Terence Crutcher murdered by cops in Tulsa, Oklahoma

that fb feed was lit!! 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

meth infinity reps!!! 
nthat.gif
nthat.gif

Last edited:
Anger, in this situation, is more than just "understandable."  If this doesn't make you angry, there's something wrong.  

That said, some statements made in anger express sentiments that, I feel, are counterproductive - not because they fail to coddle or comfort - but because they accept a false and destructive narrative about race.  

One user, for example, posted, "The Caucasoid's are a genetic abnormality. They hate us because we're superior in every aspect."  Beyond the obvious - that any suggestion that a racial group is inferior is, by definition, in violation of our community rules - this type of argument is less an inversion of White Supremacist ideology than an acceptance of its basic tenets.

Out of respect for the finite patience of this thread's participants, I won't go into great detail in unpacking all such issues with this sort of claim - but we can start, very briefly, with the use of "Caucasoid" in and of itself.  

The term "caucasian" is rooted in the psuedoscience of phrenology.   Specifically, it was popularized by Johann Friedrich Blumenbach, whose five proposed racial categories proved highly enduring, influential, and toxic.  There's a thread about him on NT, actually, though posts from that era have screwed up formatting.  I believe I replied to this one as well, since the topic post oversimplified matters.  http://niketalk.com/t/272309/the-man-who-started-it-all-johann-friedrich-blumenbach

The short of it is this:  genetically speaking, human beings are 99.9% identical.  Race is a social construct.  It would be simpler and more meaningful to typologize humans on the basis of tooth shape or predisposition to sickle cell anemia than on the loosely affiliated bundle of traits that currently constitute "race."  

As Audre Lorde so famously noted, the master's tools will never destroy the master's house.  If you say "White people are genetically inferior" or "White people are genetically predisposed to violence," you're validating the trope that's been used as the basis for White privilege.  It's the same when people talk about Black athletes and "fast twitch muscle fiber."  Even if the intention is to frame something in a way that posits Whiteness as a genetic liability, the real antidote - and the scientific reality - is not that "the White race" is bad, it's that the "White race" is nothing but an excuse for oppression.  It's an excuse to colonize.  It's an excuse to enslave.  It's an excuse to delineate "us" from "them" based on a small number of observable traits that have proven increasingly atomized and preposterous with each generation.  (See the concept of "passing", the staggering variety of racial categories used in Brazil and elsewhere, etc.)  

I get that people like to cite the Isis Papers, Melanin Theory, etc. and use that as an inversion against the narrative of White Supremacy, but it plays into the hands of racists by accepting their framing of racial differences as "real" and "biological."   

Today's ignorant "alt right" racist refuses to accept science and historical fact, and wishes instead to perpetuate the myth of "racial realism" as the bedrock of White Nationalism.  

They WANT it framed as an "us vs. them" conflict.  They WANT to see people demonize ALL White people so they can say "we're under attack."  They want to claim that they're the ones being threatened and victimized. 

If racists were forced to accept the fact that race is a social construct and ALL human beings are over 99% genetically identical, it would be impossible for them to justify the brutal injustices that are committed each day to police these artificial boundaries that do not delineate significant biological difference, but unmerited social privilege.  

It's White privilege that should be under scrutiny and under attack.  Claims of White genetic inferiority are rooted in the same bad science as claims of White genetic superiority. 

(See Henry Louis Gates' famous essay, "Race as the Trope of the World.")

I'm hoping this pitfall can be avoided moving forward and appreciate everyone's support and cooperation in ensuring that our community remains safe, welcoming, and respectful.  

Not to detract from the thread (there aren't words to describe how the conversation is already shifting from Terrence Crutcher to Keith Lamont Scottt :smh: )

But my pops comes from a country where the powers at be WANT divide and he recently gave in and started saying OD racist stuff about the other side, and I told him this is exactly what they want.

That and the social climate here led me to jot this in my pad:

Once you let your heart get consumed with hate, you stop being your own King, and become a pawn on someone else's chessboard.

Last edited:
This stuff doesn't surprise me. Look at the country's track record. Very curious to see how the officer will be dealt with.

Another reason why they hate us

"When the topic of the Moorish influence in Europe is being discussed, one of the first questions that arises is, what race were they?

As early as the Middle Ages, “Moors were commonly viewed as being mostly black or very swarthy, and hence the word is often used for negro,” according to the Oxford English Dictionary.

Author and historian Chancellor Williams said “the original Moors, like the original Egyptians, were black Africans.”

"Although generations of Spanish rulers have tried to expunge this era from the historical record, recent archeology and scholarship now shed fresh light on the Moors who flourished in Al-Andalus for more than 700 years – from 711 AD until 1492. The Moorish advances in mathematics, astronomy, art, and agriculture helped propel Europe out of the Dark Ages and into the Renaissance."

http://atlantablackstar.com/2013/10/07/when-black-men-ruled-the-world-moors/

"The Spanish occupation by the Moors began in 711 AD when an African army, under their leader Tariq ibn-Ziyad, crossed the Strait of Gibraltar from northern Africa and invaded the Iberian peninsula ‘Andalus' (Spain under the Visigoths).

A European scholar sympathetic to the Spaniards remembered the conquest in this way:
a. [T]he reins of their (Moors) horses were as fire, their faces black as pitch, their eyes shone like burning candles, their horses were swift as leopards and the riders fiercer than a wolf in a sheepfold at night . . ."

"The Moors, who ruled Spain for 800 years, introduced new scientific techniques to Europe, such as an astrolabe, a device for measuring the position of the stars and planets. Scientific progress in Astronomy, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Geography and Philosophy flourished in Moorish Spain"

http://www.blackhistorystudies.com/resources/resources/15-facts-on-the-moors-in-spain/

View media item 2173289View media item 2173290
http://www.nairaland.com/1965498/paintings-moors-europe

#Facts
#BlackExcellence
#whatthempeopledontwantyoutoknow

So Dominicans are black?

Where you think those Dominicans came from? Hell, all of the caribbeans for that matter. We all from the same place (mostly west Africa), just different boat stops/wrecks.

It's dark times when i'd much rather have a sneaker forum administrator be the commander and chief over either parties candidate.

Wise words and actions. Props Meth.

The fact that there is a video makes this much more powerful. Like this appears to be a black and white situation. So if nothing comes out of this, i dont know what it would take.

Video doesn't matter. Body cams don't matter. It's clear that nothing is gonna stop this anymore.

Black brothers and sisters have the most powerful dollar in America. That's the only way to get this **** to stop.

Today I made out a check for $10,000 to the Equal Justice Initiative.  It's really not in the budget, but that doesn't matter right now.  Sentiments, sympathy, and platitudes are not enough.  This racist presumption of guilt MUST end - and that clearly isn't going to happen on its own.  

Why EJI?  Imagine if Terence Crutcher hadn't been killed - but was instead imprisoned for dubious reasons.  People lose their freedom, their futures, and their very lives due to biases in the criminal justice system - and it is presumed, because of those biases, that they are uniformly deserving of whatever penalties that system metes out.    

For that reason, we support the Equal Justice Initiative.   They work to help those whose mistreatment (whether prejudiced by race, class, sexuality, or religion) at the hands of the criminal justice system might otherwise be ignored.  Theirs are the lives we can still save.

A more formal announcement of the donation will wait until I've received confirmation of its receipt, but, for now, I wanted to call attention to the work the EJI is doing on behalf of those whose names we may never know - whether their lives are ended abruptly by a gun, or bled from them one day at a time following the bang of a different sort of hammer.

There are a couple of other issues here I wanted to address - but I don't want to create a false equivalence, so I will add a separate reply later on.  

Put up a donation link and I'll gladly donate to recoup what was taken from the budget Meth, but your action alone is greatly appreciated. And I'm sure many don't really agree w/ the superior/inferior thing about "race" it's just so hard to put into words how to feel right now. I can honestly say that I'm tired, mentally and emotionally tired.

I felt her pain. I know she's been pulled over for simply driving a nice car.
Yep.

When she pointed at the co-hosts and said, "until YALL are black, you don't know what it feels like." And then pointed into the crowd. Yea man, I felt that

It's nothing else left to say at this point. I'm disgusted at how people continue to defend and make excuses for it.

A mans car broke down in the middle of the street and instead of aid, they brought him bullets. In exactly what situation can you trust the police?

Say he did take PCP, he just left a college classroom where no one felt unsafe. Funny in comparison to how the FSU face eating guy was reported. I knew what school he went to before anything else, not sure if what drug he was on was reported. Terrence literally just left his college course, no crime committed and I hear about the alleged PCP. I don't know if they realize how they demonize us like this is a huge part of the perception of these folks that never even interact with black people.

Say he did take PCP, he just left a college classroom where no one felt unsafe. Funny in comparison to how the FSU face eating guy was reported. I knew what school he went to before anything else, not sure if what drug he was on was reported. Terrence literally just left his college course, no crime committed and I hear about the alleged PCP. I don't know if they realize how they demonize us like this is a huge part of the perception of these folks that never even interact with black people.

I saw a guy defending the cops on CNN say it's guilt until proven innocent.

but a man was just given the death penalty.

and you're saying what he was on and how he was acting without toxicology reports.

They tried to say he was reaching in the car, but the window was up

Back
Top Bottom