STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Guys, I ponder this thread a lot but have a real dilemna:

I do not take supplements and I have been going hard at the gym for the last few months. I do see results but it does come slowly. I used to get supplements (whey protein but it didnt help THAT much). I just do not believe in all these chemicals and ingredients in the supplements even though they are probably okay to use.

Should I grab some whey protein? Is it really Necessary? 

I have history of asthma. First I've heard of exercises that you can do to treat asthma. There are inhalers lol.

Yeah I'm always packin' my inhaler at the gym lol
I'd like to avoid getting to the point where I need it though

I suppose I didn't mean treat asthma, but more like exercises that don't exacerbate it as much. They say swimming is good cause the warm, moist air isn't as harsh on the bronchioles.

You said you have a history of asthma, did it gradually stop bothering you over the years or do you just keep the inhaler on deck? I usually start feeling it if I'm lifting real heavy or for a bunch of sets.

Guys, I ponder this thread a lot but have a real dilemna:

I do not take supplements and I have been going hard at the gym for the last few months. I do see results but it does come slowly. I used to get supplements (whey protein but it didnt help THAT much). I just do not believe in all these chemicals and ingredients in the supplements even though they are probably okay to use.

Should I grab some whey protein? Is it really Necessary? 
Supplements are used for supplementation just as the word says; in other words in can help but is not at all necessary,

For example Im between 185 and 190, so for gainz i should be getting anywhere from 180 to 200 grams of protein. This can be difficult on some days especially when you keep in mind that I have to keep the fat content of of meats in mind. So knocking out a quick 25 to 50 grams of protein makes the task much easier, plus it can prove to be cheaper. 

But no you dont need it at all, you can just eat food

You dint need any supplement, but if I had to say one that can be the most beneficial I would say Creatine.

Whey and vitamins. Dont know why people make the argument that they arent necessary, its not that they arent necessary, its that it makes things easier and saves time. Easy 25g of protein and easy vitamins good for the whole day.

I have history of asthma. First I've heard of exercises that you can do to treat asthma. There are inhalers lol.

Yeah I'm always packin' my inhaler at the gym lol
I'd like to avoid getting to the point where I need it though

I suppose I didn't mean treat asthma, but more like exercises that don't exacerbate it as much. They say swimming is good cause the warm, moist air isn't as harsh on the bronchioles.

You said you have a history of asthma, did it gradually stop bothering you over the years or do you just keep the inhaler on deck? I usually start feeling it if I'm lifting real heavy or for a bunch of sets.

I haven't used an inhaler in a long time. I remember I used to use it pretty frequently as a teen. In the last ten years, I've only needed to use an inhaler anytime I get sick.

I used to make a habit of re-upping on my inhaler anytime I get sick, but maybe the last 3-4x I haven't bothered with it

Iirc in school, some people can outgrow their asthma. Guess I'm one of them.
*knock on wood
*knocks on wood again

Everyone's asthma is different. Everyone has different triggers. You'll know better than me what exercises to avoid. Just keep your inhaler with you, of course.

Never really heard of swimming triggering asthma, so you should be good there.

Last edited:
I live in Central VA, in the middle of Richmond and DC.

Where is RC at? Arlington??

I still haven't been to Mikes American Grill either.

I haven't used an inhaler in a long time. I remember I used to use it pretty frequently as a teen. In the last ten years, I've only needed to use an inhaler anytime I get sick.

I used to make a habit of re-upping on my inhaler anytime I get sick, but maybe the last 3-4x I haven't bothered with it

*knock on wood
*knocks on wood again

Everyone's asthma is different. Everyone has different triggers. You'll know better than me what exercises to avoid. Just keep your inhaler with you, of course.

I had asthma all throughout my childhood, I remember waking up with that machine that makes mad smoke on my grill frequently.

For most of my highschool years i played football and as you can imagine I was doing a gang of physical activity, didnt have to think about my asthma once.

Went out to do a physical for one of the upcoming seasons and doc asks me do I have a history of illness

Im like "yea asthma", he looks at me puzzled and is like "nah you dont have that anymore"

Im like "oh" 
laugh.gif
, My dude didnt offer me any explanation, i just kept it moving.

Anyone know of a place to hoop in the West Greenwich, RI area? I'll be in town for work this week. I'm from South Carolina and this is my first trip up north, so I know nothing about the area.

Everyone with slow bench gainz, I did a little experiment and switched to a 5x5 and widened my grip a lot and was able to add 20# to what I rep in two weeks. Idk not saying it will work for you but it definitely is getting me quicker results.

*knock on wood
*knocks on wood again

I had asthma all throughout my childhood, I remember waking up with that machine that makes mad smoke on my grill frequently.

For most of my highschool years i played football and as you can imagine I was doing a gang of physical activity, didnt have to think about my asthma once.

Went out to do a physical for one of the upcoming seasons and doc asks me do I have a history of illness

Im like "yea asthma", he looks at me puzzled and is like "nah you dont have that anymore"

Im like "oh" 
laugh.gif
, My dude didnt offer me any explanation, i just kept it moving.
I unfortunately remember this all too well. Actually had to bring it with me on vacations. Terrible.
mean.gif

My asthma only seems to show up when I get a major cold. It's been 5 years and I'm glad it's mostly gone now.

Everyone with slow bench gainz, I did a little experiment and switched to a 5x5 and widened my grip a lot and was able to add 20# to what I rep in two weeks. Idk not saying it will work for you but it definitely is getting me quicker results.
wider grip shortens the ROM and can facilitate more weight for some but my shoulders cry if my pinkies go much past the knurling onto/over the rings.

Exactly. I guess it's a bench hack. I guess I'm lucky it doesn't hurt, I don't grip the bar is the same place every set but overall I've widened it a lot. I also don't run out of gas so fast touching the bar way lower on my chest.

My kryptonite is squats, I pretty much gave up. I just leg press it and deadlift. My right arm is too messed up. I love deadlifts though. When you feel the bar bend. :pimp:

i like their products. the protein isn't spiked and tastes good. i've had snickerdoodle and cookies and cream. both were good.

i've also used high volume and alphamine with good results.

just checked online

Edit: 35 bucks for 3.76lbs.. i feel that's pricey, but i was about to get the MP brand for 40 for 4lbs even. and has that fluff they' were talking about

read more in to Amino spiking, im not to sure what to believe, every company that's been to court so far hasn't lost.
but claiming 9 grams out of the 24 is actual protein is sort of huge.
main company was the Inner Armour one.
I use to have a strange taste for their protein, it was chalky but sort of good.

geezus ive been up since 3 a.m. thank goodness it's a rest day today, just some cardio and a little bit of abs.
Does anyone take ZMA?

Last edited:
Day 1 of my pullup journey. I was able to do 12 (3 sets of 4) but I had to use the parallel grips, guess it was hammer grip... couldn't do 1 with the wide grips like the lat pull down machine. Will getting up my reps on the hammer grips transfer over and help with the wide? Seems like I'm mainly using biceps and the wide grip would need my back.

My last week of training (12 weeks). My competition (Garage Games: Master Tour - FL Pride) is this Saturday in Flordia.

Time to take it easy and try to sleep as much as possible.

Nervous as hell. I have test tomorrow. As it look, my overall score may get me on the podium. (Compared to leaderboards).

Back
Top Bottom