The NBA Draft Thread

I'm actually surprised by all the takes on Lonzo being the catalyst for UCLA being what they were last year when that's just not the case at all.

Yes, Ball added a much needed dynamic but the addition of Leaf + moving Alford off the ball + maturation of Hamilton/Welsh/Holiday + outbreak of Anibogu led to the perfect situation.

Stop acting like the addition of Ball had Lebron-like affects on that UCLA team :lol:
Alford only makes that move off the ball like y'all keep saying cuz of Lonzo tho, he literally allowed everybody else to flourish n just do what they do best ...one again it all starts and ends with the Big Baller Brand :pimp:

Forgot where I read it, but someone made an interesting point that Lonzo plays very "upright" on both sides of the ball.

He does. Especially on defense. But that's coachable.

If Brandon Knight and his no handle having assss can be productive in the league....I think Starboy will be fine

Them looks BI and Randle are going to get just by running... stuff dreams are made of.

Ball got great ups and vertical, he can get out into transition, he hasn't proven he has exceptional foot speed laterally, especially in the half court. His 0-60 speed doesn't jump off the page. Goes along with the fact that he really isn't the type to dominate the basketball in half court sets

He's been in these systems in high school and the one year at ucla

Last edited:
All the coaches, staff and players said he did come in and change the entire mindset though. Who should we listen to them or you?

I prefer using my own eyes and seeing things for what they are. Again, I never said he didn't have an obvious impact on UCLA's success but to say that was all him? If you actually watched UCLA play then you'd see that's not the case. You clearly prefer digesting box scores and media-friendly/player promoting quips from coaches and using that as your basis for the Ball hype.

His assist numbers were also inflated but there's no point in further dissecting that with you since I've seen the way you ride for Westbrook and his inflated stats too :lol:

Last edited:
You should be a scout if your expertise is better than the guys actually inside the program. That's impressive.

3 free throw attempts, putrid & limited PnR play that resulted in TOs 1/3rd of the time. And he's the 2nd guard off the board, #2 overall?

Eh.

3 free throw attempts, putrid & limited PnR play that resulted in TOs 1/3rd of the time. And he's the 2nd guard off the board, #2 overall?

Eh.
Ratsull can handle the bulk of the PnR duties, though it is a red flag that Ball has never really excelled in PnR. tbh his teams simply didn't implement it, so I'm not writing that aspect of his game off quite yet

I don't think it's that imperative for a point guard to get to the line. Some of the best point guards in the NBA don't put up high FT attempt numbers. Ball isn't a score first point guard anyway

I'm not that worried about Lonzo in the PNR. He can shoot 3s off the dribble and create space if a big switches on to him. He's tall enough to see over the defense, smart enough to make the right pass. He drives mostly to pass but that could be helpful to an offense if he finds the right balance. I think it's a good sign that he's used to playing off the ball especially if he's playing alongside Russell.

Going back to some of the debate from today...

No other fan base would have a 2nd year guy that when he gets over 30 minutes like he deserves in 32 games, puts up 19.93/ 4.31/ 5.75 on .425/.364/.805, and a sect of the fanbase needlessly hate him.

It's quite amusing.

Last edited:
If Ball played on a team that didn't have a steady PG that played PnR, I think the red flag would stand out more

Ratsull is a good paring for him

Lonzo is actually really bad at attacking switches. If people think dlo is bad at it, even tho if you actually pay attention without bias you'd see he clearly made big strides in this area this season, zo is even worse. I'm hopeful that his trash pnr play is more lack of experience than lack of aptitude

Put zo in the Klay Thompson role and I don't see why he couldn't flourish

Except for the fact that Thompson is a really good defender, great shooter, and plays next to the greatest 3 point shooter of all time.

And Thompson has a solid mid range game as well

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom