Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

DLs and Squats are officially my favorite thing to do.

As for "The Murph".. it sounds hardcore and I'm intrigued by it at the same time. I might have to give it a try sometime during spring break.

I used to be against squats and thought deadlifting was useless.

These two are now my favorite workouts.

Originally Posted by gatorad3

Originally Posted by ScoopEm

how many of you deadlift? i swear i'm the only one i see in my gym doing it week in and week out... it's the best muscle building exercise yet people neglect it. makes no sense to me
Right Herrre. I used to think that too but then I started going to the gym at different times and there's other people in my gym that do it too. This one guy helped me with some tips. So far me, a handful of people, and the personal trainers in the gym know about deadlifts. I just did DL's yesterday 2nd time doing 225 and most of my body is feelin sore today
pimp.gif
best feeling in the world a day after workout.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

We should start posting workouts that guarantee this. lol

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

1RM order is what i expected but the 80% threw me for a loop

i guess it kinda makes sense though?
laugh.gif
a little?

honestly though back squats feel harder than front squats to me because i can throw more weight on them......i'm assuming these guys are competition lifters and so they only go to parallel? but then i guess they'd do that for front squats too so i don't know

I think the study used 80% of 1RM because because that;s what's done most often day in and day out. 1RM max comes about as a result of steady progress inthe 80%-9% 1RM area. There may be a different reason altogether but this is what makes the most sense to me.

Only powerlifters train to strictly paralle (on the backsquat) and up. Mostly because that's as far as the rules states that they should go and theirsuits wouldn't allow them to go any deeper anyways.

You can lift more weight on the backsquat than the front squat and that's precisely why front squats expend more energy pound for pound.

I need some help here...

It seems my bench press is being limited by my right shoulder. It really hurts once I start benching at the 80% range or so, and this applies for flat,inclined AND decline bench presses.

For chest I usually start off with 4 working sets of flat bench (10, 10, 8, 6) then do 3 sets of 10 incline bench then 3 sets of 10 decline bench. I usuallyfinish up with a couple of flat flys.

I alternate which bench press I do the 4 working sets of each week, i.e. flat one, then incline the next, etc. etc.

My problem is that my bench isn't limited by my chest at all, rather by my right shoulder.

When I workout shoulders (military press, lateral raises, upright rows, etc.) I feel no pain.

I'm gonna give it a week, lay off the shoulders and try to hit the bench again next monday... if it still hurts should I go see a doctor?

Any tips on getting over this?

(sorry I know this is a lot of information, and it's not terribly well organized)

Originally Posted by Yan Can Cook

any places to buy fish oil pills? or should i just get some from gnc?

Any grocery store... You would be shooting yourself in the foot buying Fish Oil Caps from GNC, so overpriced.
sick.gif

Anybody ever try Tabata sprints?? I'm gonna start doing these tomorrow and I'm interested what kind of results people have seen...

Im goin start working out again. As my New Year reseloution to myself.

Does anyone have any good Fat Burning workout plans? Linksto websites? Advice? That have worked for u fellow NTers...

Itd be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Originally Posted by OwensStr8Clownin

Can anyone recomend some good protein or nutrient powders to take? or some reviews on some? Im trying to gain strength .
ON 100% Whey is the BEST imo...

I been going to the gym everyday for about a week. Im 6' 1 and 205 lb. Im really not that big but my stomach is just huuge. I been runnin on the treadmillfor 1 hour(around 5 miles) and doing a little bit of weights. Im looking to get to around 180. What is the best way to loose that 25 lbs? and should I take anysupplements? any advice would be appreciated.

Originally Posted by AQPHAME

I been going to the gym everyday for about a week. Im 6' 1 and 205 lb. Im really not that big but my stomach is just huuge. I been runnin on the treadmill for 1 hour(around 5 miles) and doing a little bit of weights. Im looking to get to around 180. What is the best way to loose that 25 lbs? and should I take any supplements? any advice would be appreciated.

Weights, HIIT, a good diet

Originally Posted by PlatinumFunk

I need some help here...

It seems my bench press is being limited by my right shoulder. It really hurts once I start benching at the 80% range or so, and this applies for flat, inclined AND decline bench presses.

For chest I usually start off with 4 working sets of flat bench (10, 10, 8, 6) then do 3 sets of 10 incline bench then 3 sets of 10 decline bench. I usually finish up with a couple of flat flys.

I alternate which bench press I do the 4 working sets of each week, i.e. flat one, then incline the next, etc. etc.

My problem is that my bench isn't limited by my chest at all, rather by my right shoulder.

When I workout shoulders (military press, lateral raises, upright rows, etc.) I feel no pain.

I'm gonna give it a week, lay off the shoulders and try to hit the bench again next monday... if it still hurts should I go see a doctor?

