The Official NBA Collective Bargaining Thread vol Phased in Hard Cap

I suppose you don't become a billionaire without running up the score. They ae probably wired differently than more of us can comprehend

Players need to eat this and take the 50/50. Stern is going to drop the hammer and its going to be crazy after Wednesday. I'm for the players, but i need a NBA season

Players need to eat this and take the 50/50. Stern is going to drop the hammer and its going to be crazy after Wednesday. I'm for the players, but i need a NBA season

Most of the current players won't be around for the next CBA.  Hopefully the next generation will come more prepared and approach the negotiations more seriously - more specifically, have a serious contingency plan ready to go when the owners play hardball again.

Most of the current players won't be around for the next CBA.  Hopefully the next generation will come more prepared and approach the negotiations more seriously - more specifically, have a serious contingency plan ready to go when the owners play hardball again.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Stern was on Sportscenter a second ago...says take the 50-50 split by Wednesday, or else we're only offering 47-53 from now on and are ready to lose the season.

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

This is what the players don't get. Stern and the owners are done negotiating.

And they completely own the PR on this. Even if the players accept 50/50, they'll come off as having blown hot air for months, wasting time, all so they could "cave" at the last moment. The owners know exactly what to do for future CBA's: set the terms and wait out the union. 

Kessler said the players won't be intimidated. Ok, stop screwing around and decertify then. You know what's in the best deal possible at this point and that you don't want it. Want 47-53? No.

So decert and stop jerking people, fans first and foremost, around.

This!!!! Ball was never in the players court. Somebody has to lose and unfornutaley its the players. 50/50 is a fair deal, compared to the onslaught that might come in few days. I hope these players really think about what can happen if the season is lost.

Originally Posted by Burns1923

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Stern was on Sportscenter a second ago...says take the 50-50 split by Wednesday, or else we're only offering 47-53 from now on and are ready to lose the season.

30t6p3b.gif

laugh.gif

This is what the players don't get. Stern and the owners are done negotiating.

And they completely own the PR on this. Even if the players accept 50/50, they'll come off as having blown hot air for months, wasting time, all so they could "cave" at the last moment. The owners know exactly what to do for future CBA's: set the terms and wait out the union. 

Kessler said the players won't be intimidated. Ok, stop screwing around and decertify then. You know what's in the best deal possible at this point and that you don't want it. Want 47-53? No.

So decert and stop jerking people, fans first and foremost, around.

This!!!! Ball was never in the players court. Somebody has to lose and unfornutaley its the players. 50/50 is a fair deal, compared to the onslaught that might come in few days. I hope these players really think about what can happen if the season is lost.

Originally Posted by PMatic

yates-scoreboard.jpg

Owners are trying to run up the score.
30t6p3b.gif

The players might say **+% it and give a big **+% you to the owners.
grin.gif

Edit:
r8tu8n.jpg

Kevin Martin:
"If you know for sure [the owners] are not moving, then you take the best deal possible," Martin wrote in a text message to SI.com. "We are risking losing 20 to 25 percent of missed games that we'll never get back, all over 2 percent [of basketball-related income] over an eight-to-10-year period [of the eventual collective bargaining agreement]. And let's be honest: 60 to 70 percent of players won't even be in the league when the next CBA comes around."

[...]

"When players are negotiating as free agents, we're always saying, 'Well I'm going to do what's best for my family,'" he wrote. "So now we're lying, because right now, losing money isn't helping our families at all. I'm not criticizing the fight our union is doing, because they have been in every meeting adding up to countless hours and have been breaking down every number possible. I believe in them and know they have the best interest for us. My opinion -- which is just one of 450 players -- is that if it comes down to losing a season and 100 percent of the money, we all definitely have to sit down and think about reality. That doesn't sound smart to possibly become part of the country's growing unemployment rate."
Link

Talking from a purely self-interested perspective, you can't really argue with Martin's logic.  A player's window to make money in the NBA is limited to begin with, so losing a year or more of that window to hold out for things that may not have that much effect on you doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  And Martin is better than just a rank-and-file player who is likely to be around for a while.  So, if he's thinking like this, I have to think a lot of the 450 players are too.    

Originally Posted by PMatic

yates-scoreboard.jpg

Owners are trying to run up the score.
30t6p3b.gif

The players might say **+% it and give a big **+% you to the owners.
grin.gif

Edit:
r8tu8n.jpg

Kevin Martin:
"If you know for sure [the owners] are not moving, then you take the best deal possible," Martin wrote in a text message to SI.com. "We are risking losing 20 to 25 percent of missed games that we'll never get back, all over 2 percent [of basketball-related income] over an eight-to-10-year period [of the eventual collective bargaining agreement]. And let's be honest: 60 to 70 percent of players won't even be in the league when the next CBA comes around."

[...]

"When players are negotiating as free agents, we're always saying, 'Well I'm going to do what's best for my family,'" he wrote. "So now we're lying, because right now, losing money isn't helping our families at all. I'm not criticizing the fight our union is doing, because they have been in every meeting adding up to countless hours and have been breaking down every number possible. I believe in them and know they have the best interest for us. My opinion -- which is just one of 450 players -- is that if it comes down to losing a season and 100 percent of the money, we all definitely have to sit down and think about reality. That doesn't sound smart to possibly become part of the country's growing unemployment rate."
Link

Talking from a purely self-interested perspective, you can't really argue with Martin's logic.  A player's window to make money in the NBA is limited to begin with, so losing a year or more of that window to hold out for things that may not have that much effect on you doesn't make a whole lot of sense.  And Martin is better than just a rank-and-file player who is likely to be around for a while.  So, if he's thinking like this, I have to think a lot of the 450 players are too.    

Just because the owners have leverage it doesn't mean that they have to absolutely demolish the players union. It can have long term consequences.

You don't want disgruntled players. You don't want the owners to feel like they can do this every 7 years.

How about the owners give back one point or concede a system change? As a sign of good faith or a truce.

I just don't like this while idea that ohhh wow the owners have leverage, those moron players better bow down and take the deal now. Because the owners have leverage. And leverage is all that matters. This is supposed to be a negotiation.

Just because the owners have leverage it doesn't mean that they have to absolutely demolish the players union. It can have long term consequences.

You don't want disgruntled players. You don't want the owners to feel like they can do this every 7 years.

How about the owners give back one point or concede a system change? As a sign of good faith or a truce.

I just don't like this while idea that ohhh wow the owners have leverage, those moron players better bow down and take the deal now. Because the owners have leverage. And leverage is all that matters. This is supposed to be a negotiation.

The players need to take this deal. I don't think the majority of them want to miss NBA paychecks for the next year, possibly longer.

The players need to take this deal. I don't think the majority of them want to miss NBA paychecks for the next year, possibly longer.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Stern probably has some concessions in his back pocket to make the players reconsider on Wednesday. If they still don't budge, then it gets nasty.

Stern probably has some concessions in his back pocket to make the players reconsider on Wednesday. If they still don't budge, then it gets nasty.

If this were Stern from two years ago I'd say he'd have a few concessions in his back pocket, but this generation of owners have taken all of his power away. Stern has essentially been reduced to an errand boy.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Or he'll just spin it in a way that will make the union feel better or viewed in a better light.
laugh.gif

If this were Stern from two years ago I'd say he'd have a few concessions in his back pocket, but this generation of owners have taken all of his power away. Stern has essentially been reduced to an errand boy.

Originally Posted by dmbrhs

Or he'll just spin it in a way that will make the union feel better or viewed in a better light.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom