The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Starter camera for shoe pics? Something decent that gets the job done and is tasteful and moderately priced

T2i/550D and EF 50mm f/1.8 STM should be around $300 used. Plus you have access to tons of cheap Canon EF-S glass. There should be a Nikon equivalent as well.

Trying to find a Yashica T4 for a reasonable price :lol:

Been shooting exclusively on film but the camera i have right now is really hit or miss.

Trying to find a Yashica T4 for a reasonable price
laugh.gif

Been shooting exclusively on film but the camera i have right now is really hit or miss.
What are you shooting on right now?

I've been in such a photography rut lately, I decided to pick up an older film cam to see if it will spark some creativity. There's so much incredible stuff out there at (relatively) dirt cheap prices. Seems like a great time to get into film.

last minute post asking for expert opinions

found a canon t6i for a good price and also see a nikon D3300 for about $150 cheaper. the money isnt a problem if the t6i is gonna be that much better of a beginner camera...just wanted to see what the experts thought.

gonna purchase today.

thx in advance

Last edited:
Don't know much about Nikons, but that $150 could be used toward a cheap lens.

If you're looking at the D3300 you can also look at the T4i/T5i

good move to go down to the t4 or t5i if i can grab a t6i at a good price?

Don't know how much the t6i price is but have you looked into the 70d? Seen them go as low as $500s body only or $600-700 depending on the zoom lens included on Fred Miranda.

I've been in such a photography rut lately, I decided to pick up an older film cam to see if it will spark some creativity. There's so much incredible stuff out there at (relatively) dirt cheap prices. Seems like a great time to get into film.

eh, ruts/stagnation can/will happen, i guess a film camera is more deliberate but one could also just decide to be more deliberate...digital, film, iphone, doesn't really matter just have to #dowork. not saying getting into film won't spark something for you, but i think if you go in with that expectation; you might be setting yourself up for unnecessary disappointment/frustration

experimentation & inspiration are definitely useful but one still has to put in the work consistently...these are couple good quotes/resources in relation to this topic that may be helpful:

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who'll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you're sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that's almost never the case.”
― Chuck Close

Last edited:

I saw you use vintage glass, do you have any info on how to restore vintage manual lenses? Really want to try my hand, just need some info to start and the tools needed.

^happy belated G!

I saw you use vintage glass, do you have any info on how to restore vintage manual lenses? Really want to try my hand, just need some info to start and the tools needed.

generally the lenses i have attempted to fix had very minor issues, so other than the obvious, be patient and using the internets as a resource, i didn't really have/use any special insight ...i like tinkering with things and i've come up on some really inexpensive legacy glass so there wasn't that much risk involved for me to attempt to repair or take apart lenses that needed cleaning.

some lenses can be really simple, but then you have some that are really complex, and it is difficult to know off top which any particular lens will be. for example i took apart a canon FD lens that had a stuck aperture blades, having looked it up on the web there were a few different versions of this particular lens, couldn't figure out which version i had and when i got it apart, a million ball bearings spill out...still looking for them things around my apartment...

as for tools, again other than the obvious, a simple small screwdriver toolkit, i don't really know what other tools to use...if you interested in on tips repairing lenses it might be helpful to hit up a camera shop for advice or talking to a person that does the CLA'ing?

last minute post asking for expert opinions

found a canon t6i for a good price and also see a nikon D3300 for about $150 cheaper. the money isnt a problem if the t6i is gonna be that much better of a beginner camera...just wanted to see what the experts thought.

gonna purchase today.

thx in advance

This is interesting. Take a look at this.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T6i-vs-Nikon-D3300/detailed

Are you buying used? Condition matters. Also try and see if you can get a shutter count. If you're buying used of course.

This is interesting. Take a look at this.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T6i-vs-Nikon-D3300/detailed

Are you buying used? Condition matters. Also try and see if you can get a shutter count. If you're buying used of course.

Thanks all for the help. I decided to begin with a Nikon d3300. It's brand new just like the t6i was as well. I do have a preference for Canon just like most in this thread but I figured for the money, the d3300 was a better buy. And, very comparable to t5i or t6i...even rated higher by some sites.

We'll see how it goes, if I'm not happy, I'll sell the nikon and go with a t6i.

I guess the sneaker head in me kicked in because I took the extra money in my budget and grabbed some v1 ultra boost core blacks #kanyeshrug

Last edited:
Thanks all for the help. I decided to begin with a Nikon d3300. It's brand new just like the t6i was as well. I do have a preference for Canon just like most in this thread but I figured for the money, the d3300 was a better buy. And, very comparable to t5i or t6i...even rated higher by some sites.

We'll see how it goes, if I'm not happy, I'll sell the nikon and go with a t6i.

Awesome. Sounds like a good plan! Happy shooting, homie!

i have an amateur question. when taking a portrait from close distance with the subject facing directly at the camera, how are you supposed to focus with larger f-stops when in low lit situations to prioritize focus on the eyes? are you supposed to manually focus until both eyes are in focus because each is equidistant from the lens, select the focus point on only one eye, or focus between the eyes? not sure what is the correct approach to this

Back
Top Bottom