STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Mobility training.  

As my coach told me, drop the weight.  

Start him off at a weight where his form is right, then work up from there.

Second the mobility work. Tight hamstrings and hips can really jack up the starting position. Start him light and engrain good motor patterns. Smash the upper back, hams and glutes.

Hows his setup now? What kinda grip and is he looking up?

Pretty standard set up. Feet shoulder width. Bar starting at the mid foot. Double overhand grip. I try to get him to look up the entire time. Try to get him to keep his chest up. I've messed around with keep his hips low or high. Not sure if I'm explaining it correctly.

Mobility training.  

As my coach told me, drop the weight.  

Start him off at a weight where his form is right, then work up from there.

Any specific mobility stuff you'd recommend?

I don't really think weight is the issue. We've done 65 pounds or 95 pounds total. He isn't very strong but still. But you're right. I try not to let him move up in weight on any lift without proper form.

Besides mobility work, try something as simple as an under/over grip. Might make it feel more comfortable to him. Mobility will work wonders but im sure hes gonna wanna "try" everytime to see if hes getting better at it, so do the small things like mixed grip.

Anyone have advice on cheap paleo diets?

It seems eating so much fresh veg and meat would be very expensive.

Pretty standard set up. Feet shoulder width. Bar starting at the mid foot. Double overhand grip. I try to get him to look up the entire time. Try to get him to keep his chest up. I've messed around with keep his hips low or high. Not sure if I'm explaining it correctly.

I don't really think weight is the issue. We've done 65 pounds or 95 pounds total. He isn't very strong but still. But you're right. I try not to let him move up in weight on any lift without proper form.

Hip flexor stretches, hamstring stretch, "couch" stretch, banded hip distractions, foam roll etc.

Second the mobility work. Tight hamstrings and hips can really jack up the starting position. Start him light and engrain good motor patterns. Smash the upper back, hams and glutes.
Also, https://strengthmilitia.wordpress.com/2014/01/17/mobility-for-the-big-3/

I missed out on a Mobility Repair and Workshop with Zach Anderson and Dr. Lauren Polivka.  However, I am planning on attending the next one.

I am hoping to share the knowledge with everyone on here.

Thanks guys. Gonna try all these suggestions out. I normally try to get in and out of the gym ASAP so these stretches seem like a drag :lol: It'll definitely help though. Just gotta make the time. Appreciate the responses. Not trying to have this kid take a trip to snap city on my watch.

I feel like weve gone too far in the other direction with mobility work. Its the go-to answer for a problem you cant solve.

It's probably too much weight for him. Tell him to push his feet down not lift up. Just imagine pushing your feet through the floor.

watching all the mcgregor and ido portal stuff and my plan to go vegetarian for Q1 of 2016 has me thinking I may completely change my training routine into movement and running centered.

Yeah I think me getting older i'm more into being in good conditioning, burning this fat and health than anything. Maybe once i'm at where i need to be i'll worry about gainz again.

Uising mixed grip isn't for fixing mobility issues

It's for saving your grip

Im not saying its gonna help his mobility, but itll make it a more "comfortable" lift for him. Its already an awkward lift for him, something as small as changing your grip couls make it easier for him.

The deadlift is an awkward lift for lots of beginners. That's why you start off with the bar or barely loading the bar. It's why you work on flexibility and proper mechanics.

Mixing up your grip isn't the answer. It's only for when you want to save your grip or when you're really loading the bar and your grip is limiting the amount of weight you can do.

Mixing up your grip may make you feel comfortable lifting the bar but you can still hurt your back if your setup is wrong.

Last edited:
Nah b, mobility is the easy answer to a lot of problems. Besides that, its the little things. Adjusting foot position, pointing toes out a little more, putting your *** back more, etc. Mixing grip could help the overall feel of the lift.

I'm saying, just because someone feels more comfortable with a mixed grip doesn't automatically mean they are deadlifting corectly. It's really, really, really the lowest priority when it comes to fixing someone's setup. The other stuff that you were saying, fixing foot position, changing your back angle, that's all well and good. Mixing your grip. Nah.

It's a pretty common strategy among any reputable trainers to stay away from the mixed grip until you can really start to load the bar.

Last edited:
I want to be able to dl as much as possible with overhand since it's way more comfortable to me. Mixed I feel all off. I can do it but I don't like it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom