STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Anyone have a bench program they’ve done before? Maybe like the ed coan DL one ahat ahat

Just did barbell bench for the first time since I’ve been back in the gym. Got up to 205x1 which I’m cool with it, I’ve never been good at barbell bench. Currently doing 70s for 10 and around 5-6 with dumbbells

I need to work on my form if anyone has any good videos on that. It ends up hurting my wrist and shoulder (same side)

You could try an old Westside method for a bit. Do a speed day, a high volume day, then a maximum effort day.

When that gets stale, you can try mixing things up with some floor presses and using chains if you have access to some.

I can choose 3 songs for the venue to play during my compeition for my third attemps on squat, bench, and deadlift.

whats everyones PR song right now?

currently im thinking:

Clipse - Wamp Wamp
Travis Scott - Nightcrawler
Young Dolph - Preach

You could try an old Westside method for a bit. Do a speed day, a high volume day, then a maximum effort day.

When that gets stale, you can try mixing things up with some floor presses and using chains if you have access to some.

Westside is prolly inappropriate for a weaker, non-equipped lifter.
unimpressed.png

I can choose 3 songs for the venue to play during my compeition for my third attemps on squat, bench, and deadlift.

whats everyones PR song right now?

currently im thinking:

Clipse - Wamp Wamp
Travis Scott - Nightcrawler
Young Dolph - Preach

Trying to stay somewhat aligned with the stylistic taste you already rockin with. Tbh Nightcrawler probably staying though.

Anyone have a bench program they’ve done before? Maybe like the ed coan DL one ahat ahat

Just did barbell bench for the first time since I’ve been back in the gym. Got up to 205x1 which I’m cool with it, I’ve never been good at barbell bench. Currently doing 70s for 10 and around 5-6 with dumbbells

I need to work on my form if anyone has any good videos on that. It ends up hurting my wrist and shoulder (same side)

2x week do 5x5 each of Barbell Bench, Incline Bench, Dumbbell Bench, Incline Bench. Increase weight about 10% each set. The 4th and 5th set of each exercise should be near top end range RPE. The **** probably is outdated, but it works for people in that beginner to intermediate range.

When I blew out my knee junior of high school football and all I could do was upper body lifts post surgery, an OG put me on and I added something stupid like 50lbs to my 5 rep max in two months, just doing that every Monday and Friday.

Part of that was being a teenager, but my 1 rep max was about the same as yours. Less than a year later I hit a cool lil 275 at the end of preseason lift offs. Ironically it was all counterproductive as hell for me and my role as a football player, but I digress. You're trying to increase strength output.

5x5 is the best for intermediate lifters looking for programming to increase strength on squat/bench/dl etc.. There are a ton of great 5x5 spreadsheets floating around the web. Eventually you will plateau and can switch to a 5/3/1 program. Same thing, great resources on web. I disagree with the posters saying bench 3x a week. That is probably too much volume and may burn you out.

That’s what I did. 5x5 then 5/3/1

my bench pr is only 255 though :lol:

I have plates in my forearm and I’m just not willing to deal with the pain beyond that. As long as I can rep 2 plates a couple times I’m good.

If avoiding injury is intermediate it is what it is.

Wasn't even directed at you but I see you felt some type of way.
francis.png

Plenty of folks are advanced and injured. Plenty of novices injure themselves as well.

If the juice isn't worth the squeeze and you're cool with lifting light weights to avoid pain or a possible injury, just say that.
stopitslime.png

I avoid injury and am not an intermediate any more, so it mos def is what it is.
SS3-Blessed.png

So what makes one an intermediate lifter vs an advanced lifter 🧐

If you have to ask...
whoa.png

But really it's two things:
1) The inability to respond to pure linear progression; the lifter now requires some type of periodization to progress.

2) There are certain strength levels associated with your numbers on the bar as well.

A 185-pound dude going 135/225/315/405 OHP/B/S/D is a middle-late intermediate level lifter. The same 185 going for 3/4/5 plates on the Big Three is an early advanced.

Hella folks think that because they've been lifting for __ many months/years that they're an intermediate or advanced trainee when they're really still a novice or untrained lifter.
snoop.png

If you have to ask...
whoa.png

But really it's two things:
1) The inability to respond to pure linear progression; the lifter now requires some type of periodization to progress.

2) There are certain strength levels associated with your numbers on the bar as well.

A 185-pound dude going 135/225/315/405 OHP/B/S/D is a middle-late intermediate level lifter. The same 185 going for 3/4/5 plates on the Big Three is an early advanced.

Hella folks think that because they've been lifting for __ many months/years that they're an intermediate or advanced trainee when they're really still a novice or untrained lifter.
snoop.png

i definitely haven't been lifting long enough to consider myself advanced, and the consistency of my form/technique isn't always solid on my compound lifts in the ways they ought to be to think myself to be intermediate really either even though i'm moving decent weights (matched a squat pr this morning with 405 for 2 & 420 for a single 😤)...i figure i'm in between a novice & intermediate

Back
Top Bottom