Any tips on getting over this?

(sorry I know this is a lot of information, and it's not terribly well organized)
It's most likely rotator cuff tendinitis (shoulder bursitis) . Lay off the barbell and work with dumbbells for 6-8 weeks. It may either bethe barbell (any variation) that's producing the problems for you or specifically the incline/ flat/ decline variation.

How far do you space your hands on the barbell?

For striclty losing the winter weight, going to the gym strictly for cardio (and diet of course) is the best route. No weight lifting at all, anything

I tend to get extremely lazy after I do my weight lifting routine, I usually do a quick warmup then hit the weights. Im either too tired or just wanna leavethe gym after, but tif I do cardio before ill be too tired to get a good workout.

For the guy asking about the protein thing... I take
41De1r23KLL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Muscle Gauge Nutrition (MGN) whey protein isolate. I think someone recommended it in the last version of this thread. Its also priced pretty goodtoo at this website: http://www.muscleandstren...gauge-protein-blend.html
-About losing that winter weight I think the combination of lifting weights and cardio is much better than just doing strictly cardio.

Originally Posted by XkrispyELI

bodybuliding.com is a good website for cardio, diet, and lifting.
Ehhh.

For striclty losing the winter weight, going to the gym strictly for cardio (and diet of course) is the best route. No weight lifting at all, anything

Excuse me?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

laugh.gif
a little?

honestly though back squats feel harder than front squats to me because i can throw more weight on them......i'm assuming these guys are competition lifters and so they only go to parallel? but then i guess they'd do that for front squats too so i don't know

I think the study used 80% of 1RM because because that;s what's done most often day in and day out. 1RM max comes about as a result of steady progress in the 80%-9% 1RM area. There may be a different reason altogether but this is what makes the most sense to me.

Only powerlifters train to strictly paralle (on the backsquat) and up. Mostly because that's as far as the rules states that they should go and their suits wouldn't allow them to go any deeper anyways.

You can lift more weight on the backsquat than the front squat and that's precisely why front squats expend more energy pound for pound.
yeah but its based off of 1RM and 80% of 1RM. if they were doing equal weight on the front and back squats that would make sense, but theydon't. i'm confused.

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

I tend to get extremely lazy after I do my weight lifting routine, I usually do a quick warmup then hit the weights. Im either too tired or just wanna leave the gym after, but tif I do cardio before ill be too tired to get a good workout.

Weight lifting burns a lot more calories than cardio and is much more effective for losing fat than steady state cardio is.

Im dieting for a week now, its been going great, but ill be going on a small vacation this week for a few days with a bunch of friends. How do you guys adaptto drinking and eating out and stuff. I just think its going to be tough because everyone is going to want to drink 24/7 and eat out.

Originally Posted by doctorshoes

I tend to get extremely lazy after I do my weight lifting routine, I usually do a quick warmup then hit the weights. Im either too tired or just wanna leave the gym after, but tif I do cardio before ill be too tired to get a good workout.

Weight lifting burns a lot more calories than cardio and is much more effective for losing fat than steady state cardio is.
plus you will retain more of your muscle mass and strength. i'm cutting right now, zero cardio for me.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by doctorshoes

how does it burn a lot m ore calories? or is it just compared to steady state cardio?

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

laugh.gif
a little?

I think the study used 80% of 1RM because because that;s what's done most often day in and day out. 1RM max comes about as a result of steady progress in the 80%-9% 1RM area. There may be a different reason altogether but this is what makes the most sense to me.

Only powerlifters train to strictly paralle (on the backsquat) and up. Mostly because that's as far as the rules states that they should go and their suits wouldn't allow them to go any deeper anyways.

yeah but its based off of 1RM and 80% of 1RM. if they were doing equal weight on the front and back squats that would make sense, but they don't. i'm confused.
The first table used 80% of 1RM to calculate the relative energy expenditure for every exercise exceptfor the pulls which were loaded with the lifters 1RM of the snatch and jerk. The 2nd table is based off of strictly 1RM for every exercise to calculate thetotal energy expenditure for each exercise. Since most lifters can pull a lot more than they squat or press (becausea lot more muscles are used in the pull than the squat/ press) in terms of their body weight, I think the study used relative energy expenditure or else theresults would have been out of whack. However, in both tables the front squat expends more energy than the back squat.

The 2 tables are a bit confusing because the first table is in cals/kg while the second is strictly kcalories expended without regards to bodyweight.

The enxt page goes to on to display table 3.12 graphically and explains a bit more and points out some aspects of trainig that may seem counterintuitive at first. It's a great book to have. I recently went through a bunch of boxes full of books that I putaway shortly after college and have been rereading it. It's Supertraining by Mel C. Siff.

24fctww.jpg

Back
Top Bottom