STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

bang-energy-stoked.jpg

Few shots from last Sunday. Last warmup single and then my 2ndsquat attempt @ 155 kg / 342 lbs. I got a lot of work until the next one. Lots of mistakes and miscues again. Overall better numbers than my 1st meet but nowhere near what I wanted or expected from myself. Waiting for more pictures and videos.
IMG952090.jpg
IMG952085.jpg

Last edited:
Do you guys low bar or high bar squat? Always done high bar, tried low bar this week and was not a fan. :lol: Felt like the bar was going to roll off my back.

Kept reading how "power lifters" low bar squat so I attempted it, not sure if I'll try to learn it or just stay with the high bar squat.

High bar, parallel depth like Harrison up there. Power lifting techniques are sport specific, not necessarily lending itself to functional strength.

Do you guys low bar or high bar squat? Always done high bar, tried low bar this week and was not a fan. :lol: Felt like the bar was going to roll off my back.

Kept reading how "power lifters" low bar squat so I attempted it, not sure if I'll try to learn it or just stay with the high bar squat.

Low bar. First started high bar while doing my LP program. Eventually hit a wall and started missing on PR attempts. Switched to low bar and haven't looked back since. Squat is definitely less 'quad dominant' than it used to be, so I have to keep that in mind to ensure they don't lag too much behind my posterior chain. Adding in front squats and leg pressing helps.

As for it being uncomfortable, yeah, that's 'cause it's new. FWIW I tried to squat high bar a few weeks ago to see where I was at and that felt awkward. For the sake of reference my high bar squat is ≈12% lower than my low bar squat (but I've only done it like once in the last 12+ months or so).

Was actually watching Alan Thrall talk about this in the shop today. I cannot fathom a reason NOT to squat low bar unless you physically cannot. Brb moving more weight and thus building more muscle while putting up bigger numbers.

I have my mid bar. Not super low bar (sitting on rear delta) but also not high (sitting on the peak of the traps like Olympic lifters).

high bar is king though for sure. Used to only do high bar

Powerlifters do it because they can move more weight with it. If you’re not powerlifting there’s no reason to do it imo. High bar is king.

This dude is just different.....LOLOLOLOLOLOL! Motivates the hell outta me! COCKED Strong Black man!

Powerlifters do it because they can move more weight with it. If you’re not powerlifting there’s no reason to do it imo. High bar is king.
During training camp it is always encouraged to do high bar, due to it being less risky, less potentially injurious to the lumbar spine. Bad posture, pushing away from neutral, soon comes while training in that fashion, which is the death knell for the explosive athlete.

Few shots from last Sunday. Last warmup single and then my 2ndsquat attempt @ 155 kg / 342 lbs. I got a lot of work until the next one. Lots of mistakes and miscues again. Overall better numbers than my 1st meet but nowhere near what I wanted or expected from myself. Waiting for more pictures and videos.

Questions, since I see you're in the Rom 3's in those pics:
1) Have you been in the 2's? If so, which do you like better?
2) What did you wear for bench, the Roms or something else?
3) Do you train and compete in the same pair of lifters or do you cycle or alternate?

Main reasons I ask are because the Forza we pressed on was a lot taller than the Hammer Strength rigs I usually lift on. I don't remember what other cats there were wearing, except a few junior guys in Metcon 2's/4's.

Furthermore, I wonder if there is a negative/downside to switching shoes so frequently, even though all of them in rotation are already broken in.

Serious question. My gym shirts are rancid. I believe it's from the pits. I wake up in the am and go straight to the gym.
Any detergent recommendation?
Do I need to start slapping on deodorant or baby powder ?

Back
Top Bottom