STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

bodybuilders are not athletes? you don't give yourself enough credit.
I'm not a bodybuilder and have never said I was.
ufdup.png

And even if I was a BBer, no, to me they are not athletes just like race car drivers aren't.

powerlifter ≠ athlete?

I powerlift because I am not athletic. I don't need to run, jump, shoot, swim, dive, juke, etc. All I need to do is squat, bench, and dead one time. It's not limiting to certain body types or training methodologies or lifestyles.

PLing only requires enough athleticism for you to get your muscles to fire on command, which is almost none at all. PLing is not an Olympic sport. I have never left a competition and said, hmm, I need to be more athletic for the next one.

I go to the gym and lift. I don't do jumps or hoop or squat on the balls of my feet.
usure.png
Not diminishing PLers or the "sport", I just don't consider them athletes.
So no, PLer/powerbuilder ≠ athlete.
yeshrug.png

I powerlift because I am not athletic. I don't need to run, jump, shoot, swim, dive, juke, etc. All I need to do is squat, bench, and dead one time. It's not limiting to certain body types or training methodologies or lifestyles.

PLing only requires enough athleticism for you to get your muscles to fire on command, which is almost none at all. PLing is not an Olympic sport. I have never left a competition and said, hmm, I need to be more athletic for the next one.

I go to the gym and lift. I don't do jumps or hoop or squat on the balls of my feet.
usure.png
Not diminishing PLers or the "sport", I just don't consider them athletes.
So no, PLer/powerbuilder ≠ athlete.
yeshrug.png

could there be some easy gains by improving those abilities?while powerlifting may not require the obvious markers of athleticism, being able to co-contract/coordinate muscles & move substantial weights (especially w/deadlifts & squats) can transfer/translate to better movement in general and vice versa for that matter…anecdotally, and there is for sure my own bias, it seems like there are a bunch uber athletic powerlifters outchea, so it isn’t mutually exclusive obviously as many do come to powerlifting from other sports

could there be some easy gains by improving those abilities?while powerlifting may not require the obvious markers of athleticism, being able to co-contract/coordinate muscles & move substantial weights (especially w/deadlifts & squats) can transfer/translate to better movement in general and vice versa for that matter…anecdotally, and there is for sure my own bias, it seems like there are a bunch uber athletic powerlifters outchea, so it isn’t mutually exclusive obviously as many do come to powerlifting from other sports

Maybe. There are surely gains to be made to sticking with PL-specific training though.

Instead of doing random XF-type ish and hoping it transfers over into something like better intramuscular coordination for powerlifting, you could do something with ~100% carryover and save yourself the extra time and effort.

As for the uber athletic PLers out there, that is somewhat irrelevant. There are a bunch of uber athletic football players that were better athletes than football players and they never made an impact in the league because of it. Everyone ITT knows of at least one uber athlete that failed to make it their given sport.

Just because said folks are athletic (the PLers) doesn't mean that athleticism is derived from their training; some folks are naturally more athletic than others. I'd look at the training regimen of top 'natty' PLers and see what percentage of their training is dedicated to specifically improving athleticism.

And not to be a **** (because this is all for the purposes of discussion), but also anecdotally, I don't train for any type of athleticism and from what I understand you do. You can backflip and hoop and do all sorts of stuff I can't and I prolly can't even touch rim from a standstill. And yet if we both step on the platform today we both know what time it is, even though you outweigh me and might have been lifting longer than I have.

Strength is a skill and powerlifting is a sport, so it's training still requires a certain amount of specificity.
yeshrug.png

😂 seriously tho, rhythm is an underrated quality/skill, and definitely helps some parts of the central nervous system in terms of movement & proprioception
Seriously though... practicing helps myself... and all of us... alleviate our nervousness and shame when the lights are on.

That is why the more we practice... the less nervous we are... to perform or move out of rhythm when the lights are on.

Last edited:
Maybe. There are surely gains to be made to sticking with PL-specific training though.

Instead of doing random XF-type ish and hoping it transfers over into something like better intramuscular coordination for powerlifting, you could do something with ~100% carryover and save yourself the extra time and effort.

As for the uber athletic PLers out there, that is somewhat irrelevant. There are a bunch of uber athletic football players that were better athletes than football players and they never made an impact in the league because of it. Everyone ITT knows of at least one uber athlete that failed to make it their given sport.

Just because said folks are athletic (the PLers) doesn't mean that athleticism is derived from their training; some folks are naturally more athletic than others. I'd look at the training regimen of top 'natty' PLers and see what percentage of their training is dedicated to specifically improving athleticism.

And not to be a **** (because this is all for the purposes of discussion), but also anecdotally, I don't train for any type of athleticism and from what I understand you do. You can backflip and hoop and do all sorts of stuff I can't and I prolly can't even touch rim from a standstill. And yet if we both step on the platform today we both know what time it is, even though you outweigh me and might have been lifting longer than I have.

Strength is a skill and powerlifting is a sport, so it's training still requires a certain amount of specificity.
yeshrug.png

makes sense, i could be using my own lens to evaluate what counts as athleticism…still think powerlifting, similar to olympic lifting, requires some athleticism; tho as you the specificity of the sport probably precludes most powerlifters doing much of anything else if they weren’t already doing the else

yea you’d surely wash me in terms of being on the platform, i can’t have been lifting longer than you tho? not that it matters as i don’t really train/workout in a way that to maximize for any lift, i just got started in 2021 when gyms reopened & their basketball courts were turned into makeshift cardio spaces 😂 at which point i figured midas whale learn how to lift 🤣🤣🤣 which led me to seeking out how to also address a prior achilles injury w/squatting

makes sense, i could be using my own lens to evaluate what counts as athleticism…still think powerlifting, similar to olympic lifting, requires some athleticism; tho as you the specificity of the sport probably precludes most powerlifters doing much of anything else if they weren’t already doing the else

yea you’d surely wash me in terms of being on the platform, i can’t have been lifting longer than you tho? not that it matters as i don’t really train/workout in a way that to maximize for any lift, i just got started in 2021 when gyms reopened & their basketball courts were turned into makeshift cardio spaces 😂 at which point i figured midas whale learn how to lift 🤣🤣🤣 which led me to seeking out how to also address a prior achilles injury w/squatting

I figured you had been in the gym for a lil minute.
hubie.png

Maybe PLing does require athleticism and I just don't see it because I don't consider myself to be athletic or an athlete.

The difference in Oly vs powerlifting is that Oly lifting requires speed, strength/power, and proprioception/spatial awareness. It is very dynamic and if your speed under the bar isn't sufficient, your lift will fail at certain points whereas PLing only requires you move the weight continuously back up; if the concentric portion takes 10 seconds, it takes 10 seconds.

Josh would have a better handle on all this than I do I'll kick rocks.
hubie.png

Went back to 2 hours and 30 min of cardio and it was a struggle. Im in the secondary phase of a bout with asthma triggered by the flu. Im starting steroids and sucralfate tomorrow. Cant be out here coughing and scaring people like I got covid. :smh:

I think the definition of athleticism is somehow misunderstood for something like what CrossFit is trying to accomplish. I believe that athleticism can be specific according to what discipline the person is trying to accomplish. not necessarily the person has to be flexible and can do all things at a certain standard. I would call that more skilled but does that make one more athletic? anyway, just saying that you guys shouldn't sell yourself short regardless if your category of discipline is concentrated on PL et. al. embrace it. besides, all of us are different but that doesn't make one non-athletic.

this guy for example is a verbal gymnast.

Man I swear everyone getting sick

I’m in the middle of a nasty cold virus or some ****

Still pumped out a back day tho 👀

But the first couple days I was wiped thee **** out
Same. I knew it was bad when I hit the weights before hitting the heavy bag/pads and I was gassed. Whole workout was a struggle, felt like I had something heavy on my chest.

tokes99 tokes99 I’m also surprised you only started lifting a couple years ago.

I don’t know a lot of cats almost 50 yrs old pulling 4 wheels and doing backflips between sets that just started lifting 🤣

🧐 i just made 42 last week, jeeez don't age me to 50 prematurely brav! 😂 😮‍💨

i think it's more to do with just staying active, primarily hooping but also lots bicycling & walking too...w/a motorcycle as my primary mode of transport i don't get much easy lounge time in commutes 😂😂😂

after staying out of gym w/a slight cold last week after that 7 consecutive day stint, back at the this morning w/a deadlift pr 510 x 4! maybe it's just old man skrenff kicking in 🤷🏿‍♂️

That’s the key man, staying active.

I willingly became a laborer at work which some see as a step down. sitting in machines and trucks all day will destroy you. All the laborers look way better than the operators they look soft af and are portly.

What’s your daily 🏍️?

fasho, finding a way to be active, ideally w/an enjoyable activity, is a high key cheat code...

2008 cbr 600rr, maybe the easiest of the 'modern' 600s to ride 😎

That’s the key man, staying active.

I willingly became a laborer at work which some see as a step down. sitting in machines and trucks all day will destroy you. All the laborers look way better than the operators they look soft af and are portly.

What’s your daily 🏍️?

Getting active and staying active is key.

*Blessed* Grandpa Tank Top Master Tank Top Master putting all these young pups at work to shame. And the old man skrenf ain't even activate like Wonder Twin powers yet.
QbadP.png

The young folks already hurt, torn up, some can't pass a waist tape or physical fitness test to save their momma's life.

Tfw when Top Master gets called up and put in the operational game cause these youngins are out on IR.
shaq.png

Honda boys. :pimp:

Never sell that bike, that’s a raw sport bike. The new ones have so much tech.

bought it with ≈ 3400mi…almost @67k now 😮‍💨, she a workhorse for real! final form is probably a panigale if i find a good deal that coincides w/finances being up 🥲😮‍💨😅

Man I swear everyone getting sick

I’m in the middle of a nasty cold virus or some ****

Still pumped out a back day tho 👀

But the first couple days I was wiped thee **** out

Im gonna try for 3 Gi and 1 No Gi class this week but I feel like I should send out a warning or something. I will be coughing but its not contagious. Took another covid test, itd negative. Wife got sick as well and shes negative.

20231023_212442.jpg

bought it with ≈ 3400mi…almost @67k now 😮‍💨, she a workhorse for real! final form is probably a panigale if i find a good deal that coincides w/finances being up 🥲😮‍💨😅

67k is nuts :pimp:

My boy had a panigale for a bit this summer before he sold it. One of the best sounding bikes I’ve ever heard.

Getting active and staying active is key.

*Blessed* Grandpa Tank Top Master Tank Top Master putting all these young pups at work to shame. And the old man skrenf ain't even activate like Wonder Twin powers yet.
QbadP.png

The young folks already hurt, torn up, some can't pass a waist tape or physical fitness test to save their momma's life.

Tfw when Top Master gets called up and put in the operational game cause these youngins are out on IR.
shaq.png

My grandpa always says when you stop moving it’s hard to start again.

This dude plays tennis every day like he’s got money on the line. He blew out his shoulder diving for the ball because “he had to show these losers how you play”

The way he looks at it he’d rather tear some stuff here and they than be some weak old dude on the couch. Can’t say I disagree.

My grandpa always says when you stop moving it’s hard to start again.

This dude plays tennis every day like he’s got money on the line. He blew out his shoulder diving for the ball because “he had to show these losers how you play”

The way he looks at it he’d rather tear some stuff here and they than be some weak old dude on the couch. Can’t say I disagree.

Your grandpa outchea paying the Iron.
aqDwC.png

Back
Top Bottom