The Dallas Cowboys ... vol. Wrap This Thing Up, Who To Draft?

Dallas Cowboys secondary coach Dave Campo said CB Alan Ball is currently considered the favorite for the starting free safety jobamong the players on the roster, reports Gerry Fraley, of The DallasMorning News.
YES!

Six Pack

A Closer Look At The Cowboys' 2010 Draft Class

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys' 2010 draft class issmall by historical standards - only three times in last 20 years hasthe franchise selected only six players.

But with a stable veteran roster returning next season, teamowner Jerry Jones sought quality over quantity. The Cowboys believe allsix - from first-round receiver Dez Bryant to seventh-round defensivelineman Sean Lissemore - can compete for jobs in training camp.

Here's a closer look at this year's group, which will arrive at Valley Ranch later this week for a three-day rookie mini-camp.

Dez Bryant
Wide Receiver, Oklahoma St.
6-2, 224
1st round (24th overall)

Who's He: The draft's most dynamic receiver prospectand a top-10 talent on the Cowboys' board. Jones saw three playersworth trading up from No. 27: Bryant, Texas safety Earl Thomas, Idahooffensive lineman Mike Iupati. Bryant fell far enough where the Cowboyscould trade up and still keep their second-round pick. Characterquestions, stemming from last year's NCAA suspension, dropped Bryant'sstock. But after extensive research, the Cowboys found no reason todrop Bryant off their board. Much like Randy Moss, the 21st pick in1998, the 21-year-old wideout could be the steal of the 2010 draft.

How He Fits: As it stands now, Miles Austin and RoyWilliams are the team's starting receivers. Jones made clear thatBryant has starter potential, though. Receivers typically have a longertransition to NFL offenses, but Bryant will get playing time inmulti-receiver sets and compete on punt and kick returns. He could pushPatrick Crayton and/or Sam Hurd off the roster.

Worth Mentioning: Bryant finished his three-yearcollege career with 3,015 all-purpose yards, an average of 107.7 yardsper game and 17.03 yards every time he touched the ball. The best proofof his big-play ability: he scored 29 touchdowns in 28 games.

Sean Lee
Linebacker, Penn State
6-2, 239
2nd round (55th overall)

Who's He: An aggressive, highly productive combolinebacker who continued the Nittany Lions' grand linebacker tradition.A three-year starter at Penn State, Lee started 33 of 44 games at threedifferent linebacker spots and recorded 324 tackles (154 solo), 11sacks, 16 pass breakups and three interceptions. Injury history -season-ending torn ACL in 2008 - probably dropped him to the secondround, but the Cowboys rated him in the top half of the first round.

How He Fits: Head coach Wade Phillips believes Lee canplay the backup "Mike" or "Mo" inside spots behind Bradie James andKeith Brooking, and could work his way into the sub-packages as arookie. That likely would come at the expense of Bobby Carpenter, whois entering the final year of his contract.

Worth Mentioning: Jones and Phillips both comparedLee's skill set to Brooking. It's not a prediction that he'll play morethan a decade and make five Pro Bowls. But his range and tenacity couldmake him an impact player right away.

Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
Safety, Indiana (Pa.)
6-0, 207
4th round (126th overall)

Who's He: A physical, dynamic small-school defensiveback and kick returner - "a big fish in a small pond," Phillips says -who will play safety in the Cowboys' 3-4 scheme. He started at leftcornerback in his final 21 of 43 career games but also played freesafety, recording 73 tackles, 19 interceptions and 10 pass deflections.He averaged 11.3 yards on punt returns and 25.9 yards on kick returns.Owusu-Ansah had surgery to fix a dislocated shoulder in March and willnot resume full on-field activities until training camp in late July.

How He Fits: Secondary coach Dave Campo believesOwusu-Ansah is versatile and athletic enough to play cornerback in theNFL, but the Cowboys feel his size, range and physical style make himan ideal free safety prospect. He'll start there right away, gettingcomfortable with the scheme and the responsibility of making calls andadjustments in the secondary. Owusu-Ansah will need time to develop,but he figures to be a core special teams contributor and possibly areturner as a rookie.

Worth Mentioning: Maybe Owusu-Ansah was destined for an NFL career. His first name, Akwasi, means "born on Sunday."

Sam Young
Offensive Tackle, Notre Dame
6-8, 316
6th round (196th overall)

Who's He: A tough, durable tackle who became the firstfreshman lineman in school history to debut as a starter and finishedhis career with a 50-start streak. Young primarily played right tacklein college, but he did start 10 games at left tackle as a sophomore.

