The College Basketball Post

Rudy Gay, Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, Caron Butler, Jeremy Lamb, Donyell Marshall off the top

Guess it depends on what they consider a wing. I'd consider Rip and Ray Allen as purely SG's, so maybe the "wing" list is more for SF? Donyell Marshall was before the time period of this ESPN rankings / article, which started with the 1996 college season. They also mention that it is based on a combination of All-America rankings and other awards, stats, draft picks, etc.

That all said, UConn hasn't really had that many AP All American wings since the 90's - Rudy Gay the only one. MSU has had quite a few more, especially more recently.

2018 MSU, Miles Bridges was a 2nd Team AP AA.
2016 MSU, Denzel Valentine was 1st Team and AP + NABC NPOY.
2012 MSU, Draymond Green was 1st Team + NABC NPOY
2001 MSU, Jason Richardson was 2nd Team
2000 MSU, Morris Peterson 2nd Team

2006 UCONN, Rudy Gay was 2nd Team AP AA
1999, UCONN, Rip Hamilton 1st Team - maybe a wing?
1998, UCONN, Rip Hamilton 2nd Team
1995, UCONN, Ray Allen 1st Team - maybe a wing

Guess it depends on what they consider a wing. I'd consider Rip and Ray Allen as purely SG's, so maybe the "wing" list is more for SF? Donyell Marshall was before the time period of this ESPN rankings / article, which started with the 1996 college season. They also mention that it is based on a combination of All-America rankings and other awards, stats, draft picks, etc.

That all said, UConn hasn't really had that many AP All American wings since the 90's - Rudy Gay the only one. MSU has had quite a few more, especially more recently.

Caron Butler probably deserves to be noted as well given he was Big East POY in the 2002, went to the Elite 8 where they lost to the eventual champs even though he dropped 32, averaged 20 PPG, and ended up a lottery pick.

I haven't heard that name since he was getting abused in the Drew league a few years ago . He got the most out of his talent in college for sure

He still played 36 games in the NBA this season. Ankle injury has really hampered his pro aspirations, especially considering that he isn't the most athletic dude. He might be done, depending on how long the NBA is done for.

Caron Butler probably deserves to be noted as well given he was Big East POY in the 2002, went to the Elite 8 where they lost to the eventual champs even though he dropped 32, averaged 20 PPG, and ended up a lottery pick.

Yep that list was just the AP All American teams, one of the factors ESPN used in their rankings. Even so, UConn has still had a pretty long drought of Wings over the last 15+ years (out of the ESPN 24 year ranking period). Rudy Gay was 16 years ago, and Caron Butler was 18 years ago.

Yep that list was just the AP All American teams, one of the factors ESPN used in their rankings. Even so, UConn has still had a pretty long drought of Wings over the last 15+ years (out of the ESPN 24 year ranking period). Rudy Gay was 16 years ago, and Caron Butler was 18 years ago.
Jeremy Lamb was good. 2nd leading scorer on a championship team as a freshman behind Kemba. Was a lotto pick.

That all said, UConn hasn't really had that many AP All American wings since the 90's - Rudy Gay the only one. MSU has had quite a few more, especially more recently. Yea turbo I was just talking overall not sticking to this ESPN list.

Like Matta said tho espn fumbled this big time...should’ve been so much better.

wings mean 2’s are included too. So also add Caron and Ben Gordon...I’m talking straight talent through the door. It’s not even close if we talking wings from both school.

wings mean 2’s are included too. So also add Caron and Ben Gordon...I’m talking straight talent through the door. It’s not even close if we talking wings from both school.
Or bigs.

PGs a good one though. Lots of talent!! Would still give it to UConn :pimp:

Not sure I agree. Draymond was better than Butler. Bridges better than Lamb. If you're adding pure 2's MSU adds Charlie Bell, Shawn Respert, Shannon Brown, Steve Smith, Gary Harris.

UConn definitely ahead in titles. Crazy run from 99-14.

has anyone watched the Scheme on HBO yet? documentary on Christian Dawkins and the college basketball "corruption" investigation

has anyone watched the Scheme on HBO yet? documentary on Christian Dawkins and the college basketball "corruption" investigation
No but I was just on a Zoom call with some of my boys from high school and one of them mentioned this and said it was really good. Might give it a watch today.

it's a good watch for sure

I paid little attention to the details at the time regarding the trial. I assumed the FBI's case was much different than it actually was

Fun fact: JJ heavily considered transferring to UT to go play w/ Brad Buckman after his sophomore year.

Then during the 1st week of Summer school, Coach K had JJ “kidnapped” off my living room couch and had him wrapped in nothing but a blanket, for a 2 hour meeting in his office. His “coming to God” moment - changed up his entire mentality and finally buckled down on his basketball career.

The rest is history :pimp:

Fun fact: JJ heavily considered transferring to UT to go play w/ Brad Buckman after his sophomore year.

Then during the 1st week of Summer school, Coach K had JJ “kidnapped” off my living room couch and had him wrapped in nothing but a blanket, for a 2 hour meeting in his office. His “coming to God” moment - changed up his entire mentality and finally buckled down on his basketball career.

The rest is history :pimp:
🐐 stories you had from those times.

JJ mentions on his podcast time to time how much of a fratboy he was his first two years at Duke.

Aston Hagans will turn pro and leave UK

Ohio State guard Luther Muhamad will transfer , hasn't came out with a list yet

Agree. This list was big trash on tons of levels. They listed players that ain’t even played pro yet.

The disrespect of no Zona for PGs is wild. Bibby, Terry, Mighty Mouse, Bayless....I’m sure I’m forgetting several

no sure how I forgot arenas

Last edited:
Agree. This list was big trash on tons of levels. They listed players that ain’t even played pro yet.

The disrespect of no Zona for PGs is wild. Bibby, Terry, Mighty Mouse, Bayless....I’m sure I’m forgetting several

no sure how I forgot arenas
Then you have college legends like Salim, Jason Gardner, Miles Simon - Lute really birthed Point Guard U.

Back
Top Bottom