The Official 2020 NFL Offseason Thread - The Cleveland Steamer

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re going take a position within the top 10 that puts a guy high up on the payment scale for his position right off the bat, you can’t be shocked when that guy also wants to be an exception to norms for that position when it comes time for the 2nd contract

That vid with him telling that Cowboys fan he's trying to come was hilarious :lol:

Reminded me of Earl Thomas straight asking coach clap to come and get him in the tunnel postgame :rofl:.

On another note, not sure what these teams are doing whenever they're trying to play hardball with players when a 1st round pick pans out...

It's like everyone wants to hit on those high picks but when they actually do and those picks ask to be compensated for their play, teams get cold feet :lol:.

Like wasn't that the whole point of drafting dudes high? Hope they live up to it so they can be a big part of the teams future?

Unless they've got another definition of team building...

Joe Douglas he been vocal since last year's deadline that he wants to make Jamal a Jet for life. From a business standpoint, he doesn't have to rush into an extension right now. Why is that so hard to see? It ain't about Jamal outperforming his rookie deal - which you can certainly argue he has, no doubt - it's more that the Jets don't have to make a decision right now.

Rarely do I take the side of the team in recent years (because they have not done themselves any favors from a front office standpoint) but this time, I'm with Douglas.

If you’re going take a position within the top 10 that puts a guy high up on the payment scale for his position right off the bat, you can’t be shocked when that guy also wants to be an exception to norms for that position when it comes time for the 2nd contract

I said this about OBJ even tho he went like #11

If I’m a team taking a WR very high in the draft I’m just gonna assume he’ll be very vocal about his big pay day in the future

On another note, not sure what these teams are doing whenever they're trying to play hardball with players when a 1st round pick pans out...

It's like everyone wants to hit on those high picks but when they actually do and those picks ask to be compensated for their play, teams get cold feet :lol:.

Like wasn't that the whole point of drafting dudes high? Hope they live up to it so they can be a big part of the teams future?

Unless they've got another definition of team building

But it's not time for him to get paid.

Garrett, Watt, Mahomes, Tre White, Watson, Ramczyk have all lived up to their expectations as well. It's just not good business to do it after their third year.

Jamal Adams will eventually & deservedly be the highest paid safety in football. He's an all-pro player. But to take this public when 1) it's rare to get an extension after three years on your rookie deal and 2) no one knows the salary cap situation because of the pandemic, is a little silly to me. He has no leverage.

This isn't even about money anymore. He just wants out, which is fine.

I said this about OBJ even tho he went like #11

If I’m a team taking a WR very high in the draft I’m just gonna assume he’ll be very vocal about his big pay day in the future

I wouldn’t count WRs, once you’re not renegotiating repeatedly you’re usually good

I mean look at what even slot guys are getting now

I could be wrong but seems like it’s usually the WRs trying get new money with like multiple years left on their deals

but I can’t remember obj asking for anything new with the browns

I'm always going side with a NFL players getting there money over a team. How they go about it leading up to it can be questioned, but at some point these teams gotta start treating the players like the players that they projected them to be.

Just like Allen Robinson, Jalen Ramsey and Yannick Ngakoue, why risk not signing players after year 3 and solidifying anchors of your team, just to have them trend upward year 4 and ask for more and be disgrutled.

Perfect example is the Dak situation. Had they just locked him up last offseason, they wouldn't be in the position where now they either have to make him the highest paid in the league or franchise him next offseason for 38M in a season where the salary cap were many think will decline because of COVID.

The Jets have got to this point instead of just paying him.

107C42F6-5B19-43DA-AB8E-C4C91888CA38.jpeg

elevate n get hella cake off the legacy

Prime example why the NFL needs guaranteed contracts. But cats should not have agreed to that CBA, 4 year rookie deals with 5th year option. Rookies should have the option to sign a 3 year or 4 year deal. The NFL union is so darn weak

I mean theoretically I’m against the draft as a whole and forcing guys to college

but within the structure, I’d say max 1 year in college then eligible..

then 1st rounders get 3 years.. then 2 years player options, so even busts have some security and rewarded for earning high draft spot.. 2nds and I guess 3rds have 4th year player options

then do away with compensatory picks as structured.. but you give compensation if another team signs your guy within those player option year, so like the nba and restricted free agents like the whole qualifying offer thing

Low key after what the players union just agreed to I’m about done feeling bad for them. If they could have put their foot down for even 1 second instead of agreeing to no weed testing, now might have been the perfect time to put their foot down for real with the pandemic.

Yea I didn't think they could fumble things worse than they did during the lockout, only for them to tell themselves to hold their beer this year :lol:

They would've finally had more leverage than ever with the pandemic to push for lifetime health insurance, more rest between games in exchange of more games the owners wanted etc they'd spent years talking about yet they caved almost immediately and agreed to the first offer they got for superficial concessions :smh:

Dudes are so unimaginative when it comes to these things

like compensatory picks would be super duper high on my list of things to attack.. current system encourages getting your cheap labor locked in on a cheap rookie deal so smart teams let guys walk and pick up extra picks while not setting off in free agency spending

also would go after the hard cap.. could argue for a luxury cap structure and allow teams to overspend to keep their guys.. so you’d have say a team like Washington with snyder moving draft picks to get guys and giving them contracts and going over the cap

you retain continuity.. and allow the owners who wanna spend to go as far as they are willing.. and we can see who keeps and doesn’t keep draft picks, trying get guys in house so they can spend more

Low key after what the players union just agreed to I’m about done feeling bad for them. If they could have put their foot down for even 1 second instead of agreeing to no weed testing, now might have been the perfect time to put their foot down for real with the pandemic.

To be fair, the choice between being able to smoke weed or create a better future for you, your peers, & the players who will come after you is a difficult choice.

like compensatory picks would be super duper high on my list of things to attack.. current system encourages getting your cheap labor locked in on a cheap rookie deal so smart teams let guys walk and pick up extra picks while not setting off in free agency spending

also would go after the hard cap.. could argue for a luxury cap structure and allow teams to overspend to keep their guys.. so you’d have say a team like Washington with snyder moving draft picks to get guys and giving them contracts and going over the cap

you retain continuity.. and allow the owners who wanna spend to go as far as they are willing.. and we can see who keeps and doesn’t keep draft picks, trying get guys in house so they can spend more
Can't help but feel like NFL players are wired differently in terms of thinking myopically instead of long term like other leagues due to how short the average playing career is for most of them in comparison to careers in other sports.

Those other PA's are awfully careful about setting precedents within their CBA's that might hurt them in the long run, feels like NFL dudes don't really care since they might not even be playing anymore by the time the next CBA negotiations roll around.

I get where a lot of them are coming from but whatever interim benefits they may get from that shortsightedness only ends up weakening their unions negotiating power along with hurting future players

But it's not time for him to get paid.

Garrett, Watt, Mahomes, Tre White, Watson, Ramczyk have all lived up to their expectations as well. It's just not good business to do it after their third year.

Jamal Adams will eventually & deservedly be the highest paid safety in football. He's an all-pro player. But to take this public when 1) it's rare to get an extension after three years on your rookie deal and 2) no one knows the salary cap situation because of the pandemic, is a little silly to me. He has no leverage.

This isn't even about money anymore. He just wants out, which is fine.

On Twitter it's certainly coming off that he only wants out because of the $/no extension being discussed (to his claims).

Not picks, pick.

Comp pick wouldn’t be hirer than a 3, so if you could get a 2 or someone like the Steelers give a 1 why wouldn’t you make the trade instead? (In the case of Adams)

But yes, overall comp picks have really helped the Patriots and Ravens develop their talent and keep a cheap labor pool.

Can't help but feel like NFL players are wired differently in terms of thinking myopically instead of long term like other leagues due to how short the average playing career is for most of them in comparison to careers in other sports.

Those other PA's are awfully careful about setting precedents within their CBA's that might hurt them in the long run, feels like NFL dudes don't really care since they might not even be playing anymore by the time the next CBA negotiations roll around.

I get where a lot of them are coming from but whatever interim benefits they may get from that shortsightedness only ends up weakening their unions negotiating power along with hurting future players

but i just dont get things, even from the owners side

like say jerry jones and dan snyder, why not push for a soft cap with a luxury cap.. then you can spend all you want and the cheaper owners could benefit

it's a win for the players

but i dont get why the players dont attack specific things.. like the tags, if a team wants to resort to using the franchise tag you should automatically be the top paid at your spot

and you shouldnt be encouraging the draft as structured plus the contracts plus the compensatory picks.. all that stuff hurts vets, plus what guys can make over the course of their careers along with the hard cap

Not picks, pick.

Comp pick wouldn’t be hirer than a 3, so if you could get a 2 or someone like the Steelers give a 1 why wouldn’t you make the trade instead? (In the case of Adams)

But yes, overall comp picks have really helped the Patriots and Ravens develop their talent and keep a cheap labor pool.

you can get up to 4 compensatory picks (wasnt sure which part specific of what i said you were referencing)

but i think the league could do a ton to encourage spending on players while also keeping continuity.. plus, say if the league went to a soft cap with a luxury tax, you'd have more teams trading picks to get proven guys because they're willing to get the established guy in house and pay him and go over the cap

“This whole situation has nothing to do with Jerry or anybody in Jerry’s position,” Lawrence told Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “This is about us coming together and focusing on how we can make a change and how we can come together and be united. I don’t see how one man in Jerry’s position or any of those types positions can make a change.

“The only thing they can do is give us money to make a change. What kind of help do we need from Jerry: we need to stand on our own two feet, be the man we are supposed to be and build foundations and build centers to help our youth.”

you can get up to 4 compensatory picks (wasnt sure which part specific of what i said you were referencing)

but i think the league could do a ton to encourage spending on players while also keeping continuity.. plus, say if the league went to a soft cap with a luxury tax, you'd have more teams trading picks to get proven guys because they're willing to get the established guy in house and pay him and go over the cap

I was referring to the one Jets instance with Adams, but yes total too.

It’s a very strategic move imo, clever on the business side of things. Keep labor costs done, produce winners constantly (Pats, Ravens reference). The investment being in coaching and FO. Stuff like that interests me.

But to encourage teams to sign these big deals, hard to incentivize. It works with Basketball due to roster size. You can do that until your hearts content. But with 53 players (or whatever the new max is now) it would be so difficult. Worth it? Maybe... hard to say. I would like to see more guaranteed money vs. $100 million dollar contract with $20 mill being guaranteed. At minimum all contracts should be an 80-20 split to gtd. to incentive.

With all or majority of gtd money you’d have shorter contracts and more opportunities to get pay days. More instances of higher tier free agents to cash out.

This list is soo bad

Peters ain’t even the best cb on the ravens..speaking of which Humphrey not being included is criminal

I was referring to the one Jets instance with Adams, but yes total too.

It’s a very strategic move imo, clever on the business side of things. Keep labor costs done, produce winners constantly (Pats, Ravens reference). The investment being in coaching and FO. Stuff like that interests me.

But to encourage teams to sign these big deals, hard to incentivize. It works with Basketball due to roster size. You can do that until your hearts content. But with 53 players (or whatever the new max is now) it would be so difficult. Worth it? Maybe... hard to say. I would like to see more guaranteed money vs. $100 million dollar contract with $20 mill being guaranteed. At minimum all contracts should be an 80-20 split to gtd. to incentive.

With all or majority of gtd money you’d have shorter contracts and more opportunities to get pay days. More instances of higher tier free agents to cash out.

I was thinking more like an amalgamation of things, not just nba.. but a mixture of aspects of nfl, mlb and nba.. throwing some soccer in their might be too much

but I was thinking more baseball with a bit of an nba twist where you allow the Daniel Snyder’s of the world to try and buy a championship.. but once they hit the cap, then they have to move picks to get vets in and then extend them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom