The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Howlongtobeat has Frozen Wilds at

7.5 hours for the main
12.5 for main+extras
17.5 for the completionist.

I'm hoping Burning shores is a somewhat bigger DLC.
Especially since it seems like we won't get the 3rd game for a min.

Still need to play Frozen Wilds. I'll try start it up during the weekend

Major mistake in starting Far Cry 6 and Horizon: FW at the same time.

Quite apparent I cant play two open world games at the same time. Trying to rush through FC6 and get back to FW.

TLDR+++

(Not a product review, just some friendly PlayStation experience-enrichment advice.)

As mentioned previously, I am updating a handful of items in my gaming/racing sim set-up in anticipation of PSVR2 in a few weeks. Well, I ran into a pretty impactful PS5 audio limitation trying to split the audio coming from the dualsense 3.5mm jack. Using a high-quality Y-splitter cable, I was trying to feed audio to both my ButtKicker amplifier and the Pulse 3Ds. Primarily because there is no other audio out besides a Bluetooth dongle device and HDMI on the PS5.

Well, the dualsense controller simply didn’t have enough amperage to feed both devices without resulting in significantly less volume/loudness and introducing a constant nasty high-frequency noise. The combined impedance of the ButtKicker amp and the Pulse 3D’s tanked the poor thing… I knew the dualsense was sort of down on power because I tried using my Beyerdynamic studio headphones at launch and it didn't go well. The sound was still ultra clean and clear but too low at max volume… Anyhoo, after discovering this issue, I had a few goals:

• Find a way to feed strong, crisp, clear audio signals to both my headphones and the transducer amp.
  • Must retain the ability to use all chat/mic capabilities.
  • Avoid disturbing the HDMI 2.1 signal going directly to my display (switches, receivers, etc.)
  • Avoid any other types of cable splitters to avoid introducing any signal loss, artifacts or noise.
  • Avoid Bluetooth-based solutions as I royally suck at keeping headphones charged and don’t want to add anything else that requires charging.
  • Avoid adding another cluster of cables, clutter, AC adapters, etc. to my set-up.
So, after working through the troubleshooting stages and then moving on to research for a solution, I discovered the PlayStation's native ability to run external USB soundcards without any fuss - no apps or drivers required. Just plug it in a USB port (front or back) go to audio settings and change the output to the sound card (you will see it by name) – voila, problem solved!

Ultimately, I went with a tried and trusted Sound Blaster DAC amp model. USB-only powered solution with proven quality, some added features and well-known superior results but there are many options depending on your budget and goals for the upgrade. Sonically, I am shocked at how much was being left on the table – especially considering how much effort goes into the mix and sound effects of the top tier titles. I’m guessing much of this has to do with making sure all of the PlayStation audio stuff is somewhat “kids safe”. The 3D spatialization, highs, and lows are all transformed and get you tons more information by adding some clean amplification. For >$100 you can jump into a different world that absolutely adds another level of immersion that we sometimes think less about after being so focused on graphics, panel tech, and framerates. I should mention, the <$50 options aren’t as impactful for amplification but they are still useful if you just need an analog audio out that is not embedded in your controller.

Cheers.

Hi-Fi Rush is the first Xbox exclusive I have been jealous of in a while.

Ahhhh Sony can you please include this in the Microsoft-EU Anti-trust statement? Thank you. Something something parity of the industry something something fate of the world something something Microsoft is evil. You know, whatever nonsense it takes.

you'll download Mafia too to live out your Sopranos fantasies
1675117209967.gif

Hi-Fi Rush is the first Xbox exclusive I have been jealous of in a while.

Ahhhh Sony can you please include this in the Microsoft-EU Anti-trust statement? Thank you. Something something parity of the industry something something fate of the world something something Microsoft is evil. You know, whatever nonsense it takes.

Stop buying $200 controllers and buy an Xbox...

I’ll leave discussing the story to the dedicated thread but what other work out there does a wonderful job of translating a video games story to the screen?

Super Mario “appears” to be a home run. The Sonics were admirable and enjoyable kids movies (with good performances from Carey).
So far, some of the videogame movies/series adaptation has been quite solid in general. TLoU being the best so far. Jim Carrey has been amazing with his take on Dr. Robotnik. I don't mind the changes with TLoU as they made more sense and better.

Man I thought this said Evil West at first and I was like :wow: cuz that came just came out and has been in my wishlist since.

Should've know it was too good to be true. :lol:

Guess I'll add Mafia.

Howlongtobeat has Frozen Wilds at

7.5 hours for the main
12.5 for main+extras
17.5 for the completionist.

I'm hoping Burning shores is a somewhat bigger DLC.
Especially since it seems like we won't get the 3rd game for a min.

Literally memba'd the howlongtobeat site after I posted that question about Frozen Wilds.

Also, anyone checking for Like A Dragon Ishin?

It drops next month and is piquing my interest from the clips I've seen.

Man I used to want to go to E3 so bad. Went to CES one year when I worked for Verizon but I already know I knocked up a cosplayer in a alternate universe. Probably hated my BM too.

Technically MS isn’t a part but they still are across the street in the MS theater and will have a press conference. It’s just not officially E3. And nintendo is likely gearing up for the next switch and Zelda will have already been out so there’s not much reason to be there

was a good move for sony to start doing their own conferences than going to e3 makes it easier to draw an audience and present the games you have for sale on your time sort of like those apple events

seems like covid was the nail in the coffin for e3

I think not being pressured to have a demo or trailer ready for E3 was great for developers because it removed unnecessary pressure. It just sucks for the fans, obviously.

Back
Top Bottom