STAY/GET BACK IN SHAPE VOL 3.0 -- A New Niketalk = A New Thread

Lol I screwed my lower back all the way up seems like it's started feeling weirder since I've been at work. Hopefully I can at least do rows and lat pulls, I'll hold off on squats and deads for a week or two

what kinda insurance you got? Holler at a chiropractor.... you can seem them for your reg copay as you would with any other doctor visit. I go to one for my knee and while I'm there I'm able to get massages as an included part of visit, plus he "aligns" my back for me. It helps he's athletic too, so next time I go I'm going to have him demonstrate how to do proper form for squats and how to run w/o exacerbating the injury.

My knee has been straight but I miss soccer and riding my bike :frown: Swimming is real cool tho, even when my knee gets better I'll keep it in my arsenal.

I like what you're bringing to the thread bwood056 bwood056 with the progress pix and now vids, the contributions are a good break between all of the bickering lol.

so I have a question for you guys....how long is your typical gym session? start to finish...I hear all the stuff trainers say about anything over 45-60 min is bad and blah blah blah, but I can't seem to get out of there in under 2 hrs. Like, I'm not fried in 45 minutes. hence why I have the energy to continue giving 100% for another hour and a quarter. I typically go 3-4 days in a row, 145-2hr each. No problem. And no, I'm not getting my bike on, hell currently I'm not on any supps at all, no whey, no creatine, no pwo, etc. not even a multi. Just fish oil. And my friends do it as well, and i dont think any of them have cns issues, they may be taking supps though to help them along idk. But still, what are your schedules looking like?

45 mins to an hour... depends on if I swim for 30 or 20 minutes. I usually "weight train" for 30 minutes no matter what. I go after work so and I usually get outta there cuz I know I still have things to do once I get home. On saturdays I may stay a little longer, something closer to 1:20, 1:30.

Great back and bicep session.

Ended it out with 30 minutes cardio

Dinner was some grilled pork tenderloin that has been marinading all night w/ brown rice and green beans.

oh lawd da gainz :nthat:

Taking the entire week off to completely recharge my batteries and let my body get some much needed rest. Last several weeks have been stressful and it's been affecting my workouts as well. Gonna get a new routine set up and get back in there next week and wreck shop!

^
first time playing and I really enjoy it, plus I hate letting my team down by not playing--- it's rec league/not too serious but still....

come spring I should be good to go though !

Im hitting my core harddd today.

I hurt my back too on Friday. never hurt myself while deadlifting before until that day.

But now im 90% healed... I recover from injuries quick.

was DL 345 Raw.

Going to probably invest in a belt as well.

What is that?

Whats funny is im money with DL, squats have always been my issue. Did you still workout while hurt or what? I cant sit out a week man. I`ll just ignore my legs all together and once it feels better do leg press and stuff until I buy a belt later.

I forget what all I did last time this happened, i dont remember if I just didnt go to the gym or what.

Now I`m depressed brahs, brb sending my girl to go pick me up some chick fil a :smh:

If its really hurting that bad just think.. would you rather sit out a week or 2 now, or 6 months later on..

and lucky just ice/ heat / stretch / foam roll .. lay on the floor on your back for like an hr. It might just be sore no need to go to the doctor yet. go after a few days or a week or something

will squatting with a wide stance (significantly wider than shoulder width) hurt any potential improvements in vertical? when you jump you adopt a narrower stance, so it seems like a wide stance squat doesn't translate well into the jumping movement, but i'd appreciate if someone with more expertise/knowledge could give their opinion

I like what you're bringing to the thread bwood056 bwood056 with the progress pix and now vids, the contributions are a good break between all of the bickering lol.

so I have a question for you guys....how long is your typical gym session? start to finish...I hear all the stuff trainers say about anything over 45-60 min is bad and blah blah blah, but I can't seem to get out of there in under 2 hrs. Like, I'm not fried in 45 minutes. hence why I have the energy to continue giving 100% for another hour and a quarter. I typically go 3-4 days in a row, 145-2hr each. No problem. And no, I'm not getting my bike on, hell currently I'm not on any supps at all, no whey, no creatine, no pwo, etc. not even a multi. Just fish oil. And my friends do it as well, and i dont think any of them have cns issues, they may be taking supps though to help them along idk. But still, what are your schedules looking like?
I usually lift for about an hour, so if you add in warm-up, mobility, cool-down, and flirting with cute girls, I'm usually in the gym for around an hour and a half to two.

My gym sessions are usually 90-120 minutes long. That includes rolling, and stretching after lifting.

As for core training, I got suggested by one of the dudes at the gym to start it. I told him how my lower back would be tight once I started hitting 3+ plates on Squats. He just told me to start training abs as well as lower back.

Dude is a monster too. Said he has a pinched nerve, but Squats 4+ plates with only knee wraps.

Also, be careful as to who you ask for spots, guys. Some dudes don't watch your form, and just let you do the exercise wrong. Saw a guy tweak something in his back tonight, because his "spotter" didn’t keep him from leaning forward on Squats.
I don't think that's really the role of the "spotter." If I ask some random guy in the gym to spot me, I'm not expecting him to comment on my form. Maintaining proper form is my own responsibility. Furthermore, when I spot someone, I generally bite my tongue and avoid giving out constructive criticism unless they ask for it. I've found that you run into a lot of resistance when you try and comment in the gym. It's easier to avoid the confrontation that results. Furthermore, if I commented everytime I saw someone doing something stupid in the gym, I'd never get any work done. That said, I guess if your spotter is your day-to-day workout partner, it would make sense to evaluate each other's form.

Changed up my chest workout as well. I used to start with flat bench.

Did Incline Bench for the first serious time today. Went light with 135 to gauge my strength, and did about 8 Sets of 5 with it.

Did fast DB Press as well... how do you guys lean back easily with the DBs? Maybe cause my abs were sore, but it was difficult.
Set the DBs on your knees/lower thighs and sit back down to the bench. Rock back on your back while kicking your knees up. This should get you set. There are youtube videos showing this. I'd imagine you'd fine a lot by searching "dumbbell bench set-up" or something along those lines.

will squatting with a wide stance (significantly wider than shoulder width) hurt any potential improvements in vertical? when you jump you adopt a narrower stance, so it seems like a wide stance squat doesn't translate well into the jumping movement, but i'd appreciate if someone with more expertise/knowledge could give their opinion
Not exactly sure how the wider stance would affect you in terms of musculature you're training, but from a common sense point of view, why would you squat in a wider stance when the narrower stance would be more applicable to your athletic goals?

I'm not really that knowledgable about lifting. I just do it.

I took like an hour and made a new routine yesterday. I don't want to take the time going to the gym anymore. I bought a barbell, dbs, and some weights so I can workout at home.

You guys know a lot more than me. Can any of you guys help me out and give me your opinion? I tried to hit every major body part twice. 

Day 1: Chest/Triceps/Cardio

6 workouts + 30 minutes of cardio

Flat Barbell/DB Press(3x10)

Incline Barbell/DB Press(3x10)

Flat Dumbbell Flys(3x10)

Incline Dumbbell Flys(3x10)

Skull Crushers(3x10)

Dips(25 total)

Day 2: Biceps/Back/Shoulders/Cardio

Hammer Curl(3x10)

Incline Hammer Curl(3x10)

Barbell Curl(3x10)

Deadlifts(3x10)

Dumbbell Shoulder Press(3x10)

Pullups(25 total)

Day 3: Shoulders/Legs/Cardio

Front Raise (3x10)

Side Laterals (3x10)

Rear Laterals(3x10)

Squats(3x10)

Box Jumps(40 total)

Lateral Hops(3 minutes)

Day 4: Rest

Day 5: Chest/Triceps/Legs/Cardio

Flat Barbell/DB Press(3x10)

Incline Barbell/DB Press(3x10)

Flat Dumbbell Flys(3x10)

Skullcrushers(3x10)

Squats(3x10)

Dips(25 total)

Day 6: Back/Biceps/Cardio

Deadlifts(3x10)

Bent Over Barbell Row(3x10)

Hammer Curl(3x10)

Incline Hammer Curl(3x10)

Barbell Curl(3x10)

Pullups(25 total)

Day 7: Rest

Last edited:
@timbo109

I understand what you're saying, but if somebody ends up tweaking their back on Squats while you're "spotting" em... Ehh.

I don't comment on people's form, and such for the most apart due to what you said. You'll get a lot of people who wouldn't be willing to at least listen.

As for rocking back with the DBs, I tried the way you said it. Maybe because my abs are still sore, but it was a struggle.

Last edited:
Back feeling way better, copped some Motrin and Icy Hot strip for my back, looking up some Sports Chiropractors right now.

What are your goals and where are your lifts currently?
Been lifting for about 5 months. Currently, for my reg workouts, I do 120lbs 3x10  flat bb bench press, haven't tried squats much but I think I can comfortably put up 175 for reps.

Goal is just to get aesthetic & lean. Strength would be second to that.

Last edited:
Man i don't know what is wrong with my left groin but its all sorts of irritating. Its fine once i warm up. And i have been running on it with no pain. But it is sore through out the day lifting my left leg up. I haven't done legs in a week because of it and im starting to get anxious about it. I am terrible at resting. I think today im going to try and do some light squats to see how it reacts. But no lunges or deads since that will strain the area worse.

Lucky P, I'd suggest doing something like starting strength yo build up your lifts quickly. Once you get your lifts up you can switch over to a more hypertrophy oriented program like the one you posted .

Also make sure you're on top of your diet

Day two and 3 seem very odd to me.

Shoulders back to back?

Day two just looks like a bunch of bicep work.

Back work> bicep work.

Not exactly sure how the wider stance would affect you in terms of musculature you're training, but from a common sense point of view, why would you squat in a wider stance when the narrower stance would be more applicable to your athletic goals?

Well from what I read online and what I can tell when I do the movement a wider stance uses less quads and more glutes/hamstring/hips. I'm not flexible to squat ATG while keeping a straight back with a narrower stance (I think it's mainly my ankles that are too tight), so my options are squat to parallel using a shoulder width stance or use a wider stance and squat deeper. I'm working on it and eventually I should be flexible enough to squat either way, but for now I was considering going with a wide stance and that's why I asked.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a wider stance limit your range of motion more than a narrow stance. At least that's how it is for me.

Either way, sounds like you need to do some mobility work

Shoulders back to back?

Back work> bicep work.
Yeah also I would always start your session with a compound movement. For example on back day, I would do deadlifts first because they take the most out of you and can hurt yourself  with improper form from being tired. The same goes for squat and flat BB bench, do them first.

Since you want to do every part twice a week, I do this too, I would try a Push/Pull/Legs. Its simple and effective and emphasizes the use of the barbell which will lead you to all kinda of gains.

Last edited:
What are your goals and where are your lifts currently?
Been lifting for about 5 months. Currently, for my reg workouts, I do 120lbs 3x10  flat bb bench press, haven't tried squats much but I think I can comfortably put up 175 for reps.

Goal is just to get aesthetic & lean. Strength would be second to that.

Go try squat 175 for ur first time. Tell us how it goes.

Shoulders back to back?

Back work> bicep work.

U go 6 days right?

Post your muscle group schedule.

Like day 1: chest n tri's etc......

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a wider stance limit your range of motion more than a narrow stance. At least that's how it is for me.

Either way, sounds like you need to do some mobility work
I use a wider stance most of the time because I feel more stable. Im still able to go past parallel with no problems.

Bar placement also plays a role, where at on your back are you placing the bar?  il prescelto

Last edited:
Day 1. Chest/tri/core

Day 2. Back/ bi/ core

Day 3. Shoulders/ traps/ core

Day 4. Legs/ core

Day 5. Chest/tri/core

Day 6. Back/ light bi/ shoulders

Day 7. Off day, but usually do sprints on a hill at an incline for leg work. Only spend about 30-40 min there.

All of my core exercises are direct core - and also core movements while performing "HIT".

Back
Top Bottom