The Official PlayStation Thread Vol. 5 | Wukong is AVAILABLE NOW.

Did you copy a PlayStation 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dipped into my backlog and finally started Horizon Zero Dawn.

Made me realize that PS5 and dat SSD got me spoiled man. :lol:

Waiting on the HZD loading screen for what felt like forever had me like:

stream

:lol:
I gotta LOVE the game to sit through load times now.
Think the only open world game I'd wait to load is RDR2

I tried Wo Long through game pass and wasn’t feeling it. It felt like a step backwards compared to Nioh 2.

I think I’ve had difficult game fatigue so don’t see myself playing that game for a long time. Played elden ring, ds3, and demons souls in the span of a year.

Smartphones killed the Vita. Non proprietary memory cards and all of Sony's first party devs on board would not have saved it. It was doomed from the start

People didn't need a separate device for games or media anymore. PSP was dead in Europe and NA towards the latter part of its life. It was only Japan keeping it alive with Monster Hunter leading the charge.
Vita had exclusive COD and Assassin's Creed titles which did not boost sales because the demand for portables in the west dried up. Most of Sony's big first party games also do not translate well to portables so there's nothing they could've done. You had Uncharted at launch but with worse graphics and no set pieces because of the hardware so it will not get the attention the PS3 or PS4 versions get. Same thing happened with the GOW and GT games on PSP.

Sony also tried to keep it on life support in Japan with the absence of Monster Hunter with Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice but it was never going to see PSP numbers.
Japanese third party support dropped too compared to the PSP especially from Capcom and Square.

3DS with Pokemon and Monster Hunter which the DS didn't have sold less than the PSP just to show you the decline in handhelds was felt by everyone.

Sony cut off portables. Nintendo fused their portable and console division into one and went hybrid.

Some people say handhelds are back because of the Switch and Steam Deck but Switch is the only way to play Nintendo games so you have no choice and even then they needed to inject some power into it and make it versatile. The standard and OLED version sell a lot more than the non hybrid lite version and the lite version is cheaper. Here's last week sales from Japan as an example and they prefer portables:

1680807586120.png

The Steam Deck sold 1 million in 1 year and it is heavily subsidized by Valve. Vita sold 12 million lifetime to put it in perspective.
well partly. aside from the obvious that Sony didn't fully support or market the system and the attempt to make money out of it thru proprietary hardware made it a lot less palatable. also, Smartphone gaming and monetizing was at it's popularity. the 3DS system was able to survive due to it being heavily established earlier and having popular carrier games on it. I don't think Vita has those while they did offer some good 3rd party games. I don't believe handhelds are out but became more flexible and has more options. the Switch on the otherhand, killed the 3DS.

Last edited:
3DS had been out for 6 years already, I think it got its run. I do remember 3DS being a bit of a flop out the gate. They had to introduce the ambassador program for early adopters.

DS was out, 3DS came out only 9 months prior to the PSVita
I was replying to buddy above regarding Switch killing 3DS.

I’m not sure what you mean when you mention DS being out already and Vita dropping after 3DS. I’m legit confused bro :lol:

Wow, I just modded my PS Vita after the talk on here and… HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

It’s insanely easy now and you don’t need to connect it to a PC AT ALL. You just go in the vita browser, type up a certain site, and it does most of the work for you. Legit took me only 5 min to do it, 15 min overall to download the required apps.

Basically have access to the full ps1/psp/vita library.

Last edited:
3DS had been out for 6 years already, I think it got its run. I do remember 3DS being a bit of a flop out the gate. They had to introduce the ambassador program for early adopters.
exactly, pretty much the time the Switch came out. sometimes, I was thinking of whether I should have transitioned to the Switch and sold my n3DS unit early on while there was still high demand for it. might put it up now since I needed some dough to make some new purchases regardless of how much the value has decreased. mine though is partially modded as I replaced the memory to a much bigger capacity. I still haven't played some 2-3 games that I bought for it extensively though but no matter.

I need to find my 3DS charger

I also have no idea where my PSP or Vita is... its around here somewhere.

GT7 in VR is :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Game is a lot sharper than Horizon. I might have to go back and compare but I should've finished Horizon before playing this in VR. It might get neglected now.

Picked my starter Pokemon, I mean Japanese compact car and just going through the licenses.
I've never used the interior view in GT because on pancake mode so this may be the first one where my entire experience will be inside the car.

well partly. aside from the obvious that Sony didn't fully support or market the system and the attempt to make money out of it thru proprietary hardware made it a lot less palatable. also, Smartphone gaming and monetizing was at it's popularity. the 3DS system was able to survive due to it being heavily established earlier and having popular carrier games on it. I don't think Vita has those while they did offer some good 3rd party games. I don't believe handhelds are out but became more flexible and options. the Switch on the otherhand, killed the 3DS.

Sony did support it. I don't think Assassins Creed and COD was because Ubisoft and Activision genuinely wanted to support the platform. Once Sony and third parties saw that not even the biggest franchies in the west could save it, the support dropped like a rock and then they focused on Japan because the west was done with handhelds.

My main point though is that proprietary memory is not even close to being the main reason it failed like most people say. PSP had proprietary memory too and that sold 80 Mllion which is more than the 3DS. If the Switch had proprietary memory, people will still buy it to get their Pokemon, Mario and Zelda fix. Proprietary memory has never been a deal breaker for any console. People moan about it but they will put up with it. X360 had you buying a proprieatry Wi-Fi adapter of all things but it worked out.

Like Ricky said, Switch did not kill the 3DS, It came out 6 years after the 3DS. 3DS stumbled out of the gate and Nintendo had to announce a $80 price cut after 6 months because sales were so bad. Handhelds were on the ropes because the world had moved on. 3DS survived because it had Pokemon and Monster Hunter. You weren't getting those games on the Wii-U. The DS didn't have Monster Hunter and it sold over twice as much. 50% reduction in sales from DS to 3DS is crazy but the casual crowd that played Nintendogs and Brain Training on the DS were gone because the app stores gave you all that on your smartphone.

This is why im saying it doesnt matter how much support Sony put in because it wouldn't change a thing. If you find a girl ugly, her wearing makeup won't change your mind. Same thing with handhelds.

Nintendo was able to salvage this because they went hybrid so now all their flagship titles are now on the Switch. It's the only way to play anything they make and It's their most powerful system so nothing is watered down whilst also being portable.

For Sony though, all you can get on their handhelds are spin off's. You will never get a mainline first party title on a handheld because of the weaker hardware and no one wants a sub-par experience for the blockbuster stuff Sony is known for so Vita never stood a chance and neither will any future Sony Handheld.

As big as games like AC and COD are, I don't think I ever wanted them on Vita. Vita really should have had real L2/R2 buttons too. 3rd party support is huge but Sony also is sitting on IPs that may have been big for Vita; Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank etc. Hell they could have revived Wild ARMs and Legend of Dragoon on there. If Sony isn't supporting the platform, why should anybody else?

How are ya'll feeling about the future of PSVR2? I wanted to cop but I won't until it's $400 or less. $550 for niche product is wild, imo. That's not including the fact you have to own a PS5 also. Sony's support for Vita has me even more worried unless the sales for PSVR2 start to pickup.

I think ragnarok is one of those AAA’s that anyone who would play HFW in the first place would enjoy. It’s not a dialogue/cutscene-athon and has much better pacing and superior combat. I have no regrets playing HFW but there’s a part of me that felt the best format to tell that story would have been a tv show. On the other hand getting to experience being in the shoes of the characters in ragnarok is the best way to experience that story.

Im ashamed to say both were my most anticipated PS5 games... and I have hardly put any time into either. I am ashamed.

Back
Top Bottom