The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 US Open)

@shogun, Mia Malkova

Just saw the replay. I'm not gonna lie, when Rafa called for the trainer I was about to call him out for pulling a Djokovic, but it was definitely legit. As well as Stan played in the beginning, it's still tough for me to think he would have beat a healthy Rafa.

@shogun, Mia Malkova

Just saw the replay. I'm not gonna lie, when Rafa called for the trainer I was about to call him out for pulling a Djokovic, but it was definitely legit. As well as Stan played in the beginning, it's still tough for me to think he would have beat a healthy Rafa.
Like others have mentioned, it was apparent even before. The serve was an obvious tell. Just look at how Rafa's serve progressed from set to set. I was hitting serves harder than that yesterday.

Last edited:
Injury or not, nadal was beat. Stan had control and was about to go up 2 sets, match was over.

Congrats to Stan on his first career Slam victory as well as Wawrinka supporters. No sour grapes here.

Odd circumstances to say the least. Rafa's back injury, Stan's exchange with the chair umpire, fans turning on Nadal, third set rally from Rafa.

Irony is in the silver lining. My belief is Stan was exposed through victory. His first serve return can be exploited regularly, especially to his backhand. Strafing bullet forehands and one-handed backhands down the line won't bail him out in the future.

The crowd and even some NT'ers OD'ed with the Rafa slander. It was a legitimate injury. Not strategic gamesmanship or tactics from a sore loser. Rafa's serve dipped 20 MPH, he showed no movement or agility. He wasn't even moving to return Stan's first serves that painted the corners. Additionally Nadal made a living off his defense. The man never gives up on a single point. To call the injury fraudulent is idiotic. Rafa showed heart, championship qualities to not withdraw. He made it competitive for the fans winning the third set with no mobility.

Hope Nadal is ready for Roland Garros and the back doesn't become reoccurring for him or Muzz.

Whoa brother. Calm down. Stan was exposed on his first serve returning? Your post is the definition of a new tennis follower (seemingly), and I respect and enjoy your posts as much as I do anyones on this forum

If youd like to argue rationally I will!

Regardless of Stans ability to return a first serve, the most important thing is he PROVED HE IS THE MOST MENTALLY STRONG PLAYER ON TOUR. That is something the "analysts" wont ever admit, but plays a role gamblers like myself understand more than any

Tremendous gif bro. That leg work. My god
Thank you! It was a nice learning experience for a first gif (will post more in the future if I have any good clips).

Absolutely devastating one handed BH. This particular one was hit for a straight winner, source

(11:59).

Last edited:

Where is Soderling? Haven't seen lately.
Asking because of Magnus Norman?

Virus has badly damaged his career (prime). Soderling that is.
Yeah, shame about Robin... did they ever reveal what his illness was?  He's been out for so long that it's hard to see him making a comeback... approaching 30, so time's against him.

Anyway... the last AO edition!

Little girl photobombing Li Na...

Na+Li+Australian+Open+2014+Women+Champion+A4C8qsPYLHgx.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+HJcmuSDJuy3x.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+an4Jwvclb_Ex.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+P2ykxq3RVGax.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+cPLoVWB_B5dx.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+WwZROsToXagx.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+dDhZem2pmb0x.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+GTUohtccWWFx.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+iategnScfeax.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+z2uP8mdrW7tx.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+P0ggDS-45zWx.jpg

2014+Australian+Open+Day+14+b64w1-hnf67x.jpg

Appologies for my posts last night, I was absolutely gone. Celebrated Wawa's victory way too hard :-(

Super late to the party. But awesome Tourney. Li Na winning was cool. and that littl 5'3" Domi has my attention now. Stan the man. Way to go, that backhand is dope. Wish I could of developed a 1 hand backhand when I was younger.

Li Na cleans up nice. I wonder if Sampras in his prime could hang with any of the "Big Four"? He was on his way out when I got heavy in to tennis.

I wonder if Sampras in his prime could hang with any of the "Big Four"? He was on his way out when I got heavy in to tennis.
An often asked question... IMO, and I've talked about it a few 
tongue.gif
 times in these thread already, is that the game's changed too much over the past 10 years to make a straight-up comparison.  The court speed, the physical aspect of the game now (and how they train) and the equipment (esp. the strings).  Agassi's said that the polys are so ridiculous (in a good way) that they should be banned... point being, it's made a huge difference to the game now.    Pete used to string his Pro-Staff at +70lbs with natural gut, while Fed (with a similar, almost identical stick) strings a hybrid of gut and poly at around 45lbs.  That's a huge difference. 

The way the game's played is also very different now.  A lot more S&V back then cuz of the variation of court-speed (Wimbledon used to be a lot faster), while the polyester strings nowadays allow players to hit with a lot more spin, which is how they're able to hit these ridiculous angles and passing shots.  I could get into more detail, but then I'd just bore you to tears. 
embarassed.gif

Li Na cleans up nice. I wonder if Sampras in his prime could hang with any of the "Big Four"? He was on his way out when I got heavy in to tennis.

