Stay/Get Back In Shape.... Vol 2.0

I kinda like workouts on empty stomachs (14+ hours fasted).... except when I'm supposed to reach new feats of strength. it just isn't happening

Originally Posted by DNeou20

what do yall do to hit rear delts? i have back day and usually try to hit rears during these workouts.
lately i've done reverse flies (db and cable)... but i need some variety
horizontal pulling. Rows, front lever, etc.
Specific work for balancing out the shoulder and back muscles is useful too:

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by nealraj006

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Anyone else work out on an empty stomach? I usually wake up at 9/930am play ball till 1130 or so and then eat.

Is this necessarily bad
I prefer to do physical activity on an empty stomach most of the time. If you've got the energy and stay hydrated, there's no problem. The idea that you have to eat before doing physical activity is laughable to me. Running a marathon might warrant a meal, but playing basketball for a few hours doesn't necessarily have to. Drink water and have fun.
Really?

I dont think I could ever play basketball or workout on an empty stomach.  I dont need to eat right before either activity, but if im hungry then theres no way I could do it.

3 hours post prandial?  Yeah.  5?  Nahh.
I'm so use to playing without eating first. I tried eating then playing and didn't play as well...I dont cramp up as easily when I don't eat.

Squatting 235x3 today.
Some guy twice my size approaches me and said "WOW your form is great man.. who taught you how to squat like that?"
same thing happened with deadlift last week

feels good/awkward man

Originally Posted by brettTHEjett

Squatting 235x3 today.
Some guy twice my size approaches me and said "WOW your form is great man.. who taught you how to squat like that?"

feels good/awkward man
235x6....mirin?

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Squatting 235x3 today.

feels good/awkward man
235x6....mirin?
275x5...mirin?

@ 135 lbs. feelsgood/badman

Squatting 235x3 today.

feels good/awkward man

This has happened to me a few times when squatting or deadlifting.
It is a bit awkward but it feels good knowing people appreciate your form/that you have good form.

Squatting 235x3 today.

feels good/awkward man
235x6....mirin?
Yes.
Hopped on the scale after workout just for kicks.... 168lbs 
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Was at 180 last month.... welp no beach season for me this summer... gotta kickup the calories again.

What do you guys do when you notice folks at the gym staring/mugging/miring at you?

Today I decided to do a weird wink while making the clicking noise
laugh.gif

had that happen the last few weeks since i've been going heavy (i'm only 5'5 143, but relatively strong for someone of my stature) and the fact that my arms grow way faster than everything else.... i try to just ignore it. get into the gym, do work, get out

Is it frowned upon bench pressing in the power rack?
nope, only frowned upon when ur form is messed up//

btw seen u in the misc forum...lookn good no romo

i just cant go all the way down w squats....my right knee feels awkward as hell like somethn is locking it/in the way of me going back up...

i just do the leg press machine...feels bad...

Originally Posted by VeEzyV

Hmmmm I might wanna try that..... I was feeling extra strong/cocky today on my 5x5 bench today, I was lifting 225 and throwing in 3 second pauses when I went down to about an inch from my chest
laugh.gif
I have no idea why I did it but the weight was feeling extra light today. My chests were blasted to the extreme
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

^Personally I say bad..... I mean if u slept for 8 hours, u need to get something in your stomach... light breakfast first thing in the morning, get to the gym or whatever and by then an hour has passed..... Can't just be running on fumes.

Others are gonna say good or doesn't matter.

Bottomline is, get that cardio in one way or another
pimp.gif
smile.gif

Originally Posted by proper english

AM cardio (1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach) good or bad?..
i would say bad as well, try to lift weights before you do cardio (assuming you have a gym membership or access to weights)

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Hmmmm I might wanna try that..... I was feeling extra strong/cocky today on my 5x5 bench today, I was lifting 225 and throwing in 3 second pauses when I went down to about an inch from my chest
laugh.gif
I have no idea why I did it but the weight was feeling extra light today. My chests were blasted to the extreme
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
good stuff, maybe your chest was rested to the point where it felt unstoppable lol...

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
good stuff, maybe your chest was rested to the point where it felt unstoppable lol...
possibly, I haven't touched my chests in about 5 days

Originally Posted by 916kid

I heard it was good if you are trying to lose weight.
The supposed deal with that is since you're running on an empty stomach, the body will tap into its fat more...some say take caffeine or BCAA's to minimize the catabolic effects of this and to stimulate more fat loss.

basketball practice pushes around 3 hours plus and im eating only about 100-120 grams of protein a day.... am i losing muscle?
ohwell.gif
i still lift to maintain strength MWF

I've heard fasted cardio is quite effective.  The thing with it is it has to be low intensity (imagine doing a power walk) for 45-60 min, and I emphasize the LOW INTENSITY.

Perhaps take BCAA's beforehand also.

Give it a try and see how your body reacts to it.

I've heard fasted cardio is quite effective.  The thing with it is it has to be low intensity (imagine doing a power walk) for 45-60 min, and I emphasize the LOW INTENSITY.

Perhaps take BCAA's beforehand also.

Give it a try and see how your body reacts to it.

" The newest issue of the Strength and Conditioning Journal (Feb/March)Volume 33 number 1 has show this style of cardio to be the wrong way to go about burning extra fat stores along with the other thing most want to maintain their muscle by doing this as well and this practice has shown again to further breakdown the lean muscle in your body.

Overtime, fat burning is not an immediate process, it is one that occurs over the course of days not hours, so as you burn more carbohydrate during your workout, the body will burn more fat post exercise.

The study has also showed that having food(carbohydrate) precardio has been shown to not slow down lipolysis in the individual and in the fasted state even going after the breakdown of more fat, the body will take those excess fats that aren't oxidized and become re-esterfied(be stored back to fat). Also with the consumption of food before training increases the thermic effect of exercise(EPOC will be the highest by having food in your body not in the fasted state), yet another good reason to eat a little something before cardio in the am. This basically means that you are burning more cals while you are standing around after the workout is over.

Another negative factor to training in the fasted state is the impact on proteolysis(breaking down proteins AKA losing muscle), nitrogen losses more than doubled in the fasted state as compared to having glycogen within the body. Another good reason to have a little bit of food when doing cardio, whenever you do it.

the last thing it goes on to say is that in the fasted state, it will cause lower energy levels, thus decreasing the fat burning process. Performance here will suffer, especially when trying to do the far superior style of training, which is HIIT, (HIIT vs LISS), more energy when doing cardio=more cals burned both during and after physical activity, thus more fat burned.

So finally, given that training with depleted glycogen levels has been shown to increase proteolysis, the strategy has potential detrimental effects for those concerned with muscle strength and Hypertrophy.

So eat little meal and use those BCAAS to help retain lean muscle and burn more fat! "

Back
Top Bottom