades. And at the larger level so it can give us a rushed, deflating end to Luke Skywalker's character due to the subsequent "we're trapped and gonna die" status of the Resistance.

Gah! The more I think about the plot of this film the ****tier it gets! They made Poe into an idiot and wrote in an unnecessarily secretive vice-admiral so they could kill Luke Skywalker in an artificial and avoidable showdown!

This **** was trash!

The saga continues headass

74A3DF75-8C54-451B-B9FC-647CA04DEDE0.jpeg

Arguably the two most powerful characters in SW cinematic canon

And we, the paying audience, don't even get to see them swing their laser swords at anything!

What? WHAT? :rofl::rofl:

REYLO DOE

Nah, assuming the force is something like an electromagnetic field or subatomic energy .... There is still no explanation for overcoming lack of oxygen or flying. Force chokes still work and other than high level users like Sideous...no one outchea floating those kind of distances in a vaccuum. They can barely overcome gravity to pick up a tv remote across the room without training.

Star wars isn't hard sci fi...it's always been basically fantasy in space. Holding anything in star wars to this level of scrutiny will make it fall apart. :lol:

I get what you're saying but you're complaint is unreasonable. :lol:

They add new force powers in every movie. Basically. Force lighting appeared in jedi with no explanation. Not seeing it before doesn't mean it can't happen.

Skywalker blood is strong with the force, im good with it.

Stahp son.

You know damn well that well-written fantasies will establish semi-permeable boundaries with regards to what does and does not conform to the fantastical context of the narrative.

You mix the fact that they totally ignored this with the disregard for other, less genre-specific conventions of storytelling and you get booty plot.

Stahp son.

You know damn well that well-written fantasies will establish semi-permeable boundaries with regards to what does and does not conform to the fantastical context of the narrative.

You mix the fact that they totally ignored this in addition to other, less genre-specific conventions of storytelling and you get booty plot.
Not really in stars wars they add new force **** with every movie.

The force is in the long tradition of hazy ill defined power sources. Power cosmic, the source, the force..ect

It’s so egregious with the ho hum explanations. Palpatine was an evil entity we knew nothing about so if he starts doing weird **** like force lightning, who are we to question it in 1983?

Leia however, has been with audiences for years and never displayed any force ability to that magnitude. If she is doing something that would make her damn near omnipotent, we need a better explanation than “her daddy is the chosen one, Skywalker skills”. Luke is the son of the chosen one, why didn’t he create a flying Ferrari mentally and get to Crait fast enough? There’s rules to this stuff, y’all tryna downplay all of this now that Rian Johnson has ruined it.

Check this, if snoke was breathing and flying through space, we couldn’t question it :rolleyes

You can question it if you want.

All I know is we've been beat over the head about how powerful the Skywalker blood is when it comes to the force. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that the sister of a legendary Jedi might be able to do some powerful force ****.

But ymmv my guy.

No. The difference is that people want to watch this movie like it’s the ****ing Fast and the Furoius franchise and dont bother to use their damn heads.
When did this start with SW movies?

Cuz I think you just made this up in order to criticize it :lol:

You can understand the choices made for this movie and still dislike them, still feel disappointed, and still not agree with them.

The you don't understand the depth of the movie is yet another cop out. Save that **** for lames. Especially if you're using that argument and ignoring the other inconsistencies that they chose to introduce.

Moving in zero g and preventing yourself from dying like 40 seconds is really so crazy?

i'm with you. given some of the stuff we've seen in the series...not nearly out of the realm of possibility.

was it maybe a lazy/cheesy way to show she has abilities with the force? sure, i can buy that.

thanos appearing in episode ix and erasing the events of vii and viii would be appreciated.

You can question it if you want.

All I know is we've been beat over the head about how powerful the Skywalker blood is when it comes to the force. It doesn't seem unreasonable to me that the sister of a legendary Jedi might be able to do some powerful force ****.

But ymmv my guy.

The potential shouldn’t be that overbearing without training. All you need is one line saying Leia trained with Luke and the scene becomes less questionable. But like with everything in this film there’s no explanation. **** just happens with no type of proper reasoning.

thanos appearing in episode ix and erasing the events of vii and viii would be appreciated.

I was hoping that episode 9 ends with the scene from RotJ, the celebration on Endor and Luke was daydreaming this whole ST. He hands Han and Leia a box of condoms and then the credits role.

Back
Top Bottom