STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

man the last time i dunked was in 09. also haven’t even really hooped or therefore tried since sometime around there too so the washedness was beginning early just as a result of becoming more sedentary as life progressed. I am actually at or slightly under the same weight i was now after gaining and losing a whole hunnid a few times so it’d be an interesting endeavor to try to get where i can dunk again. I’d take more pride in that than getting my main lifts back to 6 plates, which is also a hella struggle except on deadlifts. But admittedly I dont care as much about the ego boost of the # as the aesthetics of nolongerfatassery

I know this topic has come up multiple times but what shoes do yall like to deadlift and squat in. I usually go with socks but I never liked the idea of taking my shoes off at the gym so I’m debating on buying some cheap vans or converse.

man the last time i dunked was in 09. also haven’t even really hooped or therefore tried since sometime around there too so the washedness was beginning early just as a result of becoming more sedentary as life progressed. I am actually at or slightly under the same weight i was now after gaining and losing a whole hunnid a few times so it’d be an interesting endeavor to try to get where i can dunk again. I’d take more pride in that than getting my main lifts back to 6 plates, which is also a hella struggle except on deadlifts. But admittedly I dont care as much about the ego boost of the # as the aesthetics of nolongerfatassery

if you build up the reps in a sensible manner you probably could get up, what messes most up is that they stop doing things & then go too all out & snap something up but if you never stop you get a longer runway, i follow this cat on ig 40yo+ & 300lbs+, still floatin’

I know this topic has come up multiple times but what shoes do yall like to deadlift and squat in. I usually go with socks but I never liked the idea of taking my shoes off at the gym so I’m debating on buying some cheap vans or converse.

yea i just lift in socks…i’ve actually been offered fellow lifters old lifting shoes on multiple occasions (maybe that is a sign of some sort 😮‍💨😅😂) but i can’t really justify putting another pair of shoes in my jym bag…

the thing with usual suspects of blazers, chucks, vans is that altho they are flat they also are quite narrow, technically if you really were wanting to maximize your deadlift & squat output you’d want a flat thin soled shoe & an elevated heel shoe for each of those lifts respectively. ideally the shoes would also be wider to allow the foot to splay out too, most shoes that you see on folk in the gym are too elevated, have too much of a drop (i.e. are not flat), too squishy, &/or too narrow; usually a combination of the aforementioned

Working out in a legit bodybuilding gym for the next 2-weeks.. 1st time in the environment. The machines are mind blowing to me

IMG_7796.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7795.jpeg
    IMG_7795.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 521
Metcons for deadlifts and romaleo 2 or 4 for squatting

I just got the metcon 9 and they’re great all around gym shoes.
I had the 7 and 8 versions and those are better for deadlifting, not that you can’t dl in the 9s.
The toe area in the older versions are a bit wider for better foot splay
FWIW I have an average foot width, low arch

Used to use lifting shoes, then lifted in socks. Now I'm using boxing shoes cuz I just got some new ones so I use my old ones for squat/deadlift day

Has anyone used the adidas dropset 3 for lifting? any info?

I do, i actually liked it more than the metcon 9.

The metcon 9 felt squishier and less breathable than the dropset 3. Heel slip is still an issue, although not as prevalent, still enough to be annoying.

Dropset 3 is breathable, light, sole is wide and pretty firm, without being TOO firm, if that makes sense. I can deadlift 400+ in it without feeling the sole compress like I did with the metcon 9s.

Grip was similar on both.

Only positive I saw with the Metcon 9 was the outrigger on the outside forefoot.

In an effort to stay young, I simply try to do what young people do.

Below is a video of me this morning swinging on the swings at the playground.

Sometimes I run up the slide, hang on the monkey bars, and just simply "play."

I feel like simple play has a positive psychological effect on the mind and a positive physiological effect on the body.

No pressure.

Another solid open day of beating up white and blue belts.....before throwing my back out. It's the mid back today. I made a joke to my coach about starting a geriatrics only training class. I can hang with the younger guys but it comes at a price.

Last edited:
Especially if the you guns are newish to bjj
They’re squirrels and don’t really know what they’re doing, relying on strength.
I just let them gas out or panic, then apply pressure and watch them lose consciousness before tapping

Especially if the you guns are newish to bjj
They’re squirrels and don’t really know what they’re doing, relying on strength.
I just let them gas out or panic, then apply pressure and watch them lose consciousness before tapping

I play the game very technical but I've been stretching my mobility to the limits lately, inverting, too much guard play from my back, it all hurts. And some of these spazzy white belts are strong as hell so sometimes I need to just abandon what I'm doing and use brute strength to control them.

Worked on power passes all week which is a bit of a strong man game, it probably didn't help my back sprawling down to lock each leg before passing.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend me a good fitness watch, thanks in advance

i just use my AW ultra now but i used to have a Whoop. it’s not a watch but it damn near any metric you could ask for. the UI is nice and simple to read too

i just got tired of paying for the monthly during lockdown when i was hardly working out :lol:

Back
Top Bottom