Star Wars Universe Thread: May The 4th Be With You

Did you like The Last Jedi?

• Yes

Votes: 68 71.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 28.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
opinions are like a55holes....everybody's got one. its just that some people act like bigger a55holes when it comes to their opinions either in an aggressive manner or even worse in a passive aggressive manner.

we should just agree to disagree when it comes to this movie. like most things in life, your first opinion of the whatever it is you're evaluating tends to have the most staying power. if you watched this movie and thought it was good/bad, okay/underwhelming, ecstatic/disappointing...etc whatever that feeling was, there's going to be a lot of inertia when it comes to that initial feeling. everyone is going to have an opinion. what bugs me is people trying to shove their opinion down other people throats when someone disagrees with them.

opinions are like a55holes....everybody's got one. its just that some people act like bigger a55holes when it comes to their opinions either in an aggressive manner or even worse in a passive aggressive manner.

we should just agree to disagree when it comes to this movie. like most things in life, your first opinion of the whatever it is you're evaluating tends to have the most staying power. if you watched this movie and thought it was good/bad, okay/underwhelming, ecstatic/disappointing...etc whatever that feeling was, there's going to be a lot of inertia when it comes to that initial feeling. everyone is going to have an opinion. what bugs me is people trying to shove their opinion down other people throats when someone disagrees with them.
is this your first foray into the online world of messageboards?

It’s Star Wars it’s always going to be that way. Some people despise the prequels some people like them. Personally I’m 34 I don’t mind them. Are they better then The OT no but I do put ROTS as #2 out of all 8. Do I hate the TLJ? No it’s good I’ve said but it’s a terrible sequel I think TFA is better overall movie. It’s all good it’s just conversations. Btw stuntman I like the walking dead.

it's a forum...for voicing your opinion and defending it. agreeing or disagreeing with folks is fun at the end of the day. it's why we're here :lol:

The story of this film and the way it was executed I think can be argued amongst critics and die hard fans and casual fans forever. I think time may be good to that. But the little things I think will never be lost....those things piss me off the most.....the VERY BEGINNING scene for example...when Poe calls in to hux and makes that joke...that type of humor does not belong in a star wars film.

To me there is no argument there...but maybe that's the adult me....im sure a kid might have found that funny.

You can HAVE humor. But not that kind.

Going in I refused to believe people thought this was trash until I saw THAT scene followed by Leia in space.

That scene happened and my friend asked me if they force was allowed to do that and I just said "Its Space Magic."

So basically saying you have no comeback. Love how you’re using Palpatine stuff cause we know Kylo or snoke don’t have any good ones.
bruh. I just gave you 2 paragraphs. what are you even saying man.
You're clearly just a hater stomping your feet because you didn't get that orgasmic lightsaber on lightsaber duel.
You know why? Because all you've been doing is trolling even as I LAY DOWN MY THOUGHTS. Your responses
have been essentially nothing. I think it's time for me to tighten my cape.

The story of this film and the way it was executed I think can be argued amongst critics and die hard fans and casual fans forever. I think time may be good to that. But the little things I think will never be lost....those things piss me off the most.....the VERY BEGINNING scene for example...when Poe calls in to hux and makes that joke...that type of humor does not belong in a star wars film.

To me there is no argument there...but maybe that's the adult me....im sure a kid might have found that funny.

Going in I refused to believe people thought this was trash until I saw THAT scene followed by Leia in space.
Was there a specific joke or are you talking about the entire exchange?

stuntman mike stuntman mike Playboy's been here since '05. A seasoned vet compared to about 80% of this forum. :lol:
A "seasoned vet"... with 244 posts and 13 likes. So someone liked one of his posts every 361 days, on average. Not sure you can call that "seasoned"...

I'm relatively new, myself, so no hate, but you're propping him up, so I had to bring it up.

Alright, back to the thread topic...

I thought the scene fit, because it's almost exactly what Poe did in 7 with the do I talk, or do you talk? to Kylo.

It's who Poe is. Daring, brash, stupid, but humorous, just without the natural humor Harrison Ford had. I get that "humor" shouldn't be forefront in Star Wars films, but it always has been there, some of it forced, some of it natural, some of it just blind luck, whatever. Leia asking Han while the Falcon was falling apart, "would it help if I got out and pushed?" Obi Wan telling young Anakin, "you're going to be the death of me" Even Rogue One, which was very serious, had plenty of good humor in it. As long as they don't go too over the top, a joke here or there isn't the worst thing. IMO.

I thought the scene fit, because it's almost exactly what Poe did in 7
ahh that scene! the audience loved that scene where i was at and it was almost all adults. i thought it was ok for that movie. if something like that was in rogue one, it would have been out of place but not for poe in this case.

There has been a lot of talk about the now infamous scene in Rian Johnson's The Last Jedi in which Adam Driver appears shirtless as Kylo Ren when he and Rey are communicating through the Force. The image pops up out of nowhere and many are wondering why it was included in the first place, but as with everything in Rian Johnson's vision of Star Wars, there is a reason for it. Many assumed that it was a throwback scene to when Anakin Skywalker was seen half naked in the prequels, but that is not the case. There are minor SPOILERS for The Last Jedi, so read ahead at your own risk.

The explanation of the shirtless scene when Kylo Ren and Reyare ForceTiming starts with the practical effects that Rian Johnson wanted to utilize instead of some CGI magic. The Last Jedi co-sound supervisor Ren Klyce talked about how Johnson's lack of VFX influenced the scene. He had this to say.

"The way in which (director Rian Johnson) decided to create the Force connection by just simply doing vertical cuts without using any CG... it's pure simplicity in terms of filmmaking with visual cuts. We cut to her side; we cut to Kylo Ren; we cut to her; and back and forth."
And as for the shirtless scene? Basically, the sound supervisor explained that Kylo appears sans shirt in order to show that Rey could see him while the two were Force-connected.

"That was important to establish what she was actually seeing. Was she hearing his voice or seeing his face or just his eyes? And so that [shirtless scene] is to inform the audience, 'Oh, she can see his body.'"
The Last Jedi editor Bob Ducsay further explained the Force connection topless scene, reiterating that it was intended to be handled "as if they were in the same room together, even though they're not." Kylo was shirtless to show what Rey could see during the Force connection. There might have been a bit of humor added to the mix as well. Ducsay explains.

"Over the course of those sequences, you come to understand all the rules of the Force connection. Ultimately, it's just good storytelling if the audience is learning things the same time the characters they're following are, instead of ahead or behind."
As for Rian Johnson, he claims that the scene was put in to add a bit of an uncomfortable intimacy feeling, but also adding that it was "fun." There is a line of comedy going throughout The Last Jedi, which is welcomed by some and not welcomed by others. However, the scene does work in the way that Johnson intended. The director had this to say.

"At the premiere I heard somebody in the balcony say, "Yesssss!" You can see Adam was training hardcore throughout the whole process. It's fun but it also has a specific purpose, which is the increasing feeling of uncomfortable intimacy. That was sticking with the theme of trying to give Rey the hardest thing you could possibly give her, which would be unavoidable intimate conversation with this person that she wants to just hate. This was just one more way of upping that ante."

It's been out for a week.......it's already ~280 million or so depending on how much was made last night and so far today.

#Juggernaut

Back
Top Bottom