How He Fits: With Doug Free replacing ex-starterFlozell Adams and Pat McQuistan returning on a one-year contract, Youngand last year's draft pick Robert Brewster could offer some young depthon the offensive line. Young will begin at right tackle but couldcompete to be the primary backup on both sides.

Worth Mentioning: Young played his high school ball atThomas Aquinas in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. - the same home to Hall-of-Famereceiver Michael Irvin.

Jamar Wall
Cornerback, Texas Tech
5-10, 204
6th round (196th overall)

Who's He: A big, athletic cornerback who competedagainst top receivers like Michael Crabtree and his new Cowboysteammate, Bryant. Wall started 38 of 50 career games at Tech, recording108 tackles, 32 pass breakups and nine interceptions. He said he hurthis hamstring before the NFL combine and again during his Pro Day butwill be ready for the rookie camp.

How He Fits: There's a job available for Wall. WithAlan Ball a leading candidate at free safety, the Cowboys have littledepth behind primary corners Terence Newman, Mike Jenkins and OrlandoScandrick.

Worth Mentioning: Special teams contributions areessential for Wall to make the team, and he has experience. In additionto returning kicks, he worked on kickoff coverage, punt coverage andpunt return team as a jammer and a gunner.

Sean Lissemore
Defensive Lineman, William & Mary
6-4, 298
7th round (234th overall)

Who's He: A versatile, athletic lineman whoseintensity reminds Dallas a little bit of All-Pro nose tackle JayRatliff. Lissemore started 35 of 45 career games for William &Mary, totaling 193 tackles (115 solo), 28 for loss and 13.5 sacks.

How He Fits: Phillips liked what backup Junior Siaviidid at nose tackle last year, but the Cowboys are always looking forways to spell Ratliff. They think Lissemore projects best inside butwill start him out at defensive end.

Worth Mentioning: Lissemore ran a 4.99 40-yard dash time, not bad for a 300-pounder.

Needing A Chance

Quick Recap Of Rookie Free Agents

IRVING, Texas - On the heels of an exciting NFLDraft that saw the Cowboys land two of their top 16 projected players,including the electrifying receiver Dez Bryant, it would seem difficultto get excited about players who were not selected.

Yet, the Cowboys understand that making up the 80-man trainingcamp roster means signing quality undrafted free agents, and the clubis pretty enthused about the crop that will be headed to town thisweekend. Along with the six draft picks, the Cowboys have agreed toterms with 17 players who will arrive Thursday to take physicals andofficially sign their deals.

The Cowboys are one of the NFL's best examples of a team thatthrives off undrafted players. Look no further than quarterback TonyRomo, a three-time Pro Bowler, and his top weapon from last year, MilesAustin, who also made his first Pro Bowl thanks to a breakout season,as two players who not only came from small schools, but did so withoutbeing drafted.

Last year the Cowboys also counted on rookie receiver KevinOgletree, who was not drafted. And other undrafted players on the 2009roster included punter Mat McBriar, wide receiver Sam Hurd, defensiveend Stephen Bowen, offensive lineman Cory Procter and long snapper L.P.Ladouceur.

Here's a quick recap of the Cowboys' 17 undrafted free agentswho will be arriving to Valley Ranch this weekend for the rookiemini-camp:

Delbert Alvarado, P/K, South Florida
Can handle all three kicking phases but more experienced as a punter; Likely will lessen McBriar's summer duties.

Junior Aumavae, NT, Minnesota State
Space eater that earned first team and Newcomer of the Year honors in Division II conference.

Will Barker, OT, Virginia
Four-year starter and team captain for the Cavaliers. Can he continue in John Phillips' and Kevin Ogletree's footsteps?

Barry Church, SS, Toledo
Highly productive, earning four first-team All-MAC selections. Nine career interceptions and 26 tackles for loss.

Phil Costa, G/C, Maryland
Versatile lineman with 30 career starts - 13 at right guard, 12 at center, 5 at left guard.

Rashaun Greer, WR, Colorado State
Caught 112 passes for 1,848 yards, all coming in the last two years, but scored just three touchdowns.

Chris Gronkowski, FB, Arizona
More of an H-back type player. Brother Rob was a second-round pick of the Patriots this year.

Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon
One of the most decorated players in FSC history. The 6-2, 236-pound target broke some of Jerry Rice's college records.

Bryan McCann, DB, SMU
His 48 career games played tops all SMU players in his recruitingclass. Has 11 career interceptions and solid return stats as well.

