STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Lol boys arguing about some level of lifting.

When I step on the stage, I do it without baby oil.
yeshrug.png

"Some level of lifting" is the only thing that matters for me.
ld.png

your level in lifting is determined on how fast you make gains imo.

beginner = make gains with weeks and month

intermediate = make gains every several months

high intermediate = still making gains every year. like 15-20lbs+ on your 1 rep max.

advance = takes years to put on 5-10lbs on your 1 rep max or to even put on 1-3lbs of lean muscle.

then my level = everything hurts and can’t make gains for **** aka washed up.

high intermediate = still making gains every year. like 15-20lbs+ on your 1 rep max.

advance = takes years to put on 5-10lbs on your 1 rep max or to even put on 1-3lbs of lean muscle.

You ain't lied. Skrenf and lean mass gains slow the fuark down the higher you go up the mountain.
mjcry1.png

Folks sometimes get mad when they get called/classified as a beginner or intermediate, but that just means they can do less and make more. Advanced+ lifters have to do more to walk away with less.

Everybody wants to be a beast until it's time to do what beasts do.
fredo.png

I be telling these gym neophytes to enjoy their newb gains because it only gets harder from here on out.
francis.png

I was gonna take the rest of the week off after Wednesday and start a new program on Monday. I only made it two days.
mjlol.png

I went to the kitchen just now to get that #POWDA! and head out and discovered I was out of yayo.
snoop.png
dahell2.png

So I just made some more and am oscar mike. #HomeBrew
Supa-hot-fyah GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Caught Covid, asymptomatic at this point until I started lifting (at my house) haven’t been the sweaty in a minute.

I dl the first day I had a positive test because i felt fine. Same thing, no shortness of breath though.

Caught Covid, asymptomatic at this point until I started lifting (at my house) haven’t been the sweaty in a minute.

I dl the first day I had a positive test because i felt fine. Same thing, no shortness of breath though.

same thing happened to me when i caught it a few months back. i felt fine and was hitting the gym (before i tested) and was sweating crazy. later that day my congestion was lumbar and i knew something was up. luckily mine never got worse than congestion.

Been sick. Tested negative today FTW. I guess its just a really bad flu. Was actually supposed to get both my shots today but thats postponed because of active infection.

Sorry to hear that. It sucks. I wasnt feeling "well" last time I worked out when I did that OD cardio, I think that probably didnt help.

That’s all I have is congestion and sweaty as hell working out DonRafa DonRafa

Tbh you got it worse than me deusavertat deusavertat i haven’t had the flu in years but this is nothing compared to that.

The first time I had Covid it sucked pretty bad though.

Somehow Ive been able to avoid covid all these years but without fail whenever the weather changes hot to cold cold to hot I get flu like symptoms. This one is a little scary cause Im literally struggling to breathe normally hence the covid scare.

Y’all ever have issues sticking to your “plan”? I planned to do a 5x5 for 185 on incline bench but after 2 sets, threw 2 plates on and did 3x3. I did finish the 5x5 afterwards but damn, it’s tough to not go for more :lol:
If I want to stick to a plan I go to the gym during dead hours because I’m for sure not mentally strong enough stick to 185 for 5x5 during peak hours, esp if baddies in the gym 😂😂

It’s just too much energy during peak hours to not want to push heavy

If you have to ask...
whoa.png

But really it's two things:
1) The inability to respond to pure linear progression; the lifter now requires some type of periodization to progress.

2) There are certain strength levels associated with your numbers on the bar as well.

A 185-pound dude going 135/225/315/405 OHP/B/S/D is a middle-late intermediate level lifter. The same 185 going for 3/4/5 plates on the Big Three is an early advanced.

Hella folks think that because they've been lifting for __ many months/years that they're an intermediate or advanced trainee when they're really still a novice or untrained lifter.
snoop.png
Ngl, I lowkey wanted to be mad at this but I see what you’re saying.

But by no means is 135/225/315/405 laughable numbers at 185lbs. That’s basically where I am & I’m just in the gym for aesthetics. Pretty sure 80% of the population of any commercial gym isn’t hitting those numbers.

But by no means is 135/225/315/405 laughable numbers at 185lbs. That’s basically where I am & I’m just in the gym for aesthetics. Pretty sure 80% of the population of any commercial gym isn’t hitting those numbers.

Didn't say they were laughable, but totaling 945 (so not even 1000 SBD) isn't really anything to ride home about either to me.

80% of folks in a commercial gym are prolly just wasting time/energy IMO and don't even look like they exercise, but that might be my bias.

Dudes also have to take into account everything is relative. 945 might be better than 80% of GymPop. Maybe sub-20% b.f. is too, but I wouldn't consider a dude at 19, 20% b.f. to be any more impressive than our 945 SBD 185 pound lifter.

Neither is stage ready for a powerlifting comp or physique competition, even if they're doing better than most folks. Both are just normal, unremarkable hyoomons to me.

so can it be the case that one’s level of lifting can be somewhat independent of gains or numbers?

Y’all ever have issues sticking to your “plan”? I planned to do a 5x5 for 185 on incline bench but after 2 sets, threw 2 plates on and did 3x3. I did finish the 5x5 afterwards but damn, it’s tough to not go for more :lol:

i rarely go in with a strict ‘plan’ really…i kinda let how the lifts go determine how i proceed, though recently been trying get better with pressing so i’ve been consistent at least attempting to be consistent with pressing variations, finally hit 225 for 5 reps

If I want to stick to a plan I go to the gym during dead hours because I’m for sure not mentally strong enough stick to 185 for 5x5 during peak hours, esp if baddies in the gym 😂😂

It’s just too much energy during peak hours to not want to push heavy

🤣 really…sounds like the best way to get wrecked…baddies present or not, the weights don’t care and neither do they 😂😂😂 most women, even if the gym, don’t have that much reference for what’s heavy for men anyway.

probably true but it’s still the case that most gyms the cardio machine section takes up half the gym? it isn’t most gym goers goals to be strong/get those numbers, of the the people who actually lift regularly, that percentage is likely lower no?

probably true but it’s still the case that most gyms the cardio machine section takes up half the gym? it isn’t most gym goers goals to be strong/get those numbers, of the the people who actually lift regularly, that percentage is likely lower no?
Yeah, I agree. Majority of the ppl in the gym isn’t crunching numbers etc. which is why I think the 135/225/315/405 stat line is more than respectable (unless you consider yourself a PL).

I’d still like to experience a gym that caters to the folks that are crazy about bodybuilding, PL, etc. I’m sure it’s an awesome experience.

🤣 really…sounds like the best way to get wrecked…baddies present or not, the weights don’t care and neither do they 😂😂😂 most women, even if the gym, don’t have that much reference for what’s heavy for men anyway.

Agreed. In Soviet Russia, heavy weight lifts you.
Comrade Bron

so can it be the case that one’s level of lifting can be somewhat independent of gains or numbers?

No.

You can progress faster or slower than another lifter but at the end of the day you'll either be able to add weight to the bar (session-to-session/weekly), moderately fast (week-to-week/monthly), or more slowly.

That’s all I have is congestion and sweaty as hell working out DonRafa DonRafa

Tbh you got it worse than me deusavertat deusavertat i haven’t had the flu in years but this is nothing compared to that.

The first time I had Covid it sucked pretty bad though.
I might have gotten it without knowing since it has symptoms similar to colds and flu. was coughing terribly and feeling a bit out of it for a few days. jacked myself with lots of pills and steam. I really got a bad one maybe 2 years ago. that one was a pain. felt my lungs were getting ripped apart everytime I cough.

Yeah, I agree. Majority of the ppl in the gym isn’t crunching numbers etc. which is why I think the 135/225/315/405 stat line is more than respectable (unless you consider yourself a PL).

I’d still like to experience a gym that caters to the folks that are crazy about bodybuilding, PL, etc. I’m sure it’s an awesome experience.

I'll post my last .02 on this and then move on.

First, a motivational quote:

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-*** weights.”

― Ronnie Coleman

You gotta get this "majority of ppl in the gym" stuff outta your mindset if you wanna be more than just average.

The majority of folks prolly don't crunch numbers but they also:
  • don't progressively overload or periodize their training
  • have chitty exercise selection and frequency and volume issues
  • skip leg days
  • lift with low intensity
  • don't take their "diet" seriously and/or starve themselves using intermittent fasting
  • do too much low-intensity cardio and not enough heavy lifting to get their body composition right
  • don't carry a gym bag
  • only have one pair of shoes, which might be Crocs
so it would make sense that their numbers would be low because they're not training with anything close to a smart plan/program and they aren't "consistent".

If you live in America, the majority of people that don't go to the gym are physically repulsive, and the majority of people that do gym regularly aren't all that impressive (IMO).

If 1/2/3/4 plates is impressive to you, all the more (less?) power because it'll be easier for you to achieve and maintain.

Ran into a young breh (aka Young Jock) yesterday on post who had never pulled before. I put him on game since him and another dude were humble enough to ask his Tank Topness for help.

He ended up hitting the 1K Club at about 200 lbs and had almost 4 wheels off the ground with some simple coaching tips, a 5mm belt, a little liquid grip, and some ammonia.

If an in-shape rookie can have almost 4 cadillacs off the ground his first deadlifting session ever, there's no reason to consider that an impressive number IMO. Dude will be a Beruseruku Desu Beruseruku Desu level monster if he sticks with it.

Majority of folks in the gym ain't paying the Iron Price like Young Jock.

/rant

true, definitely respectable numbers especially if the person in question actually looks the part; in my limited interactions w/powerlifters i met inside of commercial gyms, they do seem to acknowledge the guys they see approaching those heavy weights…

similarly, i would like to try a gym that is more on the serious side but for completely different reasoning, the competition level/quality equipment would probably be better to train w/compared to what is available at big box gyms

Agreed. In Soviet Russia, heavy weight lifts you.
Comrade Bron

No.

You can progress faster or slower than another lifter but at the end of the day you'll either be able to add weight to the bar (session-to-session/weekly), moderately fast (week-to-week/monthly), or more slowly.

is there consideration for knowledge & proficiency? i imagine there are some bodybuilders who never really ‘lift heavy’ for whom could, ostensibly, be very technically capable of doing so but don’t ever because it doesn’t align w/the goal(s)?

I'll post my last .02 on this and then move on.

First, a motivational quote:

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-*** weights.”

― Ronnie Coleman

You gotta get this "majority of ppl in the gym" stuff outta your mindset if you wanna be more than just average.

The majority of folks prolly don't crunch numbers but they also:

• don't progressively overload or periodize their training
  • have chitty exercise selection and frequency and volume issues
  • skip leg days
  • lift with low intensity
  • don't take their "diet" seriously and/or starve themselves using intermittent fasting
  • do too much low-intensity cardio and not enough heavy lifting to get their body composition right
  • don't carry a gym bag
  • only have one pair of shoes, which might be Crocs
so it would make sense that their numbers would be low because they're not training with anything close to a smart plan/program and they aren't "consistent".

If you live in America, the majority of people that don't go to the gym are physically repulsive, and the majority of people that do gym regularly aren't all that impressive (IMO).

If 1/2/3/4 plates is impressive to you, all the more (less?) power because it'll be easier for you to achieve and maintain.

Ran into a young breh (aka Young Jock) yesterday on post who had never pulled before. I put him on game since him and another dude were humble enough to ask his Tank Topness for help.

He ended up hitting the 1K Club at about 200 lbs and had almost 4 wheels off the ground with some simple coaching tips, a 5mm belt, a little liquid grip, and some ammonia.

If an in-shape rookie can have almost 4 cadillacs off the ground his first deadlifting session ever, there's no reason to consider that an impressive number IMO. Dude will be a Beruseruku Desu Beruseruku Desu level monster if he sticks with it.

Majority of folks in the gym ain't paying the Iron Price like Young Jock.

/rant

😮‍💨 firstly, i’d say almost no one actually wants to be a bodybuilder 🤣🤣🤣, maybe they’d like to look like one? altho it is true that most aren’t 🫠 #aboutthatlife®️

it’s an interesting conceit because while i understand the sentiment, very literally a person getting those numbers is more than average already…tho by some standards unremarkable.

to your point (gym bag & footwear choice/selection excluded 😂) , every time i mistakenly come in the gym during peak hours & see the cardio section full i can’t imagine how folk can endure such monotony…but everyone has their own motivations, reasonings, & tolerances in terms of why they gym, most people aren’t too concerned w/strength & if they are making the decision to gym based on how they (want to) look ( vs. what they want to be able to do) they probably don’t know how/where to start & incorrectly intuit that cardio is the best approach to their aesthetic/fitness/health goals. it can yield results quicker but some eventually figure out that it’s better/more effective/more efficient to just lift heavy ish, but most by numbers will yo-yo…

i never was into fitness coming up, just played sports, when i started lifting post pandemic my reasoning had nothing to do with aesthetics or strength, it was exclusively about improving my ankle mobility (which ironically has not improved as much as i would have hoped 😔) via deep squats and by dint of being in the gym got good guidance from other folk in the gym about other movements & the pursuit of good technique but i maintain that exercise/working out, for those that aren’t pro athletes or otherwise monetizing their image, is kinda dumb & not at all intuitive such that it makes sense that most people would struggle with it in the modern context

I did deadlifts for the first time in a while. Your Tank Topness might need to come to TX and put me on game too cause I feel like I can never perfect my form 😞

190lbs, pulled 315 for 2. I know I could have went heavier but again, my form is questionable, imo.

DLs are like anything else, the more you do them the better they’ll feel. just make sure you pack your lats and brace your core and you’re 95% there.

record your self and form check. make necessary adjustments

When I step on the stage, I do it without baby oil.
yeshrug.png

"Some level of lifting" is the only thing that matters for me.
ld.png
fyi I didnt tan or oil up last show lol

Somebody said something about posing a couple of pages back.... you just gotta devote your time after or before or just make a seperate day just to perfect your technique when it comes to posing. Having a posing coach also helps.... you can look at youtube videos all day but that only does so much.

DLs are like anything else, the more you do them the better they’ll feel. just make sure you pack your lats and brace your core and you’re 95% there.

record your self and form check. make necessary adjustments
I watched myself and felt like my back was straight and it didn't hurt outside of a little lower back soreness (which I feel is normal) but then I see people who look like they're lifting with all legs and makes me question my form :lol:

Back
Top Bottom