The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | State of Play Today | Death Stranding 2 | Silent Hill on PSN | Hell Divers | Stellar Blade | Rise of Ronin

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

We already knew why Microsoft, Phil Spencer, and RustyShackleford RustyShackleford want the sale of Activision to go through so badly :lol:

In the same survey, it was shown that most PS gamers would not switch to Xbox if Playstation lost Call of Duty.

PlayStation would be fine without CoD. And players wouldn't even have to worry about potentially losing CoD until a decade from now at earliest.

In the near term, MS wants to grow GamePass, and have a hook get a mobile marketplace up to Challenge Apple and Google.

Sony is kicking and screaming because they are the market leader and one thing you learn about market leaders is that like the status quo. Sony doesn't like the idea of the competition being in a stronger market position. It is basic economic rent seeking.

They can kill the deal, I really don't care that much beyond some jokes, MS does pay me. But as an economist I find the reasoning against the deal to be bad. The economic case for the deal is way stronger than against it. Kill it for a good reason at least

Last edited:
Sony has more new multiplayer FPS games in development than MS and Activision combined

Y'all will be alright now matter what

In the same survey, it was shown that most PS gamers would not switch to Xbox if Playstation lost Call of Duty.

PlayStation would be fine without CoD. And players wouldn't even have to worry about potentially losing CoD until a decade from now at earliest.

In the near term, MS wants to grow GamePass, and have a hook get a mobile marketplace up to Challenge Apple and Google.

Sony is kicking and screaming because they are the market leader and one thing you learn about market leaders is that like the status quo. Sony doesn't like the idea of the competition being in a stronger market position. It is basic economic rent seeking.

They can kill the deal, I really don't care that much beyond some jokes, MS does pay me. But as an economist I find the reasoning against the deal to be bad. The economic case for the deal is way stronger than against it. Kill it for a good reason at least

Well how would you feel if sony acquired EA, take two, and/or square Enix as a response?

Well how would you feel if sony acquired EA, take two, and/or square Enix as a response?
I honestly would not care

Especially Square.

Sony already pays for Xbox not to get their games. As a gamer I lose nothing, the impact to the market is negligible

Like I get you guys know me for the console war jokes, but seriously, my comments are from actual issues I have with the economic reasoning

Regulators should let Sony buy Square without issue. EA would be a tougher sell because Sony is the market leader, but EA's sports games contracts already mandate them be on Xbox. So do their licensed games

So while I like some of the games EA puts out, I don't think them denying Xbox players Bioware, Respawn, and DICE games, is enough to kill that deal either

Activision isn’t going to keep their games off of PS but I highly doubt they’re willing to reup that marketing contract with Sony after this.

I think it's within their rights to selloff to whomever. PlayStation need to quit moaning and get back to COD-killer Killzone anyway.
Fr though, that Kotick guy got that face you wanna slap with a chair.

Activision isn’t going to keep their games off of PS but I highly doubt they’re willing to reup that marketing contract with Sony after this.

I don't understand why they even switched to Sony for the contract int he first place since MS could always offer them more money.
My guess is it's somethiing to do with the install base of PS4 vs XB1 at the time but alwasy thought who ever offered more money got the deal.

Sony got both COD and Destiny rights from Activision but yea the relationship is going to be frosty from now on.

I think it's within their rights to selloff to whomever. PlayStation need to quit moaning and get back to COD-killer Killzone anyway.
Fr though, that Kotick guy got that face you wanna slap with a chair.

Not sure how much power or Influence Sony has. As far as I know, it's regulators that have the power to block the deal and they've made their case irrespecitve of Sony.
I could be wrong and Sony has deployed legions of lawyers to convince regulators to to block the deal but that seems unlikely. I don't think they have that kind of influence.

CMA in the UK's response is on the previous page. FTC said something similar and I think the EU is yet to make their own statement too. It doesn't help that MS said Bethesda games won't be exclusive. I don't even remember that but apparently it happened.

1676029256752.png

1676029288367.png

It's more likely regulators don't want to see big tech get more power. They blocked the NVIDIA and ARM deal and that was a $40 Billion dollar acquisition so this deal of $69 Billion for ABK would've got alarm bells ringing even if Sony was quiet.

In my store, it says it's for PS4... but I can still play that on PS5, right? I've don't think I've tried doing something like that before. 😅🤔

Yea, PS5 is backwards compatible with PS4.

Past couple of years I have been really into city building/city building survival games (Frostpunk, Subnautica, Surviving the Aftermath, Tribes of Midgar, ect) which I think stemmed from Death Stranding maybe?

Anyway, took a flyer on a game on sale, ($10) hoping it turns out to be decent:

Back
Top Bottom