The Official Off-Season NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brooklyn would be foolish to let Nash walk but they did the same with Kidd so I wouldn’t be surprised.

I'm not saying they should let him walk. But in this Chinese sponsored Super Team knock off, what has he demonstrated in savvy coaching? The team doesn't play defense. The two stars thrive on iso ball.

Through a rough start, Ime Udoka has demonstrated his chops.

I could see another team hiring Frank Vogel. He's a competent coach. Just happened to go into a culture of Winning Time.

I'm not saying they should let him walk. But in this Chinese sponsored Super Team knock off, what has he demonstrated in savvy coaching? The team doesn't play defense. The two stars thrive on iso ball.

Through a rough start, Ime Udoka has demonstrated his chops.

I could see another team hiring Frank Vogel. He's a competent coach. Just happened to go into a culture of Winning Time.

The Lakers didn't play defense this year. Was that Frank Vogel's fault?

Or is personnel what matters more?

The Lakers didn't play defense this year. Was that Frank Vogel's fault?

Or is personnel what matters more?
Are we shifting the question from Steve Nash to Frank Vogel?

I agree this was a bad year for the Lakers on so many levels lol. We know from his initial years with the Lakers, Indiana, etc, we know Vogel is a coach that emphasizes good defense.

But it really is difficult to evaluate a coach who has to "coach" Lebron James.

Are we shifting the question from Steve Nash to Frank Vogel?

I agree this was a bad year for the Lakers on so many levels lol. We know from his initial years with the Lakers, Indiana, etc, we know Vogel is a coach that emphasizes good defense.

But it really is difficult to evaluate a coach who has to "coach" Lebron James.

It was a clear comparison to your assertion that Steve Nash is why the Brooklyn Nets don't play defense.

I'm saying they didn't have the personnel...just like the Lakers didn't.

How are the Nets supposed to defend with a plethora of small guards...Kevin Durant and Andre Drummond? Conversely...how were the Lakers supposed to defend when they literally traded their perimeter defense for Russell Westbrook and then replaced them with old vets on 1 year minimum deals?

When stars are involved....coaches are the EASIEST scapegoat. No one will care about the x's and o's, roster management, or any other variables.

How do you build a defensive game plan around part-time Kyrie, and a regulars rotation that often included some combination of Joe Harris, Seth Curry, Andre Drummond, Nic Claxton, Patty Mills and Blake Griffin?

That is a great response. I guess my question, given the circumstances, should the Nets keep Nash?

As an organization (just like the Lakers), they definitely need to take a hard look at what hasn't worked and identify a strategy going forward.

There’s been so much weird, extra stuff going on in Brooklyn since Nash has been there - on top of less-than-ideal roster construction- that I honestly don’t know what kind of a coach he is/can be.

It was a clear comparison to your assertion that Steve Nash is why the Brooklyn Nets don't play defense.

I'm saying they didn't have the personnel...just like the Lakers didn't.

How are the Nets supposed to defend with a plethora of small guards...Kevin Durant and Andre Drummond? Conversely...how were the Lakers supposed to defend when they literally traded their perimeter defense for Russell Westbrook and then replaced them with old vets on 1 year minimum deals?

When stars are involved....coaches are the EASIEST scapegoat. No one will care about the x's and o's, roster management, or any other variables.
apart from that, it's not like the Nets didn't have a good team. a really solid and better Celtics team beat them as well. a sweep does look bad but it's not like they didn't compete like the Lakers. much like when the Lakers got swept by the Pistons in the late 80s and early 2000s. those weren't bad Lakers team, they were just outclassed despite having All-Stars. the 2022 Lakers though is an exception.

giphy.webp

This was an inevitable collision between Bron/Klutch vs the established Lakers front office, gon be interesting seeing how it plays out and who gets the ultimate blame in the end :lol:

Not really sure how anyone could really gather anything about what kind of coach Nash is from this tenure. Nobody on that team (that was available) can really play a lick of defense other than KD when he chooses. That's not Nash fault. One of the team's 2 stars also blatantly doesn't respect or listen to any type of coaching.

Their time to win was last season, when they could just overpower teams with their offense, but injuries got the best of them.

Not really sure how anyone could really gather anything about what kind of coach Nash is from this tenure. Nobody on that team (that was available) can really play a lick of defense other than KD when he chooses. That's not Nash fault. One of the team's 2 stars also blatantly doesn't respect or listen to any type of coaching.

Their time to win was last season, when they could just overpower teams with their offense, but injuries got the best of them.
their centers and power forwards are pretty much useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom