The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

I've been absent for a while, good to be back. 
smile.gif

Glad to see you guys still active.

Genie hired Vika's coach Sam Sumyk. Excellent pick up for her. Sam and Vika had a great run

I wonder if Venus is playing Indian Wells since Serena is. I was shocked when that announcement was made. They paid the no show fine for 10+ years. Never thought I'd see the day again.

I kinda hoped Serena would continue to sit that tourney out

That place and their fans don't deserve her greatness.
Details? I live on the East Coast but I'm going to be in Cali around the time of Indian Wells this year, I was thinking of going

Details? I live on the East Coast but I'm going to be in Cali around the time of Indian Wells this year, I was thinking of going

Back in 2001, Venus and Serena were set to play in the Semi Finals of Indian Wells. Earlier in the tournament Elena Dementieva hinted that Richard Williams (their dad) fixed their matches (she claimed it was a joke but during that time the tennis establishment hated the sisters and looked for any reason to discredit them) . Venus notified tournament officials hours before the scheduled semi finals match that she was injured and she would have to pull out. Tournament officials made the strategic and financial move to wait to notify fans minutes before the match that Venus was pulling out of her match against Serena. The match fixing narrative that Dementieva and others had perpetuated the entire week culminated in the finals where Serena faced Kim Clijsters. The fans booed Serena mercilessly throughout the entire match. Venus and Richard were also booed mercilessly and Richard claimed that some racial slurs were thrown his way.

Martina was a beast in her day. She just couldn't hold off the power players of her generation and the following generation. She had some of the best court awareness of any player I've ever seen.

I think time and the coke suspension have mellowed Martina out. Those Hingis, Kournikova, Williams Sister's, Davenport behind the scenes drama was crazy. They hated each other. I still remember when Martina and Serena went at it in the media during the US Open.

Everyone's hating on poor Genie 
tongue.gif

Her serve didn't do her any favors that's for sure.

Looked lost out there tbh.

I've seen many Genie's come and go over the years. She needs to fix her game in a hurry because if she's not careful players like Keys and Muguruza will pass her by. She plays an extremely high risk game without the devastating power to make opponents fear you. Once her opponents absorb her first or second shot, her technique breaks down and she'll lose the point on an unforced error.

Back
Top Bottom