Danny McCray, FS, LSU
More of a role player, with just 13 career starts. Backed up Chad Jones - a third-round pick.

Lonyae Miller, RB, Fresno State
Backup to first-round pick Ryan Matthews. Scored 20 career TDs in just 12 starts.

Matt Nichols, QB, Eastern Washington
Owns six Big Sky Conference records. Passed for 3,830 yards and 33 touchdowns in 12 games last season.

Chet Teofilo, G/C, California
Versatile enough to play both tackle spots, but is being projected as an interior lineman.

Mike Tepper, OT, California
All-Pac 10 selection as a senior. Has 28 career starts. Has dealt with injuries that led to six years of eligibility.

Nick Tow-Arnett, TE, Minnesota
Former walk-on developed into a regular contributor. More of a blocking tight end.

Verran Tucker, WR, California
Raw prospect that doesn't have a lot of football experience, but has good size and measurables.

Lorenzo Washington, DE, Alabama
Started all 14 games for national champions last year. Recipient of schools' Most Improved Award in 2009.

Still Looking

Safety, Offensive Line Are Post-Draft Priorities

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys indeed addressed twoclear needs by the end of the NFL Draft: offensive line and safety. Theteam has high hopes for fourth-round safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah andsixth-round tackle Sam Young.

But having spent his higher picks elsewhere, team owner JerryJones still hasn't ruled out acquiring a veteran at either position.

The Cowboys will look for value on the free agent market,possibly in players destined to be released now that their teams havefound younger draft replacements.

"I think this draft will create that, and therein lies someopportunity that isn't necessarily out here in the market right now,"Jones said.

Jones indicated safety might be a larger focus. The team has noclear-cut replacement for ex-free safety Ken Hamlin. Alan Ball is theleading candidate, second-year veteran Michael Hamlin has upside andPat Watkins has started 10 career games.

Jones is confident in Doug Free as his 2010 starting left tackle, but the team could use depth at tackle, guard and center.

"We just need to create some flex on the line so that if we had some injury we could move it around a little bit," he said.

"Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon - One of the most decorated players in FSC history. The 6-2, 236-pound target broke some of Jerry Rice's college records." ... sounds intriguing ...

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Too bad he's not an intriguing safety or left tackle.
Ansah is our intriguing safety ... as for left tackle, i firmly believe Flozell or another free agent will be on our roster by the opening game ... no way in hell doug free is our starting left tackle ... but then again, jerry said he definitely will be ...

we will sign/trade for someone by the end of june ...

Sharper Interest May Hinge On Contract Terms

While one media outlet reports the Cowboys are both interested and not interested in free agent safety Darren Sharper, the most likely reality is they would love to have him - for the right price.

Though he's coming off a masterful season, Sharper is 34, and he'll be 35 on Nov. 3. It doesn't make a lot of sense for the Cowboys to be tied down to an aging safety for the long-term, especially at the money Sharper will command.

Remember, his 2009 base salary was low compared to his production, just about $1.7 million in New Orleans. He'll be looking to cash in on last year's effort for one more good check. And you can bet he doesn't want another one- or two-year deal.

Maybe that's all Sharper will find on the open market, though. He just took his first visit yesterday, to seemingly cash-strapped Jacksonville.

Despite this being an uncapped year, the Cowboys have been pretty conservative. Shelling out a big contract for a safety near the end of his career would seem to go against the plan.

Originally Posted by cguy610

Highlights of Dez Bryant in yesterday's workout.

http://www.dallascowboys....27-00AD-DB7CEDB5061489A5
pimp.gif

"Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon - One of the most decorated players in FSC history. The 6-2, 236-pound target broke some of Jerry Rice's college records." ... sounds intriguing ...
I said the same thing....

In four practices over two days, Cowboys rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant has made diving catches, leaping catches and one-handed catches. He has made the free agent (Matt Nichols) and workout (Pat Grace) quarterbacks look better than they are, while frustrating a drafted cornerback (Jamar Wall) in one-on-one drills. "Sometimes I have to do a double-take when I see him do something," receivers coach Ray Sherman said. "But it doesn't surprise me with him. He makes it look natural. That's the thing about it. He looks very natural." After his Pro Day in Lufkin in March, Packers coach Mike McCarthy raved about Bryant's hands and he has showed them off this weekend. "I just felt like it's God given," Bryant said Friday when asked about his hands. "That's something I love to do. If it's not a football, I stay tossing things up in the air. It's just a habit."

Being in Texas I am extremely familiar with Big 12 football and Dez Bryant.
This dude is a one man show. He can really help a team shift momentum during a game.
The one thing he will do more than anything is open up our running game.
Oklahoma State Running backs looked so good when Dez was there it was unbelievable.
Not to mention how good he made their QB look.

There needs to be an emphasis on Dez and Romo getting their timing together.
Sam Hurd doesnt need any reps this offseason. All his reps need to go to Dez.
I do not want to see a half or whole season of Romo missing this cat on wide open deep balls.
Or over throwing him on crossing patterns that would be touchdowns with accurate passes.

Source: Cowboys, Rams complete trade

In a swap of former first-round picks who didn't live up to expectations, the Dallas Cowboys traded linebacker Bobby Carpenter to the St. Louis Rams for tackle Alex Barron, a source said Monday.

Carpenter underachieved from the moment he arrived in Dallas as the 18th pick of the 2006 draft. He never settled in at inside linebacker in the 3-4 scheme and seemed more suited to play the middle linebacker position in a 4-3 alignment.

Carpenter's best game might have come in the 2006 playoff loss to the Seattle Seahawks in which he started and had five tackles -- including one for a loss -- and deflected three passes. But when the Cowboys drafted Penn State's Sean Lee in the second round earlier this month, it signaled that Carpenter's time in Dallas was coming to an end.

Like Carpenter, Barron has struggled. He never lived up to expectations in St. Louis despite starting in 74 of 76 career games since becoming a first-round pick in the 2005 draft.

Last year, he led the NFL with five holding calls.

With the Cowboys, Barron will get the chance to challenge Doug Free for the starting left tackle spot. If he doesn't win the job, he would become the swing backup tackle the Cowboys are seeking.

Barron has signed his tender offer worth $2.621 million this season.

He joins a backup offensive line corps that also includes Travis Bright (center/guard), Montrae Holland (guard), Robert Brewster (left tackle), Pat McQuistan (guard), Cory Procter (center/guard) and rookie Sam Young (right tackle).

The trade is the Cowboys' biggest offseason move since they released a pair of veterans in left tackle Flozell Adams and free safety Ken Hamlin. The Cowboys have elected to move Free and Alan Ball into their starting positions.

Dallas also re-signed its only unrestricted free agent in Holland.

Next on the Cowboys' agenda is to extend the contracts of two of their restricted free agents: wide receiver Miles Austin and strong safety Gerald Sensabaugh. Jones said he would like to sign both to long-term deals.

dont know how i feel about this ... boobie was getting a little better in my eyes but we need depth on the o-line and barron provides a little ... it is also being "reported" that the cowboys will be getting atogwe from the rams after the june 1st cut-off ...

No Loss Of Confidence

Roy Williams Is Keeping His Swagger

GRAPEVINE, Texas - After a spateof dropped balls last year, Roy Williams said he believed Tony Romo hadlost confidence in him. It's pretty clear, though, that Williams isn'tlacking any for himself.

Before teeing off in Wednesday's sponsor appreciationtournament at Cowboys Golf Club, Williams vowed a return to theoutstanding play that earned him a Pro Bowl selection in 2006, the playthat made the Cowboys want to trade for him, then agree to a five-year,$45 million extension.

Williams is more eager than ever to prove he's worth it.

"I feel like I don't want to go through these OTAs and trainingcamp," Williams said of the three-times-a-week practices which beginnext week. "I just want to get to whoever we open with in Week 1. Idon't want to play preseason, none of that, I want to play tomorrow."

But before the Cowboys take on the ******** in the opener, theteam is asking Williams to make some changes to his technique. On topof the trouble he had catching the ball last year, the Cowboys feltWilliams lacked explosion because he was coming off the line tooupright.

"It's just little certain things they want me to do, and I'mwilling to try and do them to be a better player," Williams said. "Buta guy being 6-3, it's kind of hard to stay down and get down unless I'mgoing to line up like Tim Brown back in the '80s in a three-pointstance. But it can be done; I've done it before. It's just that I'vebeen standing up for so long it's kind of hard to get out of that. ButI've done it a couple times and it feels pretty good.

"They just want no wasted movement, just to come off already bent, ready to go. It's something you work on in the offseason."

Williams has been taking part in the Cowboys' offseason workoutsall spring, a program that also includes Tuesday and Thursday throwingsessions with all the quarterbacks on the roster. He estimates hecatches 40 or 50 balls a week from Romo, as the two try to get on thatever elusive "same page."

And Williams is also catching 200 balls a week from the Jugsmachine, an effort to cut down on at least eight dropped passes in2009.

"I would bet anybody in this world I won't come anywhere closeto what I had last year," Williams said of his number of drops. "Itwon't even be half. You want to take that bet? I won't even come close.I promise you. I promise you, you, you, you and you and every fan outthere. I won't even come close."

In 26 games as a Cowboy, Williams has often been an object offrustration for fans, and a whipping boy in the media. He's beencriticized by former Cowboys players and even saw his snaps decrease asthe season went along last year. If the technical tweaks and the Jugsmachine stuff doesn't work, though, the Cowboys have an alternativenow.

As part of the ongoing theme of competition on the roster, theclub drafted highly touted receiver Dez Bryant in the first round, aplayer Jerry Jones said he views as a starter. Williams and MilesAustin are also considered starters in the owner's eyes.

With $9.5 million guaranteed for this season, Williams' spoton the roster is safe. But he could continue to have his playing timedecreased if he's not more productive. Head coach Wade Phillips saidthe Cowboys will find a way to play everyone who deserves to be in thegame.

"If a guy's good enough to play then we can get him in theballgame," Wade Phillips said. "Whether they're starting or not is notalways the case."

As for the selection of Bryant, Williams said it doesn't botherhim. The former Detroit Lions first-rounder was a part of only 21 winsin his first four seasons-plus, so he has no complaints about addingtalent to the roster.

But he's not prepared for that talent to push him out of the lineup.

"I know people are thinking he's going to come in and take myspot and all that mess, and it's not about that," Williams said. "Idon't think that's going to happen anyway. I embrace the challenge andwhatnot, but I think he's just going to come in and help this footballteam win three more ballgames.

"I don't really see it as a competition thing, I see it as usgetting better. I know in the back of my mind and the back of his mindhe wants to play. And the only way he's going to play is to get No. 11off the field. That's going to be tough to do, but it's going make usbetter as a football team."

On a unit that has such stars and potential as the Cowboys'offense, there are a lot of people who want the football. With Austin,Bryant, Jason Witten, Martellus Bennett and a trio of talented runningbacks on board, Williams' numbers might not ever live up to theexpectations set by the first- and third-round picks the Cowboys tradedto get him, plus the contract.

But if he can come close, everyone will benefit.

"We certainly know as a team that we're a better team if we candistribute the ball around," Jones said. "We've got the tools to dothat with. . . . I hope that it's as simple as taking a couple of quickreads, realizing where (the defense) decided they were going to doubleup and then looking out there for who's single covered. Because we'vegot some guys who can beat single coverage."

Williams still counts himself as one of those guys.

Temporary Absence

LB Brooking Sidelined With Knee Injury

IRVING, Texas - The Cowboys might get to see a little more of second-round pick Sean Lee than they were actually hoping for this summer.

That's because veteran inside linebacker Keith Brooking will besidelined for a few weeks after undergoing arthroscopic surgery on hisleft knee recently. While the procedure is considered minor androutine, it will still keep the 35-year-old linebacker off his feet formost of the OTA practices over the next month.

While Brooking will certainly miss next week's sessions, it'salso likely he could miss the team's only mandatory minicamp, scheduledfor June 11-13. However, Brooking is expected to return by the start oftraining camp, which is scheduled to begin the final week of July inSan Antonio.

The Cowboys drafted Lee with the 55th overall pick in lastmonth's draft and after this week's official trade involving BobbyCarpenter to the Rams, the Cowboys might be a little thin at the insidespot this month.

Along with Bradie James, who has led the Cowboys in tackleseach of the last five seasons, the Cowboys will work Lee and lastyear's top pick Jason Williams, as well as possibly Steve Octavien, whoalso played some on the outside last year.

Last season, Brooking came over from the Falcons to record 106 tackles and three sacks.

i swear, that bum scandrick done %$%%@@ up dez's progress ... i hope he's ready for the first game against them bum %#* skins ...

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

i swear, that bum scandrick done %$%%@@ up dez's progress ... i hope he's ready for the first game against them bum %#* skins ...

i dont think orlando is a bum..lol..

as for the skins game, waiting on my jersey but ima be in Fedex in my #88 Bryant jersey
smokin.gif

this will be the first year i dont go to the game due to the mcnabb and shananhahan hype ... i would most likely get arrested or at the very least kicked out ... if the skins win i would for sure have to start wreckin, and if the boys win i would for sure be wreckin lol ... it's a lose lose for me so i'll just stay home ...

Long Injured List
Notebook: More Than Dozen Players Out

IRVING, Texas - The preseason is supposed to be the time to use an abundance of players to get through the games without further risk of injury.

That's the plan at least. The Cowboys, however, will play their second preseason game Thursday night against the Raiders with only 66 players, far from the league's maximum limit of 80 on the roster.

While the Cowboys have just 79 players on the current roster, tight end John Phillips (torn ACL) isn't eligible for injured reserve until Aug. 31, and a dozen more are injured and won't play against the Raiders.

Head coach Wade Phillips said many of them will be able to resume practice once the team arrives in Oxnard, Calif. on Friday and should play in the following preseason game - Aug. 21 in San Diego.

"I think we'll get all of them back for the San Diego game," said Phillips, referring mostly to the newer injuries. It's not likely Dez Bryant or Marcus Spears will able to play until the last preseason game (Sept. 2) at the earliest.

"We've got a few guys banged up, but I think we'll be ready to play."

Rookie linebacker Sean Lee said he understands the process of rehabbing his injury, but it doesn't always help his frustration.

"You see your teammates out there and you want to be a part of it," Lee said. "I know we have to be smart about this. And so the trainers are doing the right thing. At the same time, I just want to be out there and play to help my team and get better. I have to be patient but it's hard."

The list of injured players not expected to play against the Raiders Thursday:
FS Pat Watkins (knee)
LB Sean Lee (quad)
WR Dez Bryant (high-ankle sprain)
OG Montrae Holland (hamstring)
FS Akwasi Owusu-Ansah (shoulder)
DE Marcus Spears (sprained MCL)
OT Alex Barron (sprained ankle)
TE Scott Sicko (concussion)
CB Cletis Gordon (neck strain)
LB Stephen Hodge (knee)
TE John Phillips (torn ACL)
TE Martellus Bennett (ankle)
DL Sean Lissemore (groin)

Playing Time Similar

Wade Phillips said the starters will likely play a little more than they did last Sunday in Canton, but overall the schedule should be about the same.

There might be another series for the starters, although the first-team offense did have a 14-play drive to start the game. If that were to happen again, it's likely that would be all Phillips wants to see from the starters, especially tight end Jason Witten, who is the only healthy and experienced player at that position.

"It really is the first preseason game, if you had a four-game preseason," Phillips said. "I was going to play the starters a little bit more except that I want to see more from the young guys. Quite a few of them did some good things. I want to give them an opportunity to be consistent. We will play our starters more than we did, but it won't be a full half or anything."

Phillips reiterated how many young guys played well and spent most of his Monday press conference listing those names.

"I'd like to be able to repeat that," Phillips said, hinting he hopes for another strong outing Thursday night from his young group.

Still Running

Wade Phillips dismissed the notion when asked Wednesday if the lack of tight ends will affect not only the team's willingness to run the ball Thursday against Oakland, but the chance to evaluate the entire running game based on the use of the H-backs.

"We'll run the ball. We'll just have to do it different ways," Phillips said. "We might have to spread them out and run the ball. We've got a few things we've worked on that might let us run the ball effectively. We've got a few things we can do."

Looking At Kosier

If left guard Kyle Kosier is expected to be the backup center to Andre Gurode, he'll likely need at least a few snaps in the preseason, especially considering he's never snapped in a game before in his entire career.

Wade Philips said he plans to give Kosier some reps in a preseason game and didn't rule out the possibility of it occurring Thursday night.

"We may do it some this week," Phillips said. "Probably more the next couple of games."

When asked about it Wednesday, Kosier said he wasn't sure but said he'd be ready to try.

Dallas Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant didn't want to carry shoulder pads, but he happily delivered shoes to his fellow wide receivers.

Bryant bought the Cowboys' receiving corps pairs of Air Jordan Olympic 7s.

It was a goodwill gesture from the first-round pick, whose refusal to carry Roy Williams' shoulder pads at the beginning of training camp morphed into a media firestorm.

A day later, hours after coach Wade Phillips discussed the issue in ateam meeting, Williams declared it no big deal but hinted that he'd runup a big bill when the rookie bought the receivers dinner.

Williams grinned Thursday night when asked about the shoes Bryant bought, saying he didn't get the right size.

"It's OK," Williams said lightheartedly. "My 15 didn't get in. I got a little bit more hungry, a little bit more thirsty."

nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom