The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

Halep really choked out there. Her opponent played well enough but Halep had at one point in the 3rd set 8 winners to 9 unforced errors. She needs to be more aggressive but she failed. Halep is a very nice person but I question if she has the "Dog" in her to be great. No excuse for losing. :smh:

Last edited:
Her attitude is also terrible. It's so bad that her coach actually quit on her in the middle of a tournament. She played passive tennis and hoped for mistakes from Ostapenko. That's not what champions do.

Her attitude is also terrible. It's so bad that her coach actually quit on her in the middle of a tournament. She played passive tennis and hoped for mistakes from Ostapenko. That's not what champions do.

Halep was hoping to win rather than fighting to win. Her mindset in this match was awful. Meldo, Vika, Serena were out. Garbine played like Garbage, Caro was never a threat, Aga is who we thought she was, Kerber can't handle the pressure of being #1. If you would've told Halep all she had to do was beat Ostapenko to win a slam she would've laughed and wouldn't believe you. I hope Halep eventually wins a slam but her showing today was pathetic and maybe we should cue the Kool Aid meme for her like we did for Roddick.

Glad to see la decima at Roland Garros for Rafa in his trademark dominant fashion :smokin :smokin :smokin

Last edited:
The King of Clay regains his rightful place on the throne :pimp:

Last edited:
Excellent Work Rafa. Would've been sweeter if he washed Fed

Last edited:
Damn Rafa is something else man. King of clay indeed.

Is anyone gonna step up and be heir to the top and let the playing legends(Rafa and Federer) ride off into the sunset?

Halep was hoping to win rather than fighting to win. Her mindset in this match was awful. Meldo, Vika, Serena were out. Garbine played like Garbage, Caro was never a threat, Aga is who we thought she was, Kerber can't handle the pressure of being #1. If you would've told Halep all she had to do was beat Ostapenko to win a slam she would've laughed and wouldn't believe you. I hope Halep eventually wins a slam but her showing today was pathetic and maybe we should cue the Kool Aid meme for her like we did for Roddick.

Wozniacki part deux

Haven't had much time to go thru the pics this tourney and post, so I'll just stick with the finals.

Simona... I think she's a more aggressive player than Caroline, but during that final, she definitely could have played with more aggression than she did.  At the same time, I can't be too critical of her cuz from the 1st set, her strategy was working... Penko got tight at a lot of critical points and made a ton of errors.  You don't need to over-do things if your opponent is self-destructing.  That changed in the 2nd and 3rd as Penko tightened up her game.  For Simona, telling her to play more aggressive is easier said than done.  From a lot of Penko's aggressive returns (especially on 2nd serves), Simona was already in a defensive position.  Hard to dictate points when you're falling backwards and being pushed behind the baseline.  

Given that Simona messed up her ankle in the Rome final, I'm surprised she did as well as she did.  

One thing's for sure, Penko's fun to watch, but I think she'll need to tone down her all-or-nothing approach.  It's great when your shots are landing... but can turn really ugly when things aren't going your way.  To win your first tour title at a Slam... incredible.

2017+French+Open+Day+Fourteen+Db3OavZL2mRx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fourteen+JdBB-6PWjIZx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fourteen+q7vssfXphztx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fourteen+nF967G5EoAgx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fourteen+JXeYU9Bz88Qx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fourteen+53hCyRbBomgx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fourteen+bFp54S-Q5sFx.jpg

Rafa... what a clay run... looked crazy sharp in Madrid, Barcelona and Rome.  Thiem was on fire in Rome and was just too good, but similar to Penko's game, it's hard to play like that all the time, going for so many winners.  Both will be fun to watch, if they don't burnout!

And the Triple Decima... insane.   Happy for Rafa given all his injuries over the past few years... especially last year when he played well, but had that wrist injury and was forced to withdraw. 

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+Po6CrOnY230x.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+GZN0B2r1qHbx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+9xxYQpM_FKNx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+1ngsAqakbqux.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+ZnW3_6c9T6Ax.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+zvjmNUkXTYRx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+P-qCF-AJPdAx.jpg

Great gesture by the FFT to bring Uncle Toni up... it's been quite a run for those two.

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+IkOIo-_EIV_x.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+74yHRKu_ZJNx.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+LvTe6sYBGV1x.jpg

2017+French+Open+Day+Fifteen+OJ1UHFUEvvxx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom