The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

I agree, but comparing eras like that isn't so simple with tennis.

Steffi was ahead of her time, but playing all-time competition. Serena is definitely the most dominant, but against far inferior talent to play.

Nothing there is arguable.

What about Seles getting stabbed? Steffi ran up the total after Monica got stabbed. Many people, myself included wonder if Steffi gets to 22 if she had to play Seles more during that time span. Those ladies were very even during that time and went back and forth on majors. Steffi won her first 8 slams before Monica came along. Monica comes along then she only wins 2 of the next 12 because Monica was winning. After Monica gets stabbed Steffi starts dominating again. Not to take anything away from Steffi, but Monica getting stabbed was a big factor.

Last edited:
While the conversation is poppin', where do folks stand on the best ever for the men?

Sampras, Federer, Nadal?...Others?

Nadal for me. Dude gives Roger them hands on a consistent basis and even though he has fewer slams, all things being equal in his prime I take Nadal over everyone. Roger is great but Rafa's mental toughness and drive are almost second to none.

I know abc is under the same umbrella as espn and was watching abc news this morning and the female anchors just said serena was the greatest athlete ever. I'm watching espn now and the tennis people just said she was the greatest woman's tennis player ever.

Sad for Venus but glad for Serena at the same time :lol:

What a champion :pimp:

Can't wait for the men's final,hopefully we're in for another treat

I'll take a good nap this afternoon so I can watch the final later. Hope it's competitive.

Didn't watch any tennis today, but what an achievement!  Incredible.  

Too much firepower for Venus?  An equally incredible run by her. 

2017+Australian+Open+Day+13+oN7bBfErlXjx.jpg

2017+Australian+Open+Day+13+nuiQw7ZiP-Px.jpg

2017+Australian+Open+Day+13+DMJN0vvDR5Vx.jpg

2017+Australian+Open+Day+13+xbEyi7yg2QEx.jpg

Props to MJ for sending Serena the kicks and the letter. Venus lost because she panics during long rallies and unloads on shots too early resulting in an unforced error. Venus had tons of chances in this match but her same problems showed up at the wrong time.

I'd take Sampras. Federer has the more complete game, but Pete could impose his will on any player with that serve, Volley, and forehand.

Almost everybody tweeted congrats to Serena (even if they didn't mean it) except Sharapova lol. I do admire her for keeping the beef alive but I can't wait to see her get destroyed again. It'll bring some normalcy back to the WTA.

Why do they have beef? Just because serena beat her all the time? Recently I know they both dated Grigor and then serena made comments that he couldn't be trusted when he was with maria.

Almost everybody tweeted congrats to Serena (even if they didn't mean it) except Sharapova lol. I do admire her for keeping the beef alive but I can't wait to see her get destroyed again. It'll bring some normalcy back to the WTA.

She's probably doped on Meldonium. Nasha Bonds is a scumbag drug cheat.

Drank an energy drink at 12 but still feeling tired. Probably won't make it past an hour :lol:

Back
Top Bottom