The Official Off-Season NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Melo was traded there.

Nobody is clamoring to sign with the Knicks. Might as well move this team to Billings,Montana if they can’t attract free agents. NYC ain’t even the place to be anymore. Don’t even have the practice facility in the 5 boroughs. Players gotta live in bum *** westchester.

All I know is the sixers better not figure this **** out

wwe-triple-h.gif

Melo was traded there.

Nobody is clamoring to sign with the Knicks. Might as well move this team to Billings,Montana if they can’t attract free agents. NYC ain’t even the place to be anymore. Don’t even have the practice facility in the 5 boroughs. Players gotta live in bum *** westchester.

Zion’s career and moves have been so befuddling this far that he may actually be the next one to do it whether you’re looking at it being 12 or 20 years. He just wants to play with friends which is respectable

If Harden and Embiid can play to their standards and Maxey and dollar store J Cole can also play well, man this team is gonna be hard to beat.

This is what a championship type team has, 2 superstars, a bonafide 3rd option which should be Cole, a defensive stopper you can put on the other teams best guy in Thybulle, an energy type guy like Maxey and 3 point dudes, Green (lol) and Kork.

I like this alot. Very balanced.

The one thing I think will hurt us is not having a decent backup big. Unless doc figures out a small ball lineup with Harden, we are really going to hurt when Embiid sits out in close playoff games.

Bill shootin back :lol:

pmatic pmatic
1645906710737.png

The most egregious violation Friday night didn’t occur when LeBron James stepped out of bounds. It came instead when the referees dared to broaden the scope of a review to actually get the call right.

And LeBron may have pushed for the Russell Westbrook trade and signed off on the rest of the roster, but he doesn’t bear responsibility for this trainwreck season because, he said, “I don’t press any buttons. That’s what our front office is for.”

And those comments he made over All-Star weekend that left everybody prepping for his Lakers exit? Well… those were someone else’s fault, too.

“It’s weird,” James told a roomful of reporters, “that you guys — well not you guys, whoever started this whole thing… Bill doesn’t like the Lakers, anyway. It’s always going to be a negative.”

Bill is a very common name. He probably means a different Bill.

“Anytime Bill says anything about the Lakers it’s going to be negative,” James repeated.

Bill could be anyb—

“So, I hope no one in the Lakers faithful listens to Bill Oram. I hope not. He hasn’t said one great thing about the Lakers in so long.”

Oh.

My sin? Attempting to interpret the famously calculating star’s remarks.

LeBron was smiling. He was just teasing.

At least I think he was.

But in my defense, what exactly has there been to like about the Lakers?

After a 105-102 loss to the Clippers Friday night, they are 27-32, five games under .500 and now 2 1/2 games behind the Clippers for eighth in the West. It was a game that turned on a nearly 8-minute review with 26 seconds left, when officials determined James had stepped out of bounds and awarded the ball to the Clippers.

James groused that the review, triggered by Clippers’ coach Tyronn Lue, should have been limited to the initial question of whether Robert Covington, who had intercepted James’ desperate pass, was out of bounds himself.

Instead, officials determined James’ efforts to save the ball on the baseline were part of the same sequence and therefore subject to review.

“That would be like if I was going down the floor, and I traveled,” James said, “but the refs called a foul. (If) you challenge it, they’re not going to go back and say, ‘Well, you traveled.’ It’s never happened.’”

Coach Frank Vogel, as fired up as he’s been in his Lakers tenure, called the decision “B.S.”

Actual basketball drama was a welcome respite from the palace intrigue of the past week, but it didn’t mean the juicy stuff was just over.

The white-knuckling was perhaps inevitable after James, at 37, has consistently played at an MVP level and gotten inconsistent and insufficient help from his chosen cast of supporting actors.

He should be peeved.

And no matter how he tries to spin it now, you’d best believe he is.

He certainly was cranky in the buildup to the trade deadline and even more so in the aftermath of Rob Pelinka failing to make a move to improve the roster around him. During his All-Star homecoming, James spoke with The Athletic’s Jason Lloyd and stirred up a bona fide maelstrom.

Those are the buttons he pushes.

In the six days since those comments, he didn’t use his sizable social media platform to clear up any confusion or declare something resembling loyalty to the Lakers.

It wasn’t until a couple of hours before tipoff Friday that ESPN reported Pelinka, Lakers owner Jeanie Buss and Rich Paul, James’ agent, met Tuesday to clear the air and for Paul to reassert James’ commitment to the franchise.

It was all a big misunderstanding, you see?

LeBron is asking us to ignore 19 years of passive-aggressive maneuvers and subtweets and to take his comments about possibly returning to play in Cleveland and his glowing endorsements of Sam Presti, Koby Altman and Les “**** Them Picks” Snead at face value.

No subtext.

No implications.

No pressure being applied on the Lakers.

Nothing to see here, folks.

By Friday night, LeBron was completely on message and left no room for interpretation.

When I asked him how confident he was that the Lakers front office would be able to build contending rosters around him for as long as he remains in Los Angeles, he seemed to bear none of the scars of this losing season.

“Very confident,” James said. “They’ve done it. They’ve shown me that. Ever since I got here, the front office of Jeanie, Linda (Rambis), Kurt (Rambis), everybody has welcomed me with open arms and has given me an opportunity to play for a historical franchise and welcomed my family in.”

Should we not note that James failed to include Pelinka in that list? Do we chalk it up to a clerical error?

James did say he sees himself with the Lakers “as long as I can play,” which should ease the fears of any fans who saw his Cleveland comments as a declaration of intention rather than simple saber-rattling.

All that was missing on Friday, after a week of chaos, was just some baseline accountability. James shares in the responsibility for this punchless season, but he can’t bring himself to share that publicly.

Instead, we got: “I don’t push the buttons. They ask for my opinion, and I voice my opinion and what I believe.”

Same with the flap LeBron created while in Cleveland.

His comments created a crisis for the Lakers. If they hadn’t, then it wouldn’t have required a meeting between the Lakers’ key stakeholders that, The Athletic’s Sam Amick reported, spanned two hours.

What were they doing in there? Comparing Wordle scores?

No, they were getting back on the same page after becoming so severely splintered.

That was the widely perceived purpose of James hinting at his wandering eye. To get the Lakers attention and remind them of the precious commodity they have in this ageless wonder.

Because he is the one great thing about the Lakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom