||| - The Official Wiz Khalifa Thread [Cabin Fever Out Now] // Rolling Papers out March 29th - |||

Got to go to a private listening party for Rolling Papers earlier this week along with a one on one sit down interview with Wiz. Check it out as he speaks about his new single, being a one hit wonder and the chances of him working with Kanye....Also stay tuned for the Sneaker Watch interview coming soon.

eyes.gif
@the idea that Rolling Papers was gonna satisfy the old fans

Originally Posted by kingofny04

Also stay tuned for the Sneaker Watch interview coming soon.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by PleaseSayTheBaby23

with the let down of RP

im starting to see more Wiz fans lean towards Spitta and the Jets crew, KRIT, & Mac Miller
Not gonna happen at least for Wiz fans going to Spitta and KRIT. Maybe a few to Mac. Regardless of the same content vocally Spitta is completely different from Wiz. Wiz got that breath of fresh air type of voice. A few ppl I put on to How Fly were calling the other %@@*! boring and I can't even fully deny that with Spitta's flow and monotone voice.

Krit's completely different and has his own lane. He'd have a better chance getting the ear of Outkast fans waiting for an Outkast album especially after Return To 4Eva

EDIT

That Amber and Wiz interview seemed awkward as #@#@.

^
yeah I use to get that same way until I took the time to listen to dude and ever since Smokee Robinson he been consistent

I mean both Pilot Talks have that Kush & OJ vibe to it

Just heard the album for the 1st time, straight trash!! He is smashing Amber kudos on that!! Music wise going downhill.....

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Guess I'm one of the few who actually like this album...

/shrug
Yep, cause it's straight garbage truck juice.

I can't get down with this.

The Race, B&Y, Star of the Show, and Rooftops are the only songs worth listening to.

Hopefully he gets it on gear for whenever his next album releases.

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Guess I'm one of the few who actually like this album...

/shrug

I like it, some of the songs are too similar but overall it's solid. Dope beats and foolish laid back lines. That's what I expect from him, it's a little too pop at times

Still didn't give this album another chance after my first listen.. I just have no urge to listen to it again 

I dunno, I can't really see any future albums from Wiz sounding different. I'm sure he'll switch up his approach in certain aspects but I think the formula of

Cabin Fever-esque Mixtape
Rolling Papers-esque Album

will continue.

He'll drop mixtapes with the songs we enjoy and that will be consistent throughout and his albums will have a few songs we dig but that will mostly cater to his other audience.

Originally Posted by Ballerific703

Originally Posted by Caerus

Question, Why was he tearing up crying about his "1st album" release? He released 2 before...

It's a big deal that he "made it". First major label album and he's big right now. Gonna do around 200K for his first week sales and "Black and Yellow" is at double platinum. I was at Best Buy and I was happy for him. Been playing him ever since I heard "Say Yeah" and to see him finally get recognized is dope. 
this. only reason i copped the album...good to see a guy finally make it from the underground.

Originally Posted by JrockNIKErock

Originally Posted by Caerus

Question, Why was he tearing up crying about his "1st album" release? He released 2 before...

It's a big deal that he "made it". First major label album and he's big right now. Gonna do around 200K for his first week sales and "Black and Yellow" is at double platinum. I was at Best Buy and I was happy for him. Been playing him ever since I heard "Say Yeah" and to see him finally get recognized is dope. 
this. only reason i copped the album...good to see a guy finally make it from the underground.

but he made it by going mainstream.

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Originally Posted by JrockNIKErock

but he made it by going mainstream.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

wiz never struck me as a person who has a strong backbone...maybe on camera, but behind closed doors I always got the sense he was willing to sacrifice whatever to make it big.
I havent listened to the album, but cabin fever is eh....each song sounds like a slight variation of the previous song, the complete opposite of kush & oj

Don't know why with all that buzz, selling out show to show and for sure having more artistic control, he was so keen to go mainstream and face the very strong likelihood of becoming irrelevant like the 99.9% of artists who go major to only then be rejected by a mainstream audience after an initial buzz. And then what? From the posts here, it's looking he's beginning to slowly lose that support from the pre black and orange fanbase.

But who knows....maybe he becomes this generation's snoop dogg (assuming snoop will ever give up that crown)

wiz and drake both went for the same approach

pretty much tryna be an icon before fully becoming an artist

i think drake noticed his mistake and is now falling back to regain some steam and to insure he doesn't over saturate the market

it's funny because they both had the game in the palm of their hands prior to their debut album and blew it

other artists before them all had strong debut albums because they were cultivating the album for years and hand picked the best of all songs recorded

these new artists wait til they get a huge buzz and then create an album tailored to the new attention

guaranteed lack of replay value and weaker product overall

i know people will come back with record sale stats but that's nt for you

the thing that is making me
laugh.gif
 about all of this backlash for the album being to pop is the fact that its Wiz....... hes BEEN working around pop hits, his fan base is largely made up of college kids and youngins WTH did yall expect KushxOJ pt 2.... its a decent album and overall wiz has given me more good music than most artist in the past year so im fine wit it

Ok if not 10... what? 6?

That's still not impressive, G?

K&OJ couldn't have been an album?

POTC2 wasn't a banger? Cabin Fever wasn't a banger?

Flight School was damn near perfect.

The way I see it, I can let dude slide with a "weak" debut album. He's earned it. That's just me though.

(Not singling you out, Tyler) But You'd think dudes would put 2 & 2 together and realize these labels want a certain type of album to distribute.

How many "Man this guy's album is totally different from his mixtapes!!!!" posts does it take for people to realize the pattern? Here of all places should have people understand how different tastes are.

Therefore you (the artist) has to make a single/album that can be sold to as many different types of people as possible. Hence, this sing-song %*!%. And furthermore, keep it funky, half the people belly-aching about this album, didn't buy or didn't even plan on it.

what happend wiz!?!?!?!

he signed and flipped the script. this album and cabin fever are the opposite of all the older tapes i adore: kush & oj, star power, flight school, prince of the city ...

i just took rolling papers and cabin fever off my ipod. yeah i said it, they are not for me.

for those who like it, enjoy.

Originally Posted by HypeBeast McStreetwear

Ok if not 10... what? 6?

That's still not impressive, G?

K&OJ couldn't have been an album?

POTC2 wasn't a banger? Cabin Fever wasn't a banger?

Flight School was damn near perfect.

The way I see it, I can let dude slide with a "weak" debut album. He's earned it. That's just me though.

(Not singling you out, Tyler) But You'd think dudes would put 2 & 2 together and realize these labels want a certain type of album to distribute.

How many "Man this guy's album is totally different from his mixtapes!!!!" posts does it take for people to realize the pattern? Here of all places should have people understand how different tastes are.

Therefore you (the artist) has to make a single/album that can be sold to as many different types of people as possible. Hence, this sing-song %*!%. And furthermore, keep it funky, half the people belly-aching about this album, didn't buy or didn't even plan on it.

My exact sentiments.....he's gonna continue to do him on the mixtapes and be the pop star on the albums...win/win situation IMO.

Back
Top Bottom