The College Basketball Post

Problem is that people start rating potential NBA draft classes why too soon these days. Like when guys are high school juniors. High school prospects get so much hype now, they get labeled as disappointing when it's not clear they're going to be can't miss NBA stars.

That's been going on for the past 10+ years. Bron, Melo, Bassy, Lenny Cooke, etc.

Last edited:
The draft is above average.

2009 draft wasn't really looked upon as strong; looks pretty good now, Blake, Steph, Harden, Taj, 2nd rnd: Pat Bev, Danny Green, mills, budinger, thorton.

fact is we won't know for a while.

I don't know but was 2003 really viewed as a franchise changing draft (beyond lebron) at the time.

Last edited:
This is the issue. Years ago, there wasn't talk that early, even when it was obvious that the kid is NBA bound. There's too much money to be made by too many people for that now. 

I agree with the idea that AAU basketball is by and large responsible for accelerating this process. 

Its been like that for a LONG time now. NBA scouts were showing up to shoe camps as far back as 96

The draft is above average.

2009 draft wasn't really looked upon as strong; looks pretty good now, Blake, Steph, Harden, Taj, 2nd rnd: Pat Bev, Danny Green, mills, budinger, thorton.

fact is we won't know for a while.

I don't know but was 2003 really viewed as a franchise changing draft (beyond lebron) at the time.
What do you think? 
laugh.gif

This is the issue. Years ago, there wasn't talk that early, even when it was obvious that the kid is NBA bound. There's too much money to be made by too many people for that now. 

I agree with the idea that AAU basketball is by and large responsible for accelerating this process. 
Its been like that for a LONG time now. NBA scouts were showing up to shoe camps as far back as 96
That's still considered modern man. To clarify, when I say YEARS ago, I'm talking about people like Wilkins, Barkley, etc. Can you imagine if what is around now existed then? My stepfather told me a story about when 'Nique played a HS game in SC and he said word spread like wildfire and the gym was beyond packed. I doubt Dominique would have went to college in the current conditions, but back then there was very little AAU basketball and more camps that emphasized working on your individual skill in addition to playing games. Now it's just all travel and games with shoe reps watching.

The HS to the NBA jump used to be rare, now it happens every year. Now, to your point, scouts have been showing up earlier than 96. Their visibility has certainly increased since then though.

What do you think? 
laugh.gif
Its hard for me to imagine that people really believed that Wade, Bosh, even a Chris Kamasn, were going to be as good as they were.
Nobody was thinking about Chris Kaman. He turned out to be exactly what I thought he would be 
laugh.gif
. I think for the most part, everyone turned out to be expected from that class for the most part. Now I have to look at the rest of that class. I'm blanking on the rest. Joe Dumars done goofed tho 
laugh.gif

Dwyane Wade, the 2nd or 3rd, SG of all time? People really thought that, and undersized SG coming from marquette. I just can't believe that.

That skinny dude from georia tech? almost 10 time all star.

I was a young then, but it def didn't feel that way in Toronto when we drafted him.

who would you go with if you were them?

i think Smart is gonna be a bust, i just dont see it. cant shoot and can he create off the dribble? bc i didnt see it

Toss up between Wiggins and Embid. I'm more inclined to say Embiid.

2015 Twin towers. Their games compliment each other since AD is more of a face up guy and Embiid lives in the post. Wouldn't have to worry about lane clogging up. And defensively....good luck getting a shot off in the paint against those two.

That's still considered modern man. To clarify, when I say YEARS ago, I'm talking about people like Wilkins, Barkley, etc. Can you imagine if what is around now existed then? My stepfather told me a story about when 'Nique played a HS game in SC and he said word spread like wildfire and the gym was beyond packed. I doubt Dominique would have went to college in the current conditions, but back then there was very little AAU basketball and more camps that emphasized working on your individual skill in addition to playing games. Now it's just all travel and games with shoe reps watching.

The HS to the NBA jump used to be rare, now it happens every year. Now, to your point, scouts have been showing up earlier than 96. Their visibility has certainly increased since then though.

Actually its decreased. Rules don't allow for that anymore

Dwyane Wade, the 2nd or 3rd, SG of all time? People really thought that, and undersized SG coming from marquette. I just can't believe that.

I was a young then, but it def didn't feel that way in Toronto when we drafted him.

You're absolutely right, nobody thought it would play out that way.

Actually its decreased. Rules don't allow for that anymore
Ah ok, but I know at one point it was out of control. 

Dwyane Wade was still a relative unknown to the general fan back then. There damn sure wasnt anyone predicting him to be an all time great.

You couldn't see that per se. However, you saw flashes. Their games in college (outside of Lebron) showed potential of that. But that's the whole point of the draft. Potential plus how the organization cultivates that. But to look at it like them like what they have become was out of the realm of possibility is a stretch imo. Dudes like Tracy McGrady came out of nowhere during camps, that's a player where you go, I had no idea.

True, but the difference is now that the hype gets spread much faster and wider because there are many more media outlets/blogs reporting on prospects, posting video clips of games, etc. Sure, if you followed basketball closely in 1995, you knew who Kobe was while he was still in high school, but it wasn't the same as how Andrew Wiggins became a household name before he ever played a college game. So, you can say this stuff isn't new, but it has intensified in more recent years.

Dwyane Wade was still a relative unknown to the general fan back then. There damn sure wasnt anyone predicting him to be an all time great.
That's the beauty of it, there are a list of athletes across all sports that were like that. As I said, there's flashes of it while in college, but the person to notice it and cultivate it properly in the pros seems like a genius. 

True, but the difference is now that the hype gets spread much faster and wider because there are many more media outlets/blogs reporting on prospects, posting video clips of games, etc. Sure, if you followed basketball closely in 1995, you knew who Kobe was while he was still in high school, but it wasn't the same as how Andrew Wiggins became a household name before he ever played a college game. So, you can say this stuff isn't new, but it has intensified in more recent years.
That's impacted how the public perceive them. Not front offices. Hence why you have so many idiots ragging on kids because WorldStarHipHop said they were going to be the next Lebron and when they don't score 30 a game...then they're "overrated". Nothings changed much from an evaluation standpoint with scouts.

NBA Teams don't evaluate based on "hype". 

Last edited:
Melo just came off of leading 'Cuse to the 'ship as a freshman. He was definitely being looked at as a franchise cornerstone.

Bron? We already know.

Darko? Absolutely, in most everyone's eyes. He was supposed to be a transcendent player nobody had ever seen

Wade? Again, he came off a triple double in the Elite 8 over Kentucky and put a Marquette squad on his back to the Final 4.

Hell, even TJ Ford was looked at as turning the Bucks. He put Rick Barnes and Texas basketball on the map. Have we forgotten the baseline alley he caught that went viral?

I actually don't remember Bosh being looked at as the game changer he became but again, he went #4 for a reason.

That draft had lofty expectations and lived up to it (minus TJ with all the injuries).

Yea, that draft DEF had crazy hype. Maybe not in Canada, but certainly was receiving a lot of hype here. Don't know if people saw Wade as a potential top 3 SG ever, but he was drafted to be a franchise cornerstone for sure.

Melo just came off of leading 'Cuse to the 'ship as a freshman. He was definitely being looked at as a franchise cornerstone.

Bron? We already know.

Darko? Absolutely, in most everyone's eyes. He was supposed to be a transcendent player nobody had ever seen

Wade? Again, he came off a triple double in the Elite 8 over Kentucky and put a Marquette squad on his back to the Final 4.

Hell, even TJ Ford was looked at as turning the Bucks. He put Rick Barnes and Texas basketball on the map. Have we forgotten the baseline alley he caught that went viral?

I actually don't remember Bosh being looked at as the game changer he became but again, he went #4 for a reason.

That draft had lofty expectations and lived up to it (minus TJ with all the injuries).
yup

I was about to say, people thought highly of Wade because of the tourney even if they didn't see his whole body of work.

Nobody could have predicted his 08-09 peak but still.

The point im trying to make is 3 prospects MAXED out their ceilings.

If it happens with this draft it will considered an all time draft, if it doesn't it wont.

The quality of a draft historically can't really be juduged now, you have to look at it in a vaccum.

Back
Top Bottom