Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

Originally Posted by wawaweewa

Originally Posted by drock2010

Originally Posted by drock2010

I want my shoulders to get bigger and I work on them just like every other body part but I dont see them getting much bigger
should I up the weight and lower the reps
right now I'm doing low weight high reps
If low weight high reps isn't working then try going heavier with low reps. Personally I believe that heavy w/ low reps is the way to go but you also have to remember that the shoulder is composed of 3 heads. You need to stress all 3 heads.
Yeah I mostly do shoulder presses
what head does that work (nh)
Mostly the anterior (front) deltoid with assistance from the lateral (middle) deltoid.
Most the mass will actually come from the lateral and posterior (rear) heads.

Here's an anatomical pic;

shoulder-anatomy.gif

Frankly, seated shoulder presses are pretty useless and hold back development. Seated presses can't harness the maximum shoulder strentgh of an individual.

Push Presses/Jerks are far superior. Seated presses are good as an assistance exercises but shouldn't be the main lift.
For example if I'm push pressing say 100lb for reps and all i can strict press is 60lbs, think of how much total poundage I'm leaving behind each training session.

So what else can I do besides a seated dumbell press?

i want to try that olympic lift thing..

For size, you want to do more volume so you exhaust the muscle more. That's why most bodybuilders train to muscular failure. It breaks down the mostfibers, stimulating the most growth.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Hey Chewtoy, how long did it take you to get to the build where you are?
I started working out in 2005, so technically 4 years, but the first bit was a bulk that I would never do again, so who knows what would'vehappened if I didn't do that.

Originally Posted by nealraj006

For size, you want to do more volume so you exhaust the muscle more. That's why most bodybuilders train to muscular failure. It breaks down the most fibers, stimulating the most growth.
+1. That's why I do 3x12 with 30 secs of rest. Epic muscle fail. However, when I do my legs/sports workouts, I do eight reps for power.

Brownies and ice cream, fried rice, turkey sandwich w/ gravy, mad oreos. Bacon and eggs this morning too.
smile.gif

I'm expecting another week of this.

Feels great!

Not trying to demotivate any of you. I sprained my wrist, letting my elbows rest, and calves heal.

I'm gonna come back strong though...

Originally Posted by ChewToy112

For size, you want to do more volume so you exhaust the muscle more. That's why most bodybuilders train to muscular failure. It breaks down the most fibers, stimulating the most growth.
+1. That's why I do 3x12 with 30 secs of rest. Epic muscle fail. However, when I do my legs/sports workouts, I do eight reps for power.
whats the difference between gaining size and power?

Originally Posted by Yan Can Cook

which one would hurt more Floyd Mayweather punching you or a 200 pound out of shape man

Type I and II a&b fibers. Type I fibers are endurance motivators. Type II fibers are strength motivators which are also classified as fasttwitch fibers.

1-5 Rep Range activates type II fibers which are responsible for denser fiber recruitment. While muscles won't fill out they will be much more denseallowing them a greater forceful contraction.

6-15 Reps will activate type I or slow twitch fibers causing muscles to fill out but won't necessarily cause significant strength gains. Muscles will alsorevert back to their original size hours after the workout swell while type II activated fibers will stay dense.

Eight reps is way too much if you're going for strentgh.

Also, as others and I have said, the high volume work for size regimen is simply a general rule. For some it works and for others it doesn't. Even if anindividual benefits from it, it may not be the optimal way to train for that individual.

It's a popular regimen because Pro BB'ers usually incorporate high volume work. There are 2 major problems with trying to emulate Pro BB'ers. First, very few people know the entire training regiem of any Pro BB'er. There are top Pro BB'ers who trainmore like powerlifters but it is not widely known. Second, these pro's are on a sophisticated ( some not so sophistacted) regimen of Steroids, HGH,Insulin etc. Do not try to emulate the workouts of Pro's who are doped up. They are on an entirely different level when it comes to their volume toleranceand recuperation time.

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Type I and II a&b fibers. Type I fibers are endurance motivators. Type II fibers are strength motivators which are also classified as fast twitch fibers.

1-5 Rep Range activates type II fibers which are responsible for denser fiber recruitment. While muscles won't fill out they will be much more dense allowing them a greater forceful contraction.

6-15 Reps will activate type I or slow twitch fibers causing muscles to fill out but won't necessarily cause significant strength gains. Muscles will also revert back to their original size hours after the workout swell while type II activated fibers will stay dense.
Thank you.
I just need this dumbed down slightly. In order to increase size (and keep size) should I be doing 6-15 or 1-5.
Also, is it understood that 6-15 reps will be of less weight?

I'm learning

I'm not going for strength, I'm going for functional power. Max power occurs at approximately two-thirds maximum load. Yeah, if youtrain for strength, power will increase becase power is a function of strength, but I prefer to perform my athletic lifts with power up front. More reps givesa more functional workout, more power on the current lift, more calores burned, better results (from my experience).

I'm not going for strength, I'm going for functional power.

You mean static and dynamic strength?

Either way, you're not getting it with 8 reps. Eight is still a bit too high.

Sorry, late edit. See above.

Anyway, I'm talking strength vs. power.
Strength = Force x Distance
Power = Force x Distance / Time

Sorry, late edit. See above.

Anyway, I'm talking strength vs. power.
Strength = Force x Distance
Power = Force x Distance / Time
You're not taking it far enough.

F= m x a

For sure, by rep 7 and 8 your velocity is significantly less than what you're capable of generating. Even by rep 4 it's considerably less than reps1-3.
At some point you're just building muscular endurance and not necessarily power.

There's a reason that most of the dynamic weightlifting movements that demand power are done in the 1-3 rep range. Past 3 reps, velocity starts todecrease considerably as a result of the lactic acid build up prohibiting the maximum amount of oxygen from reaching the muscle.

Man getting confused in here..

Squats im doing 4x8 at the heaviest I can with good form.. should I be doing less reps? I play basketball btw, going for that wicked crazy explosion lol..However I get sore the next 3-4 days after my leg days, I was thinking if maybe its overworked and that I should do legs every 2nd week?

Does that sound good?

(NH) but is there any way to slim your butt down. i hate it and i hate how it looks in jeans. ALSO: i got a problem my chest is gettin lopsided for somereason, at least to me, because one side is gettin bigger than the other way faster?! normal, suggestions, comments?

Originally Posted by gberdin

(NH) but is there any way to slim your butt down. i hate it and i hate how it looks in jeans. ALSO: i got a problem my chest is gettin lopsided for some reason, at least to me, because one side is gettin bigger than the other way faster?! normal, suggestions, comments?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by gberdin

(NH) but is there any way to slim your butt down. i hate it and i hate how it looks in jeans. ALSO: i got a problem my chest is gettin lopsided for some reason, at least to me, because one side is gettin bigger than the other way faster?! normal, suggestions, comments?
For the chest question, perhaps you can do dumbell presses. I find that I push more with my right arm when I'm doing barbell bench presses.

As for getting stronger (without gaining weight), I definitely recommend low reps in the 1-5 reps range. I've stuck at 160 for 5 years now but haveconsistently gotten stronger at the gym by doing low reps (I'll alternate between 1-5 reps and 6+ reps every few weeks).

I recommend saving your energy on power lifting days by restricting yourself from doing too many reps when warming up. For example, if you bench press 200pounds just 2 times, start off by warming up with 150 pounds x 5, 180 pounds x 4, 190 x 4 and then 200 x 2. I notice that I cant do much volume on the dayswhen I'm testing my strength...I usually end up doing 20 reps total (warming up and maxing out) when I'm lifting for strength.
Squats im doing 4x8 at the heaviest I can with good form.. should I be doing less reps? I play basketball btw, going for that wicked crazy explosion lol.. However I get sore the next 3-4 days after my leg days, I was thinking if maybe its overworked and that I should do legs every 2nd week?
Your most likely feeling sore for 3-4 days afterwards because of the volume your doing, not because the weight is heavy. If you want to becomemore explosive, I'd look into bringing the reps down to maybe 1-5 reps. The good thing I find about working out for strength is that I hardly ever feelsore the next day because you cant physically do too many reps if your pushing your body that hard. For example, if you can squat 200 pounds x 4 times, workyour way up to that point (again, dont waste too much energy warming up) and then when you feel you are ready, squat the 200 pounds for 3-4 sets.

In the past, I used to destroy my legs...8 sets of squats doing 8-10 reps, 4 sets of deadlifts, 6-8 reps , 2 sets of good mornings, 10 reps, 4 sets of lunges,10 reps per leg...I'd have trouble walking for the next 4 days (the groin pain was the worst
sick.gif
). Ever since reducing the volume, I've felt very little leg/lower backsoreness the next day and I'm usually 95% the 2nd day after lifting.

Back
Top Bottom