^Is correct in essentially saying that a comparison of eras is basically night and day, but IMO, Sampras' serve combination and general talent would have played in any period. I don't see why he wouldn't have been able to adjust to the contemporary equipment and courts. It would have become been a 'big five,' or perhaps remained a 'big four' with Murray dropping out considering his success has come on hard courts where Pete overwhelmingly excelled.

IMO Pete would be great but he would have to adjust his game from a S&V style to a baseline style. Pete had a great forehand and serve but it is practically impossible to S&V all match long in today's game. Guys are just too good from the baseline to S&V on a consistent basis. I think Andre would have an easier time adjusting due to his baseline game and overall fitness level.

sampras was so dominant in the serve and volley... he was the reason i actually started watching tennis... his style of play was similar to fed as far as playing quickly through each game instead of grinding it out and having patience like nadal....he had the best serve in tennis and it would be difficult to return his serve and players would constantly be on defense which would make him the one of the best serve and volley players to do it...the only problem with pete was he was only good on grass and on hard courts... he was not versatile and cant play on every surface like the players of today

Too many what-ifs... If Pete was playing on today's surfaces, would he S&V as much?  Even on today's grass courts, they've probably slowed enough where his S&V wouldn't haven been as effective.  He's still be a fantastic volleyer, but the guys today are so much better movers that it'll be a tougher-test for him.  In baseline rallies, (despite having a fine baseline game), he'd be at a disadvantage in today's game cuz he doesn't move as well.  Of course, this is the 90's Pete we're talking about here.  Had the same Pete trained like the guys today, would he have been a better mover?  Maybe, but we'll never know.   Like I said... too many what-ifs... hence why I never bought into the GOAT arguments.  Greatest of certain generations... yes... but of all time?  Can't compare, IMO.

I grew up on the 90's game so I might be a bit biased, but I really enjoyed the variety they had back then... S&Vers & baseliners coexisted!   Don't get me wrong, cuz the incredible rallies we're seeing in today's game is ridiculous (Rafa & Nole are incredible physical specimens), but today's game is just a bit too homogenous.  Back then we could have seen S&V vs S&V, S&V vs baseliners & baseliners vs baseliners all in 1 tournament!   Oh well... just the evolution of the game.  

Because of Sampras. I can honestly say I can "dunk." The Sampras way. lol. Although, I don't get up as much as he does. :smokin

Too many what-ifs... If Pete was playing on today's surfaces, would he S&V as much?  Even on today's grass courts, they've probably slowed enough where his S&V wouldn't haven been as effective.  He's still be a fantastic volleyer, but the guys today are so much better movers that it'll be a tougher-test for him.  In baseline rallies, (despite having a fine baseline game), he'd be at a disadvantage in today's game cuz he doesn't move as well.  Of course, this is the 90's Pete we're talking about here.  Had the same Pete trained like the guys today, would he have been a better mover?  Maybe, but we'll never know.   Like I said... too many what-ifs... hence why I never bought into the GOAT arguments.  Greatest of certain generations... yes... but of all time?  Can't compare, IMO.

I grew up on the 90's game so I might be a bit biased, but I really enjoyed the variety they had back then... S&Vers & baseliners coexisted!   Don't get me wrong, cuz the incredible rallies we're seeing in today's game is ridiculous (Rafa & Nole are incredible physical specimens), but today's game is just a bit too homogenous.  Back then we could have seen S&V vs S&V, S&V vs baseliners & baseliners vs baseliners all in 1 tournament!   Oh well... just the evolution of the game.  

Definitely agree. Surfaces nowadays have a lot less variation, meaning everyone plays the same way: long points, baseline play. This especially benefits natural counterpunchers like Murray and you could even argue Nadal. If The big four had played in the 90s, Sampras most likely would have been the top player (while Nadal would probably be toasted on the fast surfaces like Wimbledon).

http://grantland.com/features/court-surfaces-golden-age-men-tennis/

Last edited:
The greatest thing about tennis is that there is always another tournament. Can't wait for the post Oz tournaments like Miami, Charleston and Indian Wells which Serena may play this year.

The greatest thing about tennis is that there is always another tournament. Can't wait for the post Oz tournaments like Miami, Charleston and Indian Wells which Serena may play this year.

I might lose it if I see Serena back at Indian Wells. Hell will have truly frozen over.

^ I don't see that ever happening!  

jumpmantwenty3 ~ Interesting read... thanks.

Of course, you can't really say how any one player would do in a different era cuz players trained and adjusted their games to the current conditions.  Sure putting Rafa in the 90's or putting Pete in the current conditions might yield different results... but at the same time, you can be sure they would have adjusted their games to suit those conditions.

Anyway... some DC action this week.

Serbia+v+Switzerland+bn5lg3NZ7Chx.jpg

Davis+Cup+Serbia+v+Switzerland+Day+1+hvZrkaCL4opx.jpg

So strange... at Petco...

Davis+Cup+San+Diego+Day+1+o7Xj33PoZPZx.jpg

Respectfully, one of the weaker US DC teams I've seen in a long time.

Davis+Cup+San+Diego+Day+1+KQJW3HDo1ZKx.jpg

Davis+Cup+San+Diego+Day+1+Z3k_G0WSp-rx.jpg

Davis+Cup+San+Diego+Day+1+4BETkl7f3tMx.jpg

Back
Top Bottom