The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Didn't even think of that. I used a wet sensor cleaning kit on it today to try to get rid of it, but didn't make any difference at all. Going to try to swing by Borrow Lenses this weekend and see if they can take a look.

Yeah looks like funugs or mold but I wouldnt' mess with it if it's not affecting image quality. I doesn't look like it's actually on the sensor. You can see the border of the sensor and it doesn't look like it crosses onto it.

I'll check out 500px for sure. Curious as to why you recommend a long lens, I was planning on taking my 24mm

I've only been to Tam twice...once for a sunrise and once for a sunset/star/milky way event. All I know is there are hella spots to shoot from but there are a couple of prime spots that most people go to on the regular. If you go for a sunset time you have to be careful of where you park as they lock gates and give out citations if ya there too late.

here's a few of my pics:

Atop Mt Tam by ryan g, on Flickr

Tam Sunset by ryan g, on Flickr

Mt Tam Fog by ryan g, on Flickr

SunriseFogMtTam by ryan g, on Flickr

Mt Tam Sunrise by ryan g, on Flickr

@bjamez20 is the sensor cleaning kit the wet method? If so, I would get it checked out ASAP, looks like mold and you don't want it to get worse

@yanky shoot at your lens sweet spot should be around 35-100 @ f/5.6-8 IIRC. Also check out the Breakthrough 10 stop ND filter, expensive but read they are neutral and cheaper than Singh Ray.

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely do that!

I'll check out 500px for sure. Curious as to why you recommend a long lens, I was planning on taking my 24mm

I've only been to Tam twice...once for a sunrise and once for a sunset/star/milky way event. All I know is there are hella spots to shoot from but there are a couple of prime spots that most people go to on the regular. If you go for a sunset time you have to be careful of where you park as they lock gates and give out citations if ya there too late.

here's a few of my pics:

Nice pics! That's something I'm looking to achieve, looks like it's best to catch the sunrise but it's an hour drive |I

I'm guessing you used an nd filter for most of those except for the sunrise one maybe?

Yeah, those are great shots too - especially the one with the tongue out. I love the vintage feel of the film grain.

Yeah NT image compression really does a number on the overall sharpness of the image...

Eye balls are tack sharp :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

shot at 140mm 1/250 f/2.8 ISO 400

Already **EDIT** Popular on 500px :lol:

https://500px.com/photo/175112835/h...s-young?ctx_page=1&from=user&user_id=13916705

500px embed

34b265bd2ac2f88f3cf6a7b4e3f7c4a5

https://500px.com/photo/175112835/happily-engaged-by-james-young

NT

This image was tack sharp for me from the start. Or at least I could tell that it was.

:pimp:

The 24-70 2.8 II has made me question my relationship with my prime lenses :smh:

I haven't picked up my 35L or 50L for quite some time now.

In London for a few days so took a walk tonight. I was gutted that my battery died and I saw a few great shots after. I tucked it in my jeans for a bit but only got one more - the live view really sucks the battery and I forgot to charge it last night so it only had about half a charge. Next purchase will be a spare and possibly a battery grip.

Anyway got this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kdwallace/29471948234/in/dateposted/

Last edited:
thank guys ...

I'm glad that I was able to go out and do something this fall .... hope I can make it again.

ok yall i know we talked about the off focus pictures i posted before. well i shot the same person again today and had the same problem. this time i made sure to stay away from 1.8. i believe i have a back focus issue. any suggestions or ideas on what i should do?

heres proof of back focus issues.

heres lightroom with a plugin that shows where the focus point was

now heres the actual picture. the gate was more in focus then the face..

I'm not sure if this applies here but does anyone create video?

I made one not too long ago of my trip in Hawaii.

I want to make another video from other old footage I have but I'm having some creative troubles

I'm stuck putting things together in chronological order.

Any articles or videos that can help steer me away from that?

I guess I want to do more of music video type edits? I don't know how to explain it exactly.

Just how footage jumps back and forth and around. Is it actually just random?

Here's my Hawaii video for reference.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this applies here but does anyone create video?

I made one not too long ago of my trip in Hawaii.

I want to make another video from other old footage I have but I'm having some creative troubles

I'm stuck putting things together in chronological order.

Any articles or videos that can help steer me away from that?

I guess I want to do more of music video type edits? I don't know how to explain it exactly.

Just how footage jumps back and forth and around. Is it actually just random?

Here's my Hawaii video for reference.

edit is actually pretty dope in my opinion. footage isn't the cleanest/best but good enough lol

jordan novice jordan novice Im a little confused as to what you are asking to do. I have used After Effects & the iMovie software in the past to make movies with not much trouble. I'm confused with what problems you are having when you are saying stuff only goes in chronological order.

ok yall i know we talked about the off focus pictures i posted before. well i shot the same person again today and had the same problem. this time i made sure to stay away from 1.8. i believe i have a back focus issue. any suggestions or ideas on what i should do?

heres proof of back focus issues.

heres lightroom with a plugin that shows where the focus point was

I don't shoot with canon, so forgive my ignorance, but is it possible to do a lens autofocus fine tuning on that particular lens? Nikon allows you to create custom focusing profiles for a specific lens.

On a side note, one thing you might try is that before you take a picture like that, you can completely unfocus the lens, and then focus on the subject. I find that SOMETIMES, if you are focusing on something and it moves slightly, or you are focusing on something in the vicinity, it wont adjust to what you want to be focused on.

One way also you can test your focusing is to shoot at a ruler taped to the ground (and use a tripod). Pick a spot on the ruler, maybe the number 6 or something like that, and shoot at f1.8, and at a 45 degree-ish angle to the ruler. When you review the photo, ideally the 6's tick mark on the ruler would be in focus. It should help identify what is going on with your lenses and setup.

Back
Top